New mold

PDA

GP100man
September 7, 2009, 05:55 PM
I likee!!!:D

Now i hope revolvers likee to!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "New mold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
capbuster
September 7, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!

Walkalong
September 7, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have never cast HP's. Is it any more trouble?

David Wile
September 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Walk,

It is a lot more trouble. I used to do it in a .38 cal one cavity mould. Trouble?

Everyone has their limitations as to what they are willing to put up with. I always wonder why some folks are always complaining about changing dies when it does not bother me - you can have the tool heads and die bushings as far as I'm concerned.

My limitiations show up real quickly when it comes to casting. I prefer four cavity moulds, but readily use two cavity moulds. I really resent having to use a single cavity mould. If you want to push me over the edge, take a single cavity mould, and then add another device that has to be inserted and locked in the mould each time you pour another bullet.

Is it extra trouble to make hollow points? Don't ask me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Walkalong
September 7, 2009, 08:55 PM
:D Always looked like more trouble in the pics. Nothing I wanted to try. I have two 2 bullet molds, and one 4 bullet mold. I haven't cast in some years.

One thing that did intrigue me was when Ross Sefried wrote about casting soft nosed bullets in G&A many years ago. He would partially pour the bullet with hard alloy, and then top it off with soft alloy. The timing had to be just right to get it to work. They acted like a Nosler Partition bullet. He had some cool pics of recovered bullets. Everything he wrote about, I wanted. I missed his articles when he quit writing for G&A. I did try casting some of those, but it was a serious PIA. Well heck, I tried at least. :)

I believe I have those mags around here somewhere.

ReloaderFred
September 7, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have a couple of hollow point molds, along with a couple of hollow base molds. Yes, they are quite slow to cast with, and you really have to want the bullets to put up with the extra work and slow output.

Hope this helps.

Fred

stoveboltgunnut
September 8, 2009, 12:38 AM
gp100man, those look fantastic. I just started casting myself, can I pick your brain?

about what are the percentages of metals in you alloy? It looks like it casted VERY well.

armoredman
September 8, 2009, 03:26 AM
Had an HP mould, sold it before I ever tried it, looked like a major pain. Kudos to those who can, though, very nice!

If you enjoyed reading about "New mold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!