cheap scopes

PDA

lobo9er
September 9, 2009, 12:04 AM
recently i was reading a couple threads on cheap scopes. i bought a center point made by crosman 4x16 40mm 1 inch tube adventure series from wal-mart. put it on my muzzle loader, havent shot it yet. first impressions so far are good. suppose to be able to handle a 416 rigby. i dont know anything about .416 rigby's so doesn't mean much to me. sounds like they have a bit of kick. so anyhow, so far so good mounted and hoping to take it out this weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "cheap scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert Wilson
September 9, 2009, 01:34 AM
When I was young I used cheap scopes. Most of them worked very well. The few that didn't (if a scope is going to break it will almost always do it within the first few dozen rounds) were replaced under warranty and those replacements were satisfactory.

None of them were as bright or clear as the scopes I use these days, but brightness and clarity are overrated qualities in an aiming device. And most of them did not have particularly repeatable adjustments, but that is not important unless you intend to frequently adjust your scope, which is a generally pointless exercise on anything but dedicated competition rifles.

I am a scope snob (and a rifle snob) but am happy to admit that cheap scopes and cheap rifles will almost always do the job.

lobo9er
September 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
i agree, and very nicely put.

If you enjoyed reading about "cheap scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!