Hornady vs RCBS

PDA

257WM_CDL-SF
September 8, 2009, 03:47 PM
hi I am looking at trying to get me a reloading kit.The 2 i'm looking at are the Hornady lock and load and the RCBS Master reloading kit.My question is which i guess works better? I notice the Hornady has digital scales.are the as accurate as the old beam scale?Also how do the bushings work on the Hornady?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady vs RCBS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
You simply can't go wrong with RCBS.

IMO: Lock & Load is An Ingenious Solution to a Non-existent Problem.

In actual use, you adjust the new dies once and lock the lock-ring set screws.

After that, it takes all of 10-20 seconds to unscrew one die and screw in another when you go from one operation to the next.

Total time in a reloading session changing dies should be no more then a minute or so.

With the L&L inserts, you have to buy from 2 - 4 more of them every time you add another die set, and that can add up over time.

Digital scales are the wave of the future.
Most all of them are plenty accurate for general reloading, and many times faster.
Also, far less chance of making a mistake when adjusting the weights on a beam scale.

With that said, I own both and use both to double check the other one I happen to be using.

Bottom line is, I think highly of RCBS but you probably can't go too far wrong with either one.
(I don't like Hornady Titanium Nitride pistol dies at all though. Only have owned one set and they suck!)

rc

David Wile
September 8, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hey RC,

You are nasty. L&L is a solution looking for a problem? I agree with you completely. I think Hornady's L&L bushing feature was simply their response to the Dillon tool head feature. It is probably a better feature than the tool head, but who needed either one in the first place.

I have several RCBS single stage presses that I still use along with my Hornady progressive. I wouldn't mind having a Hornady single stage press in place of one of my RCBS presses just because the RCBS presses have always dropped primers all over. My Hornady does not drop spent primers so I think that is a bit of an improvement over my old RCBS stuff.

Recently someone on a thread said he was thinking about glueing his L&L bushings in place in his L&L AP and just going back to screwing in his dies. Was that you who said that by any chance? The more I think about it, the more I am tempted to do that.

I still use my original Ohaus balance beam scale that I bought around 1960. I am tempted by the digital scales, but I am too cheap to spend the money any more.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

rcmodel
September 8, 2009, 05:06 PM
Wasn't me.
I wouldn't buy a L&L single-stage press set-up on a bet!

Beside, I'm still trying to wear out my old 1970 model RCBS Rock-Chucker.
It appears I won't live long enough to do that though.
Or even come close.

rc

mongoose33
September 8, 2009, 05:07 PM
Different strokes and all that.

I consider my time valuable. The more I spend "screwing around" screwing in dies and unscrewing them, the less happy I am.

Thus, the LNL solves a significant problem for those who like to reserve their spare time for things other than spending time with dies. Bits of time here and there add up.

My next press purchase is going to be a Cast Lee single-stage press, because I can replace the insert with one that will accept the LNL bushings. Why? Because I want to do things like swap rifle dies and collet pullers and the like quickly. My time and all that...

Perhaps it's less important on the progressive than a single stage press, but I like 'em.

Walkalong
September 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
I would go with the RCBS vs the Hornady, as far as a kit. I agree with rcmodel about the nitride dies. I wore the coating off a 9MM sizer in less than 2000 rounds. Unless they have changed their expander die, you cannot remove the expander, so if it needs some polishing down, you are out of luck. I do like their seaters though.

I am quite sure the LNL bushing were an answer to other makers presses having easy to change tool heads or turret etc. It's faster to change die sets, and people are lazy, that is all.

For progressives I think it is a little better system than having all the dies on one plate that can tilt, but enough better to matter? Dunno. That could be an entirely different argument (I mean debate :D)

If I was getting a new single stage by its self, I doubt it would be the LNL though.

Kit?........... RCBS

calaverasslim
September 8, 2009, 06:24 PM
Over the last 30+ years of reloading, I have used them all but I keep going back to RCBS products.

I just feel that the life time warrenty that RCBS has makes it worthwhile.

For Example.........

For about 10 years I used my dad's old lubrisizer until it finally fell apart. He bought it about 1965(?). I sent it to RCBS and they sent me a whole brand new spanky shiney Lubrisizer II. No charge. Done the same with dies and moulds. Some of this stuff fell apart after 30 or 40 years of hard use.

Nothing wrong with that. Worth a little extry money when I buy the stuff.

257WM_CDL-SF
September 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
I had a RCBS rock chucker kit once and liked it.It was a very solid press I was just wondering if the Hornady was equal to it.and the Hornady has the digital scales

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady vs RCBS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!