glock 22 - slide lock

PDA

Fat Boy
September 9, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have recently handled a couple of semi-auto's that would not "lock open" when the magazine is empty and the slide is pulled back (the magazine is in the gun).

Is this due strictly to the magazine not working correctly, or are there other things that could be the cause?

If someone would like to provide a quick explanation of how this process works in a Glock, and possible fixes I would be really appreciative.

Thanks!

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "glock 22 - slide lock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Taurus 617 CCW
September 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Generally a slide lock failure is due to a lack of magazine spring tension. In the example of the Glock, the follower pushes up on a part of the slide lock that protrudes over the magazine slightly. If there's not enough spring tension, the slide will not lock open.

Another possible cause is a build up of powder fouling, dirt, grease, etc under the slide lock. (Do not clean with Hoppe's #9!). A third possible cause would be the slide not travelling far enough back to allow the slide lock to fully engage. Try the above with a couple of empty magazines. It may just be one magazine with a worn out spring.

Hk Dan
September 9, 2009, 11:05 AM
And the fourth possible cause is having your thumb on the slide lock lever and holding it down.

Taurus nailed every other cause that I can think of!

Dan

hogshead
September 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
Is the slide lock in place ?I recently had to replace a slide lock that was broke ,on a glock 22. Cost $9 I think, very easy to do.

If you enjoyed reading about "glock 22 - slide lock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!