Why aren't the Steyr USR and Daewoo DR200 imported any longer?

PDA

Amish
October 30, 2003, 04:17 PM
Just wondering since they qualify as sporting rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why aren't the Steyr USR and Daewoo DR200 imported any longer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schuey2002
October 30, 2003, 04:44 PM
Bill Clinton. :banghead:

son of a gun
October 30, 2003, 04:49 PM
I have brand new never been fired DR200, I read the elder Bush banned them or the model prior to the DR200. Kimber is Daewoo's exclusive US importer/wholesaler of there firearms.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dangerousdude/Daewoo%20dr200%201.jpg

Joe Demko
October 30, 2003, 04:52 PM
Bill Clinton is not to blame for this. You can thank George "Read My Lips" Bush the Elder for that import ban. Just check into the what happened during the Bush I and Reagan aministrations before you buy too heavily into the "Republicans are pro-gun" propaganda.

Schuey2002
October 30, 2003, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but wasn't it Slickie who signed some sorta bill ( Tamara probably is a better source of info on this than I, :o ) in '98 that blocked the importation of the USR after Steyr had already brought 3000 guns into this country?? :uhoh:

Triad
October 30, 2003, 08:29 PM
From Steyr-AUG.com (http://www.steyr-aug.com/usr.htm)

In 1996-1997 firearms manufacturers throughout the world rediscovered the American firearms markets desire for effective light weight sporting rifles. In 1997 lawfully following the 89 AWB EO and the 1994 Crime Bill, Steyr worked with GSI to import a legal variant of the Steyr AUG. The new rifle named the Universal Sporting Rifle began its BATF importation application process. Little did GSI and Steyr know a sinister forces were in act in the White House and the US Congress.

Steyr's solution is a simple one: Remove the un-sporting features of the Steyr AUG so that it is in compliance with the 1994 Crime Bill.

The battle over sporting firearms began in 1996 with political pressure from the office of Barbara Boxer. Being closely associated with the political anti-gun lobby VPC (Violence Prevention Center) she began to attack the importation of foreign made sporting firearms.

It didn't take long for her anti-gun colleague Diane Fenstein to become involved and focus on IMI for their importation of the Israeli made sporting firearms.

While Congress was busy at work banning Israeli firearms importation, little did any one know but President Clinton was planning to use an executive order expanding the 1989 AWB and limiting the definition of sporting firearms. Soon any rifle that could accept a detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds would be banned.

The question was when to announce and enforce this executive order. As the order was being authored advance word of this greater gun ban was leaked by the BATF to firearms manufacturers. The race was on. Importers raced to get their firearms imported before the announcement. Clinton discovering this, rushed to prepare his executive order and he believed that he had one week to beat the firearms push. During this time 3000 rifles made by Steyr Mannlicher were entering customs, the rifle was named the STEYR USR. In discovering this Bill Clinton jumped from his desk yelling "I was deceived." Fortunately 3000 Steyr USR's made it into the country and civilian hands before the ban. Perhaps the President was deceived. No one can account for the delay.

Deep Blue
October 31, 2003, 02:03 PM
In discovering this Bill Clinton jumped from his desk yelling "I was deceived."

No Bill, you just discovered the stupidity of your law.:neener:

Amish
October 31, 2003, 02:35 PM
So it's the 10rnd mag cap limit that prevent them from being imported. Why is 10 such a special number and why are Presidents of today so stupid?

Art Eatman
October 31, 2003, 03:13 PM
Amish, to count beyond ten would require that either they removed their shoes, or else committed a public indecency.

Art

Triad
October 31, 2003, 04:20 PM
Art, I just ask other folks to hold out their hands. If they can't figure that one out, maybe we should make 'em wear sandals and no socks.

Ian
October 31, 2003, 04:56 PM
Methinks 10 is just supposed to be a convenient intermediate number until they can get enough support to lower it to zero.

Sodbuster
November 1, 2003, 09:56 AM
why are Presidents of today so stupid
They're not. They are owned.

Med 10
November 1, 2003, 11:26 AM
All I know is I kick myself in the butt everyday for trading it in on an Armalite M-15!

Had I known that they would be banned I would have never done it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Why aren't the Steyr USR and Daewoo DR200 imported any longer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!