Okay now I am really confused (shipping smokeless cartridge arms to your doorstep?)

PDA

stevekl
September 12, 2009, 12:56 AM
In the back of my mind I want to buy a Finnish Mosin-Nagant, and during my research I heard about http://gunsnammo.com/

This company says they can ship a Finnish Nagant to your door and all you have to provide is a valid driver's license.

Now hold on. I was under the impression that it was impossible to ship a smokeless, cartridge firing weapon unless you had either a FFL or a C&R license. Is that not the case anymore? Did something change or did I just not understand the law at all?

Of course I'm not trying to say it shouldn't be this way, because I am afer a Finn rifle and I would love to cut the FFL middleman out. I'm just surprised and confused because I used to think this wasn't legally possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay now I am really confused (shipping smokeless cartridge arms to your doorstep?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
308sc
September 12, 2009, 12:59 AM
It because most of the Finnish Mosins were built on receivers that were made before 1899, which make them antique, therefore they are able to be shipped right to your door without a ffl or C&R

chestnut ridge
September 12, 2009, 01:02 AM
These are pre-1898 receivers. That makes them an "antique" according
to current interpretation of ATF regulations. I think I would pass on this
deal. The asking price is high.

stevekl
September 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah...and I thought that even antique fireams that used smokeless cartidge could only be shipped to a C&R license holder.

So that was never the case and I've just been misunderstanding everything for the last decade :p

EOD Guy
September 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah...and I thought that even antique fireams that used smokeless cartidge could only be shipped to a C&R license holder.

So that was never the case and I've just been misunderstanding everything for the last decade

The exception for using fixed cartridges only applies to reproductions of antique firearms.

stevekl
September 13, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well alright. I've just been educated.

marv
September 13, 2009, 01:17 AM
Also, if you get lucky and buy a firearm from CMP, a Gumment Agency, FedEx will bring it right to your door.

Tim the student
September 13, 2009, 01:42 AM
Also, if you get lucky and buy a firearm from CMP, a Gumment Agency

They are not a Gumment Agency. They are a 501 (c) corporation that is federally chartered. Not the same.

http://www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm

ColinthePilot
September 13, 2009, 02:28 AM
Also, if you get lucky and buy a firearm from CMP, a Gumment Agency, FedEx will bring it right to your door.

I always wondered about that one, too. The whole CMP thing seemed too good to be true, till my rifle arrived, that is.

BADSBSNF81
September 14, 2009, 01:26 AM
Back when it was DCM, they shipped my M1 to me via the USPS.

blazerking78
September 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
So are you saying that buying a Garand from CMP is just shipped to you and not through a FFL?

Tim the student
September 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
So are you saying that buying a Garand from CMP is just shipped to you and not through a FFL?

Yes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay now I am really confused (shipping smokeless cartridge arms to your doorstep?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!