Lead free frangible?

PDA

mljdeckard
September 13, 2009, 06:34 PM
I was perusing the Thunder Ranch website, like I do every so often to dream about courses I can't afford yet, and I saw that they are now completely lead free, and you must supply your own frangible ammo. They list several websites that can supply your ammo, but I couldn't get any of them to display a price, they all say to call for a quote.

Now, when you say 'frangible', I think of Magsafe or similar ammo. Not only do I not trust this stuff for defense, but the cost is enough to deter most of us from wanting to run 200 of them through our carry guns to test for reliability.

I suppose Clint has his reasons for short and long-term safety, he's the one who lives on that range, we just breathe lead dust for a week and leave, he has to do it all the time. I guess frangible ammo reduces the likelihood and severity of backsplash injuries as well.

What this means to me is, it will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cost of a course there, I don't exactly know how much. If my plan is to talk my operations branch into paying the bill for me to go, this just made the bill a LOT more expensive.

Exactly how much does this stuff cost?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead free frangible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
September 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
Now, when you say 'frangible', I think of Magsafe or similar ammo.

You might want to think about something like the Fiocchi frangible stuff. It's in the $24-40 per box of 50 range.

ScottyB
September 13, 2009, 09:50 PM
SBR Greenmatch is in the mid- $20's per 50 and it works well (in my limited experience).

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead free frangible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!