Fixing 1911 Dreaded Magazine Drop

PDA

Noveldoc
September 7, 2009, 12:43 PM
Have a Star PD 1911 semi clone that developed a nasty habit. Every 3rd round or so the mag would pop out. Gunsmith friend showed me how to fix it.

This is usually not due to worn out mag catch assembly but rather due to dirt. The mag catch button builds up some smutz that prevents it from completely seating so the mag does not completely catch.

First, look at the screw behind the trigger on the side opposite the mag button. It is NOT a screw and you will never unscrew it. It works a small cam that releases the mag assembly.

Remove the mag and clear the weapon. Then press in the mag button while trying to turn the screw like thing counterclockwise. Depending on your gun, may take a lot of pressure to do this. I had to mash the button down against a cartridge but then a counterclockwise twist of my trusty small screwdriver produced movement and a little click.

The whole assembly then just slides out. I found a lot of packed goo and cleaned it with some fine steel wool soaked in Hoppes 9. Came right off. Then did the same with the hole in the frame and lubed.

Replacing the assembly did not take near as much pressure. I just put clockwise pressure on the screwdriver and worked the button until the little cam slid in.

Now I hear a nice metallic click whenever I insert the mag and the button moves properly. Works.

Another trick is to take some small needle nose pliers to the upper surface of the notch in the mag. Give it just a tiny little flare, just enough so you can feel the rough edge on the mag. Gives the mag retainer more surface to bite on.

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixing 1911 Dreaded Magazine Drop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 7, 2009, 03:36 PM
I have fixed a couple of Stars that had machining burs left in the hole in the frame too.
No amount of cleaning will fix that.

Mags falling out is not "dreaded" on real 1911's.
In fact, it is almost unheard of.

rc

Noveldoc
September 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
I had an old Colt Commander that did the same thing.

Tom

Dave T
September 8, 2009, 01:49 PM
The Star PD is a long, long way from being even a "semi clone" of the 1911. And like rc said, there is no "dreaded magazine drop" with 1911s. Just the deliberate drop of the magazine once the mag release is depressed. (smile)

I'd be willing to bet you are bumping the mag release in recoil because of your grip or maybe the size of your hands. I've seen folks with larger than average hands have occasional problems with this.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixing 1911 Dreaded Magazine Drop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!