This is how people get hurt or killed

PDA

Paul82
September 9, 2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ylCFeMbgw&feature=related

but neat I didnt know a pellet gun could trigger a shotgun shell to go off

If you enjoyed reading about "This is how people get hurt or killed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
September 9, 2009, 05:57 PM
That was awesome.

Cosmoline
September 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
They removed the shot according to the description. As long as they were behind something protective I see no particular safety problem. A shell or cartridge outside of a chamber is not a bomb, and smokeless powder is not an explosive.

Bruno2
September 9, 2009, 06:03 PM
I used to try to do that all the time when I was kid , but , was never successful . Looks like it was a good thing .

I did hit a 209 primer with a craftsman 1/2 drive ratchet" one "time . Before I did it I decided to pull a metal trashcan between myself and the primer . When that thing went off it sounded almost as loud as a shotgun being shot . To this day my dad still has the ratchet in his toolbox and it has a perfect impression of the backside of a 209 primer in it .

kingpin008
September 9, 2009, 06:03 PM
I don't see a problem.

JohnBT
September 9, 2009, 06:07 PM
Well, I would have done it outside.

Next they'll probably be having bottle rocket battles and put their eye out. Not that I ever did any such things.

John

Paul82
September 9, 2009, 06:09 PM
it looks like its on someones kitchen table to me.

mrt949
September 9, 2009, 06:17 PM
You can't fix STUPID:eek:

CoRoMo
September 9, 2009, 06:23 PM
My dad did this type thing when he was young. He found a picket in the back yard fence that had a knothole that was just the size of a 12ga. shell, emptied the shot out and forced it into the knothole. It took a long period of target shooting before he actually hit it, splitting the picket.

When I was a little kid, my best friend lived next door.

Him and his neighbor friend took to shooting .22 shorts with their bb guns until his friend got hit in the knee with one of the flying cases.

Like you said, that's how people get hurt.

Cosmoline
September 9, 2009, 06:33 PM
I think the slow mo is giving you guys an exaggerated idea of the power here. The slow motion makes it look more dangerous than it is. For example, this is the explosion that takes place inches away from my face and hands everytime I crack my firelock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgVnH6uEP0

Steve N
September 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like a lot of unburnt powered is ejected from the case, behind the wad. The primer also came out of the base of the case. You can see the primer moving across the screen for the last 1/4 of the video.

Bruno2
September 9, 2009, 06:54 PM
I knew a guy that got his eye put out with a bottle rocket during a bottle rocket fight .

CoRoMo
September 9, 2009, 07:00 PM
Cosmoline... I completely agree. The last line in my post was an insincere disclaimer of 'CYA'.

janedoedad
September 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
This can be accomplished even with a cheap Daisy BB gun. Learned this while wandering the hills near my house about 35 years ago. BTW, shotgun shells are LOUD!!

XD Fan
September 9, 2009, 07:06 PM
That firelock slo-mo is really intriguing.

ichiban
September 9, 2009, 11:02 PM
It looks, to me, that what we see in the first video is just the primer going off. I suspect the power is wet or something. I think that if the power had gone off that shell casing would have been shot backwards with a great deal of force.

When I was young and stupid (as opposed to now being old and stupid) we would cut the shot off of a shotgun shell and stick the shell into the dirt with the primer up and that was all that was visible. We would then shoot at the primer (from an angle) with bb-guns. When we were successful it would leave a large hole in the dirt and the casing was usually never found.

paintballdude902
September 9, 2009, 11:25 PM
u can also glue a bb to the primer of a shotgun shell and throw it

i was young and stupid but man it was cool thank god for brick walls and livign i the country

RoostRider
September 9, 2009, 11:34 PM
we used to tape a marble to the back of a shotgun shell with the shot removed and simply toss it in the air....

JohnBT
September 10, 2009, 05:32 PM
" it was cool thank god for brick walls and livign i the country "

Brick walls?

You must have been from the rich end of the county. ;)

We were lucky to have a roll of caps, a piece of tin foil to wrap around it and a hammer to hit it with.

John

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
If you think that's bad you're not familiar with the shadier corners of the internet.

I've seen a guy shoot himself in the arm while drunk, a guy pierce his nipple with a pellet gun, a guy put a paintball gun in his mouth on full auto, etc.

There's some real winners out there.

.38 Special
September 10, 2009, 09:04 PM
There was an episode of some show on Discovery -- either MythBusters or one of the survivorman-type shows -- in which they tried to start a fire by pulling a bullet, dumping out the powder, and then shooting the pile of powder with the primed case. IIRC, all they did was scatter powder around.

It looks to me like that's what happened in the video: the primer detonated and blew the powder out of the case. I'll bet a shot column would have provided enough resistance to allow the powder to ignite.

PT1911
September 10, 2009, 09:07 PM
a kid I knew several years ago was nearly blinded by exactly the same thing.... some other friends had been doing that... but they had at least held the shell far overhead... he discharged the BB gun, shell on top..... right next to his head... Darwinism I guess....

danprkr
September 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
Whacked several pistol primers with hammers over the years. A fun noise, but you'd better wear your hearing protection :D

It looks like the powder tried to go, but the front section was blown out before ignition while the layer right next to the primer did burn. Hard to tell, but that's what I think I see.

9mm+
September 10, 2009, 10:33 PM
Great slo-mo capture on both videos. I used to try nail tacks, a hammer, my dad's bench vise and 22LR shells when I was kid and was never successful. Good thing, too, since my dad would have gone ballistic if I had succeeded (pun intended).

TX1911fan
September 11, 2009, 02:04 AM
Roost, I thought I and my friends were the only ones who did that. Made great noisemakers.

jeepmor
September 11, 2009, 02:56 AM
Another leave the bait on the hook and move on question.

RP88
September 11, 2009, 03:08 AM
that was pretty cool, actually. I do hope that additional measures were taken to protect the camera and anyone partaking in or witnessing the event.

mackbob
September 11, 2009, 05:14 AM
First, the powder didn't ignite because it wasn't in a contained space that would allow ignition. Without the pellet load and wadding, this was simply a load of powder that couldn't be ignited. You would get the same result by removing a bullet from a metallic cartridge and firing off the primer and powder.

After four decades in public education, I have to agree with MRT. You CANNOT fix stupid, no matter how hard you try.

:banghead:

Nuke8401
September 11, 2009, 05:59 AM
I grew up in the south, yes I'm a redneck. At least he wasn't hitting it with a hammer and nail. Don't ask how I know thatís bad.
You have never lived until you have used the hood of a car as a sled with 4-5 people going down a hill. Golf course hills are the best!!!! Sorry to all the golfers out there,
4x4s on golf courses in the winter do make a mess.

You didnít really grow up as a southern boy or girl unless you have some scars to prove it.

What was the last thing the redneck said before he died?

Hey fellas, Watch This!!!!

SharpsDressedMan
September 11, 2009, 08:24 AM
We used to wedge a cut off paper shotshell (pellets removed) into a lead pipe and hit the primer with a nail and hammer in the garage. Dang, would our ears ring after that! Not something you want to keep doing, though.

9mm+
September 11, 2009, 12:05 PM
I grew up in the south, yes I'm a redneck. At least he wasn't hitting it with a hammer and nail. Don't ask how I know that’s bad.
You have never lived until you have used the hood of a car as a sled with 4-5 people going down a hill. Golf course hills are the best!!!! Sorry to all the golfers out there,
4x4s on golf courses in the winter do make a mess.

You didn’t really grow up as a southern boy or girl unless you have some scars to prove it.

What was the last thing the redneck said before he died?

Hey fellas, Watch This!!!!

x2, Nuke! I was born in Mississippi and raised in the South, and I can relate to all of what you posted. Thanks for quick trip down memory lane! :)

DeathByCactus
September 11, 2009, 12:16 PM
Sheep thread? I think the title of this thread is a little overboard. The OP knows nothing about any safety measures taken, nor the distance of the shot fired, nor what pellet gun was used to make the shot (so it could of been from a very safe distance).

I don't see how people got hurt or killed off of this because as far as I can see, it wasn't done in an unsafe manner. It simply shows the shell being detonated in slow motion. I can see the potential for injury, but comon now.

Nuke8401
September 11, 2009, 12:32 PM
9mm+,
I’m from Kentucky, I live in CT now, these people sure don't know how to have fun, especially the kids. Too protected, live a little.

When I was a kid my dad would come home from work and just give me that "what have you been up too look". In recent years, he is 82, I'm 50, he told me when he was young they used to hang dynamite sticks in trees and set the off for fun, usually reserved for Halloween and the 4th of July. He also said one stick of dynamite does a number on an outhouse.

Can you imagine doin that now!!!

9mm+
September 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
LOL, Nuke!! :D :D :D

rocky branch
September 11, 2009, 01:17 PM
Us hillbilly kids learn early about that stuff.
Those of us who survived intact think it's pretty funny to see beginners in action.

Col. Plink
September 11, 2009, 02:37 PM
Things we did as kids would now land us in Guantanamo.

A buddy of mine and I were going to go to a park to shoot grackles after school on the Friday before spring break. He had a Co2-powered bb pistol he took with him to school so he could ride my bus home and we'd go to the park. Long story short: bell rings, buddy leaps up from his desk, briefcase opens, pistol and Co2 cartridges go spinning across the floor in front of EVERYONE, no one does anything besides confiscate, buddy gets his stuff back over the summer without even a parental notification. It was 1983.

Niel4
September 11, 2009, 03:01 PM
Variation....

When i was a kid we used to take used CO2 catridges, cut of the nipple end (getting this right was the key) and then fill it up with about 10 packs of match heads.

If the nipple opening was the right size...u had a nice little rocket. If you got it wrong, it just spun around in a circle.

It always amazed me how match heads could work as a propellant.

Nuke8401
September 11, 2009, 03:05 PM
Central High School, downtown Louisville KY, rifle range in the basement. I was "bused" there in 1975-76 joined the NROTC and rifle team. The school kept the guns in a locker near the range. "Guns in School!!!" Oh my!!

I used to go the Beach Ben drag way and camp for the weekend during big races. It rained one year so hard some of the boys P/U trucks got completely lost in a mud hole. I saw Big Daddy Don Garlits run there. First time I heard, I mean felt, a nitro methane rig run, the experience of a lifetime.

If you have never seen/felt a Nitro car run, it should be on your "bucket list".

I did shoot out my dads garage window during the post modification testing phase of my first try at gunsmith my Daisy CO2 pistol, that crazy thing went full auto!

Sigman314
September 11, 2009, 03:12 PM
When I was a kid, we used to take one of my friends' dad's small pistol primers and shoot them out of our pellet rifles into brick walls and other hard surfaces. Made one heck of an effect on impact. Especially at night.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is how people get hurt or killed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!