Short barrel 06 Elk load?

PDA

lefteyedom
September 5, 2009, 12:41 AM
48 Grn of IMR 4064 under a Sierra 180gr. SBT. Shooting it out of a Remington 721 with a 20" barrel. Hoping for 2600Fps.

To hopeful? Planning on using it on Elk.

Ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel 06 Elk load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
September 5, 2009, 04:45 AM
With a 180gr bullet for the 30-06 I would suggest using H4350 (or IMR4350). You will meet or exceed that 2600 fps from a 20" barrel with that powder. You might achieve the velocity you are looking for with 4064 but I think it will be close. I really like 4350 with heavier bullets in the 06 because it's accurate and produces high velocities.

ants
September 5, 2009, 06:56 PM
Yes, I think you're at 2600 fps, and probably more. Each rifle and barrel shoot differently, so you would need a chronograph to verify for sure. But you're probably a little over 2600 with that load of 48 grains 4064. Have you shot it from a bench for accuracy? Make sure the load is accurate before you take it hunting. Don't be afraid to adjust it up or down until it groups the way you want it. Whether you use the GameKing or ProHunter, those 180 grain bullets will take down an elk easily, as long as you can shoot them accurately.

counterclockwise
September 5, 2009, 07:53 PM
It looks like (from QuickLoad) that IMR4064 is close, but IMR4350 has the edge with another 5.7 grains over the 4064 recipe. YMMV.

PS: I believe the ProHunter is flat based, and the GameKing is boattailed. Any difference in performance?

essayons21
September 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
I think you are about right. I shoot a 21" rem700 with a custom cut chamber, and get better velocities from the quicker burning IMR4064 than 4350. Sierra 175 matchking with 47.0 gr IMR4064 shoots very well for me.

ArchAngelCD
September 6, 2009, 02:39 AM
PS: I believe the ProHunter is flat based, and the GameKing is boattailed. Any difference in performance?
Yes, a boat tail based bullet will retain more velocity at distance than a flat base bullet will and tend to be more accurate, that's why most "match" bullets are BT. I usually practice with a Sierra 168gr MatchKing bullet and for deer shoot a 165gr GameKing bullet. No adjustments are needed with my scope or powder charge with that combination.

ants
September 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
Furthering ArchAngel's good comments...

The differences:
ProHunter jacket gets thicker down at the base, giving it a higher copper-to-lead ratio.
GameKing has modest copper/lead ratio, but has a boat tail like a match bullet.

Theoretically, GameKing has greater ability to maintain velocity over longer distances.
Theoretically, ProHunter's higher copper/lead ratio holds the bullet together better during penetration.

But don't let these differences fool you. Both will kill an elk the same dead.

Like all the rest of us these days, lefteyedom will buy and load and shoot the components he can get. He'll kill the elk dead either way.

Hey lefteyedom. Any chance of me getting a nice little backstrap off that bull?

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel 06 Elk load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!