Any SKS fans? Why?

PDA

makarov1
October 29, 2003, 10:15 PM
I'm the new owner of a Yugo SKS, and I'm looking to take it for a test run soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any SKS fans? Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
October 29, 2003, 10:17 PM
1. Cheap
2. Fun to shoot
3. Reliable
4. Evil grenade launcher
5. Minute of Pie Plate Accuracy

What's not to love?

StuporDave
October 29, 2003, 10:39 PM
And cheap too!

Illuminate
October 29, 2003, 10:57 PM
It also throws your brass a few hundred meters away each time you shoot it.

Mike Irwin
October 29, 2003, 11:05 PM
"minute of pie plate..."

I was shooting mine this weekend at a little THR gathering in Pennsylvania.

With a Choat replacement stock and the stock open sights, I was easily getting minute of AOL CD-ROM at 100 meters -- off hand.

Chipperman
October 29, 2003, 11:12 PM
Nice! I have not had a chance to fire mine at longer distance than about 100 feet so far. I have not yet met an AOL disc that did not need to die. :evil:

Beetle Bailey
October 29, 2003, 11:46 PM
Let's see . . .

Cheap to buy

Cheap ammo

recoil is negligible

decent customization options

reportedly not necessary to clean (but I do)

simple to operate

It can do anything except precision shooting and home defence.

I like mine a lot!

Redlg155
October 29, 2003, 11:48 PM
Cause I don't know of too many things made in 1954 in as good shape as my Russian SKS. :D

Good Shooting
Red

Beetle Bailey
October 29, 2003, 11:50 PM
Well, I guess it can be used for "minute of AOL disc" shooting and I suppose it can also be used for home defence (but not a good idea in my neighborhood).

Greg L
October 30, 2003, 12:08 AM
Seeing as how you have a Yugo, don't forget that nice little bayo that you can flip out and stab a whole bunch of people thus proving that DiFi, Chuck. Ed, etc were right to ban them all :rolleyes:

As others have mentioned, they are reasonably accurate for what they were designed to do. They are fun to shoot. They are cheap to feed. And best of all it annoys the antis when you try to get one of each flavor ever made :D .

Greg

cool45auto
October 30, 2003, 12:16 AM
I have a '59 Romanian SKS that I love. It eats a steady diet of Wolf ammo. I'd have to agree with the AOL disc comments.:p

Engineer
October 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
All of the above and I can have a Yugo or Albanian shipped to my door without having to wait for a background check at a dealer. :D

Preacherman
October 30, 2003, 12:54 AM
It can do anything except precision shooting and home defence.I'm here to tell you, on the basis of several years experience and investigating at least seven shootings, the SKS makes a darn effective home defence gun!

Beetle Bailey
October 30, 2003, 01:05 AM
Preacherman, I stand corrected. If I ever had to pick up my SKS to defend my home, the other guy or guys would have something to fear (and not just because of the bayonette). But I thought we weren't supposed to recommend rifles for home defence (or at least not if it's an urban or suburban environment). Don't know where exactly Makarov1 lives.

Makarov1, the SKS is just plain fun! Enjoy.

BamBam-31
October 30, 2003, 01:20 AM
Has anyone mentioned that the SKS is cheap? Buck-fiddy gits you a semi, boyo!!

Mine holds about 3" at 100 yds. At 50, with a little luck, I could shoot THROUGH those pesky AOL disks.

Stickjockey
October 30, 2003, 01:25 AM
Don't have one myself, but I've got a friend who does. From what I've seen, in many ways the SKS is riflery's answer to the Makarov.

CWL
October 30, 2003, 06:12 AM
Cheap. Cheap to feed. Reliable. I wont cry if it rusts or gets dirty. I've seen them used in combat without a hitch. Can store it away almost forever. No big loss if broken.

OEF_VET
October 30, 2003, 10:34 AM
The only problem I've ever had with SKS's is slam-firing. That turned me off to the type for several years after I got rid of my Russian. After joining this forum though, my tinfoil hat wasn't strong enough to resist y'all's mind-control rays, and I ended up getting a Norinco. So far, it's been utterly reliable, fun, and cheap. What more can you ask for in a plinker?

jrhead75
October 30, 2003, 11:03 AM
Well thank you very much! Starting an SKS thread right when I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the 55 Tula down at the local Gun Boutique. :D

Okay...I'm not trying REAL hard to talk myself out of it, my Yugo would like the company.

My answer to the original question? See the above posts. ;)

JPM63US
October 30, 2003, 11:18 AM
What could be better for keeping a buglar (unarmed) as bay until police arive than that folding bayonet?? Perfect for home defense.

jem375
October 30, 2003, 11:20 AM
Kind of a funny question since you just bought one.......

dave3006
October 30, 2003, 11:31 AM
At $100-$150 each, the SKS is practically free. I know some guys who spend that on "tactical" flashlights. Buy three or four. Arm the neighbors during the next SHTF.

mtnbkr
October 30, 2003, 11:51 AM
I was easily getting minute of AOL CD-ROM at 100 meters

You were putting a lot of shots through the hole in the center IIRC. :evil: :neener: :D

BTW, was that a 100meter or 100yd range? I assumed yards.

Chris

Mike Irwin
October 30, 2003, 12:52 PM
IIRC that was with my .303 that I was putting them through the center hole. :)

100 meters, 100 yards, hey, they're both farther than I can see!

son of a gun
October 30, 2003, 12:58 PM
The SKS is the James Dean of assault rifles(technically not a AR) a cheap Commie gun any average Joe can afford. In case he wants to shoot at the WhiteHouse.:neener:

gburner
October 30, 2003, 02:17 PM
Cheap to shoot, easy to maintain, tougher than a mother-in-law's love.
Perhaps the most perfect 'truck gun' ever made.

ps...if you paint the stock black and add a bi-pod , the sight of the rifle is guarenteed to cause a fit of spastic involuntary defecation among anti's and their ilk.:p

355sigfan
October 30, 2003, 02:26 PM
They are cheap and reliable. If your poor they make an ok deer rifle at close range. If you like com block weapons they are fine. As for accuracy they suck. Most I have shot will not hold 5 inches at 100 yards.
Pat

DJJ
October 30, 2003, 02:27 PM
Plus, in a roundabout way, you've already paid for it via your Cold War tax dollars. ;) Might as well take advantage of it.

Destructo6
October 30, 2003, 02:58 PM
Turner's Outdoorsman has them for $159 this week and that's retail.

It would be hard to add to what the other's have said.

Dorrin79
October 30, 2003, 03:13 PM
cheap to feed, cheap to buy

utterly reliable.

the only downside is its unimpressive accuracy, but it'll still do what is needed

teppo-shu
October 30, 2003, 06:38 PM
Has anyone mentioned these?

Cheap gun + Cheap Ammo + Uber-reliable = FUN FUN FUN!!;)

Gewehr98
October 30, 2003, 10:06 PM
They give the anti-gunner's something to whine about.

They're cheap to shoot.

Light-recoiling.

Easy transition gun for newer shooters moving up from rimfires - if you're worried about it being semi-auto for them, load one round at a time, or remove the gas piston. On a Yugo, turn off the gas valve.

All the SKS variants I've owned have shot better than the Ruger Mini-14's I've owned - and for considerably less investment.

This particular Yugo SKS has no problem keeping groups inside 3" at 100 yards. With my handloads it's closer to 2".

http://mauser98.com/yugosksbench.jpg

kentucky bucky
October 30, 2003, 11:20 PM
I bought one simply because it pisses off people like Chucky Schumer and Ted Kennedy.:D

goon
October 31, 2003, 12:06 AM
Simply put, they rock.
They are cheap, reliable, cheap to shoot, and easy to accessorize.
I was shooting my brother's a few weeks ago and I was hitting chicken silouhettes at 200m without too much difficulty.
I don't have one yet, but I would like to add one to my collection.

PAshooter
October 31, 2003, 02:19 PM
Cause I don't know of too many things made in 1954 in as good shape as my Russian SKS.

Hey - I represent that remark, Red. I was made in 1954 and... well... I gotta admit my '54 Tula is in pretty good shape considering... and I could stand to lose a few and maybe lay off the...

But seriously, I love my SKS... it's a neat, simple, reliable, cheap to feed, easy to maintain piece of history that's a blast to shoot. I held off buying one until I came across one "born" the same year I was... as a child of the Cold War, I thought it was kinda cool that we "grew up" on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain.

But I'm not in that bad a shape :D

telomerase
November 1, 2003, 09:38 PM
Plus, in a roundabout way, you've already paid for it via your Cold War tax dollars.

Nothing roundabout about it; US subsidies to the communist bloc nations paid for your SKS:
http://freedom.orlingrabbe.com/lfetimes/dependent_dictators.htm

And the same subsidies also paid for the nuclear weapons that are still aimed at you and your children today. What a deal! Too bad there wasn't any money left over for civil defense (except in Switzerland, where through shameful neglect of their duty to support indigent dictators, they've ended up with well-stocked bunkers under every home, business and school).

I would add the caveat that not every Chinese SKS is a jewel, and slam-fires can happen. Ali Jugo SKSe su vrlo dobar!

glockguy609
November 2, 2003, 04:48 PM
well I think you guys just made my mind up on my next purchase, well after the SIG 226 I'm lookin at, so what are the ones to stay away from and the best ones to look for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any SKS fans? Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!