Ruger Speed Six?

PDA

Tex62
September 5, 2009, 01:45 AM
Howdy,

Found a Ruger Speed Six today for sale. It is a 160 prefix, stainless and 2 3/4 barrel. Action is good and smooth, and it locks up well. No scratches or dings.

It looks to be needing a good cleaning. There looks to be very small rust pits on some of the lettering on the barrel and a few other places too. I could scratch some of it off with my finger nail. The barrel also looked dirty. A bit surprised that a small gun store not have cleaned it up better, so I am wondering if it has issues.

He is asking $369 for it which seems a bit high. I found a few forum entries that indicated folks had found similar guns for $350'ish...

Thoughts?

THanks, Tex62

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Speed Six?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
September 5, 2009, 01:59 AM
For a Speed Six that's reasonable even in the condition described. I've owned a great many handguns and these are absolute sleepers. The best .357 CCW piece ever made IMHO. It handles like a K frame magnum but it's tougher. It's a revolver for shooting not just for carrying around. The lockwork is simple and very durable. You can field strip it by removing one screw. K frame holsters generally work fine for these.

Most folks simply don't know about these guns. They're thought of as the brand C magnum that was a little less expensive than a Smith and a lot less than a Colt. Don't let that rep fool you.

ArchAngelCD
September 5, 2009, 04:22 AM
I bought a short barrel Service-Six a few years back, it's a great revolver. I agree that price is just a little high but if you really like the revolver don't let it go because of a few bucks. I paid $300 but like I said, that was a few years ago.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/service6-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/service6-8.jpg

finfanatic
September 5, 2009, 08:31 AM
I would try to get him down to $325-350 range, but if it was nice, I wouldn't balk at paying $369. I have been looking for a 2 3/4" Speed or Sec. Six for awhile now.

I got a nice 4" Sec. Six at a gunshow on Father's Day this year and I love it.

madcratebuilder
September 5, 2009, 09:17 AM
The 2.75's are getting hard to find in both speed and security six's. I paid $325 for a 2.75 security six a year ago and felt it was a bargain then. Take a look at gunbroker and search completed auctions, that well give you an idea of current prices.

Tex62
September 5, 2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that it is .38 Special only. That is not a big issue to me as doubt I'd carry .357 with it anyway. Externally, I think it will clean up fine. My concern is that I don't think the previous owner cleaned the bore. I don't think it was shot too much though. I guess I am concerned about if there is long term damage to the bore. I guess without trying to clean it myself, I won't know.

Thanks, Tex62

Cosmoline
September 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
There's not much .38 special out there with corrosive primers. Barring that leaving it dirty won't hurt it. Bring a good bore light next time and take a look at it.

Voland
September 5, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thats actually about the right price these days... I picked up a couple of 4" ones at around $380 but I know I overpaid. These are getting harder and harder to find so I say try to talk the seller down. If you cant, buy it any way.

Just my $.02

V.

doc540
September 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
25 years ago I bought a Speed Six in stainless and Gary Dean did a trigger job on it.

Best shooting revolver I've ever owned.

tekarra
September 5, 2009, 06:30 PM
For that price, I sure would be tempted. I have two Speed Sixes in 9 mm and a Service Six in .357 and sure do enjoy shooting them.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/DSCN0991.jpg

bhp9mm
September 5, 2009, 06:45 PM
what cal is it in 38 357 or 9mm i got this one not long ago for $330 its a 38 http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=831

bhp9mm
September 5, 2009, 06:48 PM
if its in 9mm its well worth it they or going for $600 plus they are pretty rare i have one in ss and the 38 any speed six is geting kind of hard to find i don't see many on the auction sits

Tex62
September 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
It is just a .38. I'll bring pin light and have a better look into the bore. To me without the light, it just looked dirty. I guess if there were any issues, it would have some pitting, correct?

I'll let ya'll know. I should be able to look at it again on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Dienekes
September 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
I took the Ruger armorer's course on them. They're good solid guns, practically indestructible, and Ruger still sells parts and services them. A neglected stainless gun like that one should be just fine.

I picked a blued one up in rough shape some years back for $89 and the bore was ok.

A lot of people including me think it was a mistake for Ruger to drop that series.

ArchAngelCD
September 6, 2009, 01:46 AM
A lot of people including me think it was a mistake for Ruger to drop that series.
I also agree it was a mistake. Yes, the GP100 is a good revolver but they aren't as well balanced as the -Six series revolvers IMO. I guess it's like the S&W K and L frame revolvers, the L frame revolvers are great but they don't feel and shoot like a K frame.

Tex62
September 6, 2009, 01:19 PM
Some size questions while we are on the topic of frames... So I have a K frame Model 64 in 4". This is the "house" gun, where this Ruger will be more for the car or carry if I get around to getting the CHL. The Ruger seems slightly (maybe 1/4") smaller on the grip. Everything else looks to be about the same size as the K frame (aside from barrel length). How does the Speed Six size compare to the SP101?

thanks.

Cosmoline
September 6, 2009, 02:16 PM
The Speed gives you an extra round over the SP, of course. It's slightly larger in dimensions and a notch heavier but doesn't have the same "bricky" quality the SP has. The balance, esp. for shooting, is much better on the Speed.

Many find the Six grip too small. Hogue makes their monogrips for it, or you can get T-Grips.

Blue Brick
September 6, 2009, 08:44 PM
I love my 38 special only Police Service Six and it will handle any 38 special load including +P+!!!

Avenger29
September 6, 2009, 08:56 PM
I carry a 4" Security Six.

Simply Rugged nice holsters for them, too.

GP100man
September 6, 2009, 09:35 PM
IF it`s there when ya go back!!!

Bboomer
September 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
You don't see anything priced like that around here......... for your sake I hope its still there when you return.

Best

Tex62
September 8, 2009, 09:14 PM
I got it. Got him to knock $20 off of the price.

Spent the last hour trying to get her cleaned up outside. Looks like there is quite a bit of carbon build up in the bore, but otherwise it is OK. Exterior is not in too bad of shape. I will need to find a solution for polishing though.

Also, just where is that "one screw" to undo for field stripping?

Thanks!

Blue Brick
September 8, 2009, 09:25 PM
Pictures??

Tex62
September 8, 2009, 09:45 PM
:)

Haven't done this here yet, here goes...

Embedded URLs did not work for some reason...

http://picasaweb.google.com/meaves62/Stuff2?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7F2ayRmcRS#5379277418028385394

bhp9mm
September 9, 2009, 03:20 AM
nice speed six at a good price i have a 38 and two 9mm ones all in ss

gb6491
September 9, 2009, 04:23 AM
...Also, just where is that "one screw" to undo for field stripping?
The only screw you need to undo for field stripping is the grip screw.
Here are some videos that will give you an idea how it's done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96lc7XGZIxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKWsVCcEJU&feature=related
I find it easier to lock the trigger guard in a padded vise and use a brass punch to depress the plunger to release it from the frame.
Also, the pawl/hand on the trigger assembly is spring loaded; if you aren't careful you can send the spring and plunger flying.
Parts list:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/PartsBooklets/D9.pdf
Manual:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/40.pdf
Regards,
Greg

BTW: Congrats on a nice looking Speed Six.

ArchAngelCD
September 9, 2009, 05:06 AM
Tex62,
Very nice revolver. Since it's a stainless revolver and not blue you can use Lead Away Cloth (http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/chemicalcloths.html) from Kleenbore to remove the stubborn carbon. It works like a charm but just remember not to use it on guns with a blue finish.

Again, really nice Ruger you have there...

Blue Brick
September 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Nice.

Confederate
September 10, 2009, 12:17 AM
If the gun is primo, I'd go for it, as it really does have a perfect size/strength ratio. Ruger really made a series of poor decision when it decided to beef up the revolver when it clearly didn't need it.

Tex62
September 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
gb6491,

Thanks for all the great info!

Took it to the range today. Shoots great. Very accurate shooting single action and I could hit paper double action, but that is me, not the gun as I am still trying to get the hang of shooting with double action triggers...

Thanks for the help everyone :)

GRIZ22
September 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that it is .38 Special only.

These were made up for agencies that had restrictions that revolvers had to be chambered for "38 special only" like NYPD. A NYPD armorer told me a Ruger rep said they were the same as 357 guns except the cylinder. I don't know about rechambering the cylinder but if you want a 357 call Ruger and I'm sure they could fit a 357 cylinder.

Tex62
September 11, 2009, 11:00 AM
Were the Speed Sixes police issued too?

Line Rider
September 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
Naval Investigative Services issused blued 2 3/4 .38 Spl at one time.

Blue Brick
September 11, 2009, 04:59 PM
"call Ruger and I'm sure they could fit a 357 cylinder."

NOPE.

Blue Brick
September 11, 2009, 05:00 PM
"Were the Speed Sixes police issued too? "

YES.

Southern Shooter
September 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have two 2.75" Ruger Speed-Sixes in .357 magnum. One in stainless and one in blue. Neither were cosmetically perfect when I bought them. Mechanically...they are as sound as a brand new revolver.

Because of the balance while being held in both hands or even one hand, feel in my handgrip, wonderfully smooth trigger, and ability to handle recoil well with 125 grain self-defense loads...they quickly replaced my other carry guns. I am not a large person...5' 6"...and I find it fairly easy to carry them concealed.

I paid $275 for the stainless to a private owner. And, $300 tax included for the blued one to a pawn shop. Both purchases in the last year and a half. Now, that I have had the great experiences with them...I would gladly pay $350 for another one...IF they could be found. These were the only two that I have found in my area for years.

Buy it.

ArchAngelCD
September 12, 2009, 01:50 AM
The 2.75" Police Service-Six pictured in Post #3 is a .357 Magnum, not a .38 Special. The only think I might not like about it is the square butt because at times it can be a little harder to conceal than a round butt Speed-Six.

snooperman
September 12, 2009, 08:37 AM
I really like mine and think it to be much better than the new Ruger GP 100they are making now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Speed Six?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!