My New S&W Sigma .40 review

PDA

sarduy
September 13, 2009, 01:30 AM
This is my review of the Smith & Wesson Sigma .40sw. :what:

I was looking for ammo online and i saw a picture of a sigma, after following the link it lead me to a forum (i cant remember the name) where they were had a few picture and different models, (fullsize, , blue, stainless & allied force) it catches my eye because i wasn't looking for any other handgun, but this one looked sexy, :rolleyes: after a few research the only complain that i have found is people talking about the heavy trigger pull which i will talk later.

Some people said (forum posts) that the early version used to jam once in a while, but after the new version was release all those bugs were fixed. I have no experience with any SW handgun but people love their revolvers & semiautos in general so this was a new adventure for me (something nice to get in the future). last week i called my local dealer to find out the asking price for a new sigma and to see if they had any model in display so i can try them, quest what :what:, the guy was aking $400 OTD and didn't have any in stock, so i call another dealer, this one was asking 380+tax and didn't have one instock but try to sell me a $519 glock 17:rolleyes:, enough with the shopping around:neener:.

This monday i finally found a good deal online, $299 shipped, so i jump on it, it arrived yesterday, but i didn't have the time to do a review:p, the sigma does look a lot like glock, i didn't have the time to shoot it today but i'll go to the range tomorrow, i hope it looks as well as it looks, it come with a 3 dot sight, stainless steel slide and barrel, 2 14-rounds stainless magazines, lock, manual, 2 empty case...:confused: in a yellow envelope. The grip angle work just for me and i find it a little more confortable than my glock-17.

Time to talk about the trigger. As many of you know or have read, it's heavy... but this is the good part, my glock come with a 5.5lb trigger pull and this sigma come with a 7.5lb trigger pull just 2lb over the glock, nothing to worry about, in fact i find it helpful because with the little extra weight in the trigger pull, i have more confidence in it to carry one in the chamber than my glock now, this is not a 'shoot all day range pistol" but more of a CCW, in the end this pistol was build to be a concealed weapon and not a range toy, let the glock and 1911 to the all day shooting at the range ;). after all, one is heavy and the other is big for CCW (but i can tell you they both work great for CCW :neener:)

overall, for $299.00 OTD i'm very happy with the fit & finish of the SW Sigma .40sw and the trigger is perfect for a CCW pistol without external safety :neener:, plus who cares about a trigger pull in a life or death situation :evil: (i dont).

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/652/2922238310095461090S500x500Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2922238310095461090lCeYFy)

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/42652/2952994490095461090S500x500Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2952994490095461090WEnkJH)

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/45956/2581583650095461090S500x500Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2581583650095461090jqyspe)

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/43579/2428949190095461090S500x500Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2428949190095461090BorZez)

i would like to hear your comments...

If you enjoyed reading about "My New S&W Sigma .40 review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fxstchewy
September 13, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have about 800rds or so through mine without issue but after cleaning one day i noticed the Firing pin safety plunger has some wear through the chrome on it but i guess that happens because it is metal on metal contact. Overall i am very happy with the 40VE and the trigger works like one on a DAO revolver.

DougDubya
September 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
You know, in the old days, a lot of folks would have loved a double-action revolver trigger at 7.5 pounds.

SIGMAs also fit my hand very well. Your SW40 actually looks quite handsome there!

chuwee81
September 13, 2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291454

my review. i am getting much better with the weapon now. Funny thing is that this is my range burner. Just got a 1911 and it'll be my "safe queen" :)

Also i did a DIY trigger job by removing one of the spring. Much, much better now. Even the original trigger setup is not as heavy as the bashers made it out to be.

wally
September 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
If you are coming from a 1911 the Sigma trigger is really bad, but if you are coming from a Taurus revolver its really quite good.

Its really easy to pay more and get a less reliable gun.

--wally.

Onward Allusion
September 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Got two of them in .40 and one in 9mm. All reliable and functional. The trigger took a little getting use to, but after practicing DA only with a revolver, it feels "normal" now. I personally think that the S&W Sigma line is one of the most underrated of current production.

m2steven
September 13, 2009, 03:25 PM
Great looking pistol. How does it recoil compared to other 40's?

sarduy
September 13, 2009, 11:21 PM
Your SW40 actually looks quite handsome there!

hehehe... Thanks, i really like it.

Even the original trigger setup is not as heavy as the bashers made it out to be.
that's true, while i was reading about it online, almost all post talk about the trigger been ultra heavy, but once i got mine, the trigger does feel more heavy than a 1911 but it's like any other DOA revolver, i think it's fine.

I personally think that the S&W Sigma line is one of the most underrated of current production.

I found that to be a good point. i dont know why some people (those who have never owned or shoot one) underrate it so much, when in fact, is as good as any other more expensive pistols.

Great looking pistol. How does it recoil compared to other 40's?

i haven't shot mine yet, been busy with other stuff, but i'll go tomorrow to try it out, and let you know about the recoil and its accuracy.

David E
September 13, 2009, 11:51 PM
SW Sigma .40sw and the trigger is perfect for a CCW pistol without external safety , plus who cares about a trigger pull in a life or death situation (i dont).

If the trigger pull is so heavy that it prevents an accurate shot on target in a timely manner, then you should care.

One thing about the Sigma is the overtravel. For most, it causes the gun to pull off to the right immediately following the trigger pull, but prior to the striker hitting the primer.

This can be fixed and it should be.

DougDubya
September 14, 2009, 01:42 AM
sarduy - many of the Sigma bashers are irate that the Sigma stole borrowed copious amounts of its design from the Glock, an offense that they refuse to lend forgiveness to.

Conversely, put fish scales on it and an ambidextrous slide stop, and it's exciting and new!

David E
September 14, 2009, 02:26 AM
Glock sued S&W over it and S&W settled. Anyone still upset over that just likes to hold grudges over matters that have zero impact on them.

Hokkmike
September 14, 2009, 09:08 AM
Great pics - thanks.

DocCas
September 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
DougDubya said sarduy - many of the Sigma bashers are irate that the Sigma stole borrowed copious amounts of its design from the Glock, an offense that they refuse to lend forgiveness to.Yes, that is what many Glock owners believe. Unfortunately it is not entirely true.

Glock sued Smith & Wesson in 1994 claiming "tortuous acts, including without limitations, patent infringement, federal unfair competition, common unfair competition and deceptive trade practices."

However, the truth is that Glock sent an ultimatum to its dealers, giving them 15 days to decide on which to carry, the Glock or the Sigma. "If your decision is to continue to distribute Smith & Wesson products, your contractual relationship with Glock Inc. will be terminated," Glock said.

In the end, Smith and Wesson agreed to "remove the surface located below the sear in the Sigma Series Pistols, which Glock contends is a positive guide means, and Glock has agreed that such a modification would resolve the patent infringement claim."

As for any settlement, there was a non-disclosure agree in the settlement so nobody knows how much, if any, S&W paid.

But the point is that Glock, in my opinion, was the one who engaged in unfair trade practices by trying to force gun shop owners to stop selling S&W guns. And we all know how that turned out. Every gun shop I frequent carries both Glocks and S&Ws, as it ought to be!

doc540
September 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
sorry to get back on topic but....

If you call S&W and complain about the roughness of the trigger (not the heaviness) they'll send you a prepaid shipping label, smooth it up, and return it to you on their dime. Got mine back within two weeks from the day I shipped it.

Still has the heavy trigger but it's as smooth as the proverbial buttah.

Arkansas Paul
September 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
I bought one a couple of years ago identical to the one in the pics for $299 at Academy. I didn't have much money at the time, so I picked up a box of Monarch ammo and went to shoot it. I was unaware of the poor quality of the cheap Monarch ammo and it jammed about every third or fourth shot. I was irate, thinking I had gotten a piece of junk gun until I read up some on the ammo. I've tried Remington, Winchester, and Fiochii (hope that's spelled right) with no problembs. I've gotten used to the trigger now and can hit pretty well with it. I agree that the stiff trigger would be desireable for concealed carry with one in the chamber. Over all, I feel that I got a good value for the money.

bloodline
September 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
There is a place in Texas that does trigger jobs on these for free. S&W pays for it. The name escapes me right now. I've felt the results and it's worth the cost of shipping. i also noticed that Midway had some different springs in their catalog for the sigma. I've owned 4 of them and sold them all. Wish I'd kept one honestly.

chuwee81
September 14, 2009, 11:57 AM
a simple DIY trigger mod would be to remove the sear assembly (back of the frame, the 2nd pin). remove the pin and the assembly should slide right up. There should be a vertical spring set towards the rear. It's a set because it has an inner smaller spring inside a bigger one. Just take out the smaller spring and put back the outer spring only. The gun will still be safe but the trigger would be lighter around 1.5-2 lbs. That's what i did and it works just fine. Never experinced light primer hit or any malfunction.

edit: as in 1.5-2 lbs lighter. Trigger pull should still be around 5-6 lbs range, instead of the factory set 9 lbs. ALso get snap caps and dry fire a lot. I have read some people experienced better trigger pull around 1000 rds.

basicblur
September 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
I gotta say-takes some guts to come on here and not only admit you have one, but to report it ain't as bad as some make it out to be! :what:

It was my first polymer gun-compared it to the Glock, and the Glock angle just didn't work for me. Back when they were cheaper, and S&W was giving away luggage/range bags with purchase, I think I owned 6 of the darn things just to get the luggage! Ended up selling all but 2 of 'em-have moved on to a variety of the usual boutique/snobbish names (but I wouldn't say moving up), but my bed gun is still the SW9E-got a nice set of free luggage outta the deal!
Over the years, sold 4 of 'em to noobs at work who decided it was time to take responsibility for their and their family's protection-told 'em all the good/bad info floating around about 'em-all of 'em have been happy with 'em.

Learned how to shoot on DA revolvers, so the trigger never bothered me, and it shoots 'bout as well as anything else I have (plenty good 'nuff for SD).

A couple of things I found 'bout the Sigma that drive folks nuts?
1. I have no problem with the trigger
2. I actually think it looks better than a Glock (or M&P)
3. While I'm sure the M&P has improvements, it looks like a "gussied up Sigma" to me (not that there's anything wrong with that :D)

I do get a kick outta folks obsessing over the trigger (think a lot of 'em are noobs that want a 1/2 pound trigger). I also get a kick outta folks obsessing over "correct" sighting procedure. I've talked to a few folks (and read of a lot) who where involved in shootings and it ended up being point and shoot!

BTW-you might want to consider a Hogue HandAll slip on grip-I added it to both of mine.

Welcome to the Sigma club!
Now, you will have the good sense not to tell anyone, won't you? :rolleyes:

1911 Operator
September 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
smith and wesson still makes the sigma :eek: (why?!)

worse yet, people are till buying those :confused:

:D

Dazen
September 14, 2009, 04:10 PM
I still have my Sigma that i payed $500 for back in 95 or 96, Have not had a problem with it yet. I have fired a little over 3k rounds over the years through it.

chuwee81
September 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
1700 rds and counting :)

DocCas
September 14, 2009, 05:20 PM
basicblur saidBTW-you might want to consider a Hogue HandAll slip on grip-I added it to both of mine.Great advice! The Sigma hand grip is very good right out of the box but I found it just a bit too hard for my liking. I bought a Hogue HandAll, slipped it on (easier said than done!) and the grip went from "very good" to "perfect" for me. :)

basicblur saidsmith and wesson still makes the sigma (why?!)

worse yet, people are till buying those Why? Probably because it is the best handgun for the money available anywhere in the world.

Is that a good enough reason for you? :)

DougDubya
September 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
smith and wesson still makes the sigma :eek: (why?!)

worse yet, people are till buying those :confused:

:D
*waves hand back and forth*

I'm too lazy to chase you down. Walk into this. :p

Serious answer? It works, and it's super inexpensive to produce, and there's 20 other respondants who actually do like 'em. ;)

1911 Operator
September 14, 2009, 06:44 PM
*waves hand back and forth*

I'm too lazy to chase you down. Walk into this. :p

Serious answer? It works, and it's super inexpensive to produce, and there's 20 other respondants who actually do like 'em. ;)
this reminds of the people who profess that hi-points are quality guns lmao.

sigmas are on sale at my local gander mountain for $250-you always get what you pay for.

WingRider
September 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
Nice pics. Looks just like mine. I got it for $325 from a friend. I was low and left the first few hundred rounds. You got a good deal. ENJOY!

gunlaw
September 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
the sigma is not a great pistol,but hardly junk.I carry a .40 VE everyday and I have 100% confidence in it's reliability. the accuracy part is up to me. It does the job that it was designed to do.It is a reliable light weight pistol in a respectable caliber all at a reasonable price. do yourself a favor and get a good quality leather holster.

DougDubya
September 14, 2009, 11:34 PM

sigmas are on sale at my local gander mountain for $250-you always get what you pay for.
I always get what I pay for in internet opinions. :D

sarduy
September 14, 2009, 11:57 PM

i'm sure the highpoint pistol is not even near the quality/fit/finish/performance of a new SW sigma( i own a high point c9), lets remember that a sigma is not $150 gun but if you have the extra 100 dollars, for the love of Guns, i recommend you go and get one and find out what 250 can buy. :what:

BTW this doesn't apply to you does it? :neener:

I do get a kick outta folks obsessing over the trigger (think a lot of 'em are noobs that want a 1/2 pound trigger). I also get a kick outta folks obsessing over "correct" sighting procedure.

note: the HighPoint C9 may not be as good as the Sigma, but their Carbine...ohh they are awesome.

Extremely Pro Gun
September 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
Congrats! I bet you didnt know that the sights are hangin off the side of the gun. Sigmas are the worst handgun ever made and it made me despise S&W. I actually owned one back when i didnt know anything about guns.

here you go sir: http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/klunker.aspx

HippieMagic
September 16, 2009, 12:04 AM
I shot a sigma in 9mm. I seriously hated it. I don't care what anyone says that trigger is HORRIBLE. It isn't the heavy pull it is the lack of a distinct breaking point. You have no idea at which point the gun is going to fire and when shooting it I always had to pull all the way back on the trigger... discover that there was no bang... readjust my finger... then try to get the trigger back even further. It fits my hands fine but it felt like my finger had to be behind the rest of my fingers in order to get the gun to fire which in a situation where my life is on the line I need the trigger to work without the need of me re-adjusting my grip. I was able to hit a target where I wanted to so long as I took careful aim but I think in a rapid fire situation it would result in a lot of misses. The gun itself is fine. I don't like the look of it or the feel of the trigger but the actual gun seems to fire fine.

As for the gun coming with 2 shell casings I believe those are the test fired casings included because some states require casings from each handgun to be kept on record for testing purposes in case the gun is suspect in a crime. If they found casings from a .40, you were a suspect, and they had you on record for owning a .40 handgun they could take those casings, pull up your file, grab the pouch with your serial number on it, and if they match you are pretty much busted. I think only a couple states actually keep those casings though. I know handguns in WV always seem to come with them.

DougDubya
September 16, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ah, the hate-orade (not you Hippie) begins to pour.

The trigger is a valid problem, but there are fixes for it.

PT1911
September 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
I still have my Sigma that i payed $500 for back in 95 or 96, Have not had a problem with it yet. I have fired a little over 3k rounds over the years through it.

You spent $500 on a SIGMA? WHY? that is pretty rediculous.

sarduy
September 16, 2009, 12:18 AM
Congrats! I bet you didnt know that the sights are hangin off the side of the gun. Sigmas are the worst handgun ever made and it made me despise S&W. I actually owned one back when i didnt know anything about guns.

here you go sir: http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/klunker.aspx

hahaha Thanks for the link but i'll pass :neener:

sarduy
September 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
$500 seems way to high for a sigma...

Dazen
September 17, 2009, 02:09 AM
That was the price when they first came out. I don't remember the exact price. I do know it was close enuff for me to say $500.

sarduy
September 17, 2009, 02:18 AM
will the sigma .40 last the same as the 9mm with the harder recoil?

basicblur
September 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
will the sigma .40 last the same as the 9mm with the harder recoil?

When doing my research waaaay back (before buying a Sigma), I read the Sigma was designed as a 40-thus making the 9 overbuilt...unlike a certain other polymer gun (which shall go unnamed), that was reportedly designed as a 9, thus making it's larger calibers underbuilt?

Just one more reason I went with a Sigma instead of that "other" brand! :D

tbone3
September 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well different strokes for different folks! I like my Sigma 9VE more than my M&P9:what: I shoot it better, it carries better, and feels better in my hand. Congrats on your purchase!

sarduy
September 19, 2009, 03:16 AM
Well different strokes for different folks! I like my Sigma 9VE more than my M&P9:what: I shoot it better, it carries better, and feels better in my hand. Congrats on your purchase!

How dare you, to insult the M&P gods :neener:...

for some reasons i feel the name way, i have shot a M&P and to be honest, the sigma just feel better, plus one you master the heavy trigger, you can shoot any pistol accurate ;)

BTW, i shot it this thrusday and all i can say is WOW...:what:, the first round ever with this gun was a silhouette bullseye, followed by the second shot right next to it followed by the other 12 rounds all in the big hole with slow aimed fire.

once i finish that mag, i loaded the other and bang...bang..bang....all 14 rounds shots at center mass very very fast, the good thing is that i didn't have any kind of failure, then i tried some double taps to the top followed by 3 shots to center mass of the silhouette, after all 100 rounds i was very happy with the reliability and accuracy of the pistol. i know i'm only at the 100 rounds mark but there 100 rounds were trouble free.

after that i shot the glock 17 and my fairly new 1911 without any problems, and the trigger felt soooo light ;)

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2009, 07:46 AM
Conversely, put fish scales on it and an ambidextrous slide stop, and it's exciting and new!
The M&P is nothing like the Sigma.

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2009, 07:51 AM
You payed five hundred 1995 dollars for a Sigma?:what: How many tubes of Preparation H did it take to relive the pain?

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2009, 07:53 AM
I like my Sigma 9VE more than my M&P9
Blasphemy.

tbone3
September 19, 2009, 09:58 AM
I know it's blasphemy! And I really want to like my M&P better, especially since I paid about double for it!

NinjaFeint
September 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
Local gun store is selling them for 250 next weekend. I may have to pick one up.

Warhawk83
September 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
I like mine so much I just had meprolight sights put on it. I have about 500 rounds through mine. I was horrible at first because of the trigger, now that I'm used to it I'm fairly accurate and also better with EVERY other gun I own :cool:

DougDubya
September 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
Blasphemy.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w42/barrow_co2/Facepalm.jpg

Because it's so fun to watch the beer budget guns get as much loyalty as the champaign pistols.

:evil::neener::cool:

ronzorelli
September 19, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have a Sigma 9mm. It's my very first pistol. I have zero problems with the strong trigger, but I'm a bigger guy with big hands and it doesn't bother me at all. My friend John hates it, but he's a bit of a whiner so... whatever ;) (if he's reading this, "John, I'm kidding!") He gripes about the heavy pull on the trigger every time he shoots it. Also gripes about the double action, minus the hammer. I don't mind that either.

It shoots well. I'm a little all over the place on the outside edges of a grouping, but I think it's because I simply don't shoot enough to get completely used to the strong pull on the trigger.

Here's a pic of my Sigma, and my CHL qualifying result.

giggitygiggity
September 19, 2009, 05:00 PM
The pistol is reliable, but the trigger is aweful. You actually have to cosciously use muscles in order to make the trigger break. I would much rather have a Glock for carry and the range. Glocks are light, accurate, and have triggers that break crisply and without the need to pull hard.

Also, having one in the pipe while carrying is a nonissue. Do you know how many people carry Glocks, Sigmas, etc. with one in the pipe. The majority of police departments have Glocks and their officers usually carry a full mag and one in the chamber. When you are confronted by an armed criminal, you don't want to fumble with racking the slide; you want to draw and fire. Unless you plan on squeezing the trigger while your weapon is holstered or you sqeeze it while you are removing it from you holster, then there is no issue with having a round in the chamber.

basicblur
September 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
I like mine so much I just had meprolight sights put on it.
Kinda reminds me of the old joke…how do you double the value of a Yug…er, Sigma…
You fill the tan…er, put night sights on it! :D

I was horrible at first because of the trigger, now that I'm used to it I'm fairly accurate and also better with EVERY other gun I own.
Now you’re getting it grasshopper! :cool:
Kinda like training with ankle weights, ain’t it?
As a former bicyclist, my training bike had all kinds of junk/weight on it (and folks often laughed at it), but when I went to my racebike…boy could I fly uphill!
As stated earlier-folks that whine about the trigger might consider using the Sigma as a training tool since nobody seems to learn on DA revolvers any more.
They might find as the poster in here did that his shooting improved as he learned how to use the Sigma’s heavier trigger.

Also, having one in the pipe while carrying is a nonissue… Unless you plan on squeezing the trigger while your weapon is holstered or you sqeeze it while you are removing it from you holster, then there is no issue with having a round in the chamber.

Really?
If you’ll read long enough, you’ll see reports of guns that “don’t need no stinkin’ safety” discharging by snagging a windbreaker waist drawstring etc.
Then there’s this (http://www2.godanriver.com/gdr/news/local/danville_news/article/police_retired_cops_gun_goes_off_at_seafood_eatery/13581/)...
Now…we don’t know for sure, but the paper makes it sound like it was not in a holster?
I checked with the guys at the gun shop, and they say word was it was a Glock (local PD carries Glocks, and since he was retired local PD...).
(Perhaps the individual should have read Ayoob’s take on Mexican carry with a Glock vs. an XD).

Local gun store is selling them for 250 next weekend.
‘Bout what I paid for ‘em (maybe slightly less) back when I was building my S&W luggage collection (free bags with purchase).
If I ran across one for $250 today, there’s a good chance I might walk out with it (can always use another truck gun)!

The majority of police departments have Glocks and their officers usually carry a full mag and one in the chamber.
And no doubt a number of folks that don’t carry with one in the chamber would do so if they were cops. After all…how many times a day does a cop have a confrontation with a criminal vs. the average citizen?

Rather than automatically denigrate folks who don’t carry with one in the pipe (which seems to happen a lot in here), perhaps those folks should simply be viewed as thoughtful individuals that have weighed the odds, thought of the ramifications of an AD, and decided accordingly.

What really scares me is the number folks that "don't need no stinkin' safety" carrying in horizontal shoulder rigs! :uhoh:

Onward Allusion
October 6, 2009, 09:00 PM
I recently added an el-cheapo NC Star laser ($20) to my SW9GVE and took it to the range this past weekend. Literally shot through the same 10X hole at 7 yards - over & over again. Ran through 3 boxes w/o issues. Bud's still got 'em for $299 delivered + a $50 rebate (or 2 mags) from S&W.

Ed Ames
October 6, 2009, 10:31 PM
I picked up a 9VE a couple of years ago. $300 before the $50+2 free mag mail-in.

Well worth it. Not my best handgun but functional and a good value.

basicblur
October 6, 2009, 10:40 PM
Copy and pasted from his e-mail...
Smith and Wesson announced several CASH and FREE GOOD's rebates effective Oct 1. Among these are the $50 CASH or 2 FREE MAGAZINE rebates on the Sigma Series Pistols. With Bud's already low price of $299 DELIVERED on the SW9VE, that nets down to only $249 after the mail in rebate! (while supplies last).

If you enjoyed reading about "My New S&W Sigma .40 review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!