Custom Buttstock Project

PDA

kmcintosh78
September 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, so i have officially started my custom buttstock project for my Saiga 308.

Got cut outs done for the original stock and the A1 style buttstock.

I am hoping to get the roughed out form in wood, completed this weekend.
I will post progress and pics as it goes along.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Buttstock Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Norinco982lover
September 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
I am looking forward to the pics and update!

kmcintosh78
September 8, 2009, 02:24 PM
Did not get to rough out the design onto wood. The kids consumed all my time. Hopefully will be able to borrow my friend's Sawzall and will get it cut tomorrow.

Norinco982lover
September 8, 2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds good! Looking forward to it.

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 11:47 AM
Ok, so here are the pics I promised.

First and second pics are of the original butt stock.

Third is the paper trace of the original and the new design.

Fourth through eighth are of the new wood stock I just finished roughing out. Completed in about an hour this morning. I have no formal wood crafting training, and no professional tools.

Last of of the only tools I have used so far. Only other will be a sander for shaping.

I will make sure tonight that the forward portion of the new butt stock will slide into the rear of the rifle. As soon as that is confirmed, I will be shaping the butt stock, coating it with a hard plastic/rubber coating, fabricating an adjustable rear end and bending some hard plastic for an adjustable cheek piece.

Tell me what you think.

P.B.Walsh
September 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'll be looking foward to the end result. How do you plan to coat it with hard pastic and rubber?

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'll be looking foward to the end result. How do you plan to coat it with hard pastic and rubber?
Don't know yet.
Thought about trying the Dipping Rubber thing, but kind of unsure about it.

I know Wally Mart has the Rhino coating like stuff in a spray can.

Either way, I will need to primer it first.

Any suggestions??

P.B.Walsh
September 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hmmmm, Rhino Liner (you know, the thing for truck beds)???..

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hmmmm, Rhino Liner (you know, the thing for truck beds)???..
That would be nice, but I am on a budget.
That is one thing I forgot to include in this project, is my budget and pricing.

Budget is "Shoe String".
Only thing I have paid out for is the attachment for the dremel, $18.00 at Lowes, so far.

BCRider
September 11, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've done a couple of stocks for paintball guns but not for the real thing so far. I found that the most useful shaping tool was a couple of coarse cut NEW metal files. You want new ones and to use them only for wood or aluminium since cutting steel with them will take off the keen edge that does so well on the wood. They carve away the wood pretty well for shaping but leave a much less rough finish and no tear out like you get with actual wood rasps. And for wasting away bigger chunks in prep for the file shaping a coping saw or using a bandsaw with the stock angled works pretty well.

I don't know what you have for a vise but by far the most useful tool for shaping and sanding is a good heavy bench and vise. You need both hands on the tools and the stock needs to be supported solidly. If you don't have a vise like this then get a piece of fir or other harder wood and make up the end so it holds the stock blank like the rifle's receiver and mount the stock so you can then clamp the wooden receiver to a bench with some clamps. Some sort of steady blocking to take the pressure of shaping it would be a great idea as well. Work slow and test the shape for fit often.

Looking forward to seeing what it comes out looking like. It's an odd looking sort of "tactical" shape from the looks of the blank.

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 01:29 PM
I've done a couple of stocks for paintball guns but not for the real thing so far. I found that the most useful shaping tool was a couple of coarse cut NEW metal files. You want new ones and to use them only for wood or aluminium since cutting steel with them will take off the keen edge that does so well on the wood. They carve away the wood pretty well for shaping but leave a much less rough finish and no tear out like you get with actual wood rasps. And for wasting away bigger chunks in prep for the file shaping a coping saw or using a bandsaw with the stock angled works pretty well.

I don't know what you have for a vise but by far the most useful tool for shaping and sanding is a good heavy bench and vise. You need both hands on the tools and the stock needs to be supported solidly. If you don't have a vise like this then get a piece of fir or other harder wood and make up the end so it holds the stock blank like the rifle's receiver and mount the stock so you can then clamp the wooden receiver to a bench with some clamps. Some sort of steady blocking to take the pressure of shaping it would be a great idea as well. Work slow and test the shape for fit often.

Looking forward to seeing what it comes out looking like. It's an odd looking sort of "tactical" shape from the looks of the blank.
Thanks for the advice. I was going to go the route of using an electric sander to shape it. I am an old metal worker at heart, and I like to take it slow. You know, like the old adage of measure twice, cut once.

The shape is that of the stocks offered by J. Allen Enterprises.

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
Here is a picture of where I got my inspiration.

BCRider
September 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
Going slow is always a good thing when you're doing something new. The standard joke upon finding that something was cut too small was to get out the wood stretcher. But for some reason the tool stores always seem to be out of stock on those.... :D

An angle sander would certainly do the job but for me I just hate the dust and noise. That's why I described my own tools of choice. I also find that I have far more control with the files for the close in shaping to get surfaces fair and even. And with the pace forced on me with the files I tend to double check stuff during the shaping far more often and avoid going too far. Out of the 4 to 6 hours it takes to do a stock by hand I probably spend a 1/3 of that checking the fit and shaping and working out the details I'm trying to enhance in my mind. The last thing I need while working this way is a tool that removes material faster than my brain is developing the desired shape.

kmcintosh78
September 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
I agree. When I did metal work, I always paid close attention to sizes, so i did not have to use the "metal stretcher". Well, actually you can stretch metal.
But, since returning to the Telecom field, we are always looking for the cable stretcher.

Thanks again.

Norinco982lover
September 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, looking good!

~Norinco

kmcintosh78
September 15, 2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, so I finished the basic design a couple days ago. Today I got the stock glued together, etched the handgrip and smoothed everything out.

Again, all I used was the Dremel (I would love to take the guy who invented it out for a steal dinner), the router/cutting attachment and a vibrating sander.

kmcintosh78
September 15, 2009, 01:22 AM
I will get it primed and painted over the next couple of days.
I will keep'em coming.

kmcintosh78
September 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
So I found the Spray Can version of the Plastic Dip. Stuff goes on really well. I will get pics up tomorrow.

nwilliams
September 16, 2009, 07:48 PM
Looking good!:cool:

Wish I had woodworking skills:(

kmcintosh78
September 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, just pulled the stock from the drying sting and it looks good.
Yes, I know there are some blemishes, but they will be covered by an adjustable rear portion of the butt stock, and the top will have an adjustable cheek rest.

nwilliams, I have no past wood working skills either. The dremel is a hobbyists' holy grail. That thing can do anything you want.

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ok, so I am about 90% complete. I need to fabricate and install the rear butt pad. I am going to use a wood piece, and use 2 rods with springs on the out portion to act as a recoil buffer, and a bolt to keep it in place. Going to scrap the cheek rest, as I discovered it is not needed.

Norinco982lover
September 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, I can't tell if I love it or hate it! Mine is completely converted so I really can't imagine that stock on mine.

Looks good!

Maverick223
September 22, 2009, 02:46 PM
Looks good, but I would have stained it black instead of plasti-dip, but whatever floats your boat. The pistol grip looks awful spindly...hope it doesn't break on you...but, it might be alright being plywood...I mean laminate. :D

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 03:37 PM
Looks good, but I would have stained it black instead of plasti-dip, but whatever floats your boat. The pistol grip looks awful spindly...hope it doesn't break on you...but, it might be alright being plywood...I mean laminate. :D
Thanks. I tried black, but it did not look and feel right. The plastic dip peeled in a small area, and i just finished pulling it all of, and I am thinking of trying the truck bed liner.
The pictures are a little deceiving, the neck area where it looks tiny is more then 1.25 inches thick in all direction.

BRad704
September 22, 2009, 03:44 PM
What wood did you use for this? I had a similar idea, but couldnt decide what I wanted to use, so the idea has been on hold for a while...

Maverick223
September 22, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I tried black, but it did not look and feel right. The plastic dip peeled in a small area, and i just finished pulling it all of, and I am thinking of trying the truck bed liner.Unless you have already tried it, I would give it a light sanding and try black (or very dark gray) woodworking stain. I think it would look great and pull out a little of the grain on the wood.

The pictures are a little deceiving, the neck area where it looks tiny is more then 1.25 inches thick in all direction.God news, you should be fine in that case. :)

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 04:29 PM
What wood did you use for this? I had a similar idea, but couldnt decide what I wanted to use, so the idea has been on hold for a while...
I used what I had laying around. It wood used for back boards for mounting telecom equipment. Go figure.

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
Maverick223, Yeah I tried that. Since it is wood that I had around, and this is being done on a budget, the wood has too many imperfections for stain.

I just applied the first coat of bed liner, and it went on great. I will do a write up on it as soon as I get the project completed.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 22, 2009, 04:35 PM
With all the effort you spent on the custom stock, you could have just converted it :-/ and used one of the many Dragunov-looking stocks

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 04:50 PM
With all the effort you spent on the custom stock, you could have just converted it :-/ and used one of the many Dragunov-looking stocks
Yeah, but what fun is that.
I am on a budget, I love the SOCOM look, and I am not getting into trouble by using free time for a project.
I have never done wood working, and am almost done with my first project.

Maverick223
September 22, 2009, 05:09 PM
Maverick223, Yeah I tried that. Since it is wood that I had around, and this is being done on a budget, the wood has too many imperfections for stain.10-4, then spray (or roll on) bedliner seems like it might be the ticket for you, IIRC there are a few companies that will give you a small sample that might be enough to finish your stock. ;)

kmcintosh78
September 22, 2009, 05:27 PM
10-4, then spray (or roll on) bedliner seems like it might be the ticket for you, IIRC there are a few companies that will give you a small sample that might be enough to finish your stock. ;)
Got a can of leftover from a buddy. Just got the second coat, and it looks great.

Maverick223
September 22, 2009, 05:31 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal. ;) Be sure and post pics when it's complete.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 22, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, but what fun is that.
I am on a budget, I love the SOCOM look, and I am not getting into trouble by using free time for a project.
I have never done wood working, and am almost done with my first project.

Not trying to trash your work, you did a good job, but in my opinion it just looks odd and if its about to snap. I think a conversion with a thumbhole stock would have looked much nicer. Just my .02

kmcintosh78
September 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
Not trying to trash your work, you did a good job, but in my opinion it just looks odd and if its about to snap. I think a conversion with a thumbhole stock would have looked much nicer. Just my .02
Not offended in any way. I asked for opinions and I get some.
No worries.

So I got the second coat of bed liner on, and it is amazing what a different paint can do. When I mocked it up yesterday, it looked Ok, but looked off in the pics.
Now it looks great and I think the pics show that as well.

kmcintosh78
September 29, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ok, so I scrapped the first butt stock. It looked to thin, once mounted to the rifle. I fabricated a new stock, and I am about 3/4 done.
Here are some pics.

BRad704
September 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
Good thinkin'! Thats not something you want failing and exploding with your hand and face pressed into it....

I have thought about doing something similar for my 870, but dont know how the laminate would hold up to the shock load...

kmcintosh78
September 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
Good thinkin'! Thats not something you want failing and exploding with your hand and face pressed into it....

I have thought about doing something similar for my 870, but dont know how the laminate would hold up to the shock load...
From my research, a laminate wood will handle shock greater then solid soft woods. I used 2 pieces, which is a total thickness of 1 3/6 inches.
I will post more pics as I go.

Norinco982lover
September 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
The new one looks much better sized. Better too big than too small! This one will be even more awesome:D

Keep this up and you'll be making a stock for my Saiga 7.62x39... i've found the $30 tapco fixed stock I have is just too short for me...when I try and get a cheek weld my nose hits the back of the receiver with the recoil. :(

~Norinco

Maverick223
September 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
Looks much better IMO...Good work. :)

kmcintosh78
September 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have also fabricated a rubber mounted rear butt for it. Pics soon.

PandaBearBG
September 29, 2009, 04:25 PM
Pretty Good, I used Douglas Fir for my "Savage AICS" stock.

Maverick223
September 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
Pretty Good, I used Douglas Fir for my "Savage AICS" stock.Re-use the old Christmas tree did ya'? Pics or it didn't happen. :)

rizbunk77
September 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
I took my original Saiga Buttstock, cut and sanded off 1.75 inches so it was exactly flat and square, created a wood block out to fit into the hollow center so that I could mount a Morgan adjustable pad. I like the setup because it is now fit to my length of pull and looks pretty good. This project is more ambitious than I could take on, but congratulations on it. I think the railed forend is cool and wonder what it is.

kmcintosh78
September 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ok almost done.
Ready for fitment and paint.

Maverick223
September 30, 2009, 02:01 PM
I like your butt. :D What are the rubber thingys that you used for cushioning?

kmcintosh78
September 30, 2009, 02:19 PM
Rubber stops from the local True Value. $1 each.

Maverick223
September 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
That's what it looked like...not a bad idea if they hold up alright. :)

kmcintosh78
September 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
They should. I have a large allen head bolt from the rear portion, through the rubber, anchored into the stock.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Wow. Very, very nice new stock!

May I suggest not painting it and instead staining it? You could make a black wood stain out of RIT dyes and Alcohol for ~$5, and some satin finish polyurethane for ~$6. Also will need a couple cheap sponge brushes and some 220 grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool for ~$10 total.

kmcintosh78
September 30, 2009, 04:33 PM
Wow. Very, very nice new stock!

May I suggest not painting it and instead staining it? You could make a black wood stain out of RIT dyes and Alcohol for ~$5, and some satin finish polyurethane for ~$6. Also will need a couple cheap sponge brushes and some 220 grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool for ~$10 total.
Too late.
Just finished the 2nd coat of the bed liner.
Also, the wood/hole filler I used is not stainable.

I will have pics up tomorrow.

Thanks to all that have chimed in and offered their suggestions.

kmcintosh78
October 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Ok, all done. I will get out to the range tomorrow, and will post results then.

Mp7
October 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
pretty ugly.

Fits well with the AK design :)

BRad704
October 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
How does that actually attach to the reciever? I can't tell, and never saw any holes or anything for a bolt to pass through...

and any pics with teh clip in place?

kmcintosh78
October 1, 2009, 10:47 AM
How does that actually attach to the reciever? I can't tell, and never saw any holes or anything for a bolt to pass through...

and any pics with teh clip in place?

It attaches via the stock screws. Here are some pics.
I will get some with the mag in tomorrow, when I am at the range.

BRad704
October 1, 2009, 12:19 PM
Wow... if only everything in life was as responsive as you are.... :)

and oh, ok... The only thing I have had the stock off of lately is my 870 that uses a long bolt in from the rear... That's why I was confused. Thanks for clearing me up!

Maverick223
October 1, 2009, 12:38 PM
Looks good, my only advice would be to re-coat with bedliner and "pull it up" (put a rag on it and pull straight up to make small peaks) and "knock it down" (slightly push downward to make the peaks into plateaus so it isn't as sharp and uncomfortable). Doing so will add visual interest and a better grip. :)

BRad704
October 8, 2009, 05:27 PM
any updates or range reports for us?

kmcintosh78
October 8, 2009, 06:47 PM
Heading home from work. Will get pics and range report in a few hours.

kmcintosh78
October 8, 2009, 09:31 PM
Ok, here are the pics of the final project.
Took off the UTG front. Shot with it the first time, and the scope would not hold zero.
Got the Scout Scope Mount and it works like a charm.
Zeroed in the iron sights at 50 yards, sitting and groups were spread no further then 4".
Zeroed in the scope at 50 yards (Ran out of rounds) and had groups with a spread no larger then an inch. Using a 2-9 NcStar Pistolero Scope.

Once I get it out further (100 and 200 yards) I will get an update posted on groups.

Maverick223
October 9, 2009, 02:11 AM
Looks great...now all you need to do is save a few pennies, convert it, and redesign the stock (presumably with a thumb-hole) with a similar LOP (and shorter stock length). ;)

kmcintosh78
October 9, 2009, 08:50 AM
Looks great...now all you need to do is save a few pennies, convert it, and redesign the stock (presumably with a thumb-hole) with a similar LOP (and shorter stock length). ;)
Yah yah.

I think I like it as it is.

BRad704
October 9, 2009, 12:23 PM
Looks good as is to me too... Second drafts are always better than the first...

What's your impression of the rubber spacers on recoil?

kmcintosh78
October 9, 2009, 12:36 PM
Looks good as is to me too... Second drafts are always better than the first...

What's your impression of the rubber spacers on recoil?
It seemed to absorb the recoil well. All I know is that when shooting without it, my shoulder was red and bruised. Shooting with it, no bruising.

Maverick223
October 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yah yah.

I think I like it as it is.In that case...keep it as is. The only problem with not converting is the trigger...but perhaps you can polish it for a better break. :)

pgeleven
October 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
good god that is weird looking, but pretty amazing you did something like that. good job

PandaBearBG
October 9, 2009, 08:13 PM
I prefer thumbhole stock, this is my take at a "AICS" Fakey on a Savage.

http://i30.tinypic.com/qnnq1d.jpg

Utilizing the old existing factory synthetic stock adding/subtracting some wood and bondo to reform it. Much more solid and comfortable.

seanie!
October 10, 2009, 07:00 AM
Looks really cool man. I wish I could stay concentrated long enough to pull something like that off. How is the scout mount? I've been looking at them lately and I've been torn between that one and an Ultimak.

kmcintosh78
October 10, 2009, 11:18 AM
Looks really cool man. I wish I could stay concentrated long enough to pull something like that off. How is the scout mount? I've been looking at them lately and I've been torn between that one and an Ultimak.
Aside from not being able to use the included hand piece, to open the gas tube cover, I love it. Rock solid and not that bad to install.

kmcintosh78
November 11, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, so after staring long and hard at the rifle, in its current configuration, I decided to have another (and Final) go at making a butt stock.
I do believe that this is 100% better.

Lets hear it.
Thanks

seanie!
November 11, 2009, 02:11 PM
That looks 100% better.

Maverick223
November 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
Looks good...I look forward to the next iteration. :fire:

lobo9er
November 11, 2009, 03:21 PM
always enjoy it more if you build it yourself

damagedworld
November 11, 2009, 06:09 PM
not a bad job at all.. but the factory FCG in a Saiga is really really poor IMO.. if you are going to do ANYTHING to a Saiga the FIRST think i would do is move the FCG back to where it belongs.. the aftermarket FCG (Tapco) are one million times smoother... and will make you less likely to jerk the trigger and PROBABLY net you better groupings.. i have owned and worked on MANY Saigas.. and that is the single most rewarding modification as far as function goes..

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Buttstock Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!