Bed Bunker

PDA

Boba Fett
September 9, 2009, 01:46 AM
http://www.bedgunsafe.com/

Here's the video:
http://www.bedgunsafe.com/video.html

Anyone have any experience with these? What do you think? Good idea / Bad idea?

Seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially for people with space concerns, apartments, etc.

http://www.bedgunsafe.com/images/gallery5.jpg http://www.bedgunsafe.com/images/gallery3black.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Bed Bunker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kdstrick
September 9, 2009, 01:50 AM
I think I'd get awful tired of moving my mattress... looks kinda like a pain in the butt to me.

FROGO207
September 9, 2009, 01:55 AM
The only bad thing I see is difficulty getting to your firearm quickly when sleeping in bed at night.:D The intelligence of most BG types will keep your treasure safer than in standard spots:cool:

Boba Fett
September 9, 2009, 01:57 AM
I think I'd get awful tired of moving my mattress... looks kinda like a pain in the butt to me.

I'm not sure that it is meant for storage of firearms you would want to use on a daily/weekly basis.

And I don't really see it as being anything more than a longterm hidden storage or space saver storage.

Also, if you were to use an air mattress, they are not difficult to move at all. And IMHO, they are more comfortable than regular mattresses, provided you get a nicer air mattress (i.e. more expensive/non-WalMart camping section).

cchris
September 9, 2009, 04:10 AM
If I recall, this is somewhere around $3000.

Cool idea, a good place for stuff that you don't shoot much, or good for someone who needs to invest in a safe and a bed and doesn't go out to the range but a couple times a month.

smithmax
September 9, 2009, 04:25 AM
Seems like an interesting solution to a non-issue. If it is $3k, it seems like you could just spend that money on a wall safe.

Diggers
September 9, 2009, 04:43 AM
The only use I can see for that thing is if you have a lot of guns and very little space in your home for a large safe.

I would just get a regular safe and one thats easy to get into. (i.e. not having to move your bed!)

I have a spin dial safe, wish I got an electric combo pad safe. Just a pain to spin through the numbers a couple three times a day. So if your like me you will hate having to move your bed to get to your guns.

smithmax
September 9, 2009, 04:59 AM
They might sell more of those if you had the option of a drawer that could slide out, instead of moving your mattress.

Speedo66
September 9, 2009, 10:01 AM
I guess if your significant other doesn't mind institutional styled headboards....:barf:

DHJenkins
September 9, 2009, 10:26 AM
Do you have any idea how much that would hurt if you stubbed your toe on it?

9mm+
September 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
I guess if your significant other doesn't mind institutional styled headboards....

I was wondering if it came with a straightjacket or leather strap buckle-down option? Wasn't this used on the set of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"?

Boba Fett
September 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
LOL.

Actually the headboards don't come with it (as per the end of the video).

As for stubbing your toe, it looks like there is space under the safe. But if there isn't, you're right, it would seriously hurt.

I really like the idea of a drawer. They should offer both versions, one with a drawer and one with a door. Maybe offer it both ways: drawer and door in one.

HoosierQ
September 9, 2009, 11:26 AM
+1 on stubbing the toe!!! That was the first thing I thought of. That safe is recommended #1 by the American Association of Podiatrists.;)

ghoster
September 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
$3.000 :what:

i will just let the dogs eat any intruders. :evil:

i would buy several new toys with that much money.

my mattress with foam top on top of that and i would need a ladder to get into bed. pluss it would give away my position when i yanked up the mattress to get my gun and my wife floped on the floor.:banghead:

altho my wife floped on floor at 3 am = ear spliting schreech - thud -sailor blushing language, probly more dangerous than my gun at this point.:D

snorky18
September 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm wondering how much it weighs, and thinking about how my wife likes to move furniture around periodically :rolleyes:

I had an idea for under bed storage idea that used a commercial locking drawer like what trades guys use in their van to hold tools etc. Basically a long drawer with heavy duty slides, drawer dimensions approx 52" long. 12" deep, and 18" wide. They're normally about $750, but I saw one for like $150 on craigslist.

CWL
September 9, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you can afford that and you had so many guns, I would imagine that you could afford a house big enough to put a safe in another room.

Paul82
September 9, 2009, 04:52 PM
Bad idea. The BG always look under the beds for money, well they just found a JACKPOT full of it. IMO not a good idea

MAKster
September 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
There is a reason why almost all safes have a vertical door. The door is the heaviest part of the safe, and to lift open the door on a chest style safe you need some kind of hydraulic piston. This is a real weak point.

Erik M
September 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
saw it in a past thread, still not impressed. I would rather invest in a hidden wall safe.

ezypikns
September 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
My wife would probably not appreciate the style.

Looks like Early Penitentiary to me.

leadcounsel
September 9, 2009, 10:55 PM
Safe + boxspring + bed = about 4' off the floor!

And it's just a really big PITA to get into on a regular basis.

Not for me.

wrs840
September 9, 2009, 11:13 PM
+1 on stubbing the toe!!!

LOL. The plastic guitar case under my side, and especially the upside-down card table under my wife's side hurts bad enough...

Les

If you enjoyed reading about "Bed Bunker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!