Conversational Question

PDA

Eschaton
September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM
I pose a question for the wonderful people here.

How do you decide which gun you want to buy next?

I've had my pistol for barely two months and I love it to bits because it's exactly what I wanted. But I still find myself online everyday looking at more pistols trying to decide what I want.

Do you go by caliber, maker, looks, etc...?

How do you decide?

If you enjoyed reading about "Conversational Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
September 11, 2009, 12:03 AM
I buy a lot of guns because I think they're cool. I just try to buy the ones that are both cool and reliable, durable, and accurate.

cyclopsshooter
September 11, 2009, 12:09 AM
i cruise for good deals on smith wheel guns and colt 1911s... as long as they are not nickel :)

jeepmor
September 11, 2009, 12:10 AM
I spend too much time on THR reading threads of guns, then go find what it is I want.

I still don't have a 1911, but if I get one, it's probably gonna have to be a 10mm.

Since my son was born and I took the new job, now I really just want the time to go shoot any of my guns. I don't really want to buy more without getting rid of a couple. I like the ones I have now, don't get me wrong, but there's a couple I'm not in love with that I could easily part with so I could go "find" my new love, or at least search for it.

I'm now to the point that I want a heavy hitter like a 454 casull or similar. I just like that stout recoil for some reason, makes me all giddy and such. Although, I do have a 10mm fetish. A 610 revolver would be real nice since I wouldn't have to go hunting for the brass.

The number of people who mix up the words "than" and "then" boggles the mind...
Oh brother, I've seen so many professional writers foul this one up it makes me sick.

mustang_steve
September 11, 2009, 12:21 AM
I look for something that interests me. I already have a 9mm pistol, and will soon have a T/C Contender...then next up is either a 22 pistol or revolver (that will cut down on range costs drastically, shoot a 9mm mag every session to keep in practice, but work on trigger technique on the 22).

My next medium caliber firearm will probably be a Walther PPK. I've always wanted a James Bond Gun. :) I'd love to get a Tokarev T33 though, they seem to BE the ugly stick, but they feel so nice in the hand.

Deus Machina
September 11, 2009, 12:29 AM
All of the above.

My first gun was "I want something to carry", decided I wanted 9mm (cheap to practice with), and went to the gun shop. Looked through all the reputable guns until I found something that just seemed like it belonged.

Decided I wanted a .22 rifle, kept an eye out, and one day at Dick's I just thought "Hey, a lever-action looks fun!" So now I've got a Henry.

Call them informed impulse buys. Save the money, do the research one what you want a gun to do, and try everything in that category until your brain just goes "That's it!"

Fish_Scientist
September 11, 2009, 12:31 AM
I generally buy for function rather than as a collector. For example, I had been saving for a high-power rifle for elk hunting for some time and bought a beautiful used (first year production; older than I am!) Remington 700 .30-06 today. Next up will likely be a back up to my Glock 22. After that, I'd like to add a semi-auto rifle (i.e., SKS) to my "collection". If, by then, I have a real job and am not just a graduate student, I may start buying for funzies (.45 1911, probably) rather than just purchase functional (for me) weapons.

Steven

PT1911
September 11, 2009, 12:35 AM
OH COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED IT...

that is about the gist of it.

content
September 11, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // Tool for job or safe Queen

All my firearms are shooters. My holy grail is Ferguson breech loading rifle.

Ltp0wer
September 11, 2009, 12:46 AM
I keep a gun wishlist text document.
The guns are ordered from most to least wanted, and anytime I hear about a gun I think I'd like, I add it to the list.

Avenger29
September 11, 2009, 12:49 AM
I buy guns to fill roles. I pretty much have my roles filled, so I probably won't be buying anything new for a long while, except a pocketable .357 revolver. When buying to fill that particular role, I do serious research and buy the most suitable firearm to fill that role. No gun in my safe is the result of a mistake or impulse purchase.

.22 handgun? Check. S&W Model 34-1 Kitgun
Full size handgun? Check. Ruger Security Six
Fighting rifle? Check. AR-15.
Fighting shotgun? Check. Remington 870
Hunting rifle? Check. Marlin 336.
Sporting shotgun? Check and check (and I don't even use 'em to sport with!). Moss. Maverick 88 and Winchester 1300.
.22 rifles? Bolt CZ-452 and 10/22, both check. I put the most mileage on these and the S&W .22.

Eightball
September 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
Do you go by caliber, maker, looks, etc...?Yes. Mixed in with some of Avenger's wisdom, and you pretty much have it. I figure out what holes in my collection need filling, then research to find out exactly what I want/need to fill that spot (on a mechanical basis), and then I find the one that fits me the best or looks the most awesome, because let's face it: If all other things are equal, you're probably going to decide to go for the one that looks cooler/more fun/whatnot.

Tim the student
September 11, 2009, 01:12 AM
Depends if I have a void that needs to be filled.

Other than that, it depends on what catches my eye I guess. Cost to shoot and how much I will actually use it play a role too.

A .416 may be cool, but I would shoot it very seldom, while another Garand will get shot lots for much less.

X-Rap
September 11, 2009, 01:19 AM
I keep a list of guns that I have no use or wish for. The others are all fair game when found.

paintballdude902
September 11, 2009, 01:27 AM
ummmm when i see a gun that looks cool i do soem research and learn about it then if i can i buy it if i cant i buy somethin cheaper like if i wanted an ar it wont happen on a college kid budget so id buy maybe an sks thats how i do it but right now my heart is set on a galil so im saving all my change for one

KarenTOC
September 11, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have a wish-list that I sorta-kinda follow.

I was given an old Colt Huntsman .22lr pistol. Shooting? What pure, unadulterated fun! Replacement parts? A different story. So I "needed" to buy a .22lr pistol I could shoot without worrying about parts. Wasn't on my list, but... welcome to the family, Mr Ruger.

My son gave me a set of crimson trace grips which i put on my S&W 10-5 snubby. Cool... but ugly. I mean, totally unbalanced looking. All back and no front. So I "needed" to buy a K-frame revolver that would look better with my grips. Wasn't on the list, but welcome to the family, Mr 19-3 with the 4" bbl.

My wish list contained the PPK/s that I wanted "needed." So when I found it, I snatched it up. Welcome Herr Walther to the family. Interarms, stainless steel, .380 auto. Nice. But then I got to thinking... they also come in .32 and .22lr versions. And don't forget the blue version. And the german-made version. And the s&w version... now i "need" a representative from each group just so I have all the variants. They're still listed.

The .22lr pistol is great... so now I "need" a .22lr revolver. This is #1 on the list.

Then there was the Colt Cobra that I saw from the corner of my eye at the gun shop that wasn't even on my wish list. Blue, 3" bbl. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." Welcome to the family, Mr Colt. I like my new cobra so much, I've decided I "need" a Colt Detective Special. It's now on the list.

And that's how I pick new guns.

(To paraphrase Harry Potter: "The owner doesn't choose the gun; the gun chooses the owner.")

Sav .250
September 11, 2009, 07:59 AM
"Want and need." Oh, ya, money. At the moment I`m in remission. :)

mcdonl
September 11, 2009, 08:16 AM
Depends if I have a void that needs to be filled.

Same here... I am purpose oriented first and I have not filled all of my voids....

I wanted to have the following categories....

Carry pistol
Large Caliber Revolver
Full Size Semi (Non-1911)
.22 Revolver
Hunting Rifle
AR/AK
Shot Gun
.22 Rifle
C&R Rifle
Pistol Caliber Carbine

Once I have all of them filled... (I need a 1911 still....) it is a matter of what is available in my price range. I have no specific brand, just purposes.

If you ahve just purched your first pistol you may want to consider a .22 pistol as you can shoot it a lot. But, bottom line is your screwed :) you will find reasons for needing a gun.

Good luck and happy shooting.

snorky18
September 11, 2009, 08:50 AM
I keep a gun wishlist text document.
The guns are ordered from most to least wanted, and anytime I hear about a gun I think I'd like, I add it to the list.

I do the same thing, the problem is the list never gets shorter, only longer :D

My list is somewhat purpose oriented as well. Although if I find a smoking deal on something further down the list or not even on the list I may jump on it.

daskro
September 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Make a list every year, update it every six months, buy accordingly.

Although sometimes the "I want it" factor kicks in. Didn't have a ak-74 on my list, now I have one, a dozen mags and 5000+ rounds of ammo.

Madcap_Magician
September 11, 2009, 09:18 AM
It's usually roles for me. But there's more and more of those as time goes on, and sometimes something just catches my fancy, or there's a feature that's not on the gun I have now that I suddenly decide is important.

I started out looking for a carry gun and ended up with both a Kel-Tec P32 and a Kahr P9. The Kel-Tec was a pain to shoot, and only fed ball ammo. Plus it was a .32, and after an experience where I had a bullet stopped by a 2 x 4, I knew I needed a bigger pocket gun. The Kahr was easy to conceal, but like Kahr polymer guns occasionally do, it had reliability issues. Admittedly, I was still in the break-in period, but I think a gun should be reliable out of the box. Plus it was only a 9mm, and for a 9mm, it was really snappy. And the capacity was low.

The "Only a 9mm" thing really irked me, so my next carry gun was a .357 magnum SP101. Which was then TOO bulky, with the CT grips that grabbed my shirt and made it impossible to conceal.

Next gun was a S&W 642, which I still have and occasionally carry, because of the concealability issue. The 642 disappears, and I had good ammo for it, so I didn't feel as bad about the .38 thing.

But there was still the capacity thing... so now I have a full-size S&W M&P .40 cal.

But the M&P is a strict working gun, and gosh darn it, it's not that pretty... so now I want a Sig P229 or P228 user that I can make all pretty with new bluing and pretty grips and new sights...

You get the idea.

madcratebuilder
September 11, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hell, I buy them all. Three or four guns a year for forty years well fill your safe.

LeonCarr
September 11, 2009, 09:32 AM
Sometimes they just fall into your lap, guy at work has a gun and needs money to pay bills, etc.

Sometimes you have a buddy that has one, you shoot it, you like it, you go buy one :).

Sometimes it is just impluse buying. You see it, you like it, you go buy one :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

CoRoMo
September 11, 2009, 09:40 AM
Needs come first, and they are listed in order of importance.

I have to fill the voids in my collection with the right tools for each purpose. For instance, my next gun will be a Beretta Urika 12ga. because I don't have a good bird gun. After that, I'm going to look to outfit my wife's needs. She needs a carbine and a couple handguns. After that, it'll be a .30 caliber hunting rifle, or another carbine, or handgun, etc. I don't plan too far out there with precise specifics, but as I get closer, it comes into focus.

I don't buy guns that don't fill a purpose, and I don't buy guns on a whim.

DHJenkins
September 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
I have a list in mind of what I want, and basically wait until I find a good deal and buy that one.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
I go by a few things.

First is reliable, I simply won't buy any gun that's cheap or junk. Second, interest. I like Communist and Cowboy guns, two different worlds with a lot of interest for me. It's cool to know, and one hell of a conversation piece.

BULLSI
September 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
It was decided by what will I use it for. The first few was self defense, home defense along with quality / reliability. Then different caliber and if it would be fun to shoot came into play.

Now since I am running out of calibers I guess it would be more of a cool factor, fun to shoot, quality / reliability.

I bought my 44 magnum that I was looking at and debating on the price
because another customer that was at the gun store said "everybody should own a 44 magnum at least once in their lives" I said that he was probably right, stopped thinking about it and bought it.

Justin
September 11, 2009, 01:43 PM
I've pretty much satisfied my interest in owning this-or-that firearm just because I think it's cool. At this point, for my interest to be piqued, it has to be for a firearm that can fill a defined need, or to allow me to compete in a specific game.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 01:56 PM
In the ideal world, I'd start with a purpose. If I were going to Wyoming for a prarie dog hunt, I'd start looking for a super-accurate varmit rifle, probably a Savage in .223 Remington with a good scope.

But in the real world, I can walk down to the basement and pull whatever gun I need off the rack. So my decisions are mostly based on three factors:

1. I've always wanted one of those.
2. It's a good price.
3. I have a little extra cash this month.

Werewolf
September 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
About 80% of my guns fill a role; HD, SD, IPSC, CAS
The rest...

I read a post on a forum and think - that's cool - I want one of those. New gun

Or

Someone asks me if I want to shoot a gun they're shooting at the range. That's how I ended up with my Garand (who knew - no prior interest in owning a Garand at all - in fact my thoughts on the subject were why would anyone want one of those?) and my .44 Mag. Both of those are among what I call my fun guns.

jakemccoy
September 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm still rounding out my collection of utilitarian guns. So, I just decide what gun is the next most useful. Currently, that would be a .22lr pistol, and I usually like to get two of the same gun.

Erik M
September 11, 2009, 06:14 PM
I usually see something a friend or family member has bought, notice an ad in a magizine that sparks my intrest. Then I have to go to a gun store and put my hands on one, do online research. Hopefully the person I know lets me get some range time with the weapon Im after.

Im currently after a 9mm PT92 in nickel.

Avenger29
September 12, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hell, I buy them all. Three or four guns a year for forty years well fill your safe.

I've been buying/acquiring at an average rate of two per year. This year, I've brought 3 and sold 2 that just did not suit me well, so now I truly am down to essential guns.

gunnutery
September 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
I buy different guns to fill different purposses. Even within one type of firearm (handguns, rifles, shotguns) there are many different uses depending on caliber, barrel length, capacity, range and so on. So that's what I do, I find the next gun to fill a roll (plinking, hunting, CCW, or just for fun). I've had as many as 13 guns so far and still haven't found myself stopping to look to fill another roll.

Thanks for the question.

chuckusaret
September 13, 2009, 01:10 AM
I have all the required SD and HD weapons, now I buy what catches my eye and/or looks neat. I just bought two Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifles, two so my son and I can compete, and because I heard they were fun to shoot. Hey two rifles, 440 rounds of ammo, quart of Hoppe's 9 for $325.24 which is less than the cost of 500 rounds of .223 ammo for the Mini 14. Will shoot them this week end.

Quilbilly
September 13, 2009, 01:25 AM
Like DHJenkins I have made a list in my head that I want (I admit the list does change often). Each thing on my list is well thought out and for a different purpose or to get one in a caliber that I do not have yet. I would not consider, for instance, a glock 27 even though I think it's cool because I already have a Springfield XD40. I will keep on like this untill I have basically one of every type of firearm....then Ill get that G27.

jnyork
September 13, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'll know it when I see it. :D

jr4521
October 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
Read and research, then make my choice on something reliable ,fun and it has to have the I need it now appeal!

InkEd
October 24, 2009, 10:57 AM
You should buy whatever appeals to you.

Personally, I like to buy guns to fill various roles. This for ccw. That for home defense. This for plinking. That for pocket carry. Etc.

eye5600
October 24, 2009, 11:07 AM
Good advice above, but to add a notion.

If you tend to buy guns on a 'just caught my eye' basis, then you are really making a collection, and a collection makes more sense if it has some kind of theme. Hardly matters what, though. Two more more 1911s is a 1911 collection, two or more Brownings is a Browning collection, etc. Collections tend to be more satisfying if there is quality. A HiPoint Carbine and a Kel-Tec pistol don't make much of a basis for a collection. (If the pistol and the carbine came from the same manufacturer, then perhaps it does.)

ohioshooter
October 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
I want pretty much everything so I i see what I can afford at the time I'm really wanting another gun.

Dambugg
October 24, 2009, 12:28 PM
The first thing I consider is caliber. I want to be able to buy the ammunition preferrably in surplus. Second I consider the gun makers reputation. Third I ask myself "why do I want this". I have two babies so if I drop money on a gun I need a good reason to do so. My must have list is very short. I feel a new wind coming however as I start considering that in a couple years it will be time to take the kids shooting/hunting. So the must have list is bound to increase. Two babies needing a .22, a shotgun, and a deer rifle. That's a lot of gun shooping.

TexasBill
October 24, 2009, 02:10 PM
I've owned so many guns over the past 39 years I couldn't begin to tell you why I bought them all. Some were duty weapons, some were off-duty weapons, some were guns I'd always wanted and some were guns that were just "cool."

I guess these days "cool" rules. Otherwise I have trouble explaining why I bought a Beretta CX4 instead of a Ruger Mini-14. Of course, having the "cool" CX4, I had to get a PX4 to go with it. Even my wife understood.

There are a few guns still on my list:

Walther PK380: nice, compact CCW for just a little more than a Ruger LCP.

Ruger Mini-14: No home should be without one.

S&W Model 22, Model of 1917 .45ACP: I can't explain this one; I just think this old service revolver is cool and I can get the 1917-style holster from El Paso Saddlery. Heck, I might even find a lanyard for it.

Mauser/Interarms P08 in 9mm: I have owned a few Lugers and wish I still did. There are few weapons that feel as good in the hand as the old German sidearm.

Vern Humphrey
October 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
Model of 1917 .45ACP: I can't explain this one; I just think this old service revolver is cool and I can get the 1917-style holster from El Paso Saddlery.
While you're at it, get a horse, a McClellan saddle and a campaign hat -- that would kick the "cool" factor way up there.

The only thing I lack is the McClellan saddle -- albeit my revolver is a Colt New Service in .45 Colt -- closer to the M1909 than the M1917.

eye5600
October 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
Another idea is that you might buy a gun as a step in learning something.

As in most any hobby, you do well to buy something inexpensive to see if you like the hobby, to build up some preferences. For example, if you wonder if you might like pistol target shooting. you buy a $250 .22 to try it out. It helps figure out what kind of more expensive gun you want later on. It could be centerfire, or it could be a much better .22.

David E
October 25, 2009, 06:54 PM
How do you decide which gun you want to buy next?

It depends what I want to do.

Do I want to hunt? Plink? Compete? Carry ?

Once I define the "what" I want to do, I consider what I may already have that may fill that role, either as is, or with some gunsmithing. If I still have a niche to fill, then I look at what will fill it within my price range.

Some things I consider is caliber and if I have what it would take to support it. For example, a .357 Sig might fill the same niche as a .40, but I don't want to commit to another caliber right now.....unless, of course, I was just so enamored with the .357 Sig that buying ammo for it is understood.

Of course, sometimes, a super-buy or that "I've always wanted one of those" comes along that isn't what you're looking for, but it's too good of a deal to pass up.......so you buy it and start saving again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conversational Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!