Buying an SKS

PDA

BillyDa59
September 3, 2009, 01:44 AM
I've been getting fairly serious with the idea of buying an SKS. For awhile I've wanted a cheap plinking rifle with cheap ammunition. The SKS presented itself as a fairly obvious answer after a short bit of searching.

So I've begun saving a few bucks here and there, keeping a written inventory of any SKS rifles I see in pawnshops, and just going crazy about this gun. I've finally settled on the idea of getting a Yugoslavian rifle. From everything I've read/heard, they are great quality and just generally durable guns. Plus I think, for novelty's sake, that it's kind of cool to have an old military rifle.

The only Yugoslavian I can readily purchase is at a nearby pawnshop. The stock is in a very worn condition with a large gouge in it and the finish on it looks just generally crappy. I don't mind this at all though. I think it adds character and I'll be beating the snot out of the poor rifle anyways. The inside of the gun is in nice shape though.

My question here is; how cheap should I be able to buy this rifle? Obviously I am not going pay the full $399 that is written on the tag. But I don't want to insult the shop owner by demanding something ridiculously low. I believe I should be able to work the price of the rifle down to ~$325. Am I right? This is just the last thing I need to check up on before I go and buy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying an SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flashcube
September 3, 2009, 04:29 AM
I usually see good to very good condition used Yugo SKS' go for $250~$300 around here. One of my local haunts has new, never issued Yugos for around $350 now and then. I don't know what the market is like in your area, but what you've described seems a bit ridiculous for a beater. :scrutiny: I'd shop around some more, there have to be some better deals out there.

Almond27
September 3, 2009, 04:52 AM
Thats too high on a beater SKS i would at the most offer $250 and that is pushing it.

BillyDa59
September 3, 2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, SKS rifles around here (King County, WA) seem kinda expensive. I see them online for a quite a bit cheaper. If you guys really think that a GOOD condition Yugoslavian rifle should go for $250 then I'll see if I can get the guy to sell his for $200. I don't plan to pay a cent over $225 with what you guys have said. Also, I'm going to wait for the October gun show to see if maybe I can buy a beaten SKS there. Thanks guys.

CZguy
September 3, 2009, 05:38 AM
Thats too high on a beater SKS i would at the most offer $250 and that is pushing it.

Plus 1.

Remember pawn shops tend to put a ridiculously high price tag on things as a starting point in negotiations. Offer him the most it's worth to you (in cash) and be prepared to walk away if he say's no. The world is full of used SKSs.

PandaBearBG
September 3, 2009, 05:55 AM
Yeah $200 sounds better for a beater SKS, for $325 maybe spend $50 and get an AK, prices are a droppin'!!

Storm
September 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'd keep looking. Around here $240 will get you a Yugo in really good condition. BTW, if the Yugos that you're looking at have the grenade launch fittings you may want to reconsider. There are many reports of issues with the gas cutoff switch, and, that rifle has an awful lot of weight out front that really screws up the balance. For $300 I'd go with a Norinco or a Romanian.

briansmithwins
September 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
Check gunbroker.com You can use them for pricing (add $30 for a transfer to the price) or just buy one online.

I do use a local pawn shop for transfers as he only charges $10.

$400 is crazy for a Yugo. Mint Russian SKSs were going for less than that recently. BSW

shaggy430
September 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
You should be able to find an SKS for $250 or much less. I personally like the Norincos a little better than the Yugos, but that's my opinion.

AZAviator
September 3, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah King County is over priced, I used to shop at the store in Bellevue just down from the mall (8th ave I think). I bought my Mosin there 4 years ago for like $70. Obviously different weapons but their prices were always pretty good I thought and they have alot of surplus + new. I think it was called Wades Guns or something...

Check there, but ultimately private sellers are a dieing market, you can buy almost everything online for cheaper. Kind of sad. Let me know, I almost bought an SKS a while ago but decided against it.

SteveCase
September 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
try and get a NIB i bought a used one and it sucks man, it wont cyce at all unless i spray down the bullets and the chamber with wit some CLP, the bores it pitted, but i got it for about 175 so yea

bang_bang
September 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
I bought a rather ugly Paratrooper SKS during the Obama mess for $200 shipped. Someone had took Krylon to it...I believe they though they ruined the rifle. I cleaned it up a bit (barrel is still painted...figured it would prevent rust quite well) and found very little pitting in the barrel. Shoots fine, functions flawlessly...I'm pleased with it.

A NIB SKS or a used one in good condition can be found for the same price as the one in question. Even a Saiga can be had for close to that price.

Phydeaux642
September 3, 2009, 10:43 PM
I bought a Norinco last year that wasn't too bad for $235. During the height of the panic this year I bought a really nice Norinco for $295. I thought I paid too much for both of them, but they aren't that common around here anymore.

VeggieH
September 4, 2009, 12:44 AM
just got a norinco with folding stock,original low #ed stock,bayonet,and side mount red dot sights(russian military issue),two 30 round mags, with a little ammo $400 out the door,I think I did alright.....:D

BMW2
September 4, 2009, 05:15 AM
It's not mine, saw it tonight though. Vancouver is a bit of a drive but he might meet you somewhere.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13932

CZguy
September 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
"Pissing your pants will only keep you warm for so long."

And you know this..........how? :D

clone
September 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
Walter Oakley,

Where?

Ratshooter
September 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
I would have bought it but I don't like buying from individuals I don't know and will never see again.

Dang!!! That the kinda deals I like to get.

Get the Norinco not the yugo. The norincos have a chrome bore and chamber. I have two. A paratrooper and the rifle. The paratrooper belonged to my dad. He never fired it. The rifle versoin I bought unfired for $225. Both have had 80 rounds through them. I had another norinco I shot the snot out of it. It was a real shooter too. Never had any kind of misfeed or malfunction.

Of the two I like shooting the rifle better. I like the shorty but it has more muzzle blast.

tjrahl
September 4, 2009, 10:52 PM
Get a norinco not a yugo, you will save far more than the price difference by not visiting me (gunsmith) nearly as often as you would with your yugo.

And if you do buy a yugo for the love of god NO GRENADE LAUNCHING RAIL!!!!

That one device is the cause of more failure to cycle issues in sks's than any other!

Ignition Override
September 5, 2009, 03:03 AM
In March of '08, several months before the pres. election, GB listed lots of Norinco SKS rifles at about $270-300.

Keep in mind that unless you really want an awkward, unuseable grenade launcher, that makes the rifle almost as long as a Mosin Nagant 91/30, or longer than my Lee-Enfield #4.

Two other advantage to a Norinco are:
1) There are a huge number out there (keeps prices down),
2) It costs less than a similar Russian, and
3) Although the bayonet is not a blade (people sell spike bayos for $10 at gun shows), the Norinco has a chrome-lined bore.

Some other SKS gurus' comments can be found within a minute at "SKSboards".
They even have a forum for the Albanians, and lots of those guys live with their rifles around the clock.

clone
September 5, 2009, 12:18 PM
Walter Oakley,

Hrrm, that is out of range. :(

ijosef
September 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm looking for a DeLorean with a flux capacitor that will allow me to go back in time when you could buy an SKS for $60 and 1500 rounds of milsurp 7.2x39mm for $99 from a gunshow.

Seriously though, I bought my Norinco SKS for $200 bills earlier this year. It's in decent shape with a good bore, although the wood is a bit beat (aren't they all?) and of course it doesn't have matching numbers. It's a decent shooter, although I can't comment on accuracy since I'm a lousy marksman. The only thing I don't like about it is the short stock, and the fact that I hit myself in the face with the back of my right hand half the time. I don't want a plastic replacement stock, so I'm thinking about a recoil pad that will add a little to the LOP.

I also would like one of those fiberglass stocks the Chinese made for their SKS rifles to prevent jungle rot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying an SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!