Anyone not have a mag extension on their shotgun?

PDA

Skunkabilly
January 19, 2003, 11:58 AM
If I could have a 14" Benelli I'd leave it off, but right now I have an extension that gives me 7+1.

The school I shoot with prefers to not have them as it adds weight, but I figure I can always not load to full capacity, but the extra rounds are there if I need it. If I load 6 instead of 7, the spring won't be as compressed, making it easier to load than a fully loaded 5+1 tube.

Anyone see the mag extension as unnecessary?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone not have a mag extension on their shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Traveler
January 19, 2003, 12:09 PM
I don't have them on my M12 Riots. They handle much faster (for several reasons) than any of my other guns. Don't have one on the M97 either.

Of course I could make some, but it seems to be a dead issue. The guns worked fine enough to actually go into combat over the course of almost 100 years without having to be so modified.

Kobun
January 19, 2003, 12:09 PM
Skunk,
You have a Benelli M1, right?
Can you load a round on the feedtray in yours?
I've modified mine so that it takes 7+1+1
If not, I'll tell you how to do it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Duke of Lawnchair
January 19, 2003, 12:47 PM
I purchased the Benelli 4rd extension for my M1s90 but is currently sitting on the top of my safe. My Benelli has the pistol-gripped stock and haven't located a straight stock to legalize my future installation.

I've had the extension for ~6 months and have not felt that it is necessary for my HD shotgun. Funny thing is, is that I purchased a straight stock a year and a half ago and sold it 9 months prior to my 4rd extension purchase. The deciding factor for the 4rd purchase was that it was only $35 dollars shipped in LNIB condition. Now, I have to purchase a straight stock in order for me to install this extension. Basically, I don't see a need for the 4rd extension on my primary HD firearm.

Kobun, is your M1s90 one of the "newer" guns? Mine won't allow me to execute the "party trick."

HSMITH
January 19, 2003, 12:50 PM
I don't have an extension, no need for one.

Dave McCracken
January 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
Not unnecessary, but optional....

Pixies and those of limited upper body strength may have trouble deploying a full length mag tubed "Serious" shotgun. My 20" barrelled 870 is noticeably more muzzle heavy than my HD 870 with one round less capacity.Didn't notice it when I was younger, but I do now.

And when I taught, it was noticeable that smaller folks had some problems holding the standard shotgun(870) up for any length of time.

Since I'm the only shotgunner here, the weapon can be as heavy as I want it to be, right now about 9-9 1/2 lbs when Cruiser Ready.

Weapons shared by spouses or other SOs should be set up for the weakest, of course.

And, "Serious" shotgunning is rarely high ammo burn, we don't do suppressive fire, and most domestic or neighborhood crises equates out to one shot, one stopped perp.

IMO, it's the shotgunner's call.

HS/LD
January 19, 2003, 01:48 PM
I don't have an extension on mine.

Thats because it came with 7+1 capacity stock. :D

Yeehaa!

Winchester Defender

HS/LD

Guyon
January 19, 2003, 03:42 PM
Well, of course, the hunting guns don't, but the HD gun does. I like the added rounds "just in case," and I do download by one. My light also mounts to the mag extension. Another mount is available that goes under the mag cap (sans extension), but it just doesn't seem as sturdy to me.

Like Dave's gun, mine goes about 9 1/4 lbs. My wife knows better than to go for the shotgun. Just too big for her. She has a primary handgun for HD.

Captain Bligh
January 19, 2003, 04:25 PM
I don't have an extension. I don't see the need for it. As soon as I come in from hunting or shooting clays, the long barrel comes off the 870 and the 18.5 incher goes on. Walla! Instant home defense gun!

If I have to use this in a home defensive situation, I plan on doing so from a hunkered down position. If there's more than a handful of guys coming though the door, I may be in trouble but that is unlikely so I feel just fine. The first several fellas through the door are going to become very discouraged.

Randy

sm
January 19, 2003, 04:43 PM
Don't have, don't need.

Kobun
January 19, 2003, 04:44 PM
Since I got a few requests about loading a Benelli with 7(6)+1+1, I'll post how it is done here:

If you take the bolt out of the reciever you can on the underside see a cut on the rear bottom left of the bolt. In the picture the cut is marked with a red circle.
This cut is present on newer Benelli shotguns.
Take the bolt to a welder who knows his job.
Get him to fill in the cut. After that, file down and polish the weld flat.
After this is done, you can now fill the tube, then pull the bolt back, drop one shell in the breach, and then one on the carrier.
Hold the shell on the carrier down while easing the bolt forward. The carrier needs to come up a little for the bolt to mowe forward, but hold the shell down.
When the bolt clears the shell, let it go to close the action.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Skunkabilly
January 19, 2003, 05:25 PM
I have problems holding up my Benelli for too long. I tuck the stock under the armpit when I reload, and can't use all my strength to load because it eats up my thumb.

I'm not that strong, either. That taclight is going to add what, at least a pound? :o

Ewok_Guy
January 19, 2003, 06:36 PM
Don't need one, already got 8+1 capacity. :D

Ian
January 19, 2003, 08:58 PM
No mag extension on mine. If anyone knows a way to put a mag extension on a side-by-side shotgun, I'd appreciate being let in on the secret. :)

Wildalaska
January 19, 2003, 10:33 PM
If I cant kill whatever I need to kill with 5 shots of buckshot, I deserve to die..

Wild5isenoufghAlaska

Betty
January 19, 2003, 10:33 PM
I did on my Wingmaster before I got my 1187 as the serious HD shotgun. The mag extension just looked... wrong on the Wingmaster.

Soap
January 19, 2003, 11:07 PM
I have a mag extension on my Benelli. I can hold it up just using my just strong hand with it shoulded and fully loaded. I can do it, but its not completely comfortable for me. So either its lift more weights or take it off. Thus far I've been pursuing the former, if that doesn't work, the extension is coming off.

Another thing to consider besides reloading is keeping your gun trained on a BG. If you have a BG surrendered on your floor, you have to keep you gun pointed in his general direction for as long as it takes for the police to show up. This could be a significant amount of time so its a good idea to know that you can hold your shotgun up for an extended period.

V-fib
January 20, 2003, 12:21 AM
standard moss mag + 6 in the sidesaddle give me plenty of firepower:cool:

Skunkabilly
January 20, 2003, 01:52 AM
Runty, I know what you mean. I had it on my Benelli turkeywidowmaker before I sold it and got my M1S90.

sm
January 20, 2003, 08:46 PM
Ian
yeah a SXS is a serious pc . I use the the same trick as the PH's used with double rifles, very quick and effective. Two shells in weak hand, fire, fire other bbl...pop empties...insert two and repeat.

'course the SXS I've shot of late has the left tube as 45-70, the right is 00 buck. Wood and blue, looks like a innocent classic...I so like being NOT tactical ...Low profile is so much more fun. Should see the looks when I use the left tube...slugs --HA !!

mark mcj
January 20, 2003, 08:54 PM
7rd capacitiy on a Rem. 1100. Considering how long it takes to reload a shotgun, I like all the rounds I can get in one to start with.

blades67
January 20, 2003, 11:20 PM
I won't put one on my 1300 Defender because it would look funny sticking out in front of the barrel like that.:neener:

3 gun
January 21, 2003, 04:56 AM
Can't add any on to my Mossy 500. The Remington 1100 is another story. Fully loaded it holds 11. I've been told the you can enlarge the gas port and get them to run the mini slugs. Full load goes up to 18 then. If I can find a cheap barrel to try it on I'd be tempted.

PJR
January 21, 2003, 09:13 AM
Don't use one on my 870 because it fills a variety of roles and switching barrels with a mag extension is less convenient. Besides, with a 28" barrel the gun is nose heavy enough without the extension.

Paul

Wakal
January 21, 2003, 09:26 AM
My favorite shotgun is factory-stock (except for the addition of a scout rail and a red-dot sight)...and holds 21 rounds of 2 3/4" 12 gauge.

Do I really need more than twenty-one rounds? Well...until I figure out a belt-fed system...this will have to do :D

:neener:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/USAS_race.JPG

Alex

ruger357
January 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
Had one on my 870, but had ejecting problems so I took it off.

foghornl
January 21, 2003, 11:50 AM
None on my Maverick/Mossy Mdl 88. If I need more than 5/6 rounds of Buckshot, I'm in the wrong place.:(

Correia
January 21, 2003, 02:38 PM
I use a +2 extension with mine. Figure it can't hurt to have a couple of extras. Upper body strength is not a problem. :)

romulus
January 21, 2003, 09:19 PM
I have them on both my 870s (Rem factory extensions) and on my precious Ithaca 87 M&P (no choice there, it's a long mag tube, not an extended one...)

However, given my current regression from everything synthetic back to traditional blue steel and gray-green park and wood furniture etc., I can't help but consider taking off the extended mags and replace the original mag caps...

mark mcj
January 21, 2003, 11:12 PM
Wakal I would really like to get some more info on that shotgun you got there.

M. Jager
January 21, 2003, 11:55 PM
No mag extension on my Ithaca for obvious reasons. No worries, If I can't get the job done with five then I probably deserve whatever I get, either for being a crappy shot or having the bad judgement to get in a situation that calls for more than five shot.
I am thinkin of putting one on my nova, as I think I might want a touch more weight up front, plus there has been times in the crow fields that birds are still in range after you have emptied your gun which is very frustrating.
Matt

labgrade
January 22, 2003, 12:18 AM
Five 870s, so natch, one's gonna have an extension & that's the dedicated HD shooter.

What ever you do though, please do function checks if adding a tube (or anything else, FWIW). I had some problems when first playing with an 870 Express w/tube - damnable dimple-things even when "removed" still didn't allow proper full follower travel at first.

Guyon
January 22, 2003, 04:31 AM
If you have a Dremel tool and some Flitz, you can get those dimples worn down nice and smooth for the follower to pass by. I didn't even drill mine. I just used the small grinding wheel to wear down the metal. Then, I used Flitz (polishing compound) and a buffing wheel to finish it all off. My Choate Hi-Vis follower seems to get by just fine.

cardboardkiller
January 22, 2003, 04:47 AM
My Benelli Super Black Eagle with a 26" barrel and a 4 shot extension dubbed "The Crow Slayer" suits me just fine.

NewShooter78
January 22, 2003, 07:58 AM
Don't need one on my Mossy 590.

JohnBT
January 23, 2003, 02:43 PM
Me.

John

Acolyte
January 31, 2003, 08:12 PM
Duke of Lawnchair, why do you need a straight stock for use with your magazine extension? You don't have a detachable mag, bayonet, flash hider, or more than 10 round capacity.
It's not a flame, I'm just curious.

Marko Kloos
January 31, 2003, 11:53 PM
I don't have a mag extension on my Nova. I have a side saddle for convenience (and because the store had it in stock), but capacity is a non-issue in a combat shotgun.

JohnBT
February 1, 2003, 12:04 AM
When I said "Me" in my earlier post I forgot to add that I have multiple shotguns, all loaded, but none with an extension.

I can be found covering the top of the stairs with my little pile of shotguns.

The game warden said using multiple guns was legal for duck hunting too, but no more than 3 shells per gun in the blind.

John

TJC
February 1, 2003, 08:36 AM
Can't figure out how to put one on any of my over/unders. :p

JohnBT
February 1, 2003, 12:19 PM
Just duct tape two guns together.

John

TJC
February 1, 2003, 12:31 PM
John,

Never thought about that. I'd have 2 triggers and 4 barrels then. I could even set it up with 4 different chokes.:p

But which stock do you use then?;)

Battler
February 3, 2003, 12:35 AM
Rent the movie Phantasm, to see a 4-barreled shotgun (2 welded together). To answer your question about chokes, don't use any - cut the barrels diagonally so that the weapon forms a wedge.

Mount a spotlight on the top.

This is clearly the solution for dealing with weird undead aliens with high molecular densities (from higher gravity). . . .

JMLV
February 3, 2003, 11:36 AM
but then I have yet to see one avaiable for a Mossberg 835 ultimag shotgun either! current loads is rifled slug barrel and load of winchester 1oz slugs. (Note to self: gotta send to mossberg and get that 18" CB barrel)

firestar
February 3, 2003, 11:04 PM
I have a Rem 870 HD without the mag extension. I actually had to pay more for it without for some reason.:fire: I like the fast handeling of it much better without the extra tube.

I don't use it as a home defense gun so capacity is not an issue. I shoot sheet with it and I do very well.

I have a Beretta 92 with 3 hi-caps for home defense. If things get REALLY nuts in my neighborhood (not likely as it is very quite with decent people in it) I have a AK-47 with 6 30 round mags! :what: I only keep one at a time loaded however so don't think I am a whacko or something. I figure that if I ever need it a Beretta 9mm should be all I ever need. If I really need more firepower it is there but I am almost scared to use the Ak-47 in todays political climate. But like I said, it is there if I ever REALLY need it. I hope I don't because that would be either a really hot situation or just when I want to have overwhelming odds in my favor. Hey maybe it isn't such a bad idea to have the odds stacked in your favor.:D

HS/LD
February 4, 2003, 12:22 AM
I don't think I am nuts and I keep most of my "serious" weapons magazines loaded to capacity.

When it comes to ammunition more IS better!

HS/LD

Nalle
February 4, 2003, 09:24 AM
lendringser

Did the woman come with the shotgun or the side-saddle?
=)

Nalle
February 4, 2003, 09:26 AM
No mag-extensions

Have a 870 (4+1) and an win 1300 def (18" 5+1). Will do fine for all situations.

harrydog
February 5, 2003, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Duke of Lawnchair, why do you need a straight stock for use with your magazine extension? You don't have a detachable mag, bayonet, flash hider, or more than 10 round capacity.

You can have an 18" barrel w/pistol grip or an 18" barrel w/4 round extension, but you can't have the combination of all three. That would be too evil!

Skunkabilly
February 5, 2003, 11:43 AM

Fed law says you can't have a SEMI-AUTO shotgun with BOTH a pistol grip and more than 5 round tube on a post-ban shotty.

He has a pistol grip stock so can only have the 5 rounds on it. If he puts a rifle grip stock on it, he's legal with the 7 round tube.

CA law says you have to have registered it prior to 1/1/2000, so even if you had a pre-ban and it was kosher by fed standards, you have to have registered it.:cuss:

HS/LD
February 5, 2003, 12:48 PM
It is nothing to get worked up about anyway Skunk.

The Feds and the Kali legislature as usual have demostrated their idiocy.

The pistol grip is completely over rated and IMHO useless.

If you absolutely must have a pistol grip and want more than 5 shots get the 8 shot FN Police TACTICAL model

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/guns_525px/fn_sg_tactical.gif

FN Police TACTICAL Shotgun (http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_tactical.htm)

Regards,
HS/LD

El Tejon
February 5, 2003, 12:57 PM
Leaving aside reliability, the sucker gets heavy after a few minutes on target and the pig is heavy enough to run with. You manly men have my respect.

Maybe I could do it if I were in a fixed position shooting the ninja-trained, zombie bears that invade the homes of gun hacks?

Kahr carrier
February 6, 2003, 08:40 AM
Nope ,shotgun came with an 8 shot tube.:)

Carbon_15
February 7, 2003, 04:52 PM
as soon as HK/Fabarm comes out with a carbon fiber finished extension to match the my FP-6....

Skunkabilly
February 7, 2003, 09:01 PM
C15, I like your style ;)

Carbon_15
February 8, 2003, 02:12 PM
:cool:
Thanks

Dr.Rob
February 9, 2003, 07:02 PM
That FN police model has more wasted do-dads than it needs.

1. Muzzle porting: if you are shooting at bad guys direct ALL available gas, wadding/flame tec at BAD guys.

2. Telescoping stock: fit yourself to your shotgun and you won't need to adjust it.. for what? Concealment? Also looks like it would catch on clothing.. straps etc.. if you are gonna make an adjustable stock why re-task the lightwieght stock from a car-15?

3. What gives with those sights? OK up close and personal it might not matter but its NOT gas operated so there is NO NEED for the sights to be 2 inches off the bore axis.

4. Pistol grip: It's a PUMP gun–– you need both hands to work it anyway.

5. FUGLY cross between FN-Made M-16 Parts and Winchester 1300. Buy the 1300 and save yourself the embarrassment of taking that monstrosity out of the case.

Ok back on-topic: When I carry my shotgun in the field as a bird gun I'm not allowed by law, to carry more than 3 shells in the mag and chamber combined. I'm usually using a 26 inch vent rib mod choked barrel. When I take it big-game hunting (slugs) I carry 5 shots, 4 in the mag, 1 in the tube and a 22 inch rifled sight barrel with a rifled choke. When i take it to an IDPA side match it has the deer barrel and the mag extension on it. Honestly it doesn't handle as fast with the extension, and the extra weight that far forward is noted. It still works though. the only time I have EVER short stroked a shot gun was when it was fully loaded with the mag extension.

blitzer0101
February 9, 2003, 07:38 PM
I have the SpeedFeed stock with 2 - 2 round magazines,

SPEEDFEED® I MAGAZINE TUBE STOCK SET

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/images/products/MTS_4.jpg

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/index.htm

Looking at the Knoxx Sidewinder magazine system for Rem 870 and Mossberg 500 series:

http://www.knoxx.com/images/product/New%20Images/Sidewinder_b_2.jpg

http://www.knoxx.com/product/sidewinder.html :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone not have a mag extension on their shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!