Hornady LnL shellplate binding

PDA

Randy1911
September 7, 2009, 01:43 PM
I sat down today to load some 9mm and when I put the shellplate on it was binding so bad it would not spin. Tightening the bolt with the slightlest finger pressure made it bind. I tried the rest of my shellplates (5) and they all worked perfect. I inspected the it and I could not see anything wrong with it. I even made some measurements and it was the same as the other ones. It worked fine the last time I used it. I will call Hornady tomorrow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LnL shellplate binding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IMtheNRA
September 7, 2009, 02:31 PM
Did you check the spring loaded steel balls that it rides on? Maybe some dried up oil or other gunk jammed one of them and it locks into the subplate assembly notches, but does not yeild to upward pressure when you try to advance the shellplate.

Walkalong
September 7, 2009, 03:19 PM
I had one that was warped, causing it to bind, and I had to remove some material from the outer edge to thin it down. Works great now. Lay your dial caliper on the bottom edge to check it.

Thread - Check post #23 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=464088)

Randy1911
September 7, 2009, 04:50 PM
The little spring loaded steel balls was one of the first things I checked, they were fine. I will check to see if it is warped. I was thinking and I "think" this is the first time I have tried to load since I converted to the E-Zject. Maybe they didn't get it machined correctly when I sent the plates back.:confused: I will check for warp and just call Hornady in the morning.

Walkalong
September 7, 2009, 05:04 PM
Same for me. My two shell plates that were binding after the EZ-Ject upgrade worked fine before it. Both were warped, one worse than the other.

David Wile
September 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hey folks,

This may really sound dumb if you already know about it, but in case you do not...

The shell plates on my old L&L have a small cut out on the center bored hole. This cut out is intended to properly index the shell plate when you place it on the part of the ram where the bolt is screwed in. If the shell plate cut out is not fitting the part on the ram properly, the shell plate will tilt when the bolt is tightened.

OK, I guess that is old news, and you can start pitching dirt at me. That is the only thing that I could think of. As long as I get it lined up properly, my shell plates all work properly, and I never had a warped one.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Walkalong
September 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
Good point David. I had a couple of new shell plates with that problem. I had to carefully open the slot up a hair so they would have a hair of play. None of my older plates were that tight.

Randy1911
September 8, 2009, 09:30 AM
I just got off the phone with Hornady. They said to send it back and they would replace it for free. Can't beat that.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LnL shellplate binding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!