Hi point guns

PDA

Younggunner
September 6, 2009, 06:00 PM
Are these guns of great quality or not? I see that they are ugly but are they also functional? I'd like to hear from some hi point owners about the carbines and pistols.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi point guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zombienerd
September 6, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't own one, but I've never heard a bad word except that they're ugly.

Lifetime warranty, even if you bought it used.

Accurate enough for a truck gun/back up/toss around gun.

Can't beat the price.

kmcintosh78
September 6, 2009, 06:08 PM
I love my 9mm Hi Point Carbine. The pistols are made in an in-expensive manner. The barrel is not floated, but mounted to the base of the gun. I don't like it, but from what I am told, they go boom every time, are not expensive and are as accurate as the shooter.

Check out the Hi Point Forums.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com

www.hipointtalk.com

Enjoy.

rondog
September 6, 2009, 06:14 PM
Oh man, this has been beat to death ad infinitum. Go to ANY gun forum and do a search, you'll find the same info. Lovers and haters. Pistols are great, pistols suck. Pistols fail and are unreliable, pistols are very reliable and very accurate. All agree the pistols are too heavy to carry for CCW, and all agree they're ugly as sin.

The carbines, generally have a very loyal following. I have a 995 and a 4095. Both are OUTSTANDING fun to shoot, very accurate and reliable. Also ugly as sin. I don't know that I'd want to carry one in combat, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one for home or self-defense use. Major complaint about the carbines is the 10-round only mags. And sometimes the mags need a little feed-lip tuning to run better.

But ALL H-P guns are made in the USA, and all have a full life-time warranty, regardless of who owns it. There's been stories of brokens H-P's found in dumpsters, sent in for repair, and replaced with brand-new guns.

Bottom line, they're fun weapons that won't break your bank account. Not very pretty, but if they break they're warrantied. I'd highly recommend a carbine.

Deltaboy
September 6, 2009, 06:20 PM
I agree with Rondog use search.

mesinge2
September 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
Used a friend's in 9mm. It was big, impossible to carry, ugly as sin, but it went bang every time.

Mooseman
September 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have one of the 45 models, overall I like it.

good: USA made, great warranty, reliable, inexpensive, decent sights

Bad: Construction is a bit crude, very top heavy, low capacity for it size, difficult to conceal, grips are too smooth, mag release easy to hit accidentally for some folks, take down for detail cleaning is difficult, little aftermarket support.

Ugly: pretty much everything about this gun:D

After all is said and done I have no regrets about buying this gun and wouldn't hesitate to get another. I'm glad it's not my only gun though.

conw
September 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
The Carbine is the only rifle I own, and fills the home-defense, fun/target/plinking, and woods gun roles great. It is dead reliable (way over 1000 rounds through it) and easy to shoot/operate, even for new shooters. It is really accurate to 50 yards, past which point wind can really disrupt accuracy...BUT you can still hit big targets out to maybe 100 consistently. I use a red dot sight because it's a bedside gun for me.

I can see someone buying the handgun for a so-called truck gun, a survival kit gun, or just for the heck of it. But I doubt it would make a good carry gun for a number of reasons. Plus, for $100 more you could get a much nicer used handgun.

With the rifle, you can't get anything comparable (except maybe the Sub2000 from Keltec, which doesn't feel as good to me) for under $500. With the handgun, better options are pretty closely priced.

EHL
September 6, 2009, 09:27 PM
In a word: UGLY!:barf:

But they have a great warranty!;)

tju1973
September 6, 2009, 09:28 PM
Likse some have said, they are sort of ugly, very heavy, and to me they are not good CCL guns--that being said, I Have owned the C9, 995B, and CF 380 (2)--

Sold the C9 cause I needed $150 (I paid $110), one CF380 got stolen from my truck, and still have the other 2. Besides the CF380 being expensive to shoot, and its the same gun virtually as the C9, I love it as a truck/boat gun-- the 99b is Planet of the Apes-ish, but it is a great shooter at 100yds and less...

All went bang and had probably 3 issues ever in the 4 I had/have total.

YMMV....

They are ugly, but functional.

Big_E
September 6, 2009, 10:00 PM
I don't own one yet, due to CA laws and sich. But I did have a chance to meet the owner of Hi Point and he is a great guy and will back up his product no matter what. Oh and picks up the check at dinner (unfortunately I didn't go)

ThrottleJockey72
September 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
I can't wait to get one! 9mm handgun and carbine. The only 9s I'll ever own.

mnrivrat
September 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have owned a Hi-Point 9mm Carbine and I think they are well worth the money charged for them, and as far as I am concerned, they are more accurate, and more reliable than most would expect.

I also owned a Beretta Storm carbine - I would rather have three of the Hi-Points .

mustang_steve
September 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
Massive, heavy, ugly, reliable, cheap.

Sums it up well. Hi-points are good vehicle/home defense pistols. I would never try to CC one due to it's sheer size and weight.

You need to see one in person to understand how truly huge it is. I was reminded of how big they are once again when I saw a .45cal one at a gun&pawn last week. It made the govt 1911s look small in comparison (and I find those way too big for my tastes).

I've shot a few, I think they're nice guns as far as performance go....they are straight shooters, I'll give em that.

ezypikns
September 7, 2009, 01:31 AM
The only comments being made are by people who own or have first hand knowledge of thse pistols.

Usually the people knocking them have no experience with them at all.

My first center fire pistol was a Hi Point. A 9mm. It was capable of decent accuracy and 100% reliable.

It was an ugly rascal, though.

conw
September 7, 2009, 02:11 AM
To the original poster:

Are you the same guy who was considering an M1 Carbine or Garand to round out your shotgun and bolt action .270? If so, I believe I suggested a HP Carbine in that thread for you, and I stand by that recommendation for a young shooter. The maintenance of the gun is really easy since nothing ever goes wrong with it, free warranty work for your entire life, easy cleaning...

It will give you something you don't have (essentially a mid-range do-everything rifle) for cheap. Go for it. You can always get a 9mm handgun later to match it :)

ccsniper
September 7, 2009, 02:22 AM
I got mine for 50 bucks at a yard sale (JC .40). mine was made before adding any polymer so the thing is HEAVY but it is still the most reliable handgun I have. They make perfect home defense guns because they WILL go bang everytime you pull the trigger are only accurate to 15 feet (mine shoots pie plates up to that point after that your lucky to hit it 3 out of 10) but all in all I will never get rid of this gun because it was my first centerfire pistol and I absolutely love it

FROGO207
September 7, 2009, 12:24 PM
I own both the CF380 and the 9MM pistol. They are reasonably accurate reliable and not particularly pretty. You cant beat the price and guarantee. They are made in the US. I didn't know if I wanted to get a 9MM pistol so the most inexpensive was HI Point. Have a couple other 9MM'S now also but it makes a perfect truck gun. Whats not to like about this brand for the price? I mat even upgrade to a HI Point 45 for a truck gun.:D

Marlin 45 carbine
September 7, 2009, 12:50 PM
I don't own but saw both a carbine and pistol in 9mm at the range. they went bang every time and the fella with the carbine ran 100 rounds through. He let me look over the carbine as I'm interested in one for a nephew to buy. a minus was the 10 rd mag and the rough appearance but it sure seems sturdy in design.

mustang_steve
September 7, 2009, 12:55 PM
Something I just realized, it may be i realized it yesterday and the caffeine kick from the mountain dew is making me feel like it's news...I dunno.

Either way, I think perhaps why these value guns perform so well is that the quality of firearms in general is reaching that point where we have the alloys, the production equipment, the processes and the engineering to produce very functional arms at a very low price. Thus the costs we are incurring in a higher priced firearm is due to fit, finish and features. There may be mechanical upgrades as well, but will those improvments matter at 30ft or less?

At the end of the day....we need to realize there are firearms made for niche markets. Then also realize that while other devices will fit into that category, those devices may exceed what's required for the purpsoe. In other words, using a pricey premium 1911 model when an old Norinco would do the exact same job is kinda wasteful....the home defender on a budget would seek something that costs 1/4 the price and performs about as well in most cases. After all, not everyone can or should be expected to afford a $500 firearm.

Younggunner
September 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.and conwict yes I'm still the same guy.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 7, 2009, 01:06 PM
Either way, I think perhaps why these value guns perform so well is that the quality of firearms in general is reaching that point where we have the alloys, the production equipment, the processes and the engineering to produce very functional arms at a very low price
Or it could be they use a simple blowback operation instead of fussing with all that fancy locked breech nonsense other pistols use just to jack up the price. There is a reason those slides have to be so heavy. :rolleyes:

Justin
September 7, 2009, 01:12 PM
Either way, I think perhaps why these value guns perform so well is that the quality of firearms in general is reaching that point where we have the alloys, the production equipment, the processes and the engineering to produce very functional arms at a very low price.

That's the entire point behing the hi-point guns. They're firearms made from the most inexpensive materials using the simplest operating system (straight blowback), and they come off an assembly line that's designed to save money. For instance, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the finish on the guns is baked on in an old oven, rather than something designed to do industrial-level heat treatment.

Ed Ames
September 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
You don't really want your finish baking process to heat treat your metal. Paint baking ovens (and I own one) are hardly any different from household ovens, so good for them.

I go back and forth with these things. I'm talking specifically about the handguns (don't know much about the rifles). If I was going to seal up guns in caches on public land or the like I think they would have some appeal. I'm not.

If I was so broke that $150 for a .45ACP pistol was all I could afford... I would go to the ammo counter, realize that .45ACP is running $25 per 50 right now, and realize that I couldn't afford it after all. I would then go get myself a single-shot shotgun for $100ish because 12 or 20ga practice ammo is still running under $25/100 and that one gun would allow me home defense (not great, but better than nothing) and maybe food gathering too if I could make it out of the city and learn to hunt. I could actually take it shooting three times and still be out of pocket less than the Hi Point would cost me without any ammo.

I don't know... as a glove box gun for a state that doesn't freak out about guns in cars... again, it's a maybe. But by the time I had 300 rounds through it, I would've paid more for the ammo than the gun. How much savings is that really?

DougDubya
September 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
I just had an epiphany about the Hi-Point: I look at Hi-Point as the Sten gun of handguns.

Yeah, the Americans didn't have much use for the Sten (and there was prejudice against our own M-3 "Grease Gun"), but it was there, and it filled hands when necessary.

gopguy
September 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
Check before you load...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5i_2zHqkBs

tigeroldlone
September 7, 2009, 03:21 PM
My brother has one of the 995 carbine and it shoot great. I have been thinking of geting one for myself. A firend of mine bought one of the pistols in 45 acp, I thought it was unbalanced/top heavy as could be.

mesinge2
September 7, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have read threads on smith, taurus, ruger, kimber, springfield, etc. and there have always been a few nay-sayers that had a horrible time and hated the product.

This is such a positive thread that I am going to get one in 45.

DougDubya
September 7, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have read threads on smith, taurus, ruger, kimber, springfield, etc. and there have always been a few nay-sayers that had a horrible time and hated the product.

This is such a positive thread that I am going to get one in 45.
Baby Vulcan is smiling somewhere.

rugerman07
September 7, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Point uses cheaper (low cost) materials in the non-stress areas of their firearms, this is what keeps their costs down. Yes, the pistols are big and bulky. A lot of folks think they are ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hi Point Pistols Fact: They require a break in period for reliability, 100 to 200 rounds. Mine is super reliable after I fired about 150 rounds. Accuracy is just as good as many other high dollar semi autos I've owned or shot. Hi Point Carbine Fact: This little 16 1/2 barreled 9mm carbine is probably one of the best buys on the firearms market today. I bought a used one about 2 years ago for $150.00 and liked it so much I bought another one (new) for $219.00. It is dead-on accurate at 50 yards and you could easily dispatch a critter (coyote size) out to 100 yards. Another thing about this little carbine I like is........It's really a fun gun to shoot!

mesinge2
September 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi points new carbine stock

The new prototype tactical stock has not been released yet. A few have been sent out for evaluation. It will fit the 995’s, 4095’s, and will be on their new 4595. It will be on their website as soon as it becomes available at http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net.

indie
September 7, 2009, 08:03 PM
I had one before (995 carbine), and Im definitely getting another one now that the new TS stock is out. I think its one of the best buys in firearms. It will be the backup HD gun behind my ruger p90.

mesinge2
September 7, 2009, 08:51 PM
Second pic would not load sorry

chris in va
September 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
I bought a used carbine at a gun show 4 years ago. The receiver was completely ground down from lack of maintenance/lubrication, so I sent it back to HiPoint.

Got it back, shot it for a few months...safety snapped off. Sent it back again.

Two weeks later it came in and I took it to the range. Unfortunately it wouldn't get through a mag without a jam, found out the barrel wasn't lined up properly with the receiver. :banghead:

Sent it in a third time.

Initial cost...$120. Added shipping expenses...$150. 8 extra mags "for my trouble"...priceless.

PS I fondled the 'new' carbine at a gun show, wasn't impressed with the stock in the least. Much less comfortable than the original which I think is just fine ergonomically.

The Lone Haranguer
September 7, 2009, 09:51 PM
I am fortunate enough to not have to do this, but if my defensive handguns were lost or stolen tomorrow and I needed a replacement right away but I only had $186, would I buy a Hi-Point .45? You bet. I once paid over five times that much for a gun that still wouldn't function.

BTW, I handled one at a gun show. "Top heavy" is an understatement. :p

CajunBass
September 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm going to be the only one who says I don't think they're all that bad looking. At least not the .380/9mm one. They don't really look a lot different than a lot of other black semi-autos. (The 40/45 do have that cordless drill look though, I gotta admit.) I think they look like serious business.

I've got a 9mm. I've detailed a few dozen times how well it works. I won't do it again, I'll just say it works a lot better than I expected a $130.00 gun to work. I'd trust my life, or my wife's life to it in a heartbeat.

conw
September 8, 2009, 03:45 AM
The new carbine design, IMO, is an example of fixing something that isn't broken. Obviously lots of people care more about how the gun looks than how it shoots. So HP is meeting market demand.

Personally I'd love wooden furniture for it, but seriously, there was nothing wrong with the old style. I didn't buy the aftermarket ATI stock for looks, and I seriously doubt that with a whole new concept the mother company will improve in their original design.

However, more power to them if they sell more...I just hope they keep the old one available.

rondog
September 8, 2009, 04:25 AM
Oh hell, I might as well put this up again. This is my first target shooting my brand-new 4095 carbine. 50 rounds, right out of the box, no adjusting the sights or anything. Just reload the mag and blast away. I bought the carbine and a box of ammo, and went to the range to see what it would do. This is the results. 10 or 15 yards, I can't remember. Standing freehanded, no sandbags or rests.

Oh, I DID stick a tiny piece of masking tape on the front sight blade so I could see it better. Black sights against a black target, in an indoor range, etc. It has a red-dot sight on it now, and it's even more deadly.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DSCN1764.jpg

Satch
September 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
I've had one for 2 years and never a misfire, misfeed, or fail to extract. Sent it in for repair for bent firing pin,turn around was 7 days, they also repaced the trigger and the plactic trigger is smoother than some of my other guns.
Just fun for shooting.

Hokkmike
September 8, 2009, 11:11 AM
Shot with a guy who had one this weekend. Looked like an aluminum "space gun" - (cheap - cheap -cheap) - but it functioned flawlessly and has a life-time warranty. My Walther, on the other hand, has a year long limited warranty and had one FTE. But, it is brand new.

(no, I wouldn't trade)

VanBurne01
September 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
I own a Hi-point .40 S&W pistol, sorry to say I regret the purchase.
Please save up and buy a quality gun from Colt, S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Glock or even a Kimber if you can afford it.

You'll never regret the better quality, and any one of them will last you the rest of your life.

c5_nc
September 8, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've had multiples of the 9mm carbines, and 9mm and 380 pistols. Same option as everyone else here as far as they work, great company and warranty, reliable, and really ugly. I Did (within the last month) sell my carbines. For the price I got and a deal on Keltec Sub2000s it was only a ~$70 upgrade for me ($299-$250, but $38 in transfer/shipping) and I have a more compact gun that takes 32rd Glock Mags. I will try to find another deal on a carbine b/c I have 4 mags left over. I think I'm going to dump the pistols soon also, they always work, but never make it to range with me (have many others) and they don't need to be one in each car anymore b/c I have a CCW now. If you would rather have a cheap pistol, tokarevs are really cool for around $200 and fire a round that offers crazy penetration and costs $109/1280rd tin. Value is relative term, they are great when you can't afford anything else, or need to build a stockpile quick, but maybe not the best value for what you get when other things are considered. Its refreshing to see a positive thread on them.

ilbob
September 8, 2009, 02:13 PM
I bought one in 45acp. Big ugly thing that works pretty good.

DougDubya
September 8, 2009, 02:53 PM
I own a Hi-point .40 S&W pistol, sorry to say I regret the purchase.
Please save up and buy a quality gun from Colt, S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Glock or even a Kimber if you can afford it.

You'll never regret the better quality, and any one of them will last you the rest of your life.
.40 caliber - that's your problem right there.

The Hi-Point slide and blowback operation can only handle so much pressure, and the .40 has dramatically higher pressures than the 9mm or the .45 auto. Even the early Glock 22's and 23's had problems with the cartridge.

Plus, I hate any .40. The .380, .45 and 9mm Hi-Point fans have plenty of good to say about their guns.

mcdonl
September 8, 2009, 03:34 PM
Love the carbine... like the C9...

CoRoMo
September 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
If I thought I could get the $80 back, that I bought my C9 for, I'd probably still keep the gun. It'll make a good training pistol for my kids, since it functions fine. Just ugly, bulky, and low capacity.

mcdonl
September 8, 2009, 05:11 PM
CoRoMo - The C9 also is a good gun to teach the pitfalls of limp wristing. If you limp wrist you will get FTF/FTE's.

ByAnyMeans
September 8, 2009, 05:15 PM
I am thinking of picking up one in .45 to have as a bang around range gun. I have most of my pistols in 9mm, just what I shoot best. These are good enough though to tag along when I also take out the 1911. Let my friends and others shoot the snot out of it while keeping the 1911 nice.

I'm thinking of two toning the slide with Gunkote and maybe stippling the grip or something. A little personalization to it, but it will still be just a big, heavy, ugly range toy.

CoRoMo
September 8, 2009, 06:11 PM
CoRoMo - The C9 also is a good gun to teach the pitfalls of limp wristing. If you limp wrist you will get FTF/FTE's.

Preach on brother! My C9 is the worst at limp wristing. It'll jam everytime, if my wife isn't paying attention. None of my other pistols seem to be as sensitive to that, but you're right, you'll learn to keep those wrists locked shooting the C9!

PT1911
September 8, 2009, 06:17 PM
who doesnt need 37 hi-point mags?

rondog
September 8, 2009, 07:29 PM
It's all a matter of perspective too. If a person "wants a gun" but can't really afford a "good quality" gun, and ends up with a High Point because that's what he can afford, then he's not likely to be impressed. Likewise, folks that are very familiar with high-end guns typically can't stand the thought of soiling their hands with one of those High Point abominations.

But if you have the right attitude, that you just want a fun gun, an extra gun, a toolbox/tackle box/glove box/sock drawer gun, something to just go blast cans with, then you'll probably be tickled with a High Point.

Gun snobs that just HAVE to have the finest weapons money can buy, or the Tacticool types that just MUST be prepared for mortal combat with maruading hordes of ninjas at all times, they probably won't rate 'em very high. When you're decked out in your finest combat duds, and you have High Points hanging out of your thigh holsters, your homies are gonna laugh at you.

danbrew
September 8, 2009, 08:26 PM
Most awesome 9mm in. the. world.

http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=15565

trigun87
September 8, 2009, 08:30 PM
ROFL

JTH
September 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm sure many would agrue that point with you. Just because of all the upgrades, still doesn't change that it's a Hi-Point. It's just and entry level 9mm pistol. Maybe you know something I don't, so don't get me wrong, my statement is only my opinion and I could be wrong. I do have the Hi-Point 9mm carbine and I doubt you could turn it into an equivilant w/upgrades to a Colt AR15. I'd like to have a Colt AR 15 but give me a 3 AK's or what else I could purchase with the money.No insult intended IMO!
JTEX

el gato
September 8, 2009, 08:38 PM
You get what you pay for, What is your life worth?

Ed Ames
September 8, 2009, 08:50 PM
sigh...

It isn't a matter of getting what you pay for. with hi points you are paying for function. If they tried to make it look like a wilson combat 1911 at hi point prices the "get what you pay for" saying would come into play.

JTH
September 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Never thought Hi-Point weapons would get so many comments. From my readings, I'd go for the carbines but have to pass on the pistol. I was lucky to get a new Norinco T33 in the early 90's for $110 with a nice carrying case. Since I don't make big bucks, I'm lucky to have my best friend from high school that does make big bucks and is really into guns, so I get some presents every now and then, which has enabled my to round out my collection. Which covers just about every situation. Would like a 1911 .45 but I'll pass on the Hi-Point Pistols. My 9mm carbine is butt ugly, but it works for my needs and I have my Remington 870 Police Riot Shotgun that was a present for home defense.
JTEX
Norinco 9mm, Norinco SKS, Mac 90, Remington 870 Police Riot Shotgun, Hi-Point 9mm Carbine, Winchester 72(my favorite from my late father, Xmas present when I was 13). Plenty of ammo purchased while it was cheap 10 years ago.

junkman6970
September 8, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've own a 9mm and only had 1 problem with firing pin too weak, but was sent one in a week. I still like shooting mine

sig87
September 9, 2009, 12:08 AM
They are good guns. I don't Owen one, although I do know some people who do. They are ok they jam some. They would work better then a rock. In that price range Phinax and cobra are good guns

ThePunisher'sArmory
September 9, 2009, 12:15 AM
A friend of mine has one in 9mm and has a fail to feed about every time he shoots it. Then again he is not a firm believer in gun cleanliness. im sure if you keep them clean they are not bad but i would never bet my life on one. I plan on getting a 9mm carbine and getting the ATI stock for it, so its not so, well ugly. ;->

sarduy
September 9, 2009, 01:32 AM
most awesome 9mm in. The. World.

http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=15565

lmfao!

sarduy
September 9, 2009, 01:38 AM
as a owner of two hi points, a pistol and a carbine, i can tell you that if you find them sexy enough to get it by all mean get them because they are very very reliable. and BTW, they aren't that ugly.

http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/22024/2239740850095461090S425x425Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2239740850095461090nzPpMK)

http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/30677/2962691780095461090S425x425Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2962691780095461090cdDPMD)

trigun87
September 9, 2009, 03:04 AM
I had a .45 hi point and was honestly kinda mad after I sold it. Despite all the HATE they recieve mine never jammed.

You now what I have come to realize, that in a true life or death situation I dont care what a gun looks like as long as it goes bang; I even doubt if I will be concerned with the weight either. I may get a hi point this weekend if i can find a 9mm under $170. As stated earlier good car/ home defense.

geolemer
September 9, 2009, 03:12 AM
I plan on buying a 4095 if I can ever find one in Indiana there geting hard to find around hear. Buy one and you can shoot it forever.

conw
September 9, 2009, 03:33 AM

More than any gun costs, that's for sure. Are you trying to sell me a gun that's worth as much as my life is? That sounds like a rip-off.

trigun87
September 9, 2009, 03:45 AM

Thats funny because when I was buying my first gun thats what the Salesman said. I quietly said to myself "if your are so concerned with peoples lives then why sell a product you dont believe will work or you think will not fire"?
Hhhhmm not the first gun guy to tell me that life and value speech. They dont place non edible food in your local grocery store. That would be bad for business.

rondog
September 9, 2009, 03:52 AM
double post

rondog
September 9, 2009, 03:53 AM

There we go...the gun snobbery and combat comments, rolled into one! Just what is wrong with buying a inexpensive gun just to have FUN with? Why does every gun have to be either a top-shelf lifesaver or garbage? What's wrong with buying an affordable can shooter, just for the JOY of shooting cans? I prefer mine full of water, thank you.

Here, taste the KoolAid.....it's ain't pretty, but it's mighty sweet!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DSCN1765.jpg

mcdonl
September 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thats a pretty gun.

danbrew
September 9, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool looking. Do they make a model for boys?

snicker... just kidding. man, you're right, we can be such gun snobs. While I can't say much about highpoints, I've had more S&W $1000 revolvers fail to fire than I have highpoints fail to fire. Go figure.

mcdonl
September 9, 2009, 09:39 AM
Do they make a model for boys?

Nope, just men. (snicker....)

mustang_steve
September 9, 2009, 01:47 PM
OK that pic of the rifle just caught my eye. Is that a pistol with a huge barrel in rifle's clothing?

It looks like I'm staring at one of their slide assemblies through that ejection port. Not dissing anyone's guns....it just strikes me as odd, and I like knowing more about odd things :)

Meltdown
September 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
One of my co-workers has a Hi-Point in .45ACP. We went to the range together to do some target shooting. While there plinking away with my Beretta 92fs he offered to let me fire it.

1st, it's huge. 2nd, it's heavy. 3rd, it's butt ugly.

Having said that, I pulled the trigger and it went bang every time I did so. Overall I was not impressed, but it does pale in comparison to my own .45 (an EAA Witness Match). However, for the price it's not a bad gun...but you do get what you pay for. For me persoanlly, I'd rather find a quality used gun than a new Hi-Point. Your mileage may vary.

UniversalFrost
September 9, 2009, 05:51 PM
my little brother has had one of their 9mm carbines for about 3 years now and goes through a few hundred rounds a month. He has not had any problems and it shoots fine. not the prettiest but functional and they have a good warranty and customer support from what i have read on this and other forums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi point guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!