A couple of additions to the voting block

PDA

Bruno2
September 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
I took my son and two of friends (12 yr olds) to the gun club today . Sometimes I forget what it was like to be a kid with a gun . I totally forgot that I would have shot a dumptruck load of .22LR if I had it . They had a great time and I guess I did too , although , all I did was instruct and sort out jams and stuff . They started out with some 10/22 and them some .38spl , 9mm and a little 22 target pistol , finally, the AR 15 . The two boys that went with us (Trevor and Brandon ) have never shot guns before today . I will say this if either one of them turn out to be an anti I will fall over dead . One of their mothers came across as an anti even though I didnt ask she just seems that way :D. Now keep in mind I am a very respectful parent . My little girl had a slumber party and one of her friends parents were both in seminary school . We went to the video store and would not let them pick any R rated movies or anything that would seem to racey . None of the other girls parents would have thrown a fit , but , we werent going to alienate one girl so the rest of them could watch what they wanted . So keeping that in mind it didnt bother to ask their parents if it was alright for them to go b/c every time their parents come over I am usually in the garage reloading or cleaning guns:cool: . They come in the garage and talk and have never said I dont want my child shooting . I gave them the basic safety rules and informed them if anyone is to violate them then they will have to sit out for a while and watch . They were all as safe as anybody out there that has been shooting for 30yrs . I officiated more arguments about who's turn it was for the AR all the way to who gets to shoot the last 5 38's and thought a fight was about to happen several times .:eek: These boys will more than likely always own guns when they are old enough to buy them and probably as soon as they go home and throw a kicking and screaming fit they might have one sooner:neener:. I dropped a pretty good chunk on ammo today:what: , but , I did get my garage cleaned and my lawn mowed out of the deal:) I think next weekend they might learn how to resize brass and reprime cases .:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of additions to the voting block" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MightyBonecrusher
September 6, 2009, 11:40 PM
New guy here. I registered just so I could reply to your post.

I say job well done. Nothing greater than showing and teaching young men the use of firearms and doing it safely. My two boys (17 & 13) and daughter (11), have their own rifles, they know every aspect of them from safety to cleaning and we enjoy plinking at targets to shooting clays together. The sad thing though is that the freinds they go to school with have liberal parents that think only LEO's should have guns. I know an intruder wouldn't stand a chance coming into our house. If I don't get the drop on him first, one of my boys will.
I may sound like the crazed gun owner all the anti's refer to, but I'm just your ordinary law abiding citizen who thinks respect for firearms by youngsters can and will prevent them from shooting one another 'cause they were curious or ignorant! Teach them young that it is a deadly weapon, it is not a toy ,and let them see firsthand what it can do.

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 6, 2009, 11:41 PM
12 year olds can vote now? :P

ByAnyMeans
September 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
Good job sparking the interest in firearms and a teaching safety from the beginning.
Few more years and they can help keep the firearms tradition alive in this country through the voting booth but their ability to be safe and young shooters helps now. Maybe their discussion of today at home will spark an interest and allow you to help educate their parents.

Bruno2
September 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
I think this one and all of the other future trips to the range will surely set it in stone . I am not mentioning all of the talk and hype with their family and friends . This will contribute to the safety of our 2nd rights and then some . I get carried away with my love of the hobby and forget that there are others in my family that would like to shoot as much as I do . I have been making a point to take the kids at least once a month and let their friends tag along also . I enjoyed supervising and instructing "almost" as much as shooting . They all have sore thumbs from loading those 10/22 mags:neener: and that really took me back quite a few years . I remember having blisters and even bleeding thumbs:eek:.

Welcome to THR newbie have a look around make yourself at home :D.

berettaprofessor
September 8, 2009, 11:04 AM
So keeping that in mind it didnt bother to ask their parents if it was alright for them to go b/c every time their parents come over I am usually in the garage reloading or cleaning guns

Glad you gave the boys a good time, but I would suggest to ask the parents before doing it again. Yes, they may not care, but as a fellow gun enthusiast, I still wish you'd have the courtesy to ask if it were my son....not because I'm worried about the exposure to guns but because I'd want the chance to assess if YOU were safe enough to teach them.

And before you get your hackles up, how often do we have discussions here where somebody speaks up and basically ignores most of the four rules?

TimRB
September 8, 2009, 11:20 AM
Good job! It's interesting that kids (boys AND girls) almost universally love to shoot unless some adult indoctrinates them against it first.

"I think next weekend they might learn how to resize brass and reprime cases ."

That also is a good idea. I found out that many kids are simply fascinated with the concept of actually making ammunition at home. If you have those guys make twenty rounds apiece from sizing and priming to bullet seating and then take them out to the range to shoot their very own ammo, you will clinch them as lifelong shooters.

Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of additions to the voting block" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!