Lead handloads in an LCR

PDA

halfded
September 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thinking of buying a Ruger LCR but am a little concerned I might not be able to shoot my lead reloads without them coming unseated.

Anyone with any experience on the matter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead handloads in an LCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Floppy_D
September 8, 2009, 09:01 AM
Use a good roll crimp and you'll be fine. I don't own an LCR, but I have put many rounds through lightweight revolvers, never had an issue with bullets backing out.

loadedround
September 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
Halfded: I just bought a Ruger LCP three weeks ago and was wondering the same thing. As soon as I can find a decent set of dies I will find out and post results. In the meantime, I managed to find a box of Winchester FMJ and several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense ammo. My LCP fuctioned 100% out of the box with both types of ammo(pistol was cleaned first). My Seecamp 32will be going on sale shortly. :)

jfh
September 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
The issue of bullet jump in a revolver is entirely a function of the assembly process of the cartridge. Get your crimp sorted out and you will be fine.

There is a new, EXCELLENT sticky at the top about (revolver) crimping in particular; use it.

Lightweights do seem to be slightly more suceptible to marginal crimping, though, and you may need to fine-tune your components (QC on your lead bullets re diameter, etc.) and case brand (thickness), but that is easily done.

I'd plan on building several dummy rounds with your selected components--no primer or powder, and check the final setup in both the chambers, all of them, and possibly in a MAX cart gauge.

Similarly, barrel leading issues will be minimized with a tweaked recipe. Start with a known-brand bullet--say any of the ones with positive comments in this forum, like Missouri bullets--and avoid 38 Special brass for wadcutter / target loads--e.g., thin-walled. Use a bullet with a BHN of about 10-11 for good obduration with lead loads in the (presumed) power / ballistics you will be building. Until you know more, use a .358 dia bullet.

Jim H.

Bush Pilot
September 8, 2009, 09:43 PM
One word: crimp. I've shot probably 1,000-1200 rounds (jacketed & lead) through my LCR in the last two months without any problems. I don't load any differently than I do for J-frames and SP101s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead handloads in an LCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!