Gun stories in the News

PDA

bryskee
September 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
Does anyone else think the increases of gun stories in the news is being used to provide fodder for anti-gun zealots so they can push new legislation soon??

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun stories in the News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9MMare
September 6, 2009, 12:37 PM
My thinking is that alot of the stories are related to the economy...males wiping out entire families, many who have lost their jobs. There just seem like more stories related to those stresses latesly.

The trend is very scary.

chuckusaret
September 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yes I do. This article appeared in the Miami area about concealed carry permit applications on the rise but the accompanying picture showed many assult style weapons and one hangun. IMO it sends the message that the state is approving assult style weapons for concealed carry. http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI128061/

dk148
September 6, 2009, 01:39 PM
Yes I do. This article appeared in the Miami area about concealed carry permit applications on the rise but the accompanying picture showed many assult style weapons and one hangun. IMO it sends the message that the state is approving assult style weapons for concealed carry. http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI128061

Typical, news media crap about guns.

myjudge45410
September 6, 2009, 02:03 PM
We have known for a long time that the news media uses lies to further the anti-gun agenda, even if they don't have the facts straight. Marion Hammer is a lady not a man as the news article states. They have a hard time checking facts because it maynot make the story anti-gun enough.

searcher451
September 6, 2009, 04:08 PM
1. This one seems to be more in line with off-target discussions than gun discussions.

2. This forum provides examples almost daily about news reports and stories from around the country that provide decent coverage of gun issues. The idea that all media outlets all the time are anti-gun and out to get us is misguided at best and ludicrous in the face of constant examples that defy such comments.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 6, 2009, 04:32 PM
What do you mean, lately? I'm 23 and for as long as I can remember the only guns in the news were bad stories. It's always been like that and probably always will be.

But wait! Don't break out your tin foil hat just yet. I think it's less of a mass media gun control conspiracy as it is just simple marketing. The news, in general, is almost always bad. Fear sells. And with the alphabet soup of news companies competing for airtime almost 24 hours a day, they have to publish the most grim, shocking, scary, controversial topics they can. Hence why you see so many murders and shootings and robberies and disease outbreaks (OMG OMG SWINE FLU OH NOES....I'm yet to meet 1 person with Swine Flu and there's a population of maybe 12 million people within 30 miles of where I live, maybe more)

Fear sells, and the easiest way to generate fear is to exaggerate stories. They don't just do it with guns. I mean sure, it wasn't just any gun used in the robbery, it was a 45 caliber semiautomatic handgun that was used. But they ham up everything like that.

And don't kid yourself, people on the "pro-gun" side. The republicans, gun dealers, groups like the NRA, conservative movements, etc. Love it when the left gets people all scared and they run out and make them lots of money panic buying guns and ammo and gas masks and underground PVC storage equipment. The right has been laughing their way to the bank for the last 11 months over the fear the left generated.

Rembrandt
September 6, 2009, 04:49 PM
This one says that "Space smells like gunpowder"......Since many think of heaven somewhere "out there"....many gunners will be pleased to know that heaven may smell like gunpowder.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090905/sc_space/spacesightsandsmellssurpriserookieastronauts

bryskee
September 7, 2009, 10:09 AM
how many does it take to be a "trend"

chuckusaret
September 7, 2009, 11:26 AM
When was the first and last time you read a news story about a "bad car" killing someone and all cars should be banned. Cars, cigarettes and booze each kill more people each year than guns. I have not read one gun news story this year where the writer did embellish the story with an untruth or make mention that guns should be banned.

The great messiah and the Hillary have on every ocassion intentionally told lies/untruths about guns. The biggest is "That 95% of all guns confiscated by the Mexican police are from America"

The following story disputes their facts and the 95% has also has been rebutted by the BATF, but the president and Hillary have continued to use the 95% in their anti gun comments.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/reviews/correction-please/1106

What a shame that the American people can not rely on our president and his staff to tell the truth but to lie to further their agenda.

Ky Larry
September 7, 2009, 12:58 PM
So, what else is new? I remember Dan Blather's 1976 P.O.S. called "The Guns of Autumn." All the news media is interested in is sales and rating. If the truth gets lost along the way, well ,T.S.

Justin
September 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
They have a hard time checking facts because it maynot make the story anti-gun enough.

Or it could be that the extremely short turnaround time in the news industry means that it's extremely easy for mistakes to make it to the final print publication.

Not everything is some sort of conspiracy.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 7, 2009, 01:07 PM
Or it could be that the extremely short turnaround time in the news industry means that it's extremely easy for mistakes to make it to the final print publication.

Not everything is some sort of conspiracy.

EXACTLY. And not only are the stations competing against themselves, but the internet is killing them too. When something happens they need to report it FAST or they lose ratings/money. For example, when the plane crashed into the Hudson River, it was reported by some average joe on Twitter in 11 seconds. 11 seconds. Clark kent didn't get the Daily Bugle news that fast!

FROGO207
September 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
Is it just me or does ABC seem the most anti gun network of the big 3? It seems national as well as local IMO.:confused:

green country shooter
September 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
There are a lot of murders with firearms in this country, and a lot of suicides. It doesn't take manipulation of the facts or a conspiracy for the media to play those up. It makes ratings.

9mm+
September 8, 2009, 03:26 PM
While the economy is certainly a catalyst for depression and negative feelings, I don't suspect that there are any more gun-related incidents now than in years past. What is different, however, is the method of communicating them. The Internet, for all of its infallible merits, has one significant shortcoming: it creates skewed perspectives. Gun crimes decades ago did occur, of course, but were not reported over the wire to all corners of the globe (unless they were particularly gruesome or macabre). A family massacre may have made the local or even state news, but it was highly unlikely that it received national or international attention.

Nowadays, the cost of news transmission has fallen to the cellar and literally anything can be transmitted over the world with a few keystrokes. The result has been an unfounded fear and paranoia that this is happening EVERYWHERE. It's not, of course, but the perception is there nonetheless. And since the old adage of "if it bleeds, it leads" always applies, the antis come out ahead. Afterall, when is the last time you heard the winner of a Camp Perry competition being mentioned on CNN.com?

Ky Larry
September 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
Also, the media only reports the negative stories. If a gangbanger kills 4 people in a botched stickup, it makes the news. If a store owner uses a gun to chase away a robber, the media will usually not report it. If an airplane takes off in New York and arrives safely in San Francisco, no one hears about it. If the plane crashes and kill 250 people, it will be all over the news.

chuckusaret
September 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
EXACTLY. And not only are the stations competing against themselves, but the internet is killing them too. When something happens they need to report it FAST or they lose ratings/money. For example, when the plane crashed into the Hudson River, it was reported by some average joe on Twitter in 11 seconds. 11 seconds. Clark kent didn't get the Daily Bugle news that fast!

Yes, and he reported true fact, and did not add his opinion or embellish any part of the accident.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun stories in the News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!