8mm shoulder collapsed

PDA

prickett
September 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
I broke out my 8x57 reloading equipment for the first time in > 10 years yesterday and loaded up 10 rounds. Upon finishing, I realized the shoulders had collapsed. It appears as if the seating stage is possibly forcing the bullet into too small of a mouth, which in turn is collapsing the shoulder. Does that sound reasonable or can you think of another reason I'd be seeing this?

I've used this brass and these bullets before without problem (albeit > 10 years ago).

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm shoulder collapsed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 7, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'd have to guess you have your seating die screwed in too far and it is crimping the case mouth too much.

Seating a bullet will not collapse the shoulder.
Too much crimp will.

rc

Steve H
September 7, 2009, 02:14 PM
A picture would help. Could you have too much case lube on the case?

evan price
September 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
+1 to RCmodel. If your shoulder is bulging out after seating, your seater is screwed in too far.

prickett
September 8, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll adjust the seater/crimp and try again.

steve4102
September 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll adjust the seater/crimp and try again.

Raise the ram, screw the die into the press until the die bottoms out on the shell holder, back the die OUT at least one full turn.

rcmodel
September 9, 2009, 12:40 PM
That may or may not work with all dies.

The best way to set it with no crimp is to:
1. Run a sized case all the way up in the loosened die.
2. Then screw the die in until you feel the dies crimp shoulder contact the case mouth.
3. Then back the die off a 1/2 turn or so and lock the lock-ring.
4. Then adjust the seating stem to the proper cartridge OAL.

If you desire a crimp:
1. All cases must be trimmed to the same length.
2. Step #2 above is the starting point.
3. Screw the seating stem out slightly, and screw the die in slightly further until the desired amount of crimp is applied, and lock the lock rings.

rc

average_shooter
September 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
Or...just get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I'm another proponent after having the same issue with my .223 Rem. plinking loads. The Lee die supposedly re-re-sizes the case also, to make sure the shoulders don't buldge/collapse. I've given up trying to load and crimp in one stage for most of my reloading, especially when I've got the space for the crimp die on my progressive set-up.

jjohnson
September 9, 2009, 12:58 PM
Either can do it - check 'em both - I'm betting it's the die adjustment, though, if they're all doing it. If it's lube, you'll usually get some but not all acting that way. Back off your die and see what happens.

Walkalong
September 9, 2009, 01:04 PM
The rifle FCD does not "resize" the case. The pistol FCD "post sizes", but not to the degree the sizer does.

Follow rcmodels advise.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm shoulder collapsed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!