Gunshow report

PDA

jnyork
September 13, 2009, 07:47 PM
Happened to be traveling through Casper, Wyoming yesterday and dropped in at the gunshow they have there every couple or three months. The show promoter should be indicted for fraud for advertising this as a gunshow, it was just a flea market with a few guns scattered about! Worst I have ever seen. :cuss:

There was the fudge guy. There were the scented candle ladies. There was the whole row of tables full of jewelry. There were at least 20 tables full of old military surplus clothing and other mall ninja flotsam. There were maybe 10 tables with knives of various pedigrees, along with at least 2 purveyors of chinese-made ninja swords. There was the old couple wanting to clean your glasses. There was a recruiter for some obscure political party. There were the usual motley assortment of bits and pieces from WWII European military rifles. One guy had a bunch of Walmart ammo he was trying to sell for double what he paid for it, same stuff he was trying to sell at the last Casper show for triple what he paid for it, still no takers.

On the plus side, lots and lots of new handguns, anything you want at not-too-inflated prices. A pickup load of AR15 type rifles, the price on these now down under a thou in most cases, I think a lot of dealers have got caught with their pants down on these, still no buyers that I saw. All the powder you wanted at 18-22 bucks a pound. A few primers scattered about, I didnt dare ask the price. A few nice old guns to admire, but mostly just run of the mill stuff, that of it that was there.

To add insult to injury, not a piece of beef jerky to be had. :banghead:

Sure am glad I didn't drive all the way down there (150 miles) just to go to this show , would have made me plumb grouchy. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshow report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Noxx
September 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Well that ain't right at all. Gun show without beef jerky? Boooo.

jnyork
September 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, you can always judge a gunshow by the quality of the beef jerky! :scrutiny: :D

paintballdude902
September 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
yeah i always call to jerky guy to find out if hes gonna be there or not if he isnt i know the show isnt forth the time or 7 bucks

The Deer Hunter
September 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
Gun shows, they're are kind of like a cross between a human zoo and a medieval marketplace. You pay a small fee to go around and look at strange people selling their wares.

RP88
September 13, 2009, 08:50 PM
To add insult to injury, not a piece of beef jerky to be had.

that...wow, that sucks.:eek:

Whenever I go to a gun show, if I don't find a gun worth buying, I at least get like fifty bucks worth of jerky. That stuff is amazing. I'd be upset and demand a refund.

frankiestoys
September 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
I went to a show this weekend ( west palm beach fl ) looking for a 1911 and i was shocked at some of the prices on guns,ammo,lasers,etc.
I saw some guy selling ROUGH RIDERS for $ 270 .00 and HI POINTS FOR $ 250.00 these are inexpensive guns ,whats wrong with these guys?:scrutiny:
Now there were some deals to be had ,infact those were the tables that were selling guns.
Oh ya there was plenty of jerky ,they were giving it away.

kdstrick
September 13, 2009, 10:13 PM
Funny! I've been more disappointed at recent gun shows than a fat girl on Jenny Craig. But we all go because there remains the possibility of a great deal.

The good news is that the prices are dropping back to reality and most of the sellers seem to be overstocked on overpriced ammo. Prices should start coming down... :)

crawfobj
September 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
It's been a long time since I've found a bargain at a show, but that doesn't mean that I won't go to the next one...

Erik M
September 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
*scented candles
*wal-mart ammo
*mall ninja flotsam

This seems to be the direction most of the shows local to me are heading. The way they are hyped in flyers and bill-boards even make it look like a flea market is coming to town. Now that I think about the shady characters pushing thier stuff its more like a backwoods carnival.

Bruno2
September 14, 2009, 02:29 AM
Last one that came through Tulsa was fair to midland . The Bullet guys really PO'd me they were trying to sell the $7.90 per hundred win fmj .224 for $15.00 per hundred . Seemed to me like everybody bought a bunch of retail priced stuff from midway got a table and tried to double their money , just rediculous .

Why does everybody wear realtree , woodland camo or shooting shirts with the buttstock protecton sewn into the shirt when they go to gunshows ?
I cant believe that so many people have gun show costumes that they dress up in . What is the deal with that ? Are these people thinking they will get free admission or a discount on a gun because they have on real tree ? :cuss:

graywolfls
September 14, 2009, 03:33 AM
Gu Showes here in Las Vegas are now $15.00 per head to get in after paying $5.00 to park. If you go with your lady friend and want to get a cold drink buy the time you leave you will have spent $45.00 for nothing. o yea some jery if you want but even that has doubled since last year.

Autopistola
September 14, 2009, 05:57 AM
Gee, now I don't feel too bad for missing most of gun show season this year. The worst part for me is manuevering in between the obese people that clog the isle. The best part is laughing at the prices some people charge and knowing better!

Sav .250
September 14, 2009, 07:51 AM
Gun Shows. A great place to get any knife sharpened.....:)

hogshead
September 14, 2009, 08:08 AM
Best time to go to gun show to buy. After hunting season[dec. to feb.] Best time to go to sell. After tax time[mar to may] Seems like I can never find a deal on ammo at gun show, especially last 8 months. In march the dealers were coming outside in line asking if anyone had any 380 ammo for sale.Last gun show I went to was 3 weeks ago and the place was packed ,but I think everyone was waiting on their stimulus money,hehe, cause they sure were holding on to their money.

dfrea
September 14, 2009, 08:30 AM
There was a guy selling Sham-Wow's at the last gun show I went to. Even had the pie plate filled with soda and the piece of carpet. No earpiece microphone though.

AirForceShooter
September 14, 2009, 08:39 AM
I haven't missed a show in a year.
I haven't gone.

These guys should have to reread the "Golden Goose" story again.

AFS

madcratebuilder
September 14, 2009, 08:41 AM
I cant believe that so many people have gun show costumes that they dress up in

Ain't that the truth! I go maybe once a year and laugh at all the freaks. I have not seen a 'good' deal at a show in several years. Wall street greed has filtered down to the masses.

jnyork
September 14, 2009, 10:41 AM
Why does everybody wear realtree , woodland camo or shooting shirts with the buttstock protecton sewn into the shirt when they go to gunshows ?
I cant believe that so many people have gun show costumes that they dress up in . What is the deal with that ? Are these people thinking they will get free admission or a discount on a gun because they have on real tree ?

Yeah, a real hoot at times, not so bad here in Wyoming, most just wear western ranch garb or oil field chic because that's really them, but in Yuma Az where we winter it can get to be a zoo, lots of mall ninjas, fat greybearded SOF wannabe's, phony military vets, etc. Funny to just sit back and listen and watch. :D

DammitBoy
September 14, 2009, 10:51 AM
Went to the gunshow in Jackson Mississippi this last weekend.

Saw the usual assortment of freaks, ninjas and geeks - didn't see any great specials leap out at me. I'd say 85% of the tables were guns or ammo.

I skipped the ammo tables after seeing their prices :rolleyes: and bought some ammo at bass pro shop on the way home.

I did finally breakdown and buy a moisen nagant with a package deal for the rifle, the bayonet, the web bandolier with two leather pouches, the cleaning kit, and a box of ammo for $130.00 - which completes my meager WWII collection.

Beelzy
September 14, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well in California things are bizarre!

I went to the Central Valley show yesterday and one seller had primers ($40 per brick)
There was no powder of any kind, and I happened to be looking for .223 ammo and found
two ammo dealers having a .223 War (remember Gas Wars?) and I picked up a case for
$50 less than the folks who went on Saturday! ($300)

That was a trip. No Jerky either.....What's up with that Happy Crappy?

gkdir
September 14, 2009, 11:33 AM
Was at the same show as "Frankiestoys" in WPB. Plenty of jerky, but no room to walk. Where do all these couples with baby strollers think they are going to push those things? Half of the folks their wouldn't know the difference between a 1911 and a rocket launcher,, but man its interesting to listen to them expound to their un-informed companions all their meaningless drivel. Some of the bigger dealers are obviously lowering the prices on most of the AR platform stuff, and some ammo vendors have realized that the "panic" is probably over, and are creeping their prices down. As usual I do my "bargin hunting"out in the parking lot before it ever hits the door. Lot of guys out of work these days, times are tuff, and my heart goes out to all of them---but--- somebody has to do it. All in all, the shows have degenerated down thru the years, but lets be thankful that we still have them at all.

bearmgc
September 14, 2009, 07:22 PM
Human zoo...huh, what a concept. Yeah that's right. Where do all the plain ol' regular folks go?

cracked junior
September 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
The gun shows around here have a rule where 80 to 90% of your table must be guns or gun related. so that weeds out the flea market folks. i think knives are allowed but follow the same rule.

oldgold
September 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
OHMYGOD

A Beef jerky shortage.Better start hoarding..........lol

sebtool
September 14, 2009, 10:55 PM
Went to the show at the machinist's hall in St Louis yesterday, usually 1 of the better 1s, even tho this is the 1st 1 I've been to there in awhile.
I don't know if it's just dealers here, but the prices -as a rule, were outfreakin'rageous! I was looking to do a little selling or trading, butt getting raped in the process wasn't really what I was after.... Some of the smaller guys, or private individuals were alot easier to deal with.

1 thing that always is aggravating are the guys with a couple of cases full of 'shtuff', and not a price anywhere. Almost like going to a used car lot. Gotta ask to check it out, listen to the spiel, then beg for the the price before they get to the part where "this particular gun is the 1 out of all 12,000 in my shop that I don't care if I sell or not!" ( I actually was told that yesterday!) before I thanked him and started walking away.... Told him he should probably keep it he was thast attached to it, and he followed me for 2 tables telling me that he bought 50 of the pistol I had back in '89 fo $99 apiece, and couldn't give me any more than that, it just wouldn't be right!

As usual, everything I had was junk, and their's was golden....:rolleyes: Granted, I didn't have my Gold Cup with me, but had the same reaction when I did. I must have been the only guy in the place with 'I'M STUPID' tattooed on the top of my bald spot there at the time.

At least he wasn't wearing a leisure suit - or wearing camo.... :D

jnyork
September 14, 2009, 11:27 PM
OHMYGOD

A Beef jerky shortage.Better start hoarding..........lol

I'm not worried, I was smart enought to lay in a lifetime supply just before the election, dont know why you guys couldn't see it coming. :rolleyes:

acdodd
September 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
Went to the show in Pasco, Washington on Saturday.
Advertised as 200 tables. They had maybe 50.
Black rifles were plentiful and priced about what they were pre Obama.
Didn't see any great deals.
Stood in line to get in for about 10 or 15 min. was through the show in 30 min. or less.
Ammo was available but no deal.
Went to Ranch and Home.
They had more guns and more ammo than the show.
Well maybe not more guns but more ammo for sure.
.223 was $449 a case. They had a 2 pallets full.
Sorry I cannot remember the manufacturer.
More shotgun shells than you could shoot in a year.
Forgot to look at .22 shells. I'm pretty well stocked up for now.
I won't hurry back to the next one.
AC

MagnumDweeb
September 16, 2009, 10:39 AM
Last one was the usual story. Inflated prices on ammo and guns. But there is always the same guy who flips guns left and right and it ticks me off to no end. There was a guy selling his Glock 19 for $340, and the 'flipper' who buys it at that price or cheaper and flips it for at least $500 got all raggedy with me and the other vultures. The 'flipper' had the gaul to try and bust my chops and then I reminded him what he was doing was illegal, and he quietly stocked off. The next one is in October, I won't play so civil with him, I'll call out offers over him talking. If he was a regular guy who was looking for a deal I'd hold my tongue but this guy is a stain on gun owners and is a gouger so he gets none of my respect.

AirForceShooter
September 16, 2009, 10:43 AM
What did he do illegal?
He got a cheap price on a gun and sold it for more money.
That's called profit.
Private sales are legal.
He does it a lot? It's hard to define "Dealer"

I don't see a problem.

AFS

chuckusaret
September 16, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not worried, I was smart enought to lay in a lifetime supply just before the election, dont know why you guys couldn't see it coming.

I did also, but my lifetime(130 months)supply is in MRE's and 15K rounds of ammo, 1k rounds per weapon. Would you believe I have .40 cal WWB ammo purchased just one year ago that only cost $12.95 per hundred.:rolleyes:

Erik M
September 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
There was a guy selling his Glock 19 for $340, and the 'flipper' who buys it at that price or cheaper and flips it for at least $500 got all raggedy with me and the other vultures.
Do you mean it was an auction and the 'flipper' was there to purposefully bump up the price of the gun? thats extremely unethical but not exactly crime. If he bought it and resold it at a higher price than I agree with AirForceShooter theres no crime in turning a profit.

acdodd
September 16, 2009, 04:10 PM
He must mean the flipper has no FFL.
If he is buying and selling guns as a business I do believe he needs a license.
If he is a private seller then he may or may not be in violation.
That would be up to the BATFE.
AC

D-Day
September 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
Luckily, the shows in Ohio are still pretty decent. I see at least a handful of deals every time that make me wince for not being able to take advantage of. On other occasions, it is my wallet doing the wincing.

KBT1911
September 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe it's a secret Acorn plot to make gun shows suck so that we will stop going...Same thing here in Dallas. A lot of overpriced stuff. There are deals to be found if you dig though. One table always has the range bullets I like for my .44 at a good price and I found my buddy a barely used Springfield 1911 for cheap.

shotgunjoel
September 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
Went to the show at the machinist's hall in St Louis yesterday, usually 1 of the better 1s, even tho this is the 1st 1 I've been to there in awhile.

Dang, that's a LOT of ones!

What did he do illegal?
He got a cheap price on a gun and sold it for more money.
That's called profit.
Private sales are legal.
He does it a lot? It's hard to define "Dealer"

I don't see a problem.

It's okay to do private sales, like if you have a gun that you don't want anymore, or you need the money. What this guy did wrong is that he bought the gun for the purpose of selling it, which is illegal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshow report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!