Copper washed lead

PDA

giggitygiggity
September 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
What are copper washed lead bullets? Are these the same as FMJ or JHP or other jacketed bullets? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper washed lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marlin 45 carbine
September 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
they are mostly made for indoor ranges that don't allow the use of cast slugs. a thin coating (washing) of copper is applied. myself I found that the accuracy isn't near as good as jacketed slugs or even good quality lead (uncoated)

rcmodel
September 3, 2009, 03:41 PM
A .22 LR rim-fire "Golden bullet" is a copper washed lead bullet, as was the old Winchester-Western "Lubaloy" bullets.

Basically, it is far thinner then a real copper jacket, and much thinner then a plated bullet. More like a thick dusting actually.

I used to shoot them in .357 years ago.
Haven't even seen any for some time though.

rc

Steve C
September 3, 2009, 05:54 PM
Copper washed bullets have a very thin coating of copper plated on to them. Not near as thick as those from Rainier or Berry's. They may even be lubed like a typical cast bullet in addition to having this light copper plating. Speer Gold Dot bullets are also copper plated but the platting build up is as thick as jacketed bullets and they are swagged and sized to form their hollow point and profile.

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper washed lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!