replica thompson "tommy" gun questions...

PDA

effengee
September 1, 2009, 10:02 PM
I was wondering if anybody might know where to get a cheap tommy gun replica for a halloween prop...

If you enjoyed reading about "replica thompson "tommy" gun questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
September 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
Do you mean a plastic replica, or a metal one? I'd look at costume stores first, then google around and see what you can come up with as far as airsoft/pellet gun type things.

If you're looking for something more realistic, I'm afraid you might have to quickly re-define your idea of "cheap".

Good luck! I think an airsoft tommygun would be pretty awesome.

Quiet
September 1, 2009, 11:32 PM
+1 on getting an airsoft Thompson to use as a non-firing replica.

Tommygunn
September 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Try International Military Antiques www.ima-usa.com.
Or Guns R Us. (Don't know the URL)
Be prepared for $700 to $900 prices. I bought a dummy Thompson back when they were about $650.

Airsoft has a electric Thompson M1A1 for $200 and a Tokyo Marui version which is a slightly better quality for $300. There's a cheaper spring type that has a vertical foregrip & phony 50 round drum but I don't know the price offhand.

In anycase the Airsoft would be your best bet as far as price.

EDIT: Ouch. Just checked IMA's sight. Dummy Thompson: $945.00.

Airsoft is lookin' better .......

Gunnerpalace
September 2, 2009, 12:38 AM
Ebay has M1's and M1928's 200+.

cchris
September 2, 2009, 02:37 AM
http://www.pinatas.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=152477&AID=10273801&PID=2007032&SID=14010202

$8.99 plus S&H.

It's a Halloween costume - no need to spend hundreds on it.

effengee
September 2, 2009, 07:08 AM
thanx to cchris...

Yeah, i've seen these but they don't look right...

almostfree
September 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
Ouch. Just checked IMA's sight. Dummy Thompson: $945.00.

Geez, for that kind of money I think I would just get a semi-auto reproduction. Of course that might not work to well for a halloween costume.

Tommygunn
September 2, 2009, 11:44 AM
Almostfree:

Yeah! Well, I don't really care for the neutered semi version.:barf:

The dummy is actually made from a real Thompson, and they're gettin' scarce, and things ain't gettin' cheaper.

The Airsoft may still be the best bet.
I have seen the spring version, as I said, and it would work great for a holloween prop. More expensive than that $8.99 toy Tommygun an earlier poster linked to ...but also more realistic!;)

Owen Sparks
September 2, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have an Airsoft replica. Except for the red plastic gizmo on the barrel, you can't distinguish it from the real thing at ten feet. I would be hesitant to use a realistic looking gun as a costume prop though. I worked as a bouncer in a past life and came close to really hurting some goober who walked in the bar and pointed a plastic pistol at me one Halloween. I did not recognize the individual (a regular) or even notice his cowboy outfit until I had him on the ground. All I saw was the gun and responded appropriately.

theotherwaldo
September 2, 2009, 02:34 PM
Here's a link to a spring gun for $79.95 plus S&H (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-SA-43720.htm).

http://www.airsplat.com/Images/AR-SA-43720.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.

RevolvingGarbage
September 2, 2009, 03:15 PM
And if you want the M1A1 the chinese AEG version is nice, and not much more expensive.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/product_p/71015.htm

Its not like you have to throw it away after halloween after all, keep the costume and wear it to a WWII (assuming thats your costume) themed airsoft game.

Tommygunn
September 2, 2009, 05:43 PM
RG, that's the one I have. I see the price has gone down since I bought mine.

Theowaldo: the one in the link you provided says it's been discontinued.

theotherwaldo
September 2, 2009, 06:14 PM
-I'd call 'em anyway. Discontinued doesn't mean out of stock.

Dr.Rob
September 2, 2009, 06:19 PM
Many of those plastic spring guns look really good from ONE side, the other is full of screw holes, just FYI.

rcmodel
September 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
I would be hesitant to use a realistic looking gun as a costume prop though.Me too!
Hardly a year goes by that you don't read about someone getting shot while weilding a fake gun on Halloween that somebody else thought was real.

Not to mention the "man with a gun" calls to the cops.

Just not worth it anymore.
The world has got too crazy!

rc

RevolvingGarbage
September 2, 2009, 07:51 PM
I dont know, I used my Tokyo Marui SPAS-12 shotgun (airsoft for those who dont know) as a prop to my full MARPAT w/tac gear costume last year. I even used it as a pimp cane. Nobody batted an eyebrow. It is halloween, and for better or worse I think alot of people accept seeing things that might normally suprise/freak them out.

cchris
September 2, 2009, 09:21 PM
Curious to see what reaction I get if I dress as the Burn Notice guy and carry a SIG into a party..."Whoah, that thing looks real!"

...:D just kidding. Last year the only "dangerous" thing I brought to a party was flammable alcohol.

Owen Sparks
September 3, 2009, 12:05 AM
Dr Rob said: Many of those plastic spring guns look really good from ONE side, the other is full of screw holes, just FYI.

Mine was like that until I filled all the screw holes with the picture frame nail hole filler in the right shade of brown. Now you can't even tell that it was altered.

olla86
September 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Very often such weapon is a part of a fancy dress...:confused:

Dr.Rob
September 3, 2009, 01:44 AM
Fancy dress = Brit speak for 'costume'

Owen, been waiting for the $$ to drop on that model as it's one of THE most requested prop guns people ask me about.

If you enjoyed reading about "replica thompson "tommy" gun questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!