How many rounds for CCW?

PDA

Mike OTDP
September 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
A simple poll to support a theory...how many rounds, including those in the gun, do you carry when exercising your concealed carry permit?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
September 5, 2009, 07:19 PM
I carry at least one reload for any gun I carry. If I go through what i have in my gun thne it's time to use the reload to get out of there.

SigP229R
September 5, 2009, 07:34 PM
I voted 9-16 but it isn't a Glock. It is a Sig 229.40. Sometimes though I will carry 1 extra mag.

mesinge2
September 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
1911 Government 8+1 in the Gun and one spare mag makes 17 total.

TimM
September 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
A J frame and 2 speed strips or a CZ 75 Compact and a spare mag or a Sig P238 and a spare mag or a CZ Compact with a spare mag and a J frame for a bug or sometimes a commander sized 45 and two spare mags. It all just depends on the situation and my mood

Geno
September 5, 2009, 07:57 PM
Wow, lightweight options here! I carry either:

1) a G19C and a G26, with 4, spare G17 magazines, loaded with Winchester Ranger, 115 grain +P+ HPs. (95 rounds)

2) a Colt Series 70 reissue and a Colt New Agent, with 4, spare 7-round magazines, loaded with Winchester Personal Defense, 230 grain HPs. (44 rounds)

Geno

practicaltactical
September 5, 2009, 08:04 PM
Usually a Ruger LCP 6+1 and an extra mag so 13.

ogunski
September 5, 2009, 08:34 PM
Glock 19 with two spares=46 rounds. I like the idea of having more than one mag incase i experience a magazine failure. I also carry a very sharp and pointy knife. :)

bigfatdave
September 5, 2009, 09:15 PM
Keeping in mind that a CC pistol is for getting OUT of a gunfight, not getting INTO one ...

Mine:
(Walther PPS9 with flush-fit mag) + (reload mag) = (6+1)+(7) = 14 rounds
I have an 8-round reload mag on order, 15 rounds instead of 14 will make a BIG difference, I'm sure.

MrsBFD:
(Springfield XD9sc) + (reload mag) = (13+1)+(16) = 30 rounds
She doesn't bother to top off the 13 round mag, so more often than not it actually comes to 29 ... that should be enough.

Sometimes a NAA mini gets added into the mix, 5 rounds of rimfire fury there!

Your poll doesn't have the ability to select multiple options, I need at least two checked.

mljdeckard
September 5, 2009, 09:25 PM
I carry a 1911 with two extra mags, but I am thinking about dropping one for a flashlight. I want an extra mag to clear a stoppage, not to have more rounds.

I believe that a pistol is what you use to fight your way back to your rifle. I keep a rifle in my vehicle and my home. If I'm fighting, I don't want to stop multiple targets with my handgun, I want to make a hole to get back to my car.

Autolycus
September 5, 2009, 09:33 PM
At least 62 rounds.

possum
September 5, 2009, 09:36 PM
depends,
either glock 23 locked an loaded, with full mag (minimum)
or
23 locked and loaded with full mag, and a spare.(max)

Guillermo
September 5, 2009, 09:59 PM
when most people consider the situation safe, I carry just what is in the gun. (5-7 rounds, depending on the gun)

If I have to go anywhere seedier I carry at least one reload.

Some areas I step up from my usual 9mm or 38 special to the XD 45 with a reload (27 rounds)

If I have to go to what I consider a dangerous area I bring the AR with an extra 5 30 round mags for a total of 180. After all, a pistol is what you use to get back to the rifle that you SHOULD have been carrying.

Tengu Joker
September 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
Glock 30 with a extra mag 20 +1. Plus other tools.

420Stainless
September 5, 2009, 10:17 PM
Most of the time eight or less. Still carry my SIG with 10 sometimes, or two guns sometimes.

21bubba
September 5, 2009, 10:52 PM
95 rounds? You have got to be kidding.

sohcgt2
September 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
G22 w/2 spare mags and an sp101, 51 rds total.

ByAnyMeans
September 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
I went 16-24.

Keltec P3At with two seven round magazines and one in the pipe= 15 total

Glock 26 with ten round magazine and fifteen round back up minimum= 26 total

Figured I'd average it out to 21 total

Erik M
September 5, 2009, 11:50 PM
7+1 and a single spare 7 round mag for the bersa .380

nathan
September 6, 2009, 01:57 AM
One full loaded mag in my Glock 23 with one in the chamber. This is for city travel. Now if i have to travel away out of town , then I will bring a spare mag with 15 rounds.

Same goes with my CZ 82 , only one mag fully loaded with chambered round. This is within city travel.

Nugilum
September 6, 2009, 02:13 AM
How many people do you guys think you'll end up dealing with? :scrutiny:

Do you just plan on pulling the trigger as fast as you can?

Couldn't that be used against you by a unsympathetic DA? "The Defendant had on him over thirty rounds. Clearly, he was looking for a shootout!"

ArchAngelCD
September 6, 2009, 02:15 AM
Wow, lightweight options here! I carry either:

1) a G19C and a G26, with 4, spare G17 magazines, loaded with Winchester Ranger, 115 grain +P+ HPs. (95 rounds)

2) a Colt Series 70 reissue and a Colt New Agent, with 4, spare 7-round magazines, loaded with Winchester Personal Defense, 230 grain HPs. (44 rounds)

Geno
Geno,
Why not convert those 7 round 1911 Mags to 8 rounds so you can carry 4 more rounds? :rolleyes:

nathan
September 6, 2009, 02:23 AM
Its good to have more. Expect from two, three or four BGs if worse come to worse. Nowadays its no guarantee its one person BG. Many of these are armed more than we do. Fight and flight to survive. Take cover and shoot straight !

jwPhotographer
September 6, 2009, 02:41 AM
I carry a Sig P229 Elite SS .40 S&W everywhere I go. (12 rds) I do not "carry" a 2nd mag.

However....

1 loaded mag in the truck console.
1 loaded mag in the side pocket of my laptop backpack.
1 loaded mag in the bedside nightstand upstairs.
1 loaded mag in the kitchen junk drawer downstairs.

I don't carry one "on" me - but there is typically one nearby.

tangomike706
September 6, 2009, 05:19 AM
In the Winter, or when I layer clothing It's my SA XDM (40) with one fully loaded mag and one backup . failures happen .. at bad times , it's never a bad thing to have a backup .. thats so .. 16+1 and the backup mag .. gives me 33 total rounds

and for Summer its my XDSC (40) I load the standard 9 rnd mag, and keep the extended with me .. so .. 9+1+12 22 rnds total

smithmax
September 6, 2009, 05:58 AM
How does one conceal 95 rounds? I just carry the 10 in my USP .40

Mp7
September 6, 2009, 06:05 AM
A Desert Eagle with 4 spare mags, each loaded with 450 grain of Paranoia.

:)

Seriously i canŽt understand why youŽd bring a spare mag
for a hi-cap pistol.... unless you all ive in Compton.

The Lone Haranguer
September 6, 2009, 07:39 AM
I didn't answer the poll because I have different guns for different situations. Whatever the gun, I always carry with a full magazine in the gun, loaded chamber and one spare magazine. With my current guns (Kahr PM9, CZ PCR, Glock 19), that would be 14, 29 and 31 rounds, respectively.

mongo4567
September 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
95 rounds???? I usually carry a Keltec P3AT with the 6+1 or a Kahr PM40 with the 5+1.

If I felt like there were a high threat level (LA riots), I would switch to a 1911 with 7+1 and two reloads....maybe a backpack with loaded clips too....maybe a folding stock AK too.

Chris Plitt
September 6, 2009, 11:03 AM
I prefer to carry my Sig and an extra mag. I don't want to end up in a situation like the officer out west during the mall shootout. When I was doing concealment training classes someone pitched a good point: That officer was carrying a 1911 and going up against a guy with an sks (I believe, I can't remember exactly). I bet he would have traded his entire pension and his life savings for one extra mag.

Then again, 95 rounds is a bit excessive unless you hear gunshots on the way to your car. Glenn Beck made the comment about not carrying a gun because you think you'll need it. If you think you'll NEED it and 95 rounds you should either move, or not go to wherever it is that you go.

Great Scot
September 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
in a Kel-Tec PF9.

schnarrgj
September 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
Bersa thunder 7+1 with a reload 7 for 15.

psyopspec
September 6, 2009, 11:53 AM
Whatever I carry, I bring at least one reload. If I'm down to a 5-shot J frame due to a non-permissive environment, it's at least 1 speed loader. During the winter I sometimes carry a Beretta 92FS in a shoulder rig. Two mags on the other side to balance the weight = 52 rounds total (3x17+1).

While I recommend at least one reload for the possibility of a mag-related failure, I don't judge people either way on how much ammo they carry. After all, it's one of the few factors of getting into a gunfight that you have some measure of control over, and you get to live the consequences either way.

Many of the failures I've witnessed with autoloading pistols were magazine related. If your mag takes a dump, it doesn't matter how many rounds are/were in it.

Geno
September 6, 2009, 12:16 PM
I always get these reactions to the number of rounds, etc. Check with your local LEO as to how many firearms (and other tools) he/she carries and the number of rounds. In my area, the LEOs typically have :

1) primary handgun
2) back-up handgun
3) bug handgun
4) AR-configured carbine
5) 12 gauge shotgun
6) taser
7) baton
8) bullet-resistant vest w/ 3mm titanium plate
9) radio communications
10) back-up up the whazoo

Well, that rather leaves me feeling comparatively like my skinny posterior is hanging in the cold wind, and nobody to cover me, or back me up. If my weapons fail (or components) I'm screwed.

The critical factor is not the number of rounds available, it's the number of magazines in case of a magazine failure, or 3. In Advanced Tactical we were taught that it the pistol fails, likely it is a magazine failure...drop it, and load a fresh magazine. If the second magazine also fails, drop the pistol and go to the back-up. If you physically drop the magazine, draw a fresh magazine. Finally, we were taught not just 1 shot, but double-taps and triple taps. We also did several exercises involving emptying the magazine into the target.

I assure you, for where I travel, and the types of multiple attackers on a single victim, I am not over-packing.

Respectfully,

Geno

TimM
September 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
I just wanted to mention that choosing a carry set up is a very personal thing... we all know that. If one guy feels comfortable carrying 95 rounds and you feel comfortable carrying 5, what skin is it off your nose? His choice, not yours.

If I somehow, God forbid, I got myself into a really hairy situation and had limited ammo, I wouldn't mind at all if the guy that was carrying 95 rounds had my back.

Nugilum
September 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
Geno:
Check with your local LEO as to how many firearms (and other tools) he/she carries and the number of rounds.

Well yea, that's there profession. They are purposely going into danger, so they need the extra firepower. I don't respond to a "domestic dispute" or "shots fired".

Geno
September 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
Re: the comment about how it might look in court to carry so many rounds, we were instructed to carry as-many rounds-as we can, and always at least 1 back-up and a bug. The instructor, a local LEO Sergeant carried 5 pistols.

I discussed this at length in a thread titled How Prepared Are You "Really"? That thread was written back when I nickname here was Doc2005. In closing, I'd rather have one extra magazine in my hands, than to run out of bullets and resort to throwing stones, rocks and feces. ;)

Here is the link: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=321969&highlight=Prepared So, let me re-present the question: How prepared are you "really"?!

Geno (Formerly Doc2005)

Girodin
September 6, 2009, 01:44 PM

It is a good thing you asked then. As multiple other posters have indicated one major reason to have a spare mag has to do with reliability more than simply the extra rounds. Mags are often the source of stopages in auto loading pistols. You may need to drop the mag to clear a stopage as well.

I am also amused by the idea that bad things only happen in bad neighborhoods. Think of some of the recent rampage shootings.

Statistically speaking you are not very likely to ever need your gun. If you are going to go to the effort to get a permit, get a gun and a carry set up, get training (although wondering why one might want a mag indicates a lack there of), pack the thing around every day, is carrying a spare mag really a stretch.

It is funny when one gun carrier or owner calls another paranoid. We each have our level where we feel comfortable. We may think the guy a level up from us (ie packing 95 rounds) is paranoid and silly but rest assured there are people a level below you (be that the guy with his 5 shot revolver or the person who doesn't CC, or doesn't own a gun) who thinks that your nuts and paranoid. I think there are some good argument and reasoning for certain things i.e carrying a spare mag or carrying a bug, as well as not carrying 95 rounds. Pulling the paranoia card is not only ironic it adds little in way of constructive debate about the reasoning and advantages or disadvantage of such things.

Girodin
September 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Oh and to reply to the OP, it depends. Anywhere from the low end of your poll to the high end. Typically it has little to do with threat assement in terms of am I going to a safe place or not and more to do with what I am wearing and how long I will be out of the house.

That officer was carrying a 1911 and going up against a guy with an sks (I believe, I can't remember exactly).

If you are referencing the incident I am thinking of the BG had a shotgun and at least one handgun and a backpack full of ammo. BTW that happened in a area of town that is not particularly a bad area, certainly no Compton. I had actually been there a couple hours before the shooting happened, I did not think I was in an unsafe place. Bad things can happen in "safe" places to people who are minding there own business doing the type of stuff we all do regularly.

jad0110
September 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
My most frequently carried gun is a 2" S&W Model 15 (6-shot k-frame) with 2 speedloaders for 18 rounds total. Got a 4" 15 that I carry as well, same deal. Sometimes I carry a 5" 1911 (7+1) plus one spare 7 round mag for 15. Sometimes, either setup is supplemented with my 5 shot J frame as a BUG (no reload for it) for a total of either 23 rounds with the K Frames or 20 with the 1911. If I carry just the J Frame, I also carry 2 speedloaders for a total of 15.

I guess I carry the reloads for my own comfort. I live in a safe area, so I'll probably never have to use my gun at all, much less need more than a few rounds, but I carry the extra ammo anyway. If lack of situational awareness on my part gets me into a jam where I might actually need 15+ rounds, I figure I'm probably finished; the extra rounds will just allow me to take more of them with me I suppose.

WoofersInc
September 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
For me it is usually a 1911 with 2 spare mags. I have always carried at least 2 spare mags with me. Never know when Mr Murphy will pop up.

belus
September 6, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've only carried semi-autos so it's been a loaded gun plus a spare mag. The spare mag isn't so much for extra ammo as insurance if something goes wrong with the first (accidentally drop it, or if the slide locks back prematurely).

So if the mags held 20 (I've never carry a gun that large, but let's assume), I'd have 41 rounds with me. But my most frequent carry holds 8, so I end up with 17 rounds.

If I were to carry a revolver I'd probably have the gun loaded plus two speed loaders or moon clips.

psyopspec
September 6, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well yea, that's there profession. They are purposely going into danger, so they need the extra firepower. I don't respond to a "domestic dispute" or "shots fired".

So, police carry guns because they go after bad guys, yes?
Who do bad guys go after?

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
It depends on what kind of clothes I'm wearing.

In addition to the spare mags in the mag holder, I'll toss extra mags that I pass in my room into spare pockets in my shorts or pants

freakshow10mm
September 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
9rd 10mm 1911 with two 9rd mags on the belt and two more 9rd mags in the truck along with a rifle, loaded 30rd mag, empty chamber, 2 spare 30rd mags.

Vern Humphrey
September 6, 2009, 06:43 PM
John Farnham has said the number one cause of stoppages in both automatics and revolvers in actual combat is running out of ammunition. In addition, the weak spot in automatics is the magazine. It only makes sense, therefore to carry at least one reload, no matter what kind of gun you carry.

Nugilum
September 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
Who do bad guys go after?

When the intended victim starts shooting at them, it's time to bug out.

mgregg85
September 6, 2009, 08:38 PM
I carry an XD45 compact and a spare mag, thus 10+1+14=25

zombienerd
September 6, 2009, 09:36 PM
I carry what my Bersa holds. 7 rounds. I have been thinking of putting a mag in the car though. My holster doesn't hold an extra mag, but I've been thinking of getting a pocket holder for an extra mag.

I know you should be prepared for anything, but if I need more than 7 bullets, I'm severely lacking in people on my side of the argument.

Eightball
September 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
For now, I have my chosen firearms, a good way to carry (whatever it might be), and some good ammo. Next on the list of "to-do" is the "extra ammunition" bit.

Hey, for a college budget, I'm not bad off. I've got the absolute essentials down, at any rate.

Mike J
September 6, 2009, 11:21 PM
XD-40 Service 12+1, 1 12 round magazine, as others have stated if a semi automatic pistol malfunctions it's either the ammunition or the magazine. Always a good idea to have at least one extra mag.
As far as how many rounds someone else carries, that is their choice, but I have never heard of anyone complaining about having too much ammunition in a gunfight.

HuntAndFish
September 6, 2009, 11:43 PM
S&W 642 most days. 5 in the gun, 6 in a speedstrip = 11 rounds. But I like Geno's mindset.

blazebuster
September 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
4 in the clip, 1 in the Chamber and a share mag.

The_Shootist
September 7, 2009, 12:06 AM
642 - 5 in the revolver + 2 speedloaders. G19 - 16 in the pistol and 1 standard cap mag.

copaup
September 7, 2009, 12:27 AM
Varies. I usually carry 1 reload. Most days that's a J frame and a speedloader for 10 rds. Some days its my 229 and a spare mag for 25 rds. Some days it might be a 5946 with 2 17 rd magazines. Just depends on location I'm going, my wardrobe, and my mood.

RevolvingGarbage
September 7, 2009, 01:13 AM
For my .38 in the glovebox (no CWL yet), I have the six rounds in the gun, plus 6 rounds in one HKS speedloader, which I keep in my pocket.

ChCx2744
September 7, 2009, 02:09 AM
I usually just carry with an extra mag, but I am going to start carrying 2 extra mags.

larryh1108
September 7, 2009, 03:22 PM
With my LCP I have 6+1 plus in a wallet holster and in the other rear pocket I have a mag wallet with 8 rounds plus 6 rounds for a total of 21 .380s that is invisible.
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/LCP/LCPCompletepkg222.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/LCP/LCPCompletePkg999.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/LCP/LCPcigs111.jpg

RoostRider
September 7, 2009, 03:44 PM
5.... loaded in the gun.... a speed loader in the truck... so.... less than 8 on average...

I gotta ask.... if you think a gun is prone enough to failure that you carry spare parts (a spare mag), why would you carry that gun for SD?

I have never had a mag failure in an SD gun of mine (tens of thousands of rounds)... If I did, that gun/mag would be eliminated with extreme prejudice against being my SD gun.

That said, I carry a wheelgun now

When I carry an auto (seldom these days), it's the same routine, one in the gun, one in the truck (or just one in the gun)... if my gun ever fails to fire (and I fire them often), I would fix the problem or dump the gun for SD.

bigfatdave
September 7, 2009, 08:28 PM
zombienerd, you don't just carry a spare for mowing down a crowd of potential bad guys, it is there for the post-event reload, the potential magazine failure, or the reload under cover. Magazines are pretty small compared to a full gun, they can be dropped in a pocket or you can get a belt-based carrier (I like my IWB one from CrossBreed).
Also, for those of us with different size magazines available, carrying the shortest mag makes for discreet CC, while the longer mag in the reload holder offers a big reload for very little effort.

RoostRider, it isn't a trust issue, it is an uncertainty in the conditions that might merit use of a CC pistol. One possibility is being knocked down, another is some damage to your pistol. It is about guaranteed that a potential SD shooting will not be conducted under the same conditions as you'd see at the range. Your wheelgun may be pretty damn reliable, but what do you do when you do have that unlikely malfunction (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-198482.html)? What do you do when your carry ammo is half duds? (my reload is almost always either loaded with another type or vintage of HP's)

In general, I don't get the "reload in the car/truck" concept. If I'm in the car/truck, either it is now a large blunt trauma weapon, or an escape tool. If the reload isn't on your person, what good is it?

Dogbite
September 7, 2009, 09:02 PM
I usually carry a J-frame(5) and a reload.(5)

Dafey
September 8, 2009, 12:16 AM
Me , 13 + 12 = 25 . In a 24/7 Taurus.
The wife carrys 11 + 10 = 21. In a Taurus Millenium PT 140 PRO.

Guillermo
September 8, 2009, 12:29 AM
4 in the clip

what the hell do u carry?

Paul82
September 8, 2009, 12:40 AM
^ to above post, I would like to know what gun holds 4 in the clip??:confused:

TIMM SAID: "I just wanted to mention that choosing a carry set up is a very personal thing... we all know that. If one guy feels comfortable carrying 95 rounds and you feel comfortable carrying 5, what skin is it off your nose? His choice, not yours.

If I somehow, God forbid, I got myself into a really hairy situation and had limited ammo, I wouldn't mind at all if the guy that was carrying 95 rounds had my back"

+1 on that. Those guys with 6+1 + 1 reload = 15 total woudnt last long.

Btw you got 95 rounds for your gun, what if it jams? I would rather have 50/50 ammo and another gun.

I dont think 15 rounds or less is enough for ANY one to carry on them. I think you should carry 20+ rounds. What if you got in a shoot out? (odds very very very rare) You might start shooting at your target(s) and miss a bunch of times, if you only carry 7+7 thats 14. You wont last long. Just my 2 cents.

PTK
September 8, 2009, 12:53 AM
I voted 9-16, as my main carry guns are revolvers or subcompact pistols and I carry extra ammo for all of them. Generally, my SP101 is carried with a speed loader, my G26 is carried with an extra magazine, etc. :)

Zach S
September 8, 2009, 11:41 AM
Normally one reload on body for whatever I'm carrying.

The norm is my 5" Kimber (15 rounds min). Two more 1911 mags in the vehicle.

At minimum, a speed strip for my Model 85 (ten rounds total). I rarely just have my snubby on me.

Normally, if I carry a BUG (my M85), I don't carry a reload for it, but have at least two for my primary. BUGs are normally only carried during winter when I have so many layers on that my primary is hard to get too, so my BUG normally rides in a coat pocket.

Car/truck/beater pistol is normally in the vehicle if I'm running errands. G19 with two spare G17 mags (49 rounds).

I rarely have a long arm in the vehicle. Normally just if I'm staying overnight or most of the night somewhere, like babysitting my cousins, in which case it goes inside with me. Yes, my uncle and his wife know.

Vern Humphrey
September 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
As old Jeff Cooper was wont to say, "There's such a thing as enough ammunition. And there's such a thing as not enough ammunition. There's no such a thing as too much ammunition."

41magsnub
September 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
10.5 rds here for my j-frame. 10 HP .38+P rounds + a single round of rat shot. The first shot in the pistol varies between an HP or the rat shot depending on if I am in town or out walking/fishing where rattlesnakes could be an issue.

The extra rounds are on a 6 rd speed strip in the change pocket of my jeans.

I do have another speed loader with another 5 HP rds and another rat shot that I don't carry, it is more of a spare in the car.

Out fishing I'll also toss a couple more rat shot rounds in my vest as reloads. Walking I figure if I get into that many snakes it is time to turn around.

For hiking I pack a .357 with a couple of speed loaders.

psyopspec
September 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
I gotta ask.... if you think a gun is prone enough to failure that you carry spare parts (a spare mag), why would you carry that gun for SD?

What you think of a gun is independent of when it will fail, and it will fail, given enough rounds, time, or the right conditions. No man made object is immune.

I carry a spare tire in my car for fast, field expedient replacement of a part that will eventually give out, given enough time, enough driving, or a certain set of conditions. I'd want one in any vehicle I owned, regardless of how much I trusted it.

The odds of being in an SD shooting are small, and the odds of needing a reload due to a lack of ammunition or a failure are smaller still. However, I don't carry an extra mag because of the odds; it's the stakes involved that I'm worried about.

CoRoMo
September 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
K.t. P11

Davionmaximus
September 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Whatever the gun I carry at the time holds if fine by me...:cool:

SharpsDressedMan
September 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
Not exactly on the list, but I'll affirm a common contention. At least one reload/one spare mag (if an auto), and make that TWO of same, if you can stand the bulk and weight. Tis better to have them than not need them than the other way around. For any auto, a spare mag is needed just in case you dump your mag, or the one you have gets damaged or otherwise fails (I've even seen removable base plates come loose, mag catches break, etc).

SSN Vet
September 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
12+1 in the weapon....

doubt I'll ever need for more...

have spare mag/holster for an extra 12, but rarely carry it.

Glamdring
September 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
You need to add another choice.

I carry 2 guns whenever I can, and either one or two reloads that work in each when I carry two glocks. Or when it is a glock & revolver one reload for each.

Cactus Jack Arizona
September 9, 2009, 12:20 AM
Geez! Why so many rounds? :eek: I mean, after all, all you need is one shot, right? :what: At least, this is the talk I always hear when I'm at the gun range. :rolleyes:

smithmax
September 9, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'd like to know the ratio of people who carry multiple reloads and the number of people who have military or LEO training.

I don't have a background in either of those, and I feel that if I'm ever in a SD situation that turns into a firefight using more than my 10rds that I'm probably hosed, and an extra 10rds isn't going to help a whole lot. If I end up in a shooting situation outside my home, my plan is to use my gun to get to my car and get out of dodge.

Madcap_Magician
September 9, 2009, 09:20 AM
32 rounds of .40, two loaded mags. Mostly in case of an unlikely magazine failure.

jjohnson
September 9, 2009, 11:15 AM
Nah, I don't carry a reload.

I figure if you need to reload, you're (a) in over your head, (b) in a combat zone and carrying only a sidearm, or (c) in a firefight armed with only a handgun. If you're in any of the three categories, chances are that you made a bad choice :scrutiny: somewhere, and Darwinism should weed you out of the gene pool for it. :uhoh:

Vern Humphrey
September 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
As John Farnham points out, the most common cause of a stoppage in an actual gunfight is running out of ammunition.

So maybe it's the people who don't carry enough ammo who get weeded out of the gene pool.;)

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 9, 2009, 01:14 PM
As John Farnham points out, the most common cause of a stoppage in an actual gunfight is running out of ammunition.

So maybe it's the people who don't carry enough ammo who get weeded out of the gene pool.

+1

I don't get why people say "why do you need so much ammo, just stay out of bad situations"

DUH.

All of that extra ammo is to roll across the floor like marbles, so the bad guys will slip on it a la "Home Alone"

Vern Humphrey
September 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't get why people say "why do you need so much ammo, just stay out of bad situations"
If I could stay out of "bad situations," I wouldn't need a gun, homeowner's insurance, automobile insurance, a spare tire, a fire extinguisher or smoke alarms. I wouldn't need air bags in my car, or seat belts.

Hokkmike
September 9, 2009, 01:38 PM
8 or less because that's all my only pistol holds.

easyg
September 10, 2009, 09:44 PM
I usually just carry my loaded snub-nose revolver without any additional ammo.
So the answer is "five" rounds.

DeadLiver
September 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
Normally, I carry my 1911 with 8 in the mag and one in the chamber, with one reload. When I'm driving the tow truck, I carry two reloads giving me a total of 25.

Mike OTDP
September 11, 2009, 10:19 AM
OK, this poll has been running for a week, with 277 votes...enough for some statistical validity.

I'd run a similar poll about two years ago, and got a decidedly bimodal distribution of results. There was one faction that carried 12-15 rounds, and a second faction carrying 30+ rounds.

This poll shows a classical bell-curve distribution, with a peak in the 12-15 round range. Significant numbers of respondents reported carrying 10 rounds or less.

I believe that this is a reflection of the growing prevalence of concealed carry, and of increasing experience. A new CCW holder may be tempted to carry two or three spare magazines, but the weight, bulk, and concealability issues will lead an experienced CCW holder to scale back.

Another factor that probably enters into this are the deep-carry pistols such as the Seecamp LWS-32. Such pistols allow people to be discreetly armed, but that discretion, by definition, implies restricting both weapon and reload size.

The question that is being raised is whether the weight and volume of a reload would be better used for a backup gun. This is particularly true for large-capacity magazines, which are quite heavy. A Seecamp or Rohrbaugh in a pocket might be a better alternative.

Lakeshore
September 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
Just what's in the gun (one mag) most times. Might bring along one extra mag on occasion if the situation calls for it.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Just what's in the gun (one mag) most times. Might bring along one extra mag on occasion if the situation calls for it.
Please don't take this the wrong way -- it isn't meant disrespectfully. But let's look at that last sentence. How do we know what the situation calls for while standing in the bedroom dressing? How can we tell what situations will arise later in the day?

Some people have pointed out that if we knew we were going to get into a gunfight, we'd stay home and avoid it. But of course in the real world, we can't predict the future.

That's really why we carry -- because this is a dangerous world and we can't ever tell what is going to happen.

larryh1108
September 11, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hey Vern,

I wish to stick up for the guy you just questioned.

I happen to work in a very high crime and dangerous neighborhood. A day does not go by when I am not face-to-face with a gang banger or junkie or crack whore. The homeless wander the street looking for handouts as a means of survival. I am told to carry concealed as to not create escalation just by the sight of a weapon. As mentioned above, I have a loaded gun and 2 mags as back up. The way I carry (wallet holsters) I feel I can reload quicker and easier than if I needed a BUG. That's my choice and is how I choose to carry. I also have a Glock .40S&W in my desk drawer and a Kahr PM9 in my briefcase but I am not always at my desk or within the immediate vicinity of my brief case. I have 5 loaded mags back up for each but they are not on my person.

However, if I am in my yard, at the mall or at a family picnic the situation MAY not dictate carrying so much back up. Me? I would keep it the same because it's how I carry every day but to someone else, they may feel they don't need the extra weight, bulk or whatever if they are at a graduation ceremony in the "safe" neighborhoods. Many times the dress dictates it as well. So, if you know you are going into a high crime area (whether to work, drive thru or to visit someone) then you may feel compelled to have more than just your carry piece with you. Of course we never know when we will need it but the chances get a lot higher when your immediate surroundings change.

I guess I am saying that the situation can dictate how much back up you want. I guess we all envision another Columbine or Va Tech scenario but the truth is a SD situation shouldn't require more than your loaded gun and if it requires a reload then your situation is not that good. Yes, I would rather have too much rather than too little but the reality and carry conditions make us choose what works best at that time.

I feel a lot safer walking in my local grocery store than at work. The chance is still there but is a lot less likely to occur. If we feel we should be max armed at any given time "just in case" then we'd all have a carry, 2 BUGs and 500 rounds strapped to our body every day no matter where we are. That seems excessive.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
However, if I am in my yard, at the mall or at a family picnic the situation MAY not dictate carrying so much back up.
The thing about disasters is, we can't predict them. That's why I always carry.

larryh1108
September 11, 2009, 01:15 PM
I agree, and my post states so. However, do you need 3 mags backup at a family BBQ or will 1 do? That is a rhetorical question that is answered by each individual. However, the choice was not whether to carry or not but how many backup rounds on your person. You can't predict a disaster but you can judge the liklihood of it happening and adjust accordingly.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
A good rule of thumb is to carry at least one reload everywhere. Just because you're in the mall or at the family barbecue, you don't go Condition White, and you shouldn't vary what you carry.

larryh1108
September 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
Personally I agree. You always need a back up for whatever reason. However, this forum is diverse and not everybody shares the same thought. Actually, that is the premise of this thread!

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 01:51 PM
I think we have some objective issues -- a gunfight, like combat, is reality. Bullets do not go by opinions, but by physics and anatomy.

Cetainly one has a right to carry as little or as much ammuntion as he needs, but there are hard, objective facts that point to the need for at least one reload, and when the question comes up, we would be remiss if we didn't point them out.

kdstrick
September 11, 2009, 01:58 PM
If I could stay out of "bad situations," I wouldn't need a gun, homeowner's insurance, automobile insurance, a spare tire, a fire extinguisher or smoke alarms. I wouldn't need air bags in my car, or seat belts.

LOL! Brevity is the soul of wit. An instant classic.

I almost always have an extra mag or speed strip on me. The only real exception is when I tuck a Glock in my waistband to run into a convenience store or another quick errand. I'm completely confident that 14 rounds of 357 sig, or 40 s&w will suffice. Thousands of rounds through each pistol give me at least as much confidence in the my Glocks as I'd have in one of my revolvers. With my other pistols I always have an extra mag. :)

AWP79
September 11, 2009, 02:03 PM
I think one full mag would be enough for most jobs but i would hate to be stranded with only one mag.

belus
September 11, 2009, 02:03 PM
I gotta ask.... if you think a gun is prone enough to failure that you carry spare parts (a spare mag), why would you carry that gun for SD? I feel that if I'm ever in a SD situation that turns into a firefight using more than my 10rds that I'm probably hosed, and an extra 10rds isn't going to help a whole lot. If I end up in a shooting situation outside my home, my plan is to use my gun to get to my car and get out of dodge.

I carry an extra mag out of fear of accidentally dropping it, mag springs choosing to show their weakness that day, and other unpredictable malfunctions. Semi-auto's don't function without a magazine and it's a convenient spar part to bring with you.

I carry 8+1 and a reload, which is about average based on this poll. I don't think I'll need that much, but I definitely want more than two or three and the prospect of a malfunction early in the first magazine is enough to keep an extra with me.

To put it simply, if I'm bringing 17 rounds, I want it in two magazines for the extra security against a malfunction or dropped mag. A Glock 17 with a single mag would give me the same capacity, but it would be much bulkier, harder to conceal and the prospect of a mag-related malfunction makes me uncomfortable.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 02:08 PM
I think one full mag would be enough for most jobs but i would hate to be stranded with only one mag.
Exactly.

Just like four tires would be enough for most jobs -- but I always carry five.;)

RoostRider
September 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
I can't answer the questions posed at me without becoming seemingly 'snarky'.... I don't want to do that... nor do I want to convince anyone to carry less ammo... it's no weight on my belt....

I find, after many many years of carry, that the more it weighs, and the more intrusive it is (extra mags, etc), the less I carry it.... the less it is there is FAR more important than the really really off chance that a good reliable gun/mag fails to function properly (or the ridiculous notion that I may be involved in a 'firefight' lasting several reloads... I'm WAY too cowardly for that... lol)... because I have never thought beforehand, "I'm going to need my gun here" (and still go there), but have sometimes needed it despite that lack of forethought.... so, as such, I would rather have less rounds on me more often....

PS- the reload in the car is in case I feel I need to change ammo for some reason (gun dropped in water?)... since that has happened more than once in those many many years...

Deanimator
September 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
My MINIMUM is a Smith 36 with two speed loaders.

Otherwise it's a Smith 65 and two speed loaders, a .45acp M1911 and two extra seven round magazines, a Glock 19 and one extra magazine, a Glock 22 and one extra magazine, or a Browning High Power and one extra magazine.

hirundo82
September 11, 2009, 04:50 PM
My usual carry is a Glock 19 (15+1) with a spare Glock 17 mag, for a total of 33 rounds.

If I'm carrying in a shoulder holster I carry two spares to balance out the gun, for a total of 50 rounds.

If I carry a backup (S&W 642) I also carry two speed strips, so I may have up to 65 rounds on me.

My philosophy is that nobody after a gunfight wishes they had had less ammunition.

NMGonzo
September 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
5 shot .357 snub nosed and a semi - auto. Semi auto has somewhere between 8 to 15 rds depending on how I am dressing.

eJack
September 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
Gun loaded +1 and 2 spare mags

jim243
September 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
PT92 with 17 in mag +1 and 2 spare mags (52 Total)

FranklyTodd
September 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
Five

colorado_handgunner
September 12, 2009, 11:34 PM
XD-SC .40, 9 in the gun, 1 reload of 9 = 18 total. I figure that if I have a need for more than this, then I am facing multiple BGs. In that case I need to get the heck out of dodge.

Katana8869
September 12, 2009, 11:55 PM
Whatever is in the gun plus 1 reload. Doesn't matter to me if it's a 5 shot snubby or a 15 +1 Semi-auto.

middy
September 13, 2009, 02:30 AM
I insist on at least one.

RoostRider
September 13, 2009, 02:25 PM
XD-SC .40, 9 in the gun, 1 reload of 9 = 18 total. I figure that if I have a need for more than this, then I am facing multiple BGs. In that case I need to get the heck out of dodge.

Ummmm.... if you use more than 9 rounds the same things should equally apply....

NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, just everyone who thinks they need reloads at all- "Getting out of Dodge" should be your first reaction... not one that comes up when you run out of ammo after multiple reloads...

If you don't trust your magazines, get a different gun!! The odds of your mag failing are astronomically against (assuming you have the foresight to carry quality weapons and TEST THEM).... if we try to plan for everything astronomical that might happen to us.... well, we would be loaded down with so much junk we couldn't move... so why carry some things to prevent the astronomical from happening and not others?

A spare tire, or insurance or the like, does not even come close to comparing... because not only is it not astronomical that the need would arise, it is highly likely you will need them at some point.... quite a large bit different....

If you are so untrained that you release the magazine instead of shooting the gun... well, I have nothing to say to that aside from "you clearly need more training"... if the magazine drops, isn't it nearly just as fast to pick it up as it is to find and employ another...

The only logical, well reasoned, response I have seen so far for carrying extra magazines is to balance out the gun in a shoulder holster....

doc2rn
September 13, 2009, 02:46 PM
Ruger LCP, Sig 232 or 238 so 7 or 8 is plenty.

rogertc1
September 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
I like to carry at least 60+ rounds. So I can spray it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I am a bad shot.)

-v-
September 13, 2009, 05:54 PM
About 18 rounds is my usual carry. Either my XD with 17+1 in it, or CZ-40p with 11 + 1 mag, (21 total), or a Tokarev with 8 in the gun, plus a spare mag (16 total).

If any more than the above is needed, first priority should be getting out of dodge not getting into a firefight.

Girodin
September 13, 2009, 06:10 PM
well, we would be loaded down with so much junk we couldn't move... so why carry some things to prevent the astronomical from happening and not others?

If you carry a gun at all you ought to be able to answer that. I have had more mag failures than incidents that required me pulling out a pistol. The "costs" of carrying a spare mag are very low, particularly vis a vis those of carrying a pistol in the first place. Don't carry one if you do not feel the need, but is it really that much of stretch to understand why one who bothers to carry might slip one in his pocket?

Girodin
September 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
OK, this poll has been running for a week, with 277 votes...enough for some statistical validity.

Actually do to problems regarding random selection this poll is statistically worth very very little in terms of extrapolating it to people who carry, or even people who frequent this board who carry.

Vern Humphrey
September 13, 2009, 06:49 PM
If any more than the above is needed, first priority should be getting out of dodge not getting into a firefight.
First priority should always be getting out of dodge and not getting into a firefight. You carry a gun (and spare ammo) for those times when you can't get out of dodge.

RoostRider
September 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
If you carry a gun at all you ought to be able to answer that. I have had more mag failures than incidents that required me pulling out a pistol.

I can answer that, after carrying for a pretty long time.... I have never had a mag failure/breakage of any sort in a weapon that I use for CC... I wouldn't tolerate that...

Again, I'm not saying it can't happen (even to the best of arms).... just that the odds are astronomically against it happening... (if you've done your part)

I have had to pull out a pistol on several occasions.....

full metal
September 14, 2009, 01:53 AM
Around town I carry one spare mag with my Glock 23, a total of 27 rounds. When I am out doors and carry a Revolver, then I carry two speed loaders.

9MMare
September 14, 2009, 02:43 AM
S&W fullsize M&P, 9mm

17+1, plus an extra mag.

So 35 rounds

Diggers
September 14, 2009, 05:19 AM
Well what ever makes you feel good I guess.

I do have to say, I find it kinda funny that some civilians are walking around with more ammo on their person then on duty LEO's carry. :rolleyes:

But what ever makes you feel good. :)

jackstinson
September 14, 2009, 10:09 AM
Kinda hard to vote since:
1. The only examples listed are Glock and 1911.
2. There are a plethora of various round count combinations. Might have been more accurate if "spare magazines" or "reloads" were the choices.
But then, that sort of poll (like this one) has been beaten to death here also.

bigfatdave
September 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
I find it kinda funny that some civilians are walking around with more ammo on their person then on duty LEO's carry.Some of us don't have any backup to call, you know.

1911 Operator
September 15, 2009, 11:46 AM
i voted for just a loaded gun and no extra mags.

LMFAO-gun owners in this country watch too many movies. they think they need massive firepower like in "Leathal Weapon" or something :) just for personal defense.

WVMountainBoy
September 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
Carry a PT1911 or my XD depending on clothing and always a spare mag some where on my person.

medmo
September 20, 2009, 07:18 AM
If there was any situation or neighborhood I might have to put myself into where I thought there was a remote chance that 95 rounds might be needed with me..... I would just skip it and stay home. The only time I hauled around that much ammo on me was when I was in hostile environments where I had no choice on not going. One load and one reload is normal for me in CCW average civilian day to day life.

halfded
September 20, 2009, 08:17 AM
Usually a 5 or 6 shooter and two speedstrips. Sometimes I'll throw in another 2 strips of FMJ in the winter or if I'm spending time in the great outdoors.

Choclabman
September 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
G26 with 10 round magazine, and a G17 magazine as spare.

I use this combo all the time, both is business and casual attire.

Vern Humphrey
September 20, 2009, 04:20 PM
If there was any situation or neighborhood I might have to put myself into where I thought there was a remote chance that 95 rounds might be needed with me..... I would just skip it and stay home.
The reason we carry guns, have spare tires, homeowner's insurance, smoke detectors and so on is not because we go looking for trouble, but because now and then trouble comes looking for us -- and we can't avoid it.

bigfatdave
September 20, 2009, 06:34 PM
Vern Humphrey said it well.
I've always phrased it as "I don't pack because I'm going to a bad neighborhood, I pack because the criminals don't just stay in those bad neighborhoods".

Of course you have a moral end ethical duty to avoid situations that require a pistol (or a reload) whenever possible, but I don't pack based on the day's plan of action, I pack (with a reload) based on the possibility of my plans being overridden by outside factors.

Milspec78
September 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
Let's see...with my Glock 19 (one spare) and Kel-tec .380 (two spares in a Leatherman pouch) I carry a bit over 50 rounds...plus a couple extra mags for each in my bike tank bag... :)

21bubba
September 20, 2009, 07:25 PM
How many spare tires do you all carry in your car? Just in case!

BushyGuy
September 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Ruger SR9 with 17 rounds of TAP CQ i carry everyday.

i do have a spare 17 round mag loaded with 147 gr Gold dots when i go out of town.

Avenger29
September 20, 2009, 09:44 PM
If you don't trust your magazines, get a different gun!! The odds of your mag failing are astronomically against (assuming you have the foresight to carry quality weapons and TEST THEM).... if we try to plan for everything astronomical that might happen to us.... well, we would be loaded down with so much junk we couldn't move... so why carry some things to prevent the astronomical from happening and not others?

Magazines are not a "trust" item for me (I only buy quality magazines) but they can suddenly fail without warning. If you are in a shooting incident, you are already in a statestically unlikely event. For me, trouble seems to come in groups...

Or for those that carry only one extra mag, what happens if you drop that mag (or speedloader or speedstrip) in a reload? No time to drop to my knees and fumble around to find it...

I carry a revolver and at least two speedstrips and sometimes up to four. When I've carried autos, I've strived for two magazines in the hicap designs and three in the lower cap designs. And I've got more mags and ammo in the truck, and sometimes a long gun...

Want to carry 0, 2, 5, or 10 mags? More power to you. I think I will stick with two to three reloads in whatever form I carry mine in.

Dr_2_B
September 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
mine varies a lot but today it was 10 rounds in a Glock 27 backed up by about 17 in a spare mag

Avenger29
September 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
How many spare tires do you all carry in your car? Just in case!

Funny you should mention that. I've had plenty of flat tires. I've also had two tires go flat within a half mile. And I've blown three tires on a trip, but luckily had two spares that day because I was towing the boat and had a place to put them. Changing a flat is not fun. Changing another flat within a half mile of the first one makes you invent new cusswords. Changing three in one day sends you on a hunt to murder Mr. Murphy.

1911 guy
September 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
Full size 1911 with two reloads. I occassionally carry one reload, but not often. Almost always two.

Floppy_D
September 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
How prepared are you "really"?!

A valid point on a pretty broad spectrum. I assume one asking this question would always wear their seatbelt, not smoke and only drink in moderation; eat their veggies and exercise regularly. After all, what's the likely culprit in our lives? Shouldn't threats be met proprtionately? Not intended to be an arguement against rights, but against dramatically misplaced priorities. Make sure that umbrella stays closed indoors. :rolleyes:

A Taurus 85UL or an XD9, so 5 or 16 rds.

medmo
September 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
Quote:

"The reason we carry guns, have spare tires, homeowner's insurance, smoke detectors and so on is not because we go looking for trouble, but because now and then trouble comes looking for us -- and we can't avoid it."

I completely agree, understand and live my life daily using the Boy Scout Motto. That doesn't explain why it would be necessary for anyone to carry on their person almost 100 rounds of ammo in any area of the USA for CCW personal defense purposes. It just isn't realistic.

Vern Humphrey
September 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
That doesn't explain why it would be necessary for anyone to carry on their person almost 100 rounds of ammo in any area of the USA for CCW personal defense purposes.
I've never advocated anyone carrying a hundred rounds for CCW purposes. But if someone chooses to carry that much, that's his business.

Or to put it another way, I can give sound tactical reasons why one should carry extra ammo, but not why someone should carry no extra ammo.

Ske1etor
September 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
DW CBOB, 8+1 and a spare.

medmo
September 21, 2009, 05:57 PM
Quote:

"I've never advocated anyone carrying a hundred rounds for CCW purposes. But if someone chooses to carry that much, that's his business.

Or to put it another way, I can give sound tactical reasons why one should carry extra ammo, but not why someone should carry no extra ammo. "

I agree. It's no concern of mine if someone wants to haul around a couple boxes of ammo on their person all day long. From my viewpoint it is unnecessary and unrealistic for CCW self defense purposes. The negatives I can see that could come out of it is increased visits to the chiropracter and perception if lethal force was necessary. I could see a prosecuter using that in front of a grand jury. "Look, this guy was obviously looking to get into an altercation. He was walking around with close to 100 rounds on his person."

Guillermo
September 21, 2009, 08:04 PM
in addition to a reload I always carry 3 concussion grenades.

On the bad side of town I carry a pair of LAWs in really big hand tooled western style holsters.

When in LA I always have an Apache Longbow flying cover and sometimes artillery support.

When in Detroit or New Orleans I carry a suitcase nuke.
(for the nuke I do not carry a reload)

bigfatdave
September 21, 2009, 09:04 PM
Guillermo, you should really carry some spare grenade pins, just in case.
And that suitcase nuke, do you carry it in condition 1 or 3?

Guillermo
September 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
pins! damn...I should get those instead of carrying them like I do. Grenades in either hand (and another in my butt crack) makes it hard to carry on a conversation. AND pee.

As to the suitcase nuke, I only carry it in Condition 0. Makes the gang bangers back off

bigfatdave
September 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
Makes the gang bangers back off Yeah, until you use the ONLY ONE YOU HAVE!
What if there's a second need for a suitcase nuke in one night? What are you going to do then, call for backup?

Guillermo
September 21, 2009, 11:14 PM
my cell phone guy says the EMP would mess up coverage so I carry a Detective Special for backup of the suitcase nuke.

HEY...DON'T LAUGH...it IS the finest snubby ever built!!!

And after the blast everything will glow so I will not need night sights!

TexasBill
September 22, 2009, 12:00 AM
I generally carry a S&W J-frame with a couple of HKS speed loaders or a FNP-9 with 16 rounds. If I am really concerned about the area in which I'll be traveling, I either carry two spare mags for the FNP or another S&W J-frame.

tenmikemike
September 22, 2009, 12:00 AM
Colt Delta Elite stainless; 9+8+8= 25 rds
CZ 75B .40S&W; 13+12+12= 37 rds
Charter Arms Bulldog; 5+5+5= 15 rds
S&W 29-2: 6+6+6= 18 rds

I always carry at least two reloads for any CCW.

Mad Magyar
September 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
Some of you really crack me up.....:D:eek:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2vht5yc.jpg

Lonestar
September 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
The longer I have carried concealed the lighter my load has become. A full size auto with 2 mags was my freshman carry. Today it is one of my many compact guns most with a capacity of 8 or less.

The difference between my freshman years and today is I'm carrying 24/7. If I wearing a suit, I'm carrying. If I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt I'm carrying.

easyg
September 22, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'm amazed at how much weight some of you guys are carrying everyday.

If some of you fell in to a swimming pool, you would drown! :D

Schofield3
September 22, 2009, 11:51 AM
1,435 rds. on hand at all times

jbrown50
September 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
I usually only carry a j-frame S&W M&P 360 with two speed loaders, a total of 15 rounds. For the last couple of days i've been carrying only a Kahr PM9 with two spare mags, a total of 19 rounds. The speed loaders and mags are so small, light and unobtrusive that it's a no brainer to carry a couple in my back pocket.

easyg, my wife says that I have so much hot air in me i'd float no matter what.

gbran
September 22, 2009, 07:15 PM
Ideally, I'd like a 600 Nitro, 30 round pocket pistol that kicks little, is quiet and shoots MOA at 100 yds.

Until I find one of these, I'll stick with my Glock and maybe an extra mag.

searcher451
September 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
I carry a PPK/S and am comfortable with it across the board, including the number of rounds it holds. Of course, under ideal situations, I also prefer to carry a second magazine and a BUG along with the PPK/S.

04JRB
September 23, 2009, 11:06 AM
SA XD(m) 9mm, 19+1. dont usually carry any extra mags, sometimes though as it ballances out the belt sag.

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
lol, I thought a PPK/s was a BUG

medmo
September 24, 2009, 05:55 AM
Quote: "And after the blast everything will glow so I will not need night sights!"

Guillermo, now that's some funny blowing my beverage out of my nostrils stuff!

Guillermo
September 24, 2009, 09:58 AM
medmo the problem I didn't mention, is that the glow will require the use of sunglasses.

I carry a sunglass shaped mold filled with dark green sand. I figure the blast will crystalize the sand and I will be prepared.

This preparedness stuff gets complex!!!

jackstinson
September 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
I usually carry 59 spare 15-round magazines in a backpack.
You just never know when you'll be jumped by 30 meth-heads at once.

Erik M
September 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have changed carry guns, and since there is an aftermarket of reliable 20 round mags for the pt92/99 I will have 41 rounds on my person when I cc.

Clarence
September 24, 2009, 10:07 PM
I carry a 1911 with 8 rds.

If I think I'm going to need more than that I carry a rifle or shotgun.

DCWN.45
September 28, 2009, 01:29 PM
I always carry a reload for the gun I am carrying.
My usual carry guns are a Taurus 5 shot ultra light and a speed strip or a Kahr P-9 and a spare mag.
I don't expect to need a reload during a gunfight [rule of 3's , 3 shots or less, 3 yards or less, 3 seconds or less] but I would sure feel better waiting for the cops with an actual loaded gun!
Plus, most function problems with an auto are mag or ammo related.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!