NAA Pug .22 mag or LCP .380?

PDA

38snapcaps
September 14, 2009, 11:52 AM
I am looking for maximum concealability and these two are my choices.
I understand stopping power isn't that great with either, but they both cost about the same, $300, and this is my price range.
I already have a snub .38, I need something really small.

Which would you pick and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Pug .22 mag or LCP .380?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
surjimmy
September 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
I love my NAA 22mag, drop it in your pocket and have no worries.

MCgunner
September 14, 2009, 12:24 PM
I know that .380 is more caliber and the LCP is a better platform for self defense, no argument here. However, the NAAs have so many niche uses because they can be hidden so well so many ways, mine is almost indispensable. I want a 4" mini master with both cylinders and adjustable sights. I'll get one soon enough. I don't have an LCP or P3AT, yet, but would like one. Only thing, I'm afraid if I had one, I'd wanna carry it in lieu of my 9x19 Kel Tec. The 9 is considerably more power for not a lot more weight. I think I'll get the NAA first.

If it's either/or, I suggest the .380 is the better choice for pure self defense, though. .22 mag, even out of a 4" barrel, isn't too impressive. .32ACP has more pop than the 2" .22 mag, let alone the .380, then figure in reloads, to me, the LCP is just a no brainer. I'd rather carry my 9, though. :D

TheProf
September 14, 2009, 04:02 PM
1. Of the two choices...get the LCP.

2. An LCP makes a great EDC gun. That said, if you are not using it as a back-up and are using it as your primary (because you absolutely won't get a bigger gun)...then may I suggest that you carry two LCPs? You will then have the advantage of super concealment, the ability to fire from both hands, and a total of 14 rounds without having to do a magazine reload ( 7 rounds from each gun..."New York reload").

3. Eventually, you also want to get the .22 Pug. It has its unique ability to go to places that other guns can't. (You can make it your 2nd or 3rd gun.)

halking43
September 14, 2009, 04:24 PM
I love and carry my LCP!!!!!!!

shotgunjoel
September 14, 2009, 04:30 PM
Get an LCP, I don't think that those little 22s are worth much in a fight.

bri
September 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'd go with the LCP.

Wait how ever long it takes for you to save up what's needed.

Then buy the 22 as well. ;)

mgkdrgn
September 14, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well, one advantage of the Pug in 22mag is that you can actually -buy ammo- for it right now.

22mag is a right nasty little cartridge that never quite gets it's due

Warhawk83
September 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
Well, one advantage of the Pug in 22mag is that you can actually -buy ammo- for it right now. +1

My LCP doesn't get range time because of this.

MCgunner
September 14, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm a little short on brass for .380, but I have primers and cast my own bullets. Odd how .380 is so short on supply. I guess it's popular for carry.

The 2" barrel isn't going to do justice for the .22 mag. Be lucky to get 100 ft lbs. The 4" mini master will get some more zip out of it, be up there with the .32ACP and I'd think might actually out penetrate the .32. It's still a mouse caliber any way ya look at it short of being fired in a rifle. But, I wouldn't wanna get shot with it. It could kill you pretty well dead.:D

All in all, I prefer a 9x19 or a .38, but as the OP has a .38, either gun would be a good addition. I think for pure self defense, I'd go with the LCP, though, first, and as someone said, get the Pug later. It's a neat little gun that can fill some niches. For instance, when I'm wade fishing, I clip my NAA to the top of my T shirt. It has the folding hoster/grip on it with a belt clip. No other gun can quite go there and it beats a .38 zipped up in a plastic bag in the hold of my kayak. That's one reason I want a mini master with a .22 mag cylinder. A little more gun than my 1 5/8" .22LR mini and will still work with a holster grip.

Birdmang
September 14, 2009, 06:47 PM
I say get 3 of each just in case you get in a battle.

cerberus65
September 14, 2009, 06:57 PM
Have you handled a Pug? Those things have itty-bitty hammers and triggers. I'd go for the LCP just based on the more normal size of it.

.380 is hard to find but eventually it's got to show up again. .22 mag is a lot of blast in such a short barrel. It was really made for rifles.

bigfatdave
September 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Does the pug come with a conversion cylinder for .22LR?

In the end, you will own both, or their equivalents. The NAA actually shoots an existing caliber, while the LCP, assuming you can find/afford ammo for it, has a bit more power behind it.
Neither has much in the way of intimidation factor*, both are extremely concealable, both have a fairly good selection of holsters available for reasonable prices**.

If I was dead-set on making one of those two my EDC, it would be a tough call, and I'd probably try to broaden my search ... but if it really came down to it I'd get the Pug, just because I could get lots of range time with it and thus actually be able to put shots onto a target.

*(that factor that gives "zero shot stops" upon presentation ... never count on it with any gun, but you for sure aren't going to get it with the NAA, and the LCP won't give much)
**(SharkTac makes nice Kydex holsters for both, I got a look at their manufacturing process recently and was fairly impressed)

searcher451
September 14, 2009, 08:32 PM
If these are your two choices, why ask us? Just a) get the one that you want the most of the two, or b) get the one that best fits your hand and eye, or c) get 'em both.

bigfatdave
September 14, 2009, 08:56 PM
Or d) get both, and then buy some more!

Coyote Jim
September 14, 2009, 09:28 PM
Both the NAA Pug and the LCP are on my buy list as well I would go with the Pug.I carry the NAA Black Widow the price is 277.00 with the conversion cylinder and there are several individuals that make holsters for it.

KevininPa
September 14, 2009, 11:47 PM
........for the Pug. You should at least get the conversion cylinder with it also at that price. I love the NAA Minis. I have one of their 1 5/8 Magnums in a holster grip. Once you learn how to shoot'em, they're more accurate than people say. I'd like to get one of their Black Widows next with both cylinders. I personally think that the holster grip is the way to go. A full grip and a holster with a clip. Looks like a multi-tool in the pocket. If you get the .22 Mag, you'll learn to appreciate the full grip. I learned. Spent a lot of money on all the grip variations till I found one I liked.

MICHAEL T
September 15, 2009, 12:38 AM
Get the 380 If I press barrel of my NAA against target I could hit. I have never owned such a useless pistol gave to my X wife. Not even going in to slow to load and shoot

bigfatdave
September 15, 2009, 12:52 AM
If I press barrel of my NAA against target I could hit1 ... ... Not even going in to slow to load2 and shoot3
1-More practice and an admission that the NAA is a "get off me" gun more than a target pistol. It is enough fun at the range that I'm getting fairly good with mine, good COM shots on a silhouette at 15 yards, and head-shots at 7 are feasible. This is with the .22mag version that has essentially no rear sight, the Pug has a rear sight and a better grip than the standard bird's-head.
2-If I was in a gunfight with the NAA, the main goal is to get out of it, not wade in. 5 shots is a lot better than zero, and a whole lot better than however many shots the gun that was too large or inconvenient to bring holds. Reloads under stress with a NAA just aren't going to happen, but do you need more than 5 Stingers or varmint .22 mag rounds to dissuade a mugger? After all, the average criminal just wants your wallet/car/stuff ... while you are defending your life.
3-You can shoot as fast as you can re-acquire the target with a SA revolver. I'm not buying this part of your complaint, unless you simply refused to practice.

surjimmy
September 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
As my Uncle says, all I want to do is change your mind. 5 shots from a 22 mag will change your mind.

DeepSouth
September 15, 2009, 12:58 AM
I would get the LCP because I already have a NAA.:D

I would trust the .380 a LOT more than a .22 out of a, 1 1/8 barrel (right?)
That said I'm waiting on an ankle holster for my NAA so I can have a BUG.

herkyguy
September 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
This question to me boils down to the ability to conceal. I have shot small .22 revolvers and I now routinely carry the LCP. I would prefer the LCP on any day. I carry with the Crossbreed microclip IWB holster and feel confident that I can conceal this gun 99% of the time. It fires accurately for me out to 15 yards and I have not had any problems shooting the gun with a small variety of ammunition. I looked at the NAA, but opted for the LCP once I actually held the gun in my hand. I also carry a G23 when the weather is cooler, but in hot weather when in t-shirt and shorts, I absolutely love and trust the LCP.

MICHAEL T
September 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
bigfatdave Glad your happy with yours Like I said I gave mine to X If I want a small pocket pistol I have my Beretta 950BS 9 rounds of 25 auto delivered faster and with more accuracy But normal in my Pocket is a KelTec 380 better than either the NAA or the Beretta and I can hit with it

MCgunner
September 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
Heck, I can easily carry my Ultralite .38 in an ankle holster. I sometimes do when I'm IWBing a bigger gun, usually my 3" medium frame .357 magnum. I'll then carry .38 in speed strips for spare ammo that'll work in both guns. When I do that, I also have my little NAA and holster grip in a pocket. It's SO small and light, I mean, why not? I hardly EVER don't have the NAA on me. It's like a pocket knife. :D

metallic
September 15, 2009, 01:12 PM
I've taken small game with .22 before and seen the animal just flop around with a good hit. No thanks, .380 is the minimum caliber I'm willing to carry against people.

tackstrp
September 15, 2009, 01:44 PM
has any one ever seen the Taurus 380TCP. I cant find even on gunbroker or gunsamerica. in stock or other wise , not even buds guns shop. just come up with not found.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Pug .22 mag or LCP .380?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!