Looking for a good 'car gun'

PDA

jn1965
September 6, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey guys,

I do a lot of traveling and staying in hotels. I am looking for something I can carry in the car and up to my room without drawing attention to myself. I currently take the 'ole TTC' with me, but as I do not have a pistol permit for some of the lame states I go to I am a felony waiting to happen. I want to carry something legal but small in those places. What do you guys suggest?
I am open to a cheap 12ga, short rifle, etc.
Cheap is an operative word as it will get tossed in the trunk in a bag, then dragged into hotels and hopefully never needed in defense.

Reliable is the other key word as when it is needed I need it to work.

Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good 'car gun'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hamourkiller
September 6, 2009, 09:12 AM
Used 30-30 Winchester.
12ga coach gun
Used pump 12ga cut off to 18.5" bbl
Used single shot 12ga cut to 18.5" bbl

All cheap and effective.

Mp7
September 6, 2009, 09:13 AM
a single-shot 12.ga with a shellholder on the buttstock.

can of pepperspray
Knife.

zoom6zoom
September 6, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mine's an AK underfolder.

DasFriek
September 6, 2009, 11:33 AM
Cheap and reliable is Ruger semi autos and Taurus's.
Cheaper is High Point.
It seems you dont want fancy or pay for uneccesary niceties,id go with a HiPoint .45 at about $140.
If its stolen from your room or lost no real biggy beyong the police report.Throw it in a bag of sharp rocks and if it gets scratched up who cares?
But it will be accurate enough and reliable and thats what matters.
I like stuff a tad nicer so id go Ruger or Taurus,but its not necessary either.

A pistol gripped 12 guage Mossberg would fill the roll nicely,but i wouldnt like trying to get that in unnoticed.

HoosierQ
September 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
Find an inexpensive single shot 12ga. Some of those break in half. Store it and carry it in halved in some sort of rectangular box or case. Heck, get a guitar or violin case. :D

+1 in the shell holder on the butstock. The elastic gives out on those after a short while but they're cheap.

A set up like that ought to be perfectly legal just about every where (check local laws as YMMV) and you'd never fell or be undergunned under any but the most dire of circumstances.

I am right now in WI having traveled through IL to get here. Handguns are not an option for me and what I described above would suit me!

kdstrick
September 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
pistol grip pump shotty 18" bbl. It will be short enough to carry in a duffle bag.

chuckusaret
September 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
pistol grip pump shotty 18" bbl. It will be short enough to carry in a duffle bag.
I have a Mossberg 12ga with pistol grips on both ends that I carry in foam lined violin case when I travel along with several handguns. No one every raises an eyebrow when I carry it thru the lobby of the motel/hotel.

lobo9er
September 6, 2009, 01:54 PM
For me these are the funniest to buy, guns that are reliable, accurate and already have some dings.

DFW1911
September 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Good recommendations so far: I'd watch for a 30-30.

I keep a $100 Mosin carbine in my truck. It works well, is reasonably accurate, and fires a potent round that isn't too common, so if the bad guys get it they're going to need to look for some rounds (7.62X54R).

Oh, and if it really hits the fan, it has a pretty significant bayonet.

A SKS is also another good consideration, as is a short-barrel 12 gauge, or an Enfield carbine in .303.

DFW1911

PS: If you happen to be in DFW I'll tell you where you can get Mosins and Enfields in the $75-$150 range.

BillyDa59
September 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
Get one of those semiauto streetsweepers.
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh09-e.htm
As soon as any BG attacks or you see a nice deer standing on the side of the road, you can put on what I like to call a "12 Gauge fiesta." What you gotta do is buy a bunch of that ridiculous exotic ammo. You know, like the incendiary, flare, and flechette shells. As a general rule of thumb, the more you cringe when reading the description of the ammo, the more you should buy the stuff. After you have a wide assortment of the horrific ammunition you load up one of each shell into your shotgun. That streetsweeper holds 12 shells I believe. As soon as you're loaded up all you need is an excuse to have your fiesta!

Heh. Okay no. But seriously though, I've heard SKSs make a good truck gun. It kinda depends where you live though.

Shadow 7D
September 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
A number of people say Hipoint, if its stolen your not out alot of money, good customer service and lifetime warranty. I am looking for a cheap one (yeah funny) myself.

ByAnyMeans
September 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
I vote for a 12 gauge with 18.5 in barrel and extra 5 shot shell holder. If you know the areas your going to before hand and there are no restrictions then get it equipped for seven shots if not five will do.

I would look for a used Mossberg 88.

smallbore
September 6, 2009, 03:07 PM
pistol gripped 12ga w/light attached. . .

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
AK-47 Underfolder
or a
12 gauge coach gun

PandaBearBG
September 6, 2009, 04:49 PM
For a cheap-don't care too much if I lose it? Hi-point carbine, cuz noone really cares if you do lose it or bang it up or scratch it, or a 12 pistol grip mossy, cuz its short enough to maneuver in your car and its reliable as hell.

SalchaketJoe
September 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
If your carry weapon is a .357 I would suggest a Marlin 1894 carbine in .357 mag.

Ed Ames
September 6, 2009, 05:43 PM
If your budget is ...

$125ish ... single-shot 12ga or 20ga (H&R/NEF, etc)
$250ish ... pump 12ga
$500ish ... pistol-caliber lever gun

Deltaboy
September 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
If your budget is ...

$125ish ... single-shot 12ga or 20ga (H&R/NEF, etc)
$250ish ... pump 12ga
$500ish ... pistol-caliber lever gun

Ed covered it!

I have a Hi-Point 45.

Officers'Wife
September 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
I see a lot of the Universal 30 cal carbines for sale around here.

It's short enough to for 'car' use and with a 30 round magazine would have plenty of firepower.

DasFriek
September 6, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think i read the OP right,but this will mainly be a car/hotel gun.I cant say a rifle would be a good idea with thin walls surrounding you.
A smallish carbine in 9mm mabey.
I really think the best route is still a 12 guage or a full sized pistol 9mm-.45

SniperStraz
September 6, 2009, 08:02 PM
DasFriek beat me to it. I hardly think that a mosin is safe to fire in a small hotel room with other travelers around.
+1 on the 9mm carbine

browningguy
September 6, 2009, 08:47 PM
I carry a Keltec Sub 2000 with the Glock 19 magwell. With 4 x 33 round magazines and a 70 lumen light on the lower rail it fits nicely in a briefcase, and even leaves room for a sandwich.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/sub2000briefcase.jpg

HoosierQ
September 6, 2009, 09:01 PM
I think the OP is constrained on being legally able to have a handgun due to the vagaries of local law. Thus so many cheap shotgun suggestions.

jn1965
September 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
I love all the suggestions. The fact is if I travel through NY, NJ, and MD I cannot carry a pistol so any handgun is out. I like the 12 ga coach gun or the cut down mossy 88. In NY I believe I am also restricted to 5 shots, am I right?

I saw a decent SKS at Cabeleas on Friday, but it looked a bit long. Just for info, could one be fitted with a folding stock? The one I saw was a Chinese copy and the wood was nothing to write home about. I do have reservations about shooting one in a hotel though so I would probably stick with a 12 ga.

Keep the ideas flowing!

Thanks,
Joe

Jubjub
September 6, 2009, 10:20 PM
Given that the states you travel in are about the most unfriendly to guns in the country, it might be wise to stick to something as inoffensive looking as possible. The coach gun sounds like the best solution. If you carry it disassembled, it will fit in a bag the length of the barrels. Stoeger sells some decent guns for cheap. They even have a short barreled over and under that looks pretty interesting.

Ed Ames
September 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
I saw a decent SKS at Cabeleas on Friday, but it looked a bit long. Just for info, could one be fitted with a folding stock?

Yes, just read up on "922r" before doing so.

content
September 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // You may want used 12ga. but my cousin just got one of these mossbergs for same purpose you described.104911

You might also try 30 cal carbine with folding stock, for compact rifle. Although IMHO this is too much for the job. ( also might be rare find or high priced// I don't know )

Sounds like pump or semi-auto 12ga. with pistol grip is your best bet.

If you ever have need of an extra 12ga. for hunting or shooting clays you could even get combo gun. /// Comes with pistol grip /18.5 inch barrel and shoulder stock / 28 inch barrel. //// I used to have a mossberg 12 ga. in this set up but could not hit barn with long barrel. Sold it to a friend who loved 18.5 inch set up.

Paul82
September 6, 2009, 11:55 PM
I thought you needed CCW to carry a weapon with you were you went? I didnt think you could carry a rifle/shotgun in your car, I thought that was ILLGEAL.. ?? :confused::scrutiny:

Ed Ames
September 7, 2009, 12:37 AM
I thought you needed CCW to carry a weapon with you were you went? I didnt think you could carry a rifle/shotgun in your car, I thought that was ILLGEAL.. ??

Why? You know full well that laws vary from city to city, state to state, and country to country...just about everything is legal somewhere.

Different states have different laws. Some allow the carry of any legal weapon (handgun or rifle) anywhere (pocket, belt, car, house, business) without any special permission. Others require a license even to have a firearm in your own home.

BillyDa59
September 7, 2009, 03:48 AM
Some SKS's come with a folding stock. Or you may consider the Chinese paratrooper model. Really though I think the best idea for most indoor self-defense situations is a 12 ga. loaded up with 00 buckshot.

Noxx
September 7, 2009, 04:49 AM
Just wanted to second most of the shotgun suggestions I've seen. I'd choose a short coach or a "defender" type Moss / Remington. I don't think I'd go any lower than #4 or possibly #2 (I'm a big fan of #2 for SD) because in the situations you described, the ranges are going to be very SHORT, and overpenetration risks very HIGH. At three yards, it almost doesn't matter what's in it, it's going to stop somebody.

I would certainly rule out the Mosin. They are inexpensive and effective, but the penetration risks with a full house rifle round are like a bad Jeopardy question "This Russian rifle round will pass through eight hotel rooms before being ultimately stopped by a stainless shower head" "What is the 54 Russian Rimmed, Alex?". Especially a nice milsurp bi-metal. Eeek.

So yeah anyway. Shotgun.

22LRFan
September 7, 2009, 06:04 AM
Just tossing the idea out there...don't hate me. They do make 12 gauge bean bag rounds.

http://www.keepshooting.com/ammunition/speciality/bean-bag-round-shotgun.htm

I'm thinking from a legal standpoint, it may make you seem less vicious (if you're in Jersey or New York). Although I don't know if it would be as effective as buckshot, or if you could get sued by the robber/bad guy for any injuries received (crazier crap has happened).

CZ223
September 7, 2009, 08:39 AM
you mentioned are just about as anti-gun as they get. From what I know, and I have been to all three with guns, you might as well forget about folding stocks and high cap magazines. You will also have to check on pistol grip shotguns but, I would be willing to bet that they are illegal in at least one of those states. If not, then a mossberg persuader or, modified 870 might be just the ticket. If that won't work, a wood stocked 870 or mossberg would be my gun of choice. The coach gun is also a good idea.

Of the non shotgun ideas offered so far, I like Browning guys idea of the Kel-tec sub 2000 and, Officers wifes idea of the M1 carbine the best. I doubt that the Kel-Tec would fly in any of those states but it is still a good idea. The M1 just might work, but that is only a guess.

Now here is an off the wall idea but I actually know a guy who did this. Just because he did it doesn't mean it is a good idea. This guy lived in the NY NJ area for almost twenty years and, because of all the restrictions on handguns, he found what he believed to be a loophole and went with it. In most states, percussion capped guns are considered non-firearms. So he carried an 1858 Remington copy with 5 cylinders charged and capped in his glove box. A ruger old army would be a better choice in my opinion but it might work. Again, I am not saying it is a good idea.

FROGO207
September 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
From the standpoint of the OP the best would be a inexpensive 12 G double cut to the min legal length. choice #2 single 12 g able to be taken apart easily also cut. :) Mine's a double 20 g cut to min legal with kripton light made into foregrip under barrel.:D Use #1 buck with a 45 cal ball I custom loaded.:evil:

jn1965
September 7, 2009, 11:28 AM
I think it is legal to carry a long gun in the trunk in any of these states. I do have a Mossberg pump that is set up for skeet with a 28inch barrel that I can take to the range. I just want something that is easier to carry say in a duffle bag. I do not want to tear down the skeet gun and fit a pistol grip and short barrel each time I leave home. Also this is a excuse for a new gun :D

Hmmm, maybe I should buy a decent OU for the range and convert the Mossy...

I would love a nice M1 carbine, but they are too $$$ for this purpose.
How would a Winchester lever gun in .30 work as far as blowing through the walls of a hotel?
I know my TTC will go through the entire floor which is another reason to put it away...

BTW I kind of like the bean bag shots, but I would rather use rock salt if I was going to just kiss the BG and not put him down...

FROGO207
September 7, 2009, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a shopping trip is in order.

jakemccoy
September 7, 2009, 02:44 PM
Not knowing where you're traveling, I'll respond as if you're traveling through California...

A long gun is going to present obstacles in a hotel room, trying to keep it a secret from housekeeping, being discreet in all circumstances, etc. As I understand it, you want to be discreet at all times. That means during zero of the time you would like others to know you have a gun. If that is the case, then please take yourself out of the mentality of thinking like a gun owner in your view of guns. People who are anti-gun will be able to sniff semi-suspicious activity from a mile away. No, they won't think "it's cool" if it looks like you may have a gun.

Accordingly, I recommend a sub-compact handgun, like a Glock 27 or Glock 26. Meanwhile, know the laws of each state you will be visiting. Know when you must lock it up. In a pinch, you can easily lock a subcompact in a hotel room safe. You can't do so with a long gun. You can easily hide a subcompact gun when necessary, always trying to be legal of course. If you're traveling all over the place, then there is a high chance that you're going to be breaking the law at some point, even if you use your best efforts to stay within the law. If you stay out of the radar, then you get to pass through without getting thrown in jail.

I love all the suggestions. The fact is if I travel through NY, NJ, and MD I cannot carry a pistol so any handgun is out.

Thanks, you should have said that in your original post. Nevertheless, a long gun is going to present the obstacles that I mentioned above. Again, you're trying to stay out of the radar 100% of the time, not 99% of the time.

Anyway, educate me on the laws of the states you mentioned. How are you supposed to bring a pistol home after buying it if you cannot travel with a pistol?

22-rimfire
September 7, 2009, 03:15 PM
It is generally not legal to carry a long gun loaded in a car. You are not out on the ranch. But a SKS would be a good beater to keep in your trunk if you want a long gun.

I would suggest you stick to a handgun; Glock 19 or 23 or Smith 642.

winston smith
September 7, 2009, 05:42 PM
Loaded long gun may be illegal too. Better check.

el gato
September 7, 2009, 06:14 PM
Taurus .357 snub or a PT111

The_Shootist
September 7, 2009, 07:21 PM
Tokarov!

Deltaboy
September 7, 2009, 07:38 PM
Get a H&R Toppper and have a smith cut it to 18.5 install a Mod screw in choke load it with some #2/ BB Turkey loads in 3 inch Magnum. Get a duffle break it down wrap in a blanket and your good to go.

jn1965
September 7, 2009, 08:18 PM
Tokarov!
Got that already...
I am afraid of the 7.62x25 going through the entire floor of the hotel as well as the legality of having it in NY and NJ.

jn1965
September 7, 2009, 08:23 PM
Get a H&R Toppper and have a smith cut it to 18.5 install a Mod screw in choke load it with some #2/ BB Turkey loads in 3 inch Magnum. Get a duffle break it down wrap in a blanket and your good to go.
I am thinking a bag like a cheap folding beach chair comes in. You know a blue nylon bag. It looks long enough for a cut down shotgun or a lever action or even an SKS to fit into. Does anybody have experience with a lever action Winchester as a self defense gun? For a bit of background, I had a flat tire and while I was changing it I was jumped at knife point. If I had something besides the crappy aluminum hub cap in my hands things would have turned out differently. As far as housekeeping goes, I will take the thing out of the room each morning as I do the TTC and lock it in the trunk (Thanks DC laws)

Thanks for all the help so far. Is there a reason why I should go for a dbl barrel over a pump or semi auto shotgun for room defense?

I thought a 12ga pump would be better suited than something with only two rounds...

The Lone Haranguer
September 7, 2009, 08:35 PM
(whistle)

DasFriek
September 7, 2009, 08:43 PM
Im still voting 12 gauge thats short as possible,or a big can of bear mace.

bearmgc
September 7, 2009, 08:45 PM
Bersa mini 40.

browningguy
September 7, 2009, 08:55 PM
For those that don't know, this...

unfolds from the briefcase to become this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/kelteccamo2.jpg

I actually travel by car quite a lot. The idea of carrying my Mossy 500, SKS, AR etc. in and out of a hotel room is a non-starter. They are big and they are heavy, I have carried my SU16C when traveling in the car, but it requires a bigger bag to store it when moving in and out of a hotel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/su16c-11.jpg

sig40
September 7, 2009, 09:01 PM
How about a stun gun or some stun knuckles. I have the stun knuckles and they will definitely put someone down but you have to be able to reach out and touch them. My brother and I had to test them out on each other.:D Also I dont know if they are illegal in some states or not.

ccsniper
September 7, 2009, 09:02 PM
I am thinking a Hi point carbine in 9mm .40 should be small enough to fit inside a duffel bag. The gun is only 32 1/2" so an overly large duffel bag should fit it easily. and it being a long gun with only a 10 round mag should keep you outa trouble with the law in most states.

esq_stu
September 7, 2009, 09:03 PM
I got a spare plain barrel for my 1100 trap gun, and cut it down to legal length. I have taken it and both barrels when I traveled. It can go to the range or be used for protection in my motel room.

For those blue states, can you have any kind of gun???

elvis.alive
September 7, 2009, 09:08 PM
Interesting that you say bag for a chair. My uncle keeps his AR in a bag like that (unloaded) and it fits perfectly.

jn1965
September 7, 2009, 09:20 PM
For those that don't know, this...

unfolds from the briefcase to become this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/kelteccamo2.jpg

I actually travel by car quite a lot. The idea of carrying my Mossy 500, SKS, AR etc. in and out of a hotel room is a non-starter. They are big and they are heavy, I have carried my SU16C when traveling in the car, but it requires a bigger bag to store it when moving in and out of a hotel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/su16c-11.jpg
Me likee!

How much was that setup if you don't mind telling...

Joe

Invisible Swordsman
September 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
Except for the inexpensive part (I don't know what price range you want) the Kel Tec Sub 2000 shown above is what I was going to recommend. You should be able to get one for $350.00 or less. I think I paid $329 each for the 2 I have.

It shoots a pistol caliber cartridge (9 or 40) and they're sold with a ten round magazine, which should be legal in any state you're in. You can get higher capacity magazines for places where they're allowed.

9mm+
September 7, 2009, 09:38 PM
Mossberg 500. Short (w/ pistol grip only or stock folded), relatively cheap, reliable, easy to tote in car and to/from hotel.

DHart
April 27, 2010, 03:43 PM
This is my traveling long gun. In take-down it easily stashes under a car seat, in a small suitcase, backpack, whatever. Takes down in 2 seconds and re-assembles in 2 seconds. Reliable. Potent. Nice companion to sidearms when on the road.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/StoegerCoachGun.jpg

oneounceload
April 27, 2010, 03:47 PM
In a handgun, one of the used S&Ws that J&G is selling for around 200-250
In a shotgun, a pump in 12 will suffice

David E
April 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
I don't believe in "car" or "truck" guns......if that means the gun lives in the vehicle.

Guns, even cheap ones, can KILL. If my vehicle gets stolen or broken into, I don't want the thief to have any gun........especially if the gun is MINE.

My "car gun" is the one I specifically carry with me on a specific trip. When I get into the car, so does the gun. When I leave the car (like for the motel stay) so does the gun.

A good low-key gun for motel defense is a double barreled 12 or 20 guage Coach gun. These break down into small pieces allowing a low profile to and from the room.

I favor a handgun, perhaps backed up by a Mini-14 with folding stock in a tennis racket case.....but they do not live in the car !!!

CoRoMo
April 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
You don't believe in car/truck guns? I can assure you, they do exist.:)

But I believe guns don't kill people, people kill people. And when I have to make one of my weekly trips into a federal building, my EDC stays in the car/truck.

RevolvingGarbage
April 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=416057&pdesc=New_England_Arms_Parndner_Pump_12_Ga&r=view

Pardner Pump 12 gauge.

Cheap, reliable pump shotgun that wont mind sweating in a car while driving around. Uses M870 accesories, so a pistol grip would be easy to find/buy.

vynx
April 27, 2010, 04:55 PM
A lot of people suggest the single or double or O/U shotgun because they can be made very short.

And, they are very reliable.

If you cut the barrel down to 18.5" you can also shorten the stock just remember to keep it over 26" total.

The action on the break open shotgun is much shorter than the pump or semi-auto - these have another 4 or 5 inches behind the barrel chamber for the bolt to cycle shells.

Do you really think you will need more than 2 shots? And if so the double barrel re-loads pretty easily.

I favor the new short barrelled Over Unders but go with what feels good to you.

WardenWolf
April 27, 2010, 04:57 PM
AK underfolder. Enough said.

rideandcarry
April 27, 2010, 04:58 PM
see website http://www.impactguns.com/store/SER-SS12.html

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/ser_shorty_big.jpg

Serbu Super Shorty 9 12GA
Price: $699.99
Manufacturer: SERBU
Impact Item #: SER-SS12
Call for lead time.

The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg Cruiser 12-gauge shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! The gun holds two 2-3/4" or 3" (if you like pain) shells in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. The 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel and spring-loaded foregrip, which pivots out of the way when not in use, make for a very compact package.
If you like the idea of concealed carry with a 12-gauge, or like a lot of "bang" in a small package, or just like a lot of muzzle flash, then this is the gun for you.

(NOTE: Not available in CA and some other states. Federal background check required.)

dc.fireman
April 27, 2010, 05:02 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/dcfireman/BrowningM2HB.jpg

I've always considered this a good gun for shooting cars. Trucks too.
:D

rmfnla
April 27, 2010, 05:47 PM
I see a lot of the Universal 30 cal carbines for sale around here.

It's short enough to for 'car' use and with a 30 round magazine would have plenty of firepower.
YES!

Semi-auto, 30-round mags and SUPER penetration w/ FMJ!

I used to have one of the Paratrooper copies for my car; wish I'd never sold it!

CoRoMo
April 27, 2010, 06:18 PM
I prefer a sub-$300 price, stainless steel, .38 revolver for a dedicated truck/car gun. In the event that it is lost, stolen, or destroyed, I can't have a Serbu in that roll. Inexpensive, but not cheap. Stainless to help prevent corrosion. .38spl because I reload that. Revolver so that it will always be ready to go and I don't have to consider an unseated mag, empty chamber, etc.

Ala Dan
April 27, 2010, 07:55 PM
How 'bout a Stoeger "Double Defense" 12 gague; or Kel-Tec PLR-16;
not too mention their SU guns in 9m/m and .40 S&W~! The big factor
with the Su's, is that they fold up, and make for a neat package~! ;)

DHart
April 27, 2010, 07:55 PM
Here's the Stoeger Coach Gun in take-down. Push one lever and the forestock comes off, push the action lever and the barrel drops down and comes off. Two-seconds! Longest piece (the barrel) is 20".

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/CoachGun.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/CoachGunOpen.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/CoachGunTakenDown.jpg

This gun has had a little custom work done. The action is slicked up so it actuates very quickly and easily. The automatic "safety-on" mechanism is disabled so I can put the safety on or off as I wish... and reload without the safety coming back on automatically. This is the base model which didn't originally come with a butt pad, so I had one installed. Lastly, the chambers are polished so empty hulls fall right out with just a rearward jerk of the gun. I feel these tweaks are pretty much a "must-do" with the Coach gun, making it just right. Small price to pay to get the gun where it should be.

All I need now for it now is a small, discreet, 22" soft gun case:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/TACForceTTS22Case.jpg

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tac-force-t-t-s-22-soft-gun-case-s86001.html

Sgt_R
April 27, 2010, 07:56 PM
I carry a Keltec Sub 2000 with the Glock 19 magwell.

9mm Sub 2000 was my first thought. Easily portable, fits in a briefcase or backpack, and isn't a pistol. If magazine capacity is an issue in the locations you travel to/through, you could always stick to the 10 rounders.

R

David E
April 27, 2010, 09:07 PM
If magazine capacity is an issue in the locations you travel to/through, you could always stick to the 10 rounders.

Mag capacity IS an issue. That's why I go with the 33 rounders!

mnrivrat
April 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Many are two joined at the hip with the 12ga for SD , particularly in short and or light guns . What isn't going to stop when hit with a 20ga buckshot load ? Near twice the energy of a .357 magnum the #3 buckshot load of the 20ga. is plenty .

Advantage over the 12ga. - lighter, more compact, and easier to swing.

If I was going to war I would probaby choose the 12ga. , but for self defense the 20ga. is a better choice in my opinion. Youth model Remington 870, Mossberg 500 with the barrel removed (in take down mode) makes a short package and plenty effective for the OP's purpose. Perhaps more politicaly sellable in some of those anti states as well. 21" youth barrel is not a sawed off shotgun , not a sub machinegun looking thing, and hell - if I didn't make my point by now , no use babbling. :D

DHart
April 27, 2010, 11:13 PM
mnrivrat... I agree with you. A 20 ga. can be very effective as well. And a better choice for those wishing to reduce recoil. All of my shotguns are 12 ga. but I'm seriously considering a 20 ga. for just this purpose. That would make it easier for my wife to handle as well.

David E
April 28, 2010, 02:25 AM
One of the big problems with a 20 guage for personal defense is finding suitable defense ammo for it.

DHart
April 28, 2010, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing that it's best to find a good source online and order up a couple of cases of the good stuff. Finding such ammo locally can be impossible. But I've bought a lot of premium defense ammo online over the years.

mnrivrat
April 28, 2010, 03:43 AM
One of the big problems with a 20 guage for personal defense is finding suitable defense ammo for it.

Several manufacturers make the 2&3/4" #3 buckshot load. I consider that load suitable . If the local store doesn't carry them, there are on line sources.

Not the varity of loadings available for the 12ga. , but to me not a problem using that loading for HD. I do have a small supply of 3 inch #4 buckshot but I don't think they are making those any longer, and I don't keep anything but the #3 BS loading in my gun anyway, so for me ammo is not an issue.

crappie cowboy
April 28, 2010, 04:42 AM
Why are you worried about getting caught with a handgun in those states? They don't know you have it, it you are not bring attention to your self, speeding and etc, you shouldn't have no reason to be checked.
Just be very careful, don't tell no one, don't leave ammo laying out for someone to see.

Bonds Arms has a Derringer in 40 cal. s&w, stainless, and you can get it at Bud'sGunShop.com for $342.00. You could go all day with in your pants pocket and nobody would ever know.
It's a great little gun, I'd rather get caught with it, than need it and not have it, and get the sheet shot out of me, or worst.
Just do it and keep it to your self.

crappie cowboy

Sgt_R
April 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Why are you worried about getting caught with a handgun in those states? They don't know you have it, it you are not bring attention to your self, speeding and etc, you shouldn't have no reason to be checked.
Just be very careful, don't tell no one, don't leave ammo laying out for someone to see.

And what if you actually need to use it in a legitimate case of self defense? Instead of being the law abiding citizen who defended himself from attack, you become the vigilante who was carrying an illegal handgun and looking for trouble. It would be a shame to win the gunfight, only to go to jail over your choice of firearms.

R

rustysragsinc
April 28, 2010, 02:33 PM
I have a Stoeger Coach Gun I take with me on trips. It is fast and easy to put together and will put a nice hole through someone. Hope I never have to use it.

crappie cowboy
April 28, 2010, 11:32 PM
Sgt. R....I agree with you about it would be a shame for him to go to jail for using a gun to defend his self, that's my whole point......He would be alive, and he might get our of jail in a few years, and he would be alive.
So what do you think he should do to defend his self against a thug trying to kill him?...You know the guy trying to kill him has a gun, and don't give a rat's butt about having a illegal gun, he knows you don't
It is his right to defend him self, and it is also his right as an American citizen by our constitution to have a gun.
All of us know the Government has broken our Constitution laws about our guns being illegal. It's a sad thing that our great nation has come to this, and to think my country sent me as a teenager to Viet-Nam and fight, and now I can't have a gun....what evvvvver.
You can run and hide, be scared or stick your head in the sand or anything you like, but I will defend myself and my family at all cost to the bad guy. I fought and shed blood for my rights, and I will stand by them.
What is it gonna take for people to wake up and stand up for them self.....?

crappie cowboy

Ed Ames
April 29, 2010, 01:02 AM
That's all fine but the OP was pretty clear in wanting a long gun that could be discreetly carried while traveling because long guns offer fewer legal entanglements in some areas. And, now that I think about it, it's not so fine in that it only makes sense to challenge laws when doing so can result in some form of victory. Unless there is a strategic long term reason for being arrested for carrying the wrong type of gun for a particular area, it's counterproductive.

You could raise the point that in many jurisdictions it is perfectly fine to have a pistol in your hotel room even without the paperwork needed to take it to walmart. That's interesting and true... handguns are the ideal travel weapons in California for example because they can be taken to hotel rooms discreetly and long arms don't really gain any major special advantages over handguns in that state. However, for every state like California there are several like Texas where wandering down the street carrying a loaded rifle is legal while open carrying a peacemaker is a crime, and a few like New York where travel with firearms is always a risk.

I live in a state that is on the liberal end of what you can carry unlicensed...not quite so liberal as Arizona is now, but far more liberal than California. 99% of my traveling is in places where handguns are perfectly fine and are the obvious preferred choice for a host of reasons....but one of the factors I considered when I bought my lever gun is that it is legal to have in places where an AR or 1911 are not, and having a legal option is always good.

razorback2003
April 29, 2010, 01:49 AM
I would look at getting a nice clean used 12 or 20 gauge shotgun....your choice that you can easily remove the barrel off. Remington 870's pumps are very easy to pop the barrel off. With the barrel off, you can put the disassembled shotgun in a duffle bag and no one knows what you've got....pop the barrel on when you get in the hotel room...put your choice of load in it...whether it be a heavy BB goose load....00 buckshot for a 12...#3 or #4 for a 20 ...and you are set.....get that barrel cut down short. You can find some serviceable used pump remingtons at gun stores, the newspaper classifieds...pawn shops...gun shows....put a recoil pad on it too...even with the stock if you cut the barrel down to legal length you'll fit it in a duffle bag when you remove the barrel. A buddy might know someone that wants to sell a beater that you won't care about cutting the barrel down...again this won't be a pretty gun...this is a knock around gun.

That makes a good hotel gun to keep you safe in NY and New Jersey where you can't bring your pistol.

TheHossUSMC
April 29, 2010, 05:53 AM
http://www.serbu.com/top/super_shorty_870.jpg
Serbu super shorty. With the small one time fee of 5 dollars and a few months wait this shotgun can be yours to knock the heads off of BGs! You also get that nice ability of shotguns to use a large variety of shells. I recommend 00 Buckshot for cheap hooker style hotels for maximum penetration!

http://www.mouseguns.com/sub2000/takedown.gif
The Kel Tec Sub 2000 comes in 40s&w and 9mm. Folds in half for easy transport, and with a quick motion you can click into into place and be ready to fire. Cheap and effective and possibly use mags from pistols you already own.

And if you are feeling really frisky you could always screw the law and go with a Magpul FMG9
http://album.weaponevolution.com/SHOT/IMG_0749%201028%20WEVO.jpg
http://album.weaponevolution.com/SHOT/IMG_0751%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Daveboone
April 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
If you are worried about legalities (which of course you are)then the pistol is a moot point. The long gun is useless if it isnt loaded with a round chambered, and darn few states allow them in that condition in a vehicle. If they are in a bag, they wont help you any if you need to get to it.

Ed Ames
April 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
The long gun is useless if it isnt loaded with a round chambered, and darn few states allow them in that condition in a vehicle. If they are in a bag, they wont help you any if you need to get to it.

Without conceding those points: The OP was largely looking for something which could be discreetly taken into hotel rooms while traveling. "I am looking for something I can carry in the car and up to my room without drawing attention to myself." So state laws about loaded chambers in cars or ease of access from a bag are not as relevant here as they might be.

As for the points you raised: The time it takes to rack a shotgun, or pull it from an (already unlocked) case, reduce the chances it'll help you...but not as much as not having the gun does.

crappie cowboy
April 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
The way I was reading his post, was like he wanted a gun for the car also. The shotgun is a bad idea.. to long. A rifle is to long also, either he needs to stay out of those bs states, or break the law and get a handgun.
Almost all states have a law that the gun must not be loaded, and separate for ammo, and not within reach. Some states say one must be in the car trunk and the other inside the car.
So that pretty much leaves a person no option, but to break the law and carry a illegal loaded firearm.
Once again I say, I'd rather have a gun, than not have a gun and need it. I'm not a radical or vigilante, but when the law makes it impossible for me to defend my self and my family against thugs who prey on law abiding citizens, then I will do what has to be done to keep for being harmed.
The police will be to late to help the law abiding person who is unprotected from being beaten, robbed, or raped. When the gun smoke clears, I will be alive hopefully, and they can do what they have to do.....nuff said.

crappie cowboy

kbbailey
April 29, 2010, 11:20 PM
NEF/H&R Survivor

kbbailey
April 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
OOPS

H&R survivor .410/.45LC

devildog32713
April 29, 2010, 11:29 PM
crappie cowboy your a fine man, thank-you for your service, I would reccomend a .30 Carbine if you are willing to put out the money for it, a 9mm carbine for less, or a shotgun, sounds redundant, but I love my Mossberg 500 Persuader. Don't get me wrong, I love Mosin's, love mine, (named her Aleksandra) but she is much too powerful to use inside a hotel! I shot a pine 14-16 inches thick or so and the surplus russian round went clean through!! and into the next tree! think about what that would do to sheetrock, would hit the cook 4 rooms over. Would even say to use fragmenting rounds in the 9mm..

kbbailey
April 29, 2010, 11:35 PM
darn it ...last time, I promise...
H&R Survivor
Cheap, reliable, potent, breaks down small and quickly, .410 is hotel wall friendly.
I would feel pretty well armed anywhere with one of these. Esp in non handgun friendly cities, or Canada.
I reload both .410 and .45LC
I think I just talked myself into wanting one!! -crap, why do I always do that!

Wolvee
April 29, 2010, 11:38 PM
Glock20

Ed Ames
April 30, 2010, 12:09 AM
The way I was reading his post, was like he wanted a gun for the car also.

Could be...but to quote the original post:

... it will get tossed in the trunk in a bag, then dragged into hotels and hopefully never needed in defense.

So I'm thinking that the primary use is to HAVE in the car and to carry up to hotel rooms.

So I go back to my previous points.

razorback2003
May 1, 2010, 01:22 AM
CrappieCowboy,

Now back in Arkansas (I live in TN now) the nice thing is you can have a loaded long gun in the vehicle without any sort of permit or license. There are quite a few states where this is common. Texas is another such state. I know Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Florida, North and South Carolina, you can do the same thing. Kansas and Missouri they can be loaded too...just have to be unconcealed....I believe North Carolina they have to be unconcealed too. TN if you have a permit...the long gun can have the mag loaded...empty chamber....so depends on the state...but those states that allow you to have a loaded long gun in the car generally allow you to have a pistol in the car loaded too in some fashion...and also a pistol in your hotel room with no hassle...I highly doubt in New York or New Jersey it is legal for folks to have loaded long guns in vehicles...but a long gun in the hotel room in New York or New Jersey is better than no gun....another bit of advice and I'm not a lawyer...there are legal ways to take handguns to those states that are hard on handguns...like competition...if you are into IDPA...schedule going to an NRA 'sanctioned' match while in New York or New Jersey..then you can take your handgun...I believe New York has a little law about not being in New York longer than 4 days for matches though for non residents..and you must have a pistol license from your home state...check that more in detail...but there are legal ways to even bring handguns in NY, NJ, and MD...think shooting matches/range...easier done in NJ and MD than NY.

AuthorityDenied
December 11, 2010, 01:59 AM
Being a resident of NY let me clear some things up for you guys. Read that link. This is not a state to play a guessing game with firearms laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

and read the new york section here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good 'car gun'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!