Off duty cop shoots home invader multiple times

PDA

offthepaper
September 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Not sure if this is going to be called a clean shoot by off duty LEO.
Opinions?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-shoot0914,0,161334.story

If you enjoyed reading about "Off duty cop shoots home invader multiple times" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
September 14, 2009, 04:42 PM
My opinion is that there aren't enough facts to really get much out of discussing this, and that it should be locked until we know more.

TexasRifleman
September 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
Not sure of the problem. In most states LE still retain their powers of arrest when off duty.

In most states using deadly force against an armed felon by LE is appropriate, especially when the felony is witnessed by LE and the perp is still a threat, even if the victim is LE. He doesn't lose his status as a sworn peace officer just because he is the victim.

I guess I'm not even sure why this is posted as "news".

jakemccoy
September 14, 2009, 04:50 PM
Unless there is some huge blaring fact that's omitted, I'm going with "the shoot was not justified."

EDIT:

I didn't know that rule about off-duty cops. That's interesting. I doubt a non-cop could get away with that shoot. How long are you allowed to chase and then shoot? Can the chase and shoot be justified after a number of hours or days? Or is it unjustified after you catch your breath? There's a bit of a grey area.

TexasRifleman
September 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
EDIT: I didn't know that rule about off-duty cops...hmmm.

This is why so many cops take off duty work as security etc, they still have their LE status when not "on duty." In these states "off duty" just means not getting paid and not required to be anywhere.

There are some states that don't do this though. I'm not sure about Maryland.

At what point does the chase end? Can the chase last for hours or days?

No, a non LE would probably hang for that shooting. But LE operates under different rules in most states. As far as how long the chase can last most agencies have rules for that stuff but I've never seen one that requires an officer to abandon a chase after a set amount of time when a felony was witnessed by the officer and the perp is still armed.

Maybe someone with knowledge of Maryland LE procedure will post. For Texas LE anyway this wouldn't be a problem I don't believe. I'm not a cop though, there may be rules that I am unaware of.

Now, there is a rule of "immediacy" most of the time. If the cop loses sight of the guy then runs across him 2 days later he can't just start shooting of course :)

Larry Ashcraft
September 14, 2009, 05:04 PM
Without more facts, this thread is just speculation, so I'm going to close it for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Off duty cop shoots home invader multiple times" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!