RCBS piggy back set up

PDA

Bruno2
September 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
Are any of you guys using this set up? and is it worth the money for a progressive press ?

I see a lot of problems being posted with the Hornady LNL and I am becoming a little leary of purchasing one besides the fact that it will cost arund 6-700 dollars to get it up and running .

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS piggy back set up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jibbs
September 9, 2009, 11:45 AM
I run a RCBS progressive and love it to death. A lot of guys I shoot with who reload use Dillon's. For the money you can get a good Dillon for less then 700 with everything you need. RCBS has replaced just about every wearable/breakable part on my press with no questions and no charges, even for shipping. I hear that Dillon is the same way. My progressive is similar to the piggy back but is a auto progressive, different but looks very close to the the PB. If I had you budget, I wouldn't think twice about getting a Dillon, even though RCBS has treated me so good..

Walkalong
September 9, 2009, 12:12 PM
I would not recommend the piggy back set up. Look at their newest press designed as a progressive from the ground up, the Pro 2000.

600 to 700 to get an LNL running?

carbine85
September 9, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have an older one with all the upgrade. I use it for .223, 9mm and .30 Carbine. It's easy to remove and then use the Rock Chucker for the 30-06. I don't do all of the reloading steps at the same time. I prefer to resize the brass and prime the brass as a seperate process.
RCBS service is great.

September 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
I have two Rock Chucker presses, one I use as a single stage, the other has a PiggyBack II on it and it has been 100% reliable for tens of thousands of rounds including 9mm, .38 spl/.357 mag, .44spl/.44 mag and .45 ACP. I imagine that the PiggyBack-3 and PiggyBack-4 conversions are even better than the older PBII that I've been using since the early '90s. However, if I were starting over, I'd probably take Walkalong's advice and buy a Pro 2000 with automatic indexing along with a Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press.

:)

TRguy
September 9, 2009, 11:07 PM
$660 - $700 to get a LNL AP running.....

Nonsense

They cost between $369 to $399

if you are reloading you already have dies, primers, brass, and all the other stuff

don't forget Hornady's rebate offer of up to $300 of free projectiles.

HA HA HA HA $600, ridiculous

TRguy
September 9, 2009, 11:09 PM
I thought the RCBS Pro2000 is manually index? Am I not right?

Manual index at 2.11 into the below video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCOjenjFKmI

September 9, 2009, 11:50 PM
I thought the RCBS Pro2000 is manually index? Am I not right?

Two comments. First, my 15-year-old PiggyBack II has auto indexing and I can't imagine not having that feature. Second, the Pro 2000 is available in two flavors.

Pro 2000 with manual indexing (https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2845&route=C04J147)

Pro 2000 with auto indexing (https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=6024&route=C04J147)

:)

Bruno2
September 10, 2009, 02:44 AM
where can I get a lnlap for under 400 ?

David Wile
September 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hey Bruno,

I have had a Hornady L&L AP since 1997, and I have used the Dillon 650, and the RCBS Piggy Back. I also own an RCBS RockChucker and two RCBS Juniors. I would say the Dillon 650 and the Hornady L&L AP are comparable in features. The Piggyback is not comparable in my opinion. It is what it is. It is an add on to the RockChucker that is a pain in the neck to use, and it takes your RockChucker away from you.

I prefer the Hornady L&L over the Dillon 650 for a number of reasons that other folks may feel differently. Both machines work well and produce good ammo. The Hornady is a good bit less expensive, and I am sure other folks here will tell you where to find one for less than $400.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS piggy back set up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!