Sighting Technique

PDA

Jayhawker
September 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
What are the pros (and cons, if any) of sighting with both eyes open? I had my trusty Hi-Power and S&W 625 out this A.M. and tried it for a couple hundred rounds and thought I got better results although, after awhile, it seemed more difficult to get my eyes to focus.

Pete

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting Technique" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kanook
September 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
I shoot both eyes open, and I teach both eyes open. You will get a better field of view and depth perception with both open

possum
September 9, 2009, 06:35 PM
2 eyes open is all about situational awayness, knowing what is going on around your possible threat/ seeing the shole picture, seeing that bystandard in the eye that would have been closed. as well it will keep you from getting eye strain, as well it will assist you in tracking a threat better when they are moving, and allow you to use both eyes to focus on the threat, which will send back more accurate info to your brain to process what you see. therefore assisting you quicker in the O.O.D.A loop factor.

i shoot everything 2 eyes open unless i am shooting an m24/ precision rifle at long range. it doesn't come easy however and it took me a while but you will get it, it might be best for you to practice it while doing dry fire drills at home.

RobMoore
September 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
Recently done. You might find an answer or three here

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=468162

Frank Ettin
September 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
I've always shot everything, handgun, rifle and shotgun, with both eyes open. I get binocular vision and the widest field of view. And closing one eye can be tiring.

ByAnyMeans
September 10, 2009, 04:49 PM
I shoot my pistol one eye open as well as my shotgun. I do slightly squint one eye when going for a slow accuracy shot.

I shoot rifles with my weak eye closed. I don't really use my rifles in a CQC situation but would imagine both eyes open would be best then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting Technique" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!