"About.com" article on home defense

PDA

Yoda
September 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
"About.com" has an quick read that examines the effectiveness of different rifle calibers for home defense. Remarkedly, it recommends against .223 due to its over-penetration, but it suggests .44 Mag is better because it won't penetrate as much. (It also alleges that .44 is OK for hunting Black Bear. I dunno.... I'd use the biggest gun I could lift, unless I could get a .45/70 Gatling Gun on a carriage.)

Read it for yourself and form your own opinion:
http://hunting.about.com/od/ammo/a/besthuntingrifleforhomedefense.htm

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about ""About.com" article on home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scythefwd
September 2, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yoda,
It depends on where in the country you are whether the .44 mag is good enough for black bear. Round here, they don't get too big. In Oregon.... well lets just say its .308 win and up.

Tirod
September 3, 2009, 01:34 PM
Few people in this state hunt a pistol cartridge in a rifle because the ballistics are so poor. Even the venerable .30-30 is greatly improved in Leverevolution because the drop at 200 yards out is halved.

Absent a detailed set of reasons why the .223 is fair at home defense, but the next caliber up is poor (?) it becomes necessary to say, what's the bloggers opinion worth? Add in the complete absence of using a shotgun for home defense, and with slugs for hunting - as is required in some states.

It boils down to the same credibility of the Gov't's web page suggesting everything to have for an emergency - but never mentioning a gun at all. I think many know better than that.

Like my post right here, you can get any opinion on the internet, but it doesn't make it valid. You have to think it through and find out what applies for you.

bpl
September 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a .223 using ballistic tips like Hornady TAP, etc. was a pretty minimal wall penetrator, with less over-penetration than pistol caliber sub-guns while retaining equal or superior stopping performance, which is why law enforcement has gone to AR-15 mostly.

Justin
September 3, 2009, 02:30 PM
[pet peeve]

I freaking hate the articles at About.com. They're riddled with errors, any info that is generally useful is too skimpy and general to be of any use, and the articles are usually written by idiots.

I wish I could tell Google to never, ever, under any circumstances return search results from About.com. That website is worse than useless.

[/pet peeve]

Sheepdog1968
September 3, 2009, 02:36 PM
The best site I've seen on penetration is theboxotruth.com From what I recall, everything he tested went through enough sheetrock to go into the next room. This website is very extensive and tries to be reasonably scientific about the testing. Not much text and many pictures.

blutarsky
September 3, 2009, 03:06 PM
sorry, off-topic, but...
I wish I could tell Google to never, ever, under any circumstances return search results from About.com. That website is worse than useless.

did a quick google search for "google omit results from specific domain" and came up with the following:

http://www.greghughes.net/rant/HowToExcludeADomainFromYourGoogleSearchResults.aspx

But what if you don't want to specify the domain to exclude every time by hand? In that case, set up a Google Custom Search Engine (http://www.google.com/coop/cse/) and specify during setup that you want your custom search engine to include results from the entire Internet. Then, after your search engine has been created, go to the Control Panel, choose the "Sites" tab, and from there you can specify as many domains as you like to exclude from every search. You'll get a custom search engine that you can tweak to your heart's content.

PandaBearBG
September 3, 2009, 05:36 PM
Agreed with Justin, this "blogger" sounds like an idiot. I'd rather get some input from someone who has actually tested all these calibers with HANDS on experience on penetration. Opposed to making his best top super list of what he THINKS. IMO for a budget on one duel use hunting/home defense rifle is any rifle at all. If you only have money for one rifle, the caliber you choose is gonna be the one you hunt with, whether small game or large game. Considering that's your only rifle THAT decides what your home defense rifle caliber is. Now if you want to hee haw about "well I'd choose a better caliber for home defense" that means you'd buy a firearm solely for home defense and that would most likely be a Shotgun or handgun.

The author of that article is an idiot.

ArfinGreebly
September 3, 2009, 07:28 PM
[pet peeve]

I freaking hate the articles at About.com. They're riddled with errors, any info that is generally useful is too skimpy and general to be of any use, and the articles are usually written by idiots.

[/pet peeve]

Try this format:
example search terms:

"home defense" -site:about.com

Note the minus (dash) before the "site:" parameter.

If you enjoyed reading about ""About.com" article on home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!