scope mounting wow im mad

PDA

chevyforlife21
September 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
i just spent the last hour and a half putting on a bushnell sportsman 3-9 scope on my ruger 77/22 very carefully and precise i might add. when i open the bolt it hits the scope power adjuster (notice how big the bushnell adj.power rings are). ive tried sliding the scope backward and forward it still wont work in some points i cant even open the bolt handle others can but i have to use a little force. should i file the plastic down so i can use it? or should i bring it back to gander mtn wich i just payed 50 bucks plus tax for. my 2 other options are a tasco pronghorn for 50 bucks also, or another bushnell .22 scope for 40 bucks but that may have the same problem. i must add i realy want this scope on here cuse it matches my stainless finish and i like bushnells. does gander mtn except returns on optics that were opened and mounted but not used?

If you enjoyed reading about "scope mounting wow im mad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
September 5, 2009, 10:52 PM
Higher rings?

cyclopsshooter
September 5, 2009, 10:52 PM
would higher rings help?

chevyforlife21
September 5, 2009, 10:57 PM
it uses factory ruger rings that are only 1 size

cyclopsshooter
September 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
do you mean 1"? if so, that means the diameter of the scope tube, ring heights are indicated by low, medium, high

go to your local gun store, they will have tons of options

chevyforlife21
September 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
no ruger only has one size fits all.

cyclopsshooter
September 5, 2009, 11:06 PM
so get weaver or leupold rings

cat_IT_guy
September 5, 2009, 11:07 PM
return it and grab a different one. I would not file a brand new scope.

chevyforlife21
September 5, 2009, 11:07 PM
rugers have integrated bases and special rings

cyclopsshooter
September 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139326676

usmc1371
September 5, 2009, 11:27 PM
Yes ruger rifles need ruger rings BUT you can get taller rings made by ruger just for projects like yours. I think your rifle came with a medium and a high, try to find a high/extra high combo you should be good to go. IIRC ruger uses tow dif hights of rings ie the front and rear ring aint the same. some one on here will know for sure.

dmazur
September 6, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have a Ruger 77/17 (which I understand is similar to the 77/22) and I noticed the lack of clearance for a scope. I'm using a Leupold VX-II (6-18X) and the bolt handle barely clears the occular bell.

Here's a link to Brownell's -

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24396/Product/FACTORY_SCOPE_RINGS

While most Ruger model 77's use different height rings, the 77/22 and 77/17 don't. They use identical height rings like those for the Ruger #1.

You may be able to get a pair of rings that will solve your problem. If ordering from Brownell's, note that you have to order two rings, as they are sold separately.

chevyforlife21
September 6, 2009, 12:02 AM
oh ok, and my rings are the same height im prett ysure of it the scope looked totaly level on the gun unless thats my problem i thought they were the same

jmr40
September 6, 2009, 12:05 AM
Ruger offers rings in for the 77-22 in low, medium, high, and extra high. They also offer them for 30mm scopes. Check out www.ruger.com

chevyforlife21
September 6, 2009, 12:15 AM
it says right on brownells that for a 77/22 the rings are the same height. the mk77 though is totaly different and has 2 differnt sizes like dmazur said.

mljdeckard
September 6, 2009, 12:25 AM
The only thing more infuriating than a scope/ring/rifle mismatch is store staff whose only solution is to start over from scratch because they have no idea what products they carry or what you need. They will try to get you into a different scope, base, and rings when all you need is a set of spacers or higher rings.

chevyforlife21
September 6, 2009, 12:30 AM
id hate to drop 80 plus bucks on new rings i only paid 50 for the scope and thats the most ive ever spent on a scope. spacers might do me good though first im gonna try and get a tasco pronghorn or bushnell .22 scope cuse my bushnell sportsman is pretty bulky so maybe thats the only problem.

jmr40
September 6, 2009, 01:12 AM
Check with Ruger first. Ruger rings are all the same except for the finish. They come in several sizes. Some rifles and handguns use the same size front and rear like the 77-22. The centerfire rifles use the same rings, you just use a taller ring on the rear than front to compensate for the receiver being taller in front. Ruger ships most rifles with medium rings, but will exchange the rings that come with the rifle for the size you need free. Or they used to at least.

CB900F
September 6, 2009, 03:38 PM
Chevyforlife;

I have a scoped Ruger 77/22. The objective bell of the 4-12 X scope is rather large. I was able to go to a decent sized sporting goods store out in the middle of Montana & buy a set of Ruger rings high enough to properly mount the scope. It's not a big deal, honest, you should be able to do the same. If nothing else, your store should certainly be able to order what you need.

900F

R.W.Dale
September 6, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've heard that ruger will exchange rings free of charge if the set shipped with the rifle won't work with your optic.

i only paid 50 for the scope and thats the most ive ever spent on a scope

I actually feel kinda sorry for you.

Ratshooter
September 6, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yes Ruger will trade out rings with you but IIRC they have to be in the unopened package.

id hate to drop 80 plus bucks on new rings i only paid 50 for the scope and thats the most ive ever spent on a scope.

After going through the same phase when I started shooting I finally learned my lesson about cheap scopes. I won't even look at a $50 scope. Scopes for 22s start at a hundred bucks and go up from there.

When I think about all the ammo I wasted trying to keep one sighted in and all the hours spent sitting in a deer stand wondering if my cheap scope was still on target I found out a cheap scope is the most expensive you can get. Good luck.

Vern Humphrey
September 6, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have a Burris Mini 3X9 on my Ruger M77/22M. That scope is made for smaller rifles (and specifically .22s) and it's a beautiful match. The rifle just looks right, not over-balanced with the scope in place and shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with ammo it likes.

jimmyraythomason
September 6, 2009, 06:36 PM
WOW! A man asks about a scope MOUNTING problem and it only takes 22 replys before the snobbery starts. Bushnell makes great scopes for rim fires that are inexpensive,rugged,hold zero and are super clear. I have several on my .22s and .22mags. Why can't we just answer the man's question without comment on his choice of optics?

Vern Humphrey
September 6, 2009, 06:50 PM
Why can't we just answer the man's question without comment on his choice of optics?
Because the choice of optics influences the ability to mount the scope, of course. There are some scopes you can never mount on some rifles. A slim 3X9 or a fixed power scope is ideal on a 77/22, doesn't over-balance the rifle, and gives all the scope you need.

jimmyraythomason
September 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
In this case all that is needed is a higher set of rings. I have had the same problem and so have most people here. The fact that he only paid $50 for the scope is completely irrelevant.

chevyforlife21
September 6, 2009, 06:57 PM
the scope that came on my savage .243 doesnt even have a brand on it and it has been able to hi tthe same bullet hole at 100 yards for the last 150 rounds so far and this gun was only 350 bucks with the scope.

chevyforlife21
September 6, 2009, 07:01 PM
btw guys today i went to gander told them it doesnt fit but everythings there and its all good they took it i got a tasco pronghorn 3-9 40 mm and mounted it i chose it cuse of it looked a lot slimmer even the bushnell .22 scope was bulky. so i got the tasco on there and i didnt get to sight it in yet 2maro ill bring it out its clear and has a diamond reticule so i like it plus theres alittle clearence now and i can use it.

Uncle Mike
September 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well I don't know about a 3-9 being the 'best' for anything... I would assume if the gentleman wanted a 6-24 on his .22 it would be an excellent choice....

I would not file the power ring on a new, or used for that matter, scope...

Taller rings are not the answer...unless your intending on adding a cheek-piece to get your eye up, and in alignment with the center-line of the optic.

I have several 77/22's and all but one wear Weaver 'V' series scopes...never a clearance issue with the bolt handle...and all but that one have large magnification (2-10, 3-12 and a 6-25) scope on them, and yes... all of these 'big' scope have 50mm objectives.

On a bright day...I can watch the bullets trace and splash from 20y or so out to 130y...pretty cool.

Uncle Mike
September 6, 2009, 07:05 PM
whoops...double tap...lol

Vern Humphrey
September 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
In this case all that is needed is a higher set of rings.
Or a different scope. No sense blackguarding Ruger for their rings if the scope is on the large size for a .22. As one poster has noted:
Taller rings are not the answer...unless your intending on adding a cheek-piece to get your eye up, and in alignment with the center-line of the optic.

jimmyraythomason
September 6, 2009, 07:31 PM
The topic was to gain clearance for the bolt handle. In order to make the scope in question work,higher scope rings was the only option. An add on cheek piece would be beneficial for eye/scope alignment but by no means critical. Apparently the problem has been solved so it is now a moot point.

Walkalong
September 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
Ruger 77/22 .22 Hornet with a Buckmaster 6-18X40 scope. Rings are taller than needed for the objective, but the bolt clears. Best I can tell they are medium rings. Two options, as others have posted, higher rings, or a different scope.

jimmyraythomason
September 7, 2009, 11:35 PM
So it's okay to tell someone you feel sorry for them because of their choice of optics? Yes that is snobbery. The OP asked for help in mounting his scope not for a critique of his scope.

chevyforlife21
September 8, 2009, 12:28 AM
at 50 yards i was shootin at a soda bottle top today after i got that sighted in its acurate

Vern Humphrey
September 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
So it's okay to put words in someone's mouth, mischaracterize their posts and "quote" words they never said? Yes that is snobbery.

jimmyraythomason
September 8, 2009, 10:55 AM
I did not put words in anyone's mouth. I did not identify who I was referring to. I figured anybody who read all the responses would naturally know which post I was referring to. Post #21 actually says he feels sorry for him. I think from now on I'll just avoid any thread that deals with scopes.

Vern Humphrey
September 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
I did not put words in anyone's mouth.
So give us the post where someone said they "feel sorry for the OP because of his choice of optics?"

R.W.Dale
September 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
I said it in post #21

and you know what? I still stand by it. I'd feel for the guy because if the feller has never spent more than $50 on a scope then he has no idea what even a merely decent optic is like and has no idea the of the amount of shooting enjoyment he's missed out on and the grief he's caused himself.

A ruger 77/22 isn't a cheap rifle so more could have been dedicated to optics. I'd take a $50 rifle with a $400 optic every time over a $400 rifle with a $50 scope

and NO this is't snobbery. Hell I'm almost in the po house myself. No because if I can't afford to put a decent optic on the rifle I don't buy the rifle! there's decent optics to be had for as little as $75

RSVP2RIP
September 8, 2009, 07:24 PM
Take the brow beating to private messages. When Brownells said the rings were the same height for the 77/22 they were correct. The rings used in Ruger's 77MKII are differet heights. The rear ring is taller to compensate for the differences in the reciever ring and bridge heights. The 77/22 ring and bridge are the same height so the same size rings would be needed to complete any given scope height. The fatory rings that come with the gun can be returned to ruger and they will exchange them to any height you want for the cost of shipping only. I always wondered why they didn't put this in the manual. Give them a call and they will take care of you. The rings that come with the 77/22 are medium height. Go with high and your bolt handle should clear.

chevyforlife21
September 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
thanks but ive got it set up perfect with my tasco , it was just the dumbass bulky bushnell lol. that bein said i love bushnell but it wouldnt work for me

hogshead
September 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
Well at least you [jr] didnt tell him he was gonna abuse his scope if he filed on it.lol

If you enjoyed reading about "scope mounting wow im mad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!