Imprint test 101 Asking the experts here

PDA

content
September 10, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hello friends and neighbors /// These are taken right after getting home from work. 105144

A recent thread has me wondering if I Imprint more than I realise. I thought about asking people I know but they are "people I know". So I'm asking the experts here.
A work day for me is driving, gardening .. pull weeds , prune bushes, go to store ,fix irrigation...drive home.

I prefer to have shirt tucked in. I use a leather Quest holster with belt clip. S&W 586 6" 357/38 .. I have a S&W 638 airweight bodyguard ordered but 586 is old reliable.

If my carry position is obvious please point it out.///Maybe some of you will be kind enough to post pics and or comments of your methods. I /we might benifit. /\/\/\/\
Just taking these pics of myself has helped.I see right away the speed loader, wrapped in white hanky, is too heavy for nylon hiking shorts. (left side)
Thanks , content

If you enjoyed reading about "Imprint test 101 Asking the experts here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mt Shooter
September 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
I think you need to work on getting the backs of those legs tanned to match the front. :D Don't even see it unless you know its there and what to look for.

Deus Machina
September 10, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well, you look like a tourist, but not like you're carrying a gun. ;)

Oyeboten
September 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
I'd get a shorter Belt...

Print-wise...I'd say the overall appearance is 'suspicious' somehow, or is 'hiding' something...which would attract the notice of anyone worldly-wise.

If I were a Department Store Dick, Bank Gurard, or Bouncer...I'd be watching you.

freakshow10mm
September 10, 2009, 11:03 PM
If a guy's got that much going on with his belt, he's armed.

To me you stick out as much as a guy wearing one of those tacticool vests.

Vest=gun.
Crap hanging off your belt=gun.
Fanny pack (f_g bag)=gun
5.11 pants=gun.

akodo
September 10, 2009, 11:07 PM
Too much junk on the belt, makes me instantly think 'gun'

kdstrick
September 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
Are you Batman? :what: Why so much on the belt? :confused:

Seriously... your belt hanging down, and those brightly colored pouches and keys all hanging down around it only call attention to that area, thus increasing your odds of getting 'made'. :scrutiny:

My advice would be to get some cargo shorts if you really have to carry that much stuff. :)

StuntHeavy
September 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
I'm no pro either, but the red and yellow pouches are an attention grabber and kinda make me wonder what that is all about. Plus the extra long belt is kinda weird. I cant tell if in the picture on the far right if thats a stain, or if something quite heavy is in your left lowest pocket.

At the same time though, most people would think that you were working, and didn't care about matching, or what your clothing particularly looked like. But a select few might notice it.

content
September 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Batman ;- ) I think that myself some times. I really use everything : Red pouch /cell phone ; Yellow pouch / camera...

So I'll try loosing camera , (stain) speedloader wrapped in white hanky left side pocket. maybe get black cell phone pouch.
I usually wear cargo shorts, but figured nylon would be the worst for imprinting. Belt just pulls out of loop sometimes. I don't see too many folks wearing flashlight, maybe a smaller one is in order.

Great to have other opinions, thanks

If you think the back of my legs are white I hope you never see my neon feet . ;-)

geronimo509
September 10, 2009, 11:43 PM
you should also get a black cell phone pouch that has a clip for your phone. people will see the red pouch and stare, but a black one and people will not look twice. +1 to just about all the other advise above.

iiibdsiil
September 11, 2009, 12:33 AM
Looks fine to me. Maybe a little geeky with all the stuff hanging off, but it's fine.

Superlite27
September 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Not to flame, just "In My Humble Opinion"

You've got too much going on. Too many pockets. The term "speed" loader becomes moot if you have to unzip a pocket, dig down in there, retrieve a wad of handkerchief, unwrap the loader, dispose of the handkerchief (toss it) without closing it in the action of your revolver.....(by now, it is no longer a "speed" loader. More like an "any day now" loader.) You mention that the loader is "left side". I can't see your firearm so I have no way of telling if you are right or left handed, but you do realize that revolvers are normally (by most people) reloaded with the strong side hand? I would suggest a small speed loader pouch on your belt. (Possibly in that yellow suitcase...j.k!) Even in plain view, NOBODY will notice.

I agree with the above posters. Less stuff.

Realize: 99% of the public would fail to notice your firearm if you had it duct taped to your forehead.

I have found that just having it covered is completely concealed. Nobody will notice. These are just some friendly, good natured (although cheeky: I couldn't pass up the "yellow suitcase" comment. please forgive) suggestions.

Blackbeard
September 11, 2009, 11:36 AM
See this is why I doubt I'd be a regular carrier, even if it were legal here. I hate carrying too much stuff on me. Keys, wallet & phone are barely tolerable. If I did carry, it'd have to be something small like a Kel-Tec. I'm looking forward to the day when my iPhone can also function as my keys and wallet, and fire 6 rounds of 9mm :-)

KarenTOC
September 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Maybe all that stuff on your belt says "gun" to serious gun enthusiasts. All it says to me is "if men carried purses they wouldn't need to hang all that stuff on their belts."

People see what they know. Cell phone case? nah, must be a spare magazine. Wallet bulge? nuh uh - obviously a pocket pistol. Key lumpiness? nope, must be a speed loader. Fannypack? obviously hiding a mini-arsenal.

Sometimes a fannypack is just a fannypack.

BornAgainBullseye
September 11, 2009, 11:55 AM
im not even going to tell you what I think of that belt on the far right 2 pics!!!! not on this board! I would get banned!

jfh
September 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
KarenTOC nailed it.

IOW, the posters on this board look at the rest of the world through gunny eyes, so to speak.

Personally, I front-pocket carry a j-frame. For the first six months, I was sure anyone in the upscale UMC community I frequent for shopping would know that--even though the outline was broken up by a mika holster.

My normal dress includes some sort of sloganized t-shirt and an "overshirt"--and a vest, so I don't worry about pockets for the camera, phone, etc., etc. The j-frame goes in an inside vest pocket when I'm driving.

My friends and acquaintenances know I carry. The rest have never looked twice--and the friends don't think about it any more, either.

Jim H.

StuntHeavy
September 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
If you think the back of my legs are white I hope you never see my neon feet . ;-)

I'm from Maine... where we get a whole 3 1/2 days of summer per year. I dont carry a flashlight. My nether regions are so white, they glow in the dark. If the attacker doesn't double over with laughter, they'll surely be blinded!:what:

All kidding aside, if it were me, perhaps switch to a better pair of cargo shorts, and put things like the cellphone and camera (dontcha know they combine those two now :p) in the pockets, and get a matching, properly sized belt. Speedloader in one of the hip pockets, keys and such in the other, and you'd be good to go.

kdstrick
September 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
Good thread. I agree that those of us who carry may be much more aware of others who do the same.

Even as much as Content has going on there with the pouches and all, he is still more inconspicuous than some of the guys I see with the Wilderness Belt and vest (in 100 degree heat!). :what:

BTW... Content, you should try going with a better support system for your gear. A thicker and wider belt would make all that gear feel a lot lighter and make it more comfortable to tote.

Take a look at http://www.thebeltman.net/. They aren't inexpensive, but will last forever... or until you get a beer gut and "out-grow" it. ;)

content
September 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hello friends and neighbors / sorry about the belt, didn't want to change anything before taking pics '''come as you are kind of thing """

Thin belt is part of disquise as are the pouches. When I look in the mirror I can barely see anything but yellow and red. ( Does look geeky though )

I have always been into photography but I think I will find another place for camera.

Thanks for all comments. I would not post if I lived in a "glass house"

I found more humor than I thought I would but to me that is a plus . Frankness I can always listen too.

I expected someone to post a big red circle over my revolver in the first 5 min. So I am relieved to get so many positive comments.

1) belt camera goes into pocket (yellow pouch)
2) buy black phone case ( red pouch)
3) smaller (in pocket )flash light

4) optional -- thicker belt: I would like this and need to check some out -- I can't even remember how long Iv'e been wearing this one . sure is made well ;- )

Thanks for shareing your ideas ,,, content

Werewolf
September 11, 2009, 04:40 PM
The only thing I noticed you carrying besides the brightly colored junk on yur belt was a little extra weight around the middle. :D

One guy opined that all that multicolored junk made him think GUN! Only a gun guy would think that.

The average Joe and Jane on the street isn't gonna think gun they're gonna wonder where they can get neat stuff like that for themselves.

content
September 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Yep, we are all different and I thank him for it.

Moderator you can end this thread at your pleasure.. Thanks all .

JellyJar
September 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Please get rid of that Ugly Belt! Uh....You are carrying on the right side, correct?:uhoh:

If you don't mind looking sloppy and nerdy then you are just fine. Nerds don't carry, right? :neener:

iiibdsiil
September 11, 2009, 08:32 PM
^ Only light sabers! ;)

kda
September 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
Like jfh, I front pocket carry a small J frame revolver and I use a pocket holster to break up the print. My wife carries in her purse, so she knows weapons, she even knows where I carry my S&W. But when she sees me, she looks and than has to ask ... "are you carrying". Trust me, if she cannot tell, no one is going to notice. Just an idea you may want to consider. Well, she doesn't ask so much lately as she knows I always have it.

jakemccoy
September 11, 2009, 09:03 PM
He doesn't look suspicious to me. I wonder if people here are biased because we have already been informed that the man in the pic is carrying. By the way, where on you is the gun?

freakshow10mm
September 11, 2009, 09:13 PM
It's on his right side I'm pretty sure.

lebowski
September 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
Get a better belt, like something from www.thebeltman.com

Get a better pair of cargo shorts, and move some of that crap into the cargo pockets.

Otherwise, I think you're good. The pouches etc. scream "gun" to gun people, the average person won't notice.

PandaBearBG
September 12, 2009, 12:43 AM
+1 on a better fitting belt, and find an alternative to the brightly colored batman pouches. The extra belt length and bright colors automaticly draw the eyes towards the waist line. Even if you did just that you'd be ok, people now a days have so many gadgets and do dads that belt pouches just look geeky or wall-streety, if you got that suit look. And maybe cut it down to one pouch.

content
September 12, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hello friends and neighbors// nunya

Just kidding : Left side, butt foward, red pouch covers holster clip and the fact my shirt is not really tucked in there. It really does hold my phone. (yellow pouch really does hold camera).

This way I can more easily weak hand draw if need be. . Also block someone trying to grab firearm in crowd or tussle.

Looking at picture red pouch is on right if that is what you mean. Butt is right in front of red pouch as even with top of waistband a possible.

My hogue grips are narrower than cylinder.

=======WHO'S NEXT? ========= ;- )

Sunray
September 12, 2009, 12:51 AM
How you going to get it out in a hurry?

content
September 12, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hello friends and neighbors / More about having it than quick draw.

Its just practice, practice .. and modifications; sometims the holster pulls out with revolver. So I bought an open bottom holster.
I hold speed loader in the back of two middle fingers (left hand ) flashlight in left hand palm under firearm butt.

You can get pretty fast at reloading if you want to put in the time.

When dealing with drawing , shooting , then reloading firearms I think like this.:::

;;;;;Smooth is fast ;;;;;; Slow is smooth ;;;;;;So Slow is Fast;;;;

MarineOne
September 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
Easy way to tell you're carrying .....

Look at the way you're wearing your shorts. The one side is hitched up really high (your right side) while the other rides really low (your left side). The uneven horizontal belt line gives away you're packing a piece, which is too heavy for your belt and what you're wearing.

For shorts/polo style shirt you really need to think along the lines of the J frame size or a pocket piece. How are you going to "one hand grab" or even weak hand grab your weapon if the other is pushing/fighting off a bad guy? For an outfit like this, I'd think you're need something along the lines of a Bursa .380 with a spare mag.

Kris

Sunray
September 12, 2009, 01:41 AM
"...sometimes the holster pulls out with revolver..." That's no good either. Change holsters or how it's being held on your belt.

LoneStarWings
September 12, 2009, 01:45 AM
I wear a similair wardrobe, here's how I roll. The key for me is not letting my shirt get wrapped around the grip of my main pistol. I find myself pulling my shirt tail down every time I get up from a seat, and trying to squat instead of bend over if I need to get something off the floor. With a tucked in shirt it might not be obvious when you need to do that, but with it untucked you can kind of feel some air coming up your back when the shirt wraps around the grip. I think wearing your shirt tail out would help a lot if you can stand to do that. It'd also cover up a lot of your belt gizmos. In addition, I have a kydex belt from comp-tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43) and can't reccomend it enough. Great belt, and it really helps support the holster. A belt like this will keep your pants from sagging on the holster side, to an extent. Also, if you got a black belt you could probably get away without the red pouch to cover the clip.

To be honest you're not doing too bad in my opinion, I couldn't tell you were carrying from the front or the sides. To be honest I thought you were carrying at 3:30 like me, as it looked like your shirt was wrapped around your grip. But you say you're carrying on the left side, grip forward, and I could not see that at all. Nicely done!

doc2rn
September 12, 2009, 02:04 AM
My least gun is an LCP pocket carry of fobus at 3-4 o'clock. I can even wear it with gym shorts, and I dont see the lopsidedness goin on here. I would agree it the belt where level no biggie but offset the way it is screams check me out especially with those eye grabber pouches. My advice buy a better belt.

jakemccoy
September 12, 2009, 03:24 AM
How you going to get it out in a hurry?

A person who pocket carries can walk around with their hand in their pocket on their gun and, thus, halfway drawn. Because of this, pocket carry for me can easily be faster than any other type of carry. Walking around with your hand in your pocket on your gun would be advisable if you're walking in a crowd of people. Meanwhile, there is nothing suspicious about a man strolling around with his hands in his pockets. Walking fast or running with your hands in your pockets, well, that may look suspicious or at least weird. When I see that, however, I just assume the guy wants to keep his keys, wallet and cell phone from flying out of his pockets.

content
September 12, 2009, 08:09 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // Yep ,belt angle is first thing I noticed too.

Of course it is not that way when I leave the house just sags during the day. A new belt is in order and lighter revolver. I chose 586 as do everything firearm and have been very pleased.

Sunray you are absolutly right. /\/\/\ I should have said old holster "pulls off sometimes with ...." this one does fine as clip is almost too strong and goes completely over belt.

I went to range yesterday and put 50 more rounds(in less than 30min) thru rented 638AW. Very accurate for COM or HS at 15' and 25'(( althought twice as wide a group for me at 25'). //\\ I still have to use 2 shots to sort of pick sight line which is bad.

Running target out to 50'and shooting last 5 (out of 50) at little blue man in top left corner :: Thompson Target B27Q - blue Police and FBI Qualification..

1st 2 very low 7" , then 3rd 2'' low right , 4th and 5th were in little man 4"X5"square one even nicked him. So I'm getting more confident with 638AW.
They only have .38 special 125 fmj Blazers for rentals so no problem with recoil.
I have decided on 638 AW and local FFL is getting me a no key somehow.

JakeMccoy ;; I agree, fellow at the range saw me practicing with 638 and says" I have one of those too". Pulled it out of right front pocket and I had no idea it was there.
LoneStarWings,Very nice tech. advise and firearms ///,My local range does not have a 340MP(is that right?) for rent but I like those too. Just more pricey to support .357 platform but worth it I'm sure. . I usually wear cargo shorts like yours. Nylon Hiking shorts were an attempt at worst case and it shows.

Thanks again all ...content

KarenTOC
September 12, 2009, 08:49 AM
You guys saw a lop-sided belt. I saw lop-sided hips lol.

If I were a bad guy looking for a potential target, I would see that extra long belt and think "convenient grab-handle." I'm not skilled in the art of attacking pedestrians, but my guess is that someone up to no good could use it to his advantage.

Justin
September 12, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just get aproper belt and you'll be fine. Galco or Milt Sparks for leather, or one of the Wilderness Instructor belts made of nylon.

content
September 12, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Thanks for the opinions and tips on belt type and suppliers.

KenWP
September 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
It seems to me being made as you say is the idea in mind. Your not wearing a gun in hopes of useing it your wearing a gun so that you don't have to use it. Makes no sense to wear a gun and walk around all day saying to your self , Man I hope somebody dosn't know I have a gun and starts something so I have to use it. Thats why almost 100% of all cops have never even drawen there guns let alone use them.

danez71
September 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Otherwise, I think you're good. The pouches etc. scream "gun" to gun people, the average person won't notice.
Good point but I wouldnt be worried about "gun people" too much. They're usually the good guys.

However....

Look at the way you're wearing your shorts. The one side is hitched up really high (your right side) while the other rides really low (your left side). The uneven horizontal belt line gives away you're packing a piece, which is too heavy for your belt and what you're wearing.

To me the colored pouches do 2 things... stand out and draw my attention. Both good and bad. Draws my attention away from the gun (good) but stands out so much that it draws even more attention to the uneven belt (belt)

Also, to me, when a shirt is very unevenly tucked in, it stands out.

Those 2 things really get my attention.

longdayjake
September 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
I personally don't care if I imprint at all. I was trained with a regular police holster and it kind of gave me the notion that I carry a gun to protect myself and others if I have to. The last thing I care about when I wear a gun is if it is hidden well enough. If it is comfortable enough and it meets the law then I am good to go. However, I don't spend a lot of time in public areas while I am armed. If I were going to a lot of parties or something then maybe I would worry, but just driving back and forth from work and home and maybe a store or two is not enough exposure to worry me.

Cards81fan
September 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
People see what they know. Cell phone case? nah, must be a spare magazine. Wallet bulge? nuh uh - obviously a pocket pistol. Key lumpiness? nope, must be a speed loader. Fannypack? obviously hiding a mini-arsenal.

I agree with all of that except the fanny pack. To me , fanny pack just always screams "gun," at least here in Oklahoma.

If you enjoyed reading about "Imprint test 101 Asking the experts here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!