Formula for reduced distance targets?

PDA

DMK
September 6, 2009, 03:25 PM
Here's a question for you guys good at math. Is there a formula to figure the distance for a reduced size target?

For example, say I have a silhouette target that measures 9" high and portrays a rough human shape from the hips up. If a full size human measures roughly 3 feet from the hips up, what distance would that simulate if I placed the target at 25, 50 or 100 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "Formula for reduced distance targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
September 6, 2009, 04:03 PM
That 9" target at 25yrds, would be the same as shooting the life size at 100yrds. So X4 any distance you shoot at the reduced target, for fullsize distance;)

rtn
September 6, 2009, 04:09 PM
The visual angle of an object 9" in diameter is .573 @ 25 yards, .286 degrees @ 50 yards and .143 degrees @ 100 yards.

At 25 yards, your target appears to be the same size as a "human" 36" target @ 100 yards. At 50 yards, your target appears to be the same size as the human from 200 yards, and at 100 yards your target appears to be the same as a human target from 400 yards.

DMK
September 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
Awesome! I knew I should have paid more attention in my math classes. Thanks guys

Hud
September 6, 2009, 04:54 PM
DMK,

Try these. We use them for 4 position shooting in our rimfire matches.

DMK
September 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks HUD. I actually already have a few sets like that for 25y and 50y, plus some that I drew myself, patterned after the targets that used to be at IronSightAction.com The Appleseed folks have some cool targets like these as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Formula for reduced distance targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!