Swift A frame or Scirocco

PDA

257WM_CDL-SF
September 8, 2009, 12:53 AM
I have a 257 Weatherby.I want a good bullet to hunt with.I have looked at factory loaded Partitons and Barnes TSX but from 70 to 75 dollars for 20.
I have a friend who said I could use his reloading set.I am thinking of going with the Swift bullets.For whitetails which would work the best the A frame or the Sciroccos? Also does anyone have any reloading info on these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Swift A frame or Scirocco" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
willymike
September 8, 2009, 10:06 AM
Either will kill a white tail! However, the A-Frame is really designed more for large tough game. I have not used the A-Frame for white tail, but have shot the Scirocco and liked it very well.

The Scirocco does great in the wide open spaces out west where you can take full advantage of the high ballistic coefficient for long shots, and certainly will kill well up close in any environment, but you will pay a price (literally) for shooting the Scirocco.

If bullet cost is not a consideration, then go for the Scirocco since it is an excellent bullet and does perform well on white tail. However, I have found that Sierra Gamekings and Hornady SSTs will give you excellent performance at close to 1/2 the cost of the Sciroccos. The cost of Sciroccos are 49.99 per box of 50, while the Sierra Gamekings cost 21.19 and Hornady SST cost 25.99 per box of 100 (Midway USA prices).

Typically, in most (but not all) rifles, the Gamekings will also prove to be a more accurate round if you are prone to fret over group sizes.

For a hunting bullet, I'd be happy to shoot any of these three and have. It's just that in my experience the Scirocco does not perform to a level of twice the effectiveness of the other bullets to warrant twice the price. It's a shame too, because it is a very good bullet. I really like Swift products, but not under those economics.

Again, if you can afford it - shot the Scirocco.

257WM_CDL-SF
September 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
thank you willymike may I ask what caliber you shot them in? And do you have any reloading info on them

willymike
September 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have shot all three bullets in 308 Winchester and 30-06.

I have shot Remington factory 308 Win Scirocco loads in 165gr with good success when hunting mule deer, white tail, and antelope.

I have also been greatly satisfied with the Sierra Gameking and Hornady SST in both 308 and 30-06 using handloads.

In 308 Win my loads for 165gr bullets is either 44.5gr of RL-15, or 44.9gr of Varget. Both loads have near identical accuracy and velocity results in my rifle.

In 30-06, I'm loading 57.6gr of IMR 4350 for 165gr bullets, which has proven to be a very accurate load.

I don't shoot 257 Weatherby, but would expect good performance in that rifle with any of those bullets.

I agree with you on the high cost of factory ammo. That's why I reload. For instance in 30-06: Federal Premium Ammo loaded with 165gr Gamekings run from between $35.99 to $39.99 per box locally. I'm reloading the same loading for around $10.57 per box.

I've not priced 257 ammo, but if you are paying $70.00 per box as you have stated, and like to shoot a lot; I'd be looking to purchase my own reloading equipment. At those prices, you could expect a quick break-even on the investment.

MuleyJ
October 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
I believe one thing that must be taken into account here is the chosen projectiles ability to perform at higher impact velocities. Chances are at most of the ranges one would likely shoot a whitetail with a 257 WM the impact velocity would be faster than the muzzle velocity of either a .308 or 30-06 w 165gr bullet. At distances over 300 yards this might not matter but inside of that (especially 150 yds and closer) the impact velocity from a 257 WM will still be over 3000+ fps. This is where the chances of bullet failure increase significantly. In my opinion this justifies the expense of a premium bullet (scirocco, tsx, partition, a-frame, interbond, accubond, etc.) for the high performance calibers while big game hunting. These bullets are the least likely to fail at close range. I shoot the swift 100gr sciroccos in my 257 for hunting and developed a load with 100gr sierra match kings for small game and target. I believe the price for the sciroccos that willymike quoted was for a box of 100, so they are twice as much as the sierra/hornady cup and core and half the price of the A-frame. The price on the scirocco bullets are right in line with the other bonded-core offerings.

okierifleman
October 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
I only load 2 bullets for hunting, the Scirocco and the Nosler Accubond. Try the 110 Accubond in your 257, I load it in my 25-06 and love it.

Capt. NW
October 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
I shoot the Scirocco in all my guns 270,7mm,300wsm and 300win. and love the round. I have taken hogs, black tail deer, Mule deer, black bear and elk. I have made kills from 20 yards all the way out to 650 yards. each time the game has droped in their tracks.

257WM_CDL-SF
October 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
Muley is your 257 a weatherby? If so id like to get some loading info from you in the sciroccos

MuleyJ
October 30, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yes it is a 257 Weatherby vanguard 24" bbl. This rifle will shoot about every bullet I have had through it sub MOA, with the exception of the Hornady interbond. Of the powders I have used so far Retumbo seems to provide the most uniform velocities throughout the workups and 2/3 of the groups were under 1". I emailed Hogdon and they told me that in their opinion Retumbo was too slow for the cartridge but to use H1000 data in the workup. I was able to find some quickload data for the 257 in another forum I will try to pm you. It seems throughout most of my research the most commonly used powders are IMR7828, H1000 and Reloder 25. There are a few people that seem to enjoy good results with Ramshot Magnum. I have used both the newest Nosler and Barnes books as reference for my workup charges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swift A frame or Scirocco" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!