New to Reloading

PDA

tschlich
September 3, 2009, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have experience with the VitaVouhri brand of powder? My local shop has some left on the shelf. I know there are other brands but they are out of them right now and I am not in the market yet to buy in bulk to absorb the Hazmat fee. Any help would be great.

I am looking at the N130 and N340 for .223 and 9MM, 45 ACP respectively.

Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "New to Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
September 3, 2009, 02:57 PM
Excellent powders. Pricy, but very good.

N310 is great for light target loads in .45 & .38 Spl. Probably other uses.

N320 is a great all around .45 powder. Great for light 9MM loads.

N330 is a great 9MM powder. I had no luck with it in .45.

N340 will push the .45 to it's limit. It seems to give more recoil than some other powders for the same velocity in .45. It works great in 9MM.

N133 is the powder of choice for benchresters and the 6PPC cartridge. I have never used it in .223, but it should work well.

Welcome to THR

lgbloader
September 3, 2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with my buddy Walkalong.

N320 is my favorite powder.
I use it for .45 ACP and 9MM

N330 is good stuff in 9MM

3N37 is Awesome for Full throttle 9MM Loads although Power Pistol is also good for this.

LGB

tschlich
September 3, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info. The N133 is in a 2lb. container and didn't want to commit to so much powder if I didn't like it. The prices are a little more than the others but seem to not use as much on some loads so should last a while.

Tim

Walkalong
September 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
Here is a link to some Vihtavuori data (http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=850), if you haven't already seen it. Download on the right side of the page.

WNTFW
September 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
tschlich,
I understand your dilema.
Now with powder and primer availabilty being spotty ( I believe it is getting a little better) I would say buy the 2 lbs of powder. As a new reloader you could go through a pound easily. At least on .223 there are a lot of good powder and guys sharing info.
It is very frustrating to have a load figured out and not be able to replicate the load due to component availability. You can use up about 10-20% of a pound of powder doing load testing. More so for a new guy.
I am starting to get into alternate loads for every thing. I had to load test last night indoors at 50yds with a .308 just because I couldn't hold out for Varget any longer. I was just glad I had a place to do that.
Primers are the same story. Find somone locally & split the fees if possible. I just put together a group buy locally and we split the shipping fees 5 ways. It was under $8 each. We let some juniors shooter have their shipping free. We put the group buy together very hastily.
I would try bullets in 100 rnd lots until you get them to shoot or not then buy bulk. At least on bullets there is no hazmat.

jcwit
September 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
Benchrest shooters love the powder. Probably the best out there.

rfwobbly
September 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
Tim -

I find N320 to be better for 115gr and 124gr in 9mm. I save my N340 for 147gr in 9mm. Lyman lists the N340 as the most accurate for that weight.

At least in my CZ the stuff burns so clean I can hardly tell I've been out shooting. And you're going to really like how it meters.

If you mention VV to most people, the first words are "expensive", but if you'll work out your cost-per-shot you'll most likely see only a fraction of a cent more than other name-brand powders.

Hope this helps!

If you enjoyed reading about "New to Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!