if you died today...

PDA

ROBBY.1911
September 6, 2009, 02:42 AM
if you died today who would take care of your guns? someone has to become responsible for everything you leave behind. it's not like what to do with the contents of your sock drawer. if you have no relatives a stranger is going to step in and liquidate your assets. and if i know people, a stranger would probably have your guns at his house because "who is going to know?" you can't collect on your guns from up in the great beyond, but there should be some deserving person or persons who would welcome and treasure your firearms. i'm not sure what is involved in a simple will, but i am going to find out. i own seven 1911s, a glock and a winchester shotgun. that's a small personal inventory but i intend for it to grow. if i have to file an addendum every time i add a gun, i will always up to date on serial numbers and the beneficiary(s) of my passing. you are thinking that robby is one morbid son of a bitch, but this is for you. i am taking mine with me!

If you enjoyed reading about "if you died today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
N003k
September 6, 2009, 02:53 AM
I've considered a massive life insurance policy, and having a personal tomb built....that's part armory...okay...mostly armory by the time I die :P

Several racks of guns all surrounding a sarcophagus with my body inside? What could be better!?

Seriously though, I'm still rather young, only 19....if I died TODAY, my guns would be my fathers, if I live to have a family, it would depend on how my family felt about them, if I had good for nothing kids who I couldn't trust to treasure them, I'd pass them to my wife, if I was still married and died first, or a friend I knew would be able to treasure them.

Forbidding either of those? Sell off any not overly unique and donate the proceeds to the NRA, and donate any unique ones TO the NRA.

PandaBearBG
September 6, 2009, 02:57 AM
If I died today, who would take care of my guns? Well my pistol would be in police evidence room, because if some thug/robber/gang got me I'm pretty sure I would go down a fighting! hahaha

No I think you will idea is pretty good, considering serial numbers. Smart thinking. Might have to update mine.

CapnMac
September 6, 2009, 03:03 AM
Instructions to the named executor of my estate include a check the "In the Event of My Death, Read this" file on the computer, which details instructions for things not in the proper will. Estates change, so do the parties involved. Will need updating, rather like everything else.

MD_Willington
September 6, 2009, 03:48 AM
A family friend would have mine, my wife would not keep them as they would be a PITA to get back to Canada.

Cosmoline
September 6, 2009, 04:23 AM
It's a fair question. Death comes fast and unexpected to many people. If their firearms are very valuable they'll probably be sold off to satisfy the estate's creditors. In most cases though they're just run of the mill firearms (or thought to be such) and are grabbed up by whatever relative moves in first.

If there's a particular child or relation you want a particular firearm to go to, it's not too difficult to set up the bequest by will. Or you can just tell people and hope they follow through.

But really, though, by that time you'll quit caring about the whole thing. I've seen enough sudden death in my work to know that life can be gone in any instant. So use your firearms and get what you can out of them while you're alive. It's all just junk.

damien
September 6, 2009, 04:29 AM
This is what wills are for. Guns are just property, don't let them fool you. Unless, of course, you have some historically significant gun, and then I would suggest you consider a public museum.

BHP FAN
September 6, 2009, 04:30 AM
My boy gets everything.God willing.

September 6, 2009, 04:36 AM
My oldest gets them all. He is deployed to Af. at present and the only one who really appreciates shooters. He reloads and fires comp. with his sniper buddies. My youngest had rather play video games and the middle one chasing cows or antelopes. My daughter has her own and if she continues to appreciate them I may change some things. wc

Mr. Bojangles
September 6, 2009, 06:26 AM
It is in my will that I will be buried with my guns and lots of ammo. When I come back as a zombie I want to be armed, otherwise I will have to gnaw on the living with my teeth, and that would be disgusting.

rogertc1
September 6, 2009, 06:42 AM
I have it in my will that my gun collection goes to my son.

meadmkr
September 6, 2009, 06:53 AM
As noted in my will the daughter gets first pick (up to 50% of them) and my nephew gets the rest....

jaholder1971
September 6, 2009, 10:22 AM
My nieces and/or their husbands if they're shooters.

Other than than that, its up to whoever's left.

KarenTOC
September 6, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm more concerned about what will happen to my dogs. My son is my sole heir. He loves guns. My dogs - not so much.

psyopspec
September 6, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'm 25. My will contains specifications for dividing them up amongst certain family members and hunting/shooting buddies.

For anyone in the military, you have free access to a JAG for estate planning. Producing my will and specifying some other arrangements took less than an hour. Well worth it for the peace of mind it provides to me and to my loved ones if I die.

Your death will be hard enough on your family. Trying to hash out who gets what or what to do with certain items of your property shouldn't be one more thing they have to worry about.

Silent Bob
September 6, 2009, 12:28 PM
deleted

22-rimfire
September 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
It is good to make advance plans for disposing of your assets if you have an untimely death. Things happen every single day; car accidents, crime victims, heart attacks, etc. Honestly, having a will is no guarantee that your firearms will be disposed of in accordance with your wishes. But at least you tried to do the responsible thing.

AK103K
September 6, 2009, 01:19 PM
Who cares, I'll be dead.

If my kids dont know what to do, we'll, doom on them then. :)

leadcounsel
September 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
For anyone in the military, you have free access to a JAG for estate planning. Producing my will and specifying some other arrangements took less than an hour. Well worth it for the peace of mind it provides to me and to my loved ones if I die.

I can say firsthand that a standard will is typically inadequate for passing along firearms. Most JAGs won't do trusts either. Some, including me, will as an additional service.

I recommend putting your guns and valuables in a trust. It's easy to do even for non-lawyers with over-the-counter legal software.

A trust puts and protects property in a trust, and puts you as the beneficiary and trustee with permission to use the assets.

The advantages of putting your guns in a trust are many:
1. Directs what happens to each firearm, a primary and secondary beneficiary to receive it, and instructions such as "shall not sell or give away," etc.

2. Protects assets from creditors while you are living. Say you get sued. Your guns are trust assets, not yours.

3. Protects your assets from estate issues after you die; probate, arguments, creditors, etc.

DammitBoy
September 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
My daughter gets them.

weisse52
September 6, 2009, 02:39 PM
I recommend putting your guns and valuables in a trust. It's easy to do even for non-lawyers with over-the-counter legal software.

That answer wins.

FROGO207
September 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
One of my brothers is the only one that shows any interest in most of my collection. My sister gets some special ones (she will use)she likes. The trust idea is a good thing to look into.

halfded
September 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
That's the wifey for me. Nobody else I'd really trust to care for them for me.

SleazyRider
September 7, 2009, 08:43 PM
A trust is a good idea for avoiding probate, but provides little protection from creditors in many states, especially in matters of negligence lawsuits. It's important to have your beneficiaries apply for their firearms permits NOW, while you're alive, so they can legally own your firearms after you die. Many states, including New York, allow for joint ownership, where you can list your firearms on two or more permits.

Regardless of firearms, if your assets are modest, a will will work fine; if your assets are significant, you might consider retaining a trust attorney who specializes in estate planning.

bearmgc
September 7, 2009, 08:47 PM
If I died today, everything would be a mute point. Silly thread.

4v50 Gary
September 7, 2009, 08:50 PM
Davy Jones locker got its dibs in already. :(

However, there are some flintlocks as well as some military replica cap-lock minie rifles that I'd like to go to some National Battlefield Parks (they can use them for live fire demonstrations).

Phydeaux642
September 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't have anyone that is interested in what I have, so, I've been thinking a lot lately of selling most of what I have. I'm at a point where I would like to have a few really nice guns that I use than have a bunch of stuff that I don't use much. Selling them is just such a pain in the behind, though.

Officers'Wife
September 7, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hopefully by that time my son and daughter will be old enough to inherit. If not Hubby would see they were cared for and fed a proper diet.

PTK
September 8, 2009, 01:49 AM
Everything I have is currently willed to my little sister, along with values and instructions.

Prince Yamato
September 8, 2009, 02:05 AM
Some to family, the rest in the coffin with me... hey, that way if there's an apocalypse and you're really desperate, you know where you can find some guns and ammo... you can literally have them over my dead body :D.

paintballdude902
September 8, 2009, 02:22 AM
well im only 19 and have about a dozen ..... ummm family and friends if i had a chance there are certain people that would each get one my very close friends 2 of my neices 1 is a hunter and the other i hope will be she turns 2 in january but i would want her to have something from me if i wasnt gonna be there my nephew sam the other two are being raised in a strict dem house hold that is pretty anti but their father (my half brother) does have one pistol, a gen 1 1873 colt peace maker that has been in his family since it was new it was left to him thats why he has it. i wouldnt mind leaving them one of my rifles on the condition that it was to be used and not sold

and jsut because people say you can take it with you i want my enfield with a bandolier of ammo in the casket with me

flrfh213
September 8, 2009, 02:52 AM
i only have a few but if i died today..... gmac would be pissed so would bank of america.... but wife and son would have a few guns to remember me by..... lmao...

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 8, 2009, 02:52 AM
I want my coffin to be filled with all my guns and ammo, like Sarah Connor.

danbrew
September 8, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm really surprised your lawyer went along with this:

Instructions to the named executor of my estate include a check the "In the Event of My Death, Read this" file on the computer, which details instructions for things not in the proper will. Estates change, so do the parties involved. Will need updating, rather like everything else.

Unless it's something like "change the oil in the car every 3000 miles". No important instruction should be left to such a chance method. Without even thinking about fraud, computers fail. Passwords get changed. I wouldn't want any type of meaningful note left in such a manner.

Davek1977
September 8, 2009, 08:24 AM
My nephews are to inherit any guns I have. My wife may be temprary custodian of said guns if I go first, but she too is aware that once we have both expired, the boys (my nephews) get the lot of them. However, as I approach the age where my demise is more certainty than conjecture, I may start dispersing them to my nephews while I'm still around to see them enjoy them a bit, if aforded such a luxery.

garyr
September 8, 2009, 09:00 AM
I set up a Trust this year with my brother handling everything. Everything goes to my two boys when they come of age. And if I die today..I can only hope they get as much enjoyment from them as I did.

danprkr
September 8, 2009, 09:41 AM
Great! Thanks a lot! A question requiring thought on the day back from vacation. And I thought you people were nice!:fire:

Seriously, I'll have to give that some thought. In my previous marriage my wife was into guns enough to just let her deal with it, but my current wife, well she's learning to shoot because we sometimes have cash in the office, and they're around, but could really care less. So, I don't know.

eight433
September 8, 2009, 10:07 AM
If i died today, they would go to my parents. I would bet the mosin nagant rifles would be sold or given to friends of mine. They would probably keep a marlin 60 that belonged to my mothers brother whom died young, a S&W model 41 and that belonged to my mothers father, a .32 revolver from my dads father, and my replica colt BP .36 would go to my brother (who already owns the other half of the pair) The PF9 would likely be sold as well. couple more that nobody cares about. Just as such, the weapons kept would SURELY make their way to the back of a closet and never see another round unless they eventually were passed down to another family member whom is most likely not born yet as far as I can immagine.

Neo-Luddite
September 8, 2009, 10:29 AM
if you died today who would take care of your guns?

Don't own any worth mentioning; my kids ALREADY have title.

eatont9999
September 8, 2009, 10:30 AM
I guess my mother would have to take possession of my stash. She is the only one I know of in the family with a full LTC and able to take possession of large capacity firearms. My uncle has a license of some kind, but I don't know what. He lives in an anti-gun city. She would most likely sell the majority of them and keep the money. She may contact a gun buddy of mine and sell some to him, but that is only if she thinks of it. She has very little interest in firearms. I had her get the LTC so she can have something in the house. She does not want to carry for some reason. Being a real estate, one would think she would carry.

If my gun buddy bought my stuff, he would probably keep my VZ-52 she and the 500 rounds of ammo it has. The rest of the stuff he either has already or I bought it from him.

Ala Dan
September 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Considering that my wife doesn't know what weapons I have; and much
less what they are worth, I have debated this issue over and over in my
head. My daughter jumped ship from her marriage, and is currently living
with a male that I simply cannot stand. I do not want the guns [or any
proceeds] too go to him (directly or indirectly); howver I want my grand
daughter too reap the benefits of such sale of these items. I guess that
I need to contact a good attorney, and set up a living will~! ;) :scrutiny:

Norinco982lover
September 8, 2009, 12:15 PM
My wife would take them. She would probably give them to my father and her father and perhaps save some for her brother or my brothers. She might sell them if she gets hard up for money but she'll be sure to keep her CCH gun, her XD9SC, no matter what happens.

~Norinco

JTH
September 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
Me and my best friend from High School has already discussed this topic. We are both in our mid 50's now. Whoever goes first is reasponsible for the others weapons. I don't have kids and what family I do have is too irresponsible to have such weapons. If you know that you're dying just sell all but 1 to a gun dealer.
JTEX

Geno
September 8, 2009, 01:17 PM
Why my wife would sell them guns like they was yesterday's dirt, and fund psychiatric services for her second husband.

Oh to be certain, the date would start out alright. He'd be trying to impress by petting my old dog, "Infidel". Dog's trained to bite the hand that feeds and pets him. The man would be trying ride my horse named "Traitor". Horse is trained to make you think he's tame...'til you wake up on the ground realizing he ain't never been rid! All my finest cigars are laced with those exploding tips; and my 15-year-old scotch is laced with vinegar.

By this point, I reckon the man would be in need of some peace and calm. He would retire to his new side of the bed, where he'd encounter I have my size 13 cowboy boots tucked not so discretely under "his" side of the bed, with a note rolled-up and stuck in the strap that would read:

Good luck there, lil' buddy. I'll be watching for ya from up here in Heaven. Two years married to that woman, you'll be up here with me. I'll leave Heaven's porch light on.

Geno

CoRoMo
September 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
The wife can decide where they go. I'm sure she'd give 'em to the boy.

The real question is...

What is she going to do with the hundreds of thousands of dollars from life the insurance payment upon my death?

ByAnyMeans
September 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
My fiance would get them all. She loves everyone of them.

DammitBoy
September 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
If any of you old coots think you are dying and have no one to give your collection to - just let me know.

I'll be happy to take care of your guns and you can rest assured your firearms will have found a home where they will be loved and cared for...

Grey_Mana
September 8, 2009, 03:45 PM
Let somebody know your combinations, so they aren't spending your money getting safes opened.

Not just in case of death, a bad stroke can leave you able to responsibly enjoy your guns, but not able to remember your computer passwords or safe combo.

Elbert P . Suggins
September 8, 2009, 04:09 PM
If I died today, all my guns except one would go to my wife and if she died along with me like in a car wreck they would go evenly to our three kids except that one gun. And that one gun which would be a 38, would be buried with me because of the fear of having being buried alive. And I have this belief because in 1968 my two friends and I who had just started college at the U of I decided that we needed to dig up a grave. Not your every plot in the rural cemetary, but a homesteaders grave. James H. Shady was his name and I will never forget it. The local inhabitant of the grill and bar, old Bill, at the time who was 96 told us young kids of the farmer out on the point that lived there and come into town on Fridays to get his supplies. He hit the local brothels along with the feed store and got VD. He suffered for many months according to old Bill and never showed up for a long time during the early months of 03. He and others went out to the cabin to see what had happened and found him dead. So they buried him beside his cabin ALONG with his Colt 44-40 because he had a note on his desk at the cabin saying "if after my expiration please put me underground in a pine container with my pistol". That pistol is what we found in the grave along with an expired cartridge under the hammer. The casket had caved in over the years, the only clothes we found were leather boots and the ends of suspenders but his skull had a hole at the right side of the knose cavity. This is something I will never forget to my dying day and you can say all you want about death and dying but the thought of being buried alive is one thing that gets me breathing real hard after seeing that. Forgive me for rambling!

ByAnyMeans
September 8, 2009, 05:09 PM
Elbert,

Given your findings I can understand your desire. Now I have to get me a coffin gun. Looks like a new caliber thread in the making, watch out.

RichieDubs
September 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
My brother, who is also a firearms enthusiast, gets my guns.

sniper5
September 8, 2009, 10:12 PM
My youngest son has no interest in firearms whatsoever. My oldest son and wife can pick what they like to keep. My instructions are that the rest are to be donated to museums.

Bababooey
September 8, 2009, 10:13 PM
Nobody.

StrawHat
September 9, 2009, 08:15 AM
As I get older I think about this more frequently. I maintain a list of who gets what but recently I have started giving the folks the guns I want them to have. When I am dead, my list may not be honored for whatever reason but at least I will have disposed of some of the stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "if you died today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!