old ar barrels

PDA

mm1ut1
September 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
Getting a new barrel for my ar-15 as accuracy has dropped off from under 1moa to 2.5moa which won't cut it for HP rifle. What can you do with an old barrel? It's a heavy match barrel so could it be relined or bored out? Or just use it for tomato stake?

If you enjoyed reading about "old ar barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Riss
September 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
I could make a dedicated 22 lr barrel out of it if you want. I could use one. Or a rebore and reline. Could also use it to cut and use for a M-16 upper, shorty.

rcmodel
September 6, 2009, 06:04 PM
Not many things you can re-line it too.

Relining is pretty much limited to low - medium power handgun & rifle calibers like the 32-20, 44-40, old black powder calibers, etc.

Too much pressure to safely reline a centerfire .223 barrel.

rc

Ratshooter
September 6, 2009, 06:19 PM
I would have it bored out and rechambered to a little bigger round like a 6.8 or the Grendal that everyone seems to like.

lobo9er
September 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
still makes a decent blunt object to keep behind the kitchen door.

Country_boy_88
September 6, 2009, 07:30 PM
sounds like you need to clean the copper build up in it and see how it ends up shooting

223lover
September 6, 2009, 07:39 PM
Or just use it for tomato stake?

:D ah hahahaha ahaha. Too heavy for stick ball bat.

offthepaper
September 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
Lamp. :D

Justin
September 6, 2009, 08:04 PM
I've known some high power guys who'll take a barrel too worn out for a regular match, and use it on their Rattle Battle rifle.

I've also met a 3 gun shooter whose rifle had a barrel from a barrel that had been in a high power gun.

taliv
September 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
you can rechamber it. the "worn out" part is most likely the throat, not the straight portion of the barrel.

you could also have it reprofiled and use it as a blaster

Howard Roark
September 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
I cut 4" off the back of the barrel, rechamber and make a National Match M4 out of old SR barrels.

Like these:
http://www.mindspring.com/~abodom/nmm4.JPG

Maverick223
September 6, 2009, 11:26 PM
Chop the chamber (and rechamber to whatever you like that is .223 and will fit)...examine and if necessary chop the muzzle (and recrown). :)

lobo9er
September 7, 2009, 09:04 AM
I read an article i think it was in Fur Fish and Game or maybe Field & Stream about worn out barrels. He was a old timer gun smith (author of the article) used rebarrel alot of worn out rifles. He said he didnt see to many barrels that were worn out from shooting. He said if they were worn it was because of maintence issues. The other reason was people had to high expectations for their shooting and or couldn't accept the problem wasn't with the rifle. I thought it was an interesting article.

hadmanysons
September 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
Lamp.

I love it.

Maverick223
September 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Next thing we know were gonna have BATF regulated lamps...and tomato stakes. :neener:

HB
September 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
I read an article i think it was in Fur Fish and Game or maybe Field & Stream about worn out barrels. He was a old timer gun smith (author of the article) used rebarrel alot of worn out rifles. He said he didnt see to many barrels that were worn out from shooting. He said if they were worn it was because of maintence issues. The other reason was people had to high expectations for their shooting and or couldn't accept the problem wasn't with the rifle. I thought it was an interesting article.

That is very true for nearly all hunting and rimfire rifles I'd say, but you will shoot out a match barrel in highpower or service rifle fairly quickly. Remember you are shooting at a target from either 200, 300, or 600 yards where ammo and barrel quality are pretty apparent if you are a good shooter.

As for the barrel, id just us it as a blaster. 2.5 MOA isn't good enough for a practice barrel even.

HB

Jon Coppenbarger
September 7, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have had them go out from throat erosion getting to much for single long range loading to work well to the barrel just went south. I just give them to a friend that makes muzzle brakes out of them for hunting rifles.

As Justin says I have put them on my rattle battle rifles before and still do. When I say that let me explain something first.
I have two main rifles going at one time. One with a barrel with a few miles on it but lots of life left and one new one thats getting worked up to my #1 upper. I will always start a new season out with a new barrel and will have it worked in by mid june. The other upper after that gets used as a back up and for smaller matches.
The rattle battle upper just gets the best barrel thats left. Now since it only gets magazine feed loads down them they will have a good life for a few years. remember the match is only like 60 odd rounds a year and practice.

I have 2 kreiger 7.7-1 twist barrels on my competition guns and a extra new one ready to put on if needed. my rattle battle upper has a chanlyne on it.

I judge my barrels on performance and milage since no two are the same for the life of them. If I start losing X count at long range compared to my other upper its time to put it down. also if my calls are starting to go south its time to change it. Lets say I happen to be shooting a reduced course match and in slow fire I call a X at one and it comes up a 10 at 5 somethings not right and if it starts repeating its time for a change.

If you enjoyed reading about "old ar barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!