Have you seen handgun parts fail?

PDA

FullEffect1911
September 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
A question I have rattling around in my head cannot be answered by my experiences alone. So I pose this question.

Have you ever personally seen or experienced a part in any handgun fail? If so what handgun was it and what was the failure? Did it render the handgun inoperable until the part was fixed?

I am not considering "jams" in this, only broken parts. This question applies to both revolvers and semi-autos.

I have never personally seen a part break in a handgun, which probably means I have not shot enough of them. ETA: wait scratch that, I broke a recoil assembly in a Ruger Mark3 once on reassembly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you seen handgun parts fail?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
September 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, I have. Revolvers, semi-autos and single shots all fail in more ways than I can enumerate. I have experienced failures in all three types from broken or worn out parts. If it moves it will wear and break, if it is subjected to pressure and/or stress, it will break. More often than not it can be traced back to human caused, and I don't mean just using it, I mean abuse and/or neglect or workmanship in manufacture and assembly and end users foolishness.

ichiban
September 11, 2009, 11:16 AM
Grip safety on a SA 1911 broke internally. The gun still fired but the safety was strictly ornamental after that. It taught me to check the safeties regularly.

FullEffect1911
September 11, 2009, 11:26 AM
MMCSRET- Just wondering but are you by chance a gunsmith?

Grip safety on a SA 1911 broke internally. The gun still fired but the safety was strictly ornamental after that. It taught me to check the safeties regularly.

Wow, that isn't a part I would have expected to break. Thank you for the reply.

cyclopsshooter
September 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
had a 1911 firing pin break

10X
September 11, 2009, 11:49 AM
A new S&W 27-2, first box of shells, failed. Upon disassembly the hammer stud sheared off. I sent it back to S&W who replaced the stud and renickeled the gun. It was very, very accurate but shot 12" low at 25 yards with the highest sight setting. I got rid of it.

I had a new S&W 41 quit firing in the first 150 rounds. I sent it into S&W. After it was returned, it quit again in the first two boxes of shells. I sent it back a second time. After that it worked fine.

Because of the above, I haven't bought a S&W since 1979.

bp78
September 11, 2009, 11:53 AM
Start shooting IDPA or USPSA matches, you'll see all kinds of part failures:
Personally seen:
1911 sear spring fail, (hammer follow)
1911 Ejector bend and seize a slide (STI MIM)
1911 Extractor break
1911 Front Sight break
2 Magazine floor plates break spewing rounds on the ground.

Me and my usual friends all shoot 1911s hence the 1911 list. You see failures in Glocks, M&Ps, CZ's at matches but I'm not close enough to those to say I saw a break first hand. No doubt you see a lot more ammo problems at matches too, mostly shoddy reloads.

Lee Roder
September 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
yep, hammer and trigger studs in a revolver here - can't wait for the stud fixing the rebound slide to go! the cylinder stop stud, not being highly stressed, will probably last forever.

Crow1108
September 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
Kimber 1911: Slide stop developed a small crack. Also grip safety doesn't work, in the same manner as Ichiban's SA 1911. Still need to call them about it (been pretty busy lately).

Glock 35: Front sight fell out during a range trip. Lost it, bought another, and it hasn't happened since (friend owns the gun now, and it's still intact.) It also hasn't happened on any other Glocks I have owned (a 21C before I owned the 35, and my current Glock 19)

AK103K
September 11, 2009, 12:22 PM
A couple of 1911's with inoperative grip safeties, broken extractors and front sights falling off.

A Glock 17 that continued to not "let off" when the trigger was pulled, even after a couple of trips back to Glock to repair it.

Interarms PPK/S that had a continual problem with the hammer following the slide down.

Two S&W 940's, the original, and its factory replacement, both that locked up due to internal parts breakage before the 200 round mark.

A couple of broken "hands" on others.

Ruger SA's with virtually no cylinder gap that would constantly bind up after one or two cylinders full of ammo.

Back before Loc Tite...

Cylinder retaining screw backed out on my Model 29, allowing the cylinder to drop off the gun during a reload.

Ejector rods backing out, not allowing the cylinder to open, tying up the gun.

highlander 5
September 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
Had the transfer bar on a Ruger Blackhawk break once. The hook on the hammer that connects to the mainspring on my Redhawks break on a semi regular basis.

GRIZ22
September 11, 2009, 12:37 PM
I was a LE firearms instructor for almost 30 years so I saw many breakages in revolvers and semi-autos. Most were not predictable which is the best argument for a BUG. I oversaw thousands of guns in my time and failed parts are not that common in quality fireaarms. I have also seen guns that have gun 30 years or more of regular use (say about 1000 rds a year) that have never failed. Being mechanical things some are more durable than others and when a part fails is usually directly related to how much use it gets. Some observations:

Rugers- The only Ruger I ever had a part fail was my P90. The spring for the mag release broke causing the mag to fall out while I was qualifying. Once this was ascertained, I finished qualifying by holding the mag in with my left palm. Sent FEDEX overnight to Ruger on Monday got it back that Wednesday.

S&Ws- Timing issues with revolvers that had been well used (some for 20 years a few new) and frames cracks in alloy frame 9mms.

Colts- Revolvers, timing issues and not easy to fix. My Combat Commander started dropping the hammer to half cock after about 20K rounds. Had it rebuilt and only small internals replaced. All major compoenets still in use. Barrel is fine but I shoot mostly lead bullets so no wear issue there.

I've seen a brand new Python where the hammer was whacking the frame on the way down and took factory 4 months to fix it (this was in the 70s).

Glocks- front sights fall off and I've seen recoil spring guides break and a few broken extractors.

rbernie
September 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
I've had broken bits in a S&W Model 15 lockwork (can't recall which piece shed a chunk o' metal) jammed up the rebound slide, rendering the handgun inop. I've also broken the firing pin in an Astra A70.

M2 Carbine
September 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
Have you seen handgun parts fail?
Yes. Way too many to list.
Guns are inexpensive, mass produced pieces of machinery that take quite a beating. What's suprising is guns don't fail a lot more often.

This was the last failure I had a couple months ago.
Micro Desert Eagle.
The slide cracked sometime within a 19 shot string. I didn't know the slide had cracked until I was cleaning the gun. (Magnum Research made it good)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/MDEcrackedslide.jpg

Heck, I had a brand new Ruger Mark II that would fire when the thumb safety was moved from Safe to Fire.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 11, 2009, 01:33 PM
I've seen the slide stop spring break on a couple of pistols. It results in both the slide not locking back when it should as well as occasionally locking when it shouldn't. Since the little piece of metal is just flopping around, it randomly catches the slide while shooting.

FullEffect1911
September 11, 2009, 02:16 PM
Thank you all for the posts so far, it's been very informative for me. Also that is quite the picture of a cracked slide, pretty interesting stuff, and I glad Magnum Research made it right.

What I am surprised to see is that there is quite a few revolver issues here as well, not what I would have expected really. I'm glad I posted this and hope to see even more responses.

MMCSRET
September 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
No, I'm not a gunsmith. I mechanic my own guns, thats all, I've pretty well figured out how to do most everything except weld and I have a friend that is an artist when it comes to the "blackmagicartofburningmetel"

obiwan1
September 11, 2009, 04:17 PM
Beretta 96D - broken trigger return spring
- broken firing pin safety spring
- cracked frame

raz-0
September 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
broken strikers on M&P and glock
broken firing pins on AR and 1911
broken slide stop on 1911, cz
screwed up timing and ejectors on S&W revolvers
broken welds on bomar sights on s&w revolver
broken springs in just about anything
broken extractor on 1911, 2011, cz, XD, glock, remington 700, etc.
broken ejector on 700, ar, 1911
cracked slide on glock, 1911
broken bottom lugs on 1911 barrels.
Pretty much every adjustable sight will eventually break after too many cycles.
glock front sights bite the dirt all the time.

I shoot USPSA at a couple fairly active clubs. As one USPSA guy put it "we don't shoot guns, we wear them out." A lot of these failures are often jsut a matter of what wears out first after lots and lots of rounds.

mesinge2
September 11, 2009, 05:49 PM
My first gun was a Cobra Patriot .45ACP. I took it shooting the day I bought it. I had a jam every round. Well, more of a lock-up. It would feed but the trigger would not reset after a shot was fired. Everyshot. I'd have to pull the slide back about an 8th of an inch to reset the trigger. I went right back to the store I purchased it from, and got rid of it.

EAA Windicator, the frame split under the forcing cone, sent it for repair, got it back in three months and trigger was not resetting without pulling it. Sent it again, another two months. Now, it sits in a box and I don't know what to do with it.

searcher451
September 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
Brand new Beretta Tomcat, after 66 rounds, when the trigger crapped out entirely and then fell apart, literally. It would have been laughable, were the (*#^@( gun not so #*(*#@() expensive to begin with.

CapnMac
September 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Actually broken parts, only two, both 1911 collet bushings. One dropped a collet finger 9adn did not stop shooting. The other was a replacement collet bushing that developed a 9 o'clock crack between fingers (still have that one as a backup).

Had the recoil buffer block come loose in a Camp 45, but that just needed epoxy to put back right.

Had a Taurus auto that was pure single action, the hammer would not stay back after firing (was not meant to be an SAO). Turned out to be misaligned frame holes for trigger & sear pins--traded it for something that worked, and Taurus fixed for the next customer (with a new frame).

Ohio Rusty
September 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
I was shooting a new Taurus revolver that looked like a 4 inch model 10. On the 2nd or 3rd cylinder of 38's, the frame cracked from the top of the strap at the hammer all the way down to the trigegr housing !! That was scary ...... Taurus pot metal guns .....
After that ...I swore off Taurus and stayed with either Colt or S&W.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Country_boy_88
September 11, 2009, 07:04 PM
Dang M2 thats one heck of a crack.

Im glad my ruger has never done that either :scared:

GRIZ22
September 11, 2009, 07:19 PM
I was shooting a new Taurus revolver that looked like a 4 inch model 10. On the 2nd or 3rd cylinder of 38's, the frame cracked from the top of the strap at the hammer all the way down to the trigegr housing !! That was scary ...... Taurus pot metal guns .....
After that ...I swore off Taurus and stayed with either Colt or S&W.

I listed some of the more common failures I've seen above. I did see a S&W M66 cylinder blow up after 400 rds of magnums. I haven't sworn off S&Ws. There are lemons everywhere by every manufacturer.

Coyote3855
September 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ruger Vaqueros heavily used (but not abused) in Cowboy Action Shooting. Broken hand, broken hammer plunger spring, one each.

austinjking
September 11, 2009, 08:15 PM
Sear spring broke on a P226. It just happens sometimes. Parts wear down and break

Ron James
September 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Brand new Model 36, with in 3 months, broken hammer stud and couple weeks later broken trigger stud. Messed up my little military mind at the time, never had it happen before. Since then, perfect, not one problem. Anything mechanical will break sooner or later, even when brand new. .:banghead:

possum
September 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
i have experienced 2 parts breakages on my personal guns, i will not go into stuff that i have seen or heard and don't have the full story.
1) my xd service model. the trigger bar broke while training, at the time it had 4,280 ish rds through it. i pulled the trigger and nothing happened, tap rack nothing etc, i cleared it and locked the slide back however i couldn't disassemble it. after inspection i could see through the top of the slide that the trigger bar was broken. this was a gun that i had done some serious torture testing on and i think over time that is what caused ot to break. it was sent to sa they fixed it, refinished my gun in armor kote, and put a set of night sights on it for cost and it has been running hard ever since over 16,000rds now.

2) on my sa mc operator 1911, i had a broken extractor at a little over 3,000rds, i took it to the smith he put in a ed brown hardcore model and it was good to go after that.

WoofersInc
September 11, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have had 2 parts fail. The first was an extractor in a Bushmaster AR pistol. I took out the mag and ran the bolt 3-4 times but made the mistake of not looking in the chamber. I pulled the trigger and.... Needless to say I will not do that again. However I did have the gun pointed in a safe direction so no damage to anything. The other broken part was in a rifle. I had a Springfield M1A that would not take a case out after firing. Once again it was an extractor that was cracked. I have also seen several failures at the range. Mostly broken firing pins and such.

M2 Carbine
September 11, 2009, 10:02 PM
Dang M2 thats one heck of a crack.

Im glad my ruger has never done that either :scared:

I talked to Magnum Research just this morning. I wanted to get some extra buffers. I shoot the gun a fair amount and the buffer doesn't seem to last to long.
They said they have the cracked slide problem solved but in any case they said if the slide is going to crack it will do it in about 50 rounds. Mine cracked in 150-160 rounds.
I've got confidence in the gun now.

Speaking of cracked slides. The slide cracked twice on a Taurus PT22 I owned and my friend's PT22 slide cracked once.

Confederate
September 11, 2009, 10:43 PM
Yep, I was out with a brand new .44 mag Interarms Virginia Dragoon revolver years ago and had the hammer shatter like glass when I dropped the hammer. It was obviously heat treated poorly. And I had the thumb latch of a new stainless Rossi 88 .38 Spc rust over (turned out to be standard non-stainless). Both were replaced and caused no further problems.

hexidismal
September 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
Three that I can think of right off the top of my head in the last couple years. I had a S&W 686 trigger bust a piece off internally, as well as the much bigger problem of a hammer post on a 629 completely snap off (the same day I bought it no less). Also had the safety lever on a Baby Eagle shear off from its internal rod. ( In fact the baby eagle is still broken because Magnum Research cust. service are jerks )

Stuff breaks.

zt77
September 12, 2009, 12:17 AM
I bought a used taurus m94 .22lr revolver. i had the papers showing it had been to the factory twice before, so i can assume this one in particular was a lemon- just a lot of problems. the hammer stud broke from the frame and they replaced it free- eight months later. brand new gun :) sold it, got a s&w model 18 and never felt better about it.

SharpsDressedMan
September 12, 2009, 01:19 AM
The hammer spur fell off the hammer on my brother's "Dirty Harry Special", a new S&W Model 29 with 6.5" barrel, back in the 1980's. Just a bad piece of steel.......

bigfatdave
September 12, 2009, 01:28 AM
I had a Ruger mkIII sear pivot pin break, it may have been broken from the factory, or I may have taken it from a slightly damaged condition to broken when I was having re-assembly issues (hammer wouldn't stay cocked because the sear was crooked and trapped against the frame).
Whether Ruger sent out a dud or I made a slightly weak pin into a broken pin ... Ruger sent me a replacement free, and would have overnighted it if I hadn't stopped them from doing so (I was heading out of town, so it wasn't getting reassembled for a few weeks no matter how fast a new pin arrived)

I'm seeing three Ruger .22 failures in this thread, but that's probably more due to every gun safe having a Ruger or seven in it than an indication of the Ruger mkI/II/III being frail.

Pietro Beretta
September 12, 2009, 02:09 AM
I had the thumb safety break at the pivot point, I had a much older one fitted soon after. Then the firing pin broke about a week later on my spanking new COLT XSE.

I put it back in its case for about 2 years before I got around to sending it in, when I did the frame and grip safety were full of rust. (Im and idiot)

I should be getting it back any day now, and what do you know COLT refinished the firearm free of charge.

Bix
September 12, 2009, 02:23 AM
I've observed a number of breakages, but only experienced a handfull. The one I have a shot of is the locking block pin that went on my G34:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54944&d=1174054808

FullEffect1911
September 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm seeing three Ruger .22 failures in this thread, but that's probably more due to every gun safe having a Ruger or seven in it than an indication of the Ruger mkI/II/III being frail.

The breakage I had with my Ruger .22 can be directly traced back to operator error. I put a little to much muscle into trying to get the mainspring in one day on a newer gun and the recoil assembly "ears" got in the way of my manhandling. Snap they went, but easy to replace.

Anywho, thank you everyone for posting thus far.

MR.G
September 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Had a Colt Cobra with internal parts breakage years ago. Don't know exactly what broke since I didn't take it apart.

Leanwolf
September 12, 2009, 04:35 PM
On my Colt Single Action Frontier .45 Colt, 2nd gen., a broken sear and bolt spring. Broken hand on another.

Have a good friend who owns a Colt Single Action Frontier .44 Sp. 3rd gen., who was shooting it and the tiny pin that pins the firing pin to the hammer came out and the firing pin dropped onto the ground.

Years ago I was standing beside a Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept. cadet, shooting during an Academy firearms training session. That was when LASD issued the S&W Combat Masterpiece, Model 15, .38 Sp. He called for an instructor and said his firearm "stopped shooting." The instructor examined it and the trigger had broken off where it entered the frame. That was a brand new revolver issued to that cadet. Might have had a couple of hundred rounds through it.

When I was shooting IPSC, as several above, I've seen various internal broken parts on various handguns.

Anything that moves can break. ;)

L.W.

MCgunner
September 12, 2009, 05:22 PM
Three things off hand. I had a forcing cone split on a Smith and Wesson M10 pencil barrel. I had a firing pin, or "hammer nose" as Rossi calls it, break on a Rossi M971, and I had a magazine catch spring break on a Ruger P90. Bought a new heavy barrel for the Smith and had a gunsmith install it, still own the gun. I sent the Rossi to Interarms, came back, busted on the second shot. Took it to my gunsmith and he fixed it. Traded the gun off some years later after several thousand rounds on the new pin. Ruger sent me the P90 mag catch spring in the mail in two days after calling and I installed it, myself. That one happened after about 15+ years of shooting the gun about a year ago. Still have the gun and have NO intention of selling or trading as it's one of my favorites.

That's it, total of my gun failures, and I even own three Taurus revolvers for you bashers out there. Oh, yeah, there was this slide that broke on a Phoenix Arms HP22, but it's a cheap POS and that one don't really count. It's still shooting, though I never shoot it. Have better .22s. Phoenix Arms fixed it with no hassle and promptly I might add and sent a spare magazine with the gun.

bigfatdave
September 12, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm seeing a lot of revolver breakages here, and not a one of them was predictable ... I thought revolvers operated on some magical level not requiring internal parts, and thus could never malfunction.
You folks are almost implying that the revolver is a clockwork mechanism requiring many precision parts working in concert to function properly! That can't be true, because everyone says revolvers aren't ever going to jam or otherwise stop working, and if you get a dud, just advance to the next round, right?

deputy tom
September 12, 2009, 08:33 PM
Kimber 1911.Had the slide stop break in half.They sent me a new one free.tom.

Dave T
September 12, 2009, 09:41 PM
1911s (most all Colts)
Shot off any number of staked on front sights.
Broken 2 slide stops.
Cracked more firing pin stops than I remember.
Cracked 3 alloy Commander frames.
Broke off one tang on the old MKIV collet barrel bushng.

S&W Revolvers
Broke a hand.
Bent an extractor rod.
Snapped off 1/2 of the rear sight blade on a Model 28 (duty gun) hitting a
door frame chasing a guy.
Had a bolt spring fail.

Colt SAA
Broken several sear/bolt springs.
Broke one hand and the spring on another hand.

Glock
Broke the tip of an extractor on a G23.
Lost the Tritium capsule and insert on 2 XS Big Dot sights (not really a Glock failure).

There's probably been some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Dave

MICHAEL T
September 13, 2009, 12:22 AM
Taurus PT 22 plastic grips broke twice
old no brand 1911 mag bottom poped off
extractor broke on a llama
plunger tube broke off again Llama No wonder they closed up

Ltp0wer
September 13, 2009, 02:18 AM
4 hours ago, the decocking/safety lever on my S&W Model 39-2 broke off.

earlthegoat2
September 13, 2009, 06:27 AM
Ive seen a Smith IL fail. Technically this wasnt a breakage but if the lock only failed if part of it broke then the lock would probably never fail.

rhinoh
September 13, 2009, 06:33 AM
Had the head of the disassembly pin break off a Kel_Tec PF9 while firing. KT promptly mailed me a new one, no questions asked.

PO2Hammer
September 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
Broken cylinder lock spring on Freedom Arms Model 97.
Broken cylinder lock spring on Uberti single action .44
Broken firing pin rebound spring on Encore Pistol.

No broken parts on autos even though I shoot them 10X as much. (mostly glocks and 1911's)

Comedian
September 13, 2009, 12:02 PM
Firing pin broke on my H&K USPc while dry firing. Obviously the gun was unable to function until it was replaced.

DR505
September 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
Broken barrel lug - Glock 23
Slide lock lever fell out while shooting - Glock 22
Locking block pin fell out while shooting - Glock 22
Trigger pin fell out while shooting - Glock 22
Broken recoil spring rod - Glock 27 (x3)

This is all over the course of 10 years and thousands of shooters.

MCgunner
September 13, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm seeing a lot of revolver breakages here, and not a one of them was predictable ... I thought revolvers operated on some magical level not requiring internal parts, and thus could never malfunction.

Only applicable to NON Ruger revolvers. :neener:

Broken parts? Well, I didn't list the number of 1911 jams I've had. That's why I don't own one of those POSs anymore. So long as you shoot ball........

I do carry and own autos, though. I also carry and own revolvers. I have little bias, but tend to like revolvers for a lot of things over and above an auto. I will NOT carry an auto hunting (exception, Ruger Mk2 for squirrel hunting) or as a field gun, but I will carry a revolver for self defense. Revolvers are a bit more versatile as I see it.

Noveldoc
September 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Son had a Taurus 45 ACP Millennium Pro. Just before 50th round on new gun it would not fire. He dropped the mag and 2 broken metal pieces fell out.

OK Taurus I may forgive you for having a bad day. But you have had the gun for over 2 weeks and have not even looked at ti yet. And you estimate 3 months for the repair.

We're dumping them based on this crappy service.

Tom

fastbolt
September 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yes, I have.

Having been a LE firearms instructor and armorer I've had my fair share of opportunity to experience and observe parts breakage in firearms. Some of the more common reasons for parts/assembly failure could probably be explained by normal wear and tear; unexpected failure due to an unforeseen problem probably occurring during manufacture; problems resulting from assembly (and sometimes fitting); and problems which likely resulted from someone having tried to 'improve' or 'modify' a firearm.

I wouldn't call it a 'common' occurrence.

There's a reason repair/replacement parts are made, though.

Have you ever heard of a part, or assembly, fail in a motor vehicle?

mustang_steve
September 13, 2009, 05:00 PM
The plastic safety switch on my SCCY CPX-1, I think my screwing with it was the cause though (I re-profiled it to keep it from digging into my fat hands). Given I did get anal about aesthetics and profiled it to look good as well as perform...this meant it may have been too thin to handle the spring tension beneath it.

This time, I'm simply going to measure out the new lever coming in, and hand-machine a reproduction out of some aluminum or brass in the profile needed to fit my hands, then color it to match the original.

The Lone Haranguer
September 13, 2009, 07:52 PM
Have you ever personally seen or experienced a part in any handgun fail? If so what handgun was it and what was the failure? Did it render the handgun inoperable until the part was fixed?

Absolutely. If you've never broken a part in a handgun you haven't shot it enough. :p

My personal disabling parts breakages:

Broken trigger bar springs in two "classic" SIGs. This caused the trigger bar to become disconnected from the trigger, rendering it unable to be pulled. If the gun was held upside down the bar would fall into place and reconnect, but I didn't attempt to fire it this way.

Broken extractor in a SIG 1911 (the first of several, more on this later). With the case unable to extract, the gun became a single-shot. This also happened - on the second shot I ever fired through it - to a Taurus PT945.

Broken slide takedown lock spring in a Glock. The part fell out of the gun's frame and the slide -with the barrel and recoil spring still attached - launched off the front of the frame and into the dirt.

While not a breakage per se, I've had S&W revolver ejector rods loosen and back out. This results in the cylinder binding and unable to be opened without tools. This is definitely disabling if severe enough.

In the same SIG 1911, the little threaded plug in the slide that retains firing pin safety parts came out, resulting in the plunger/actuator and other related parts falling out of the slide. While the gun could continue to be fired and therefore was not disabled, I felt it unsafe to continue.

evan price
September 15, 2009, 03:27 AM
Guns are machines, they break.

Have 2 Sig P220 magazines that cracked the feed lips and a 1911 mag that did the same thing.

KelTec PF9 the disassembly pin sheared the head off. Also the ejector broke.

A vest-pocket .25 auto the firing pin broke the tip off (it's also used as the ejector).

One of my FAL rifles the rat-tail rivit broke and the rat-tail on the bolt carrier came loose.

Mossberg 500 the stock split at the wrist.

Sheldon
September 15, 2009, 06:08 AM
On 1911s I have experienced the front sight pop out, rear sight pin break, collet bushing break, extractor hook shear off, and a slide stop break.

On a Beretta 92FS I have had the barrel locking block break.

On a S&W revolver experienced broken hammer and sear pins.

On a Ruger MKII pistol had the rear handle part of the bolt break off and have the extractor disappear.

usp9
September 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
:banghead: I had pin holding an extractor fall out during practice, causing the extractor to fall off a Sphinx. The pistol malfuntioned after that.

:cuss: A CZ82 lost a slide stop lever spring during shooting. It caused the slide to lock back with each shot.

:fire: Had a mag drop from a Walther PPK/S, but only once... :confused:

backwoodzboy
September 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
I had an H&R pocket revolver possibly 50 to 100 years old that had some bad springs, which broke while cleaning them, a Star 9mm where the firing pin broke which is a common thing I have read, a Byrco 9mm where firing pin had broke on it, a safety that would slide back to the safe position while firing it on a Norinco Tokarev, and one time while trying out a 1911 that I had assembled with parts I traded for at a gunshow, I tried out some handloaded ammo that my buddy gave me, thats when I learned, never never, ever shoot ammo that someone else has reloaded, unless you know them. The stuff was very hot and it destroyed all the parts that I had just put on it. The barrel busted in four places where the cracks ran full length of barrel, the slide split in 2 places from the barrel bushing back to the ejection port, the barrel bushing busted sending my guide rod spring and retainer flying off, and my frame had a couple of places up front that were flaired out. I was very suprised that I had not been hurt or killed, all that from someone elses reloads, not sure what the exact cause was but that it was result of the ammo. It could have even been an obstructed barrel from a bad round. I think that proper cleaning or routine cleaning will help a person to see the condition of their firearm, and familiarize them with it better, as well as the obvious results of helping it run more effectively, efficiently, and safely. But from my humble experience, most problems happen with the age and usage, I respect firearms enough that I do not abuse.

tribbles
September 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
On a Ruger MKII pistol had the rear handle part of the bolt break off and have the extractor disappear.

The bolt on my wife's MkII did the same thing while our friend was shooting it - the rear part flew back and hit him square in the chest. Ruger made it good, though - new bolt, no charge (and this was a gun my wife bought used).

Silent Bob
September 17, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've seen a slide lock spring on a G19 break, the lower lug on a 1911 barrel break off, numerous staked front sights go flying off 1911s, a 1911 extractor hook break off, and more I'm sure of that I can't think of at the moment.

rogertc1
September 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
Colt 1911:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=475241

Lakeshore
September 17, 2009, 09:11 PM
Brand new Ruger P-95 a few years ago. First time I fired it the front sight flew off, turned out it hadn't been pinned on at the factory. Ruger sent two replacement pins but charged me for 'em.

The Lone Haranguer
September 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
I see I am not the only one with Glock slide lock problems.

The lady from Glockmeister who installed my extended slide lock "red flagged" the spring and said there was an upgraded one. Naturally I gave the go-ahead.

Dr.Rob
September 18, 2009, 01:37 AM
Broken extractor on a BHP clone. Thing is until I took it apart you couldn't TELL it was broken. It would fire but not extract, caused all manner of jams. Used spare pistol until I could get a Browning part. No problems since I replaced it.

Bent a guide rod on a custom 1911 with Pro-Load ammo. Guide rod was USGI part, I gave away the Pro-Load ammo. Gun was still functional, but long term use I'd bet would have hammered the gun to bits. Replaced guide rod and recoil spring.

Dad messed up the barrel on a Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter shooting hot loads. The barrel rotated slightly, which caused all manner of confusion. Said HOT loads were backed off after the revolver was repaired. This repair was costly.

Had a custom 1911 have a sear failure, went to load it, hammer followed and the gun went off as it went into battery. Scared the crap out of me, but was obeying the 4 rules so pistol was pointed downrange when it occured. Put pistol away until it could be repaired.

doc2rn
September 18, 2009, 01:45 AM
Three Taurus: Titanium .357, .17 instant backup, and a 9mm Beretta clone which fell apart as the first 15 rds went through it.
One Ruger had a Yolk break on a GP100
One of my .380s had a bad crown NIB
Had a Glock 32 Kaboom on me.

PzGren
September 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
Glock 19 - broken slide lock spring on gun with high round count
Glock 17 - extractor chipped
S&W 22A - about every 20,000 rounds the firing pin breaks
.. . " - claw from the sight rib broke around 50,000 rounds
... " - frame cracked around 60,000 rounds
S&W 38 - thumbpiece broke
S&W 4516- sideplate assembly broke, gun still operable
Colt Customs 1911- extractor claw broke
Peters Stahl .22 unit for SIG P210- firing pin broke

Daizee
September 19, 2009, 02:49 AM
Split MIM thumb safety on a 1911. Mfr replaced it free of charge.

It wasn't quite "broken", but a left-shooting revolver was straightened by the Mfr.

-Daizee

PT1911
September 19, 2009, 03:18 AM
Doc.. I am never going shooting with you!!!!!!!!!!.. that is a rediculous string of unfortunate events.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you seen handgun parts fail?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!