Fiocchi SR Primers

PDA

BWB
September 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
Some Fiocchi small rifle primers have appeared at our local gun shop. Does anyone know how their cup hardness rates for AR use? Due to the extended shortage we've had to resort to Federals, knowing they're soft, and experienced a slamfire (feeding from the mag).

If you enjoyed reading about "Fiocchi SR Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GP100man
September 14, 2009, 09:58 PM
we only get loaded Fiocchi ammo in my area but it`s praised highly , so the primers have to be of good quality .

I personnally have`nt shot any factory ammo in quite a few years now.

BWB
September 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hasn't anyone used the Fiocchi SR primers in 5.56/.223?
I know they're good primers - just want to know if the cups are hard enough for the AR.

bfoosh006
September 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, I haven't used them but... their website only lists one SR primer for sale to the US market. I'd assume ( you know what that means ) its the same one loaded in their OEM 223 ammo sold here.

FROGO207
September 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
The Fiocchi 223 works fine in my AR and Mini 14 and as the above post states I would think that they would work without problems. Get a couple hundred or so and load them and try. If they are OK go for it.

ForneyRider
September 16, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've shot a ton of Fed 205 primers through AR. No issues. I've shot almost all 1000 from the brick.

Ben Shepherd
September 16, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think you'll be fine. Even though I use CCI 34 and 41 primers for my military action rifles due to their hard cup, I've fired several thousand rounds through my ARs that were either factory loaded XM193 Federal or were hand loaded with Federal primers.

While there is no question that the floating pin leaves a deeper dent in the softer Federal primer when you drop the bolt than any other brand I've tried, I've NEVER had one go off. I doubt those Fiocchi primers are softer than Federal judging by what the factory ammo looks like after firing.

GooseGestapo
September 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
My only experience with Fiocchi primers is in loaded handgun ammo.
The 9mm and .32acp ammo seems to be average hardness for mil-spec ammo.

With the .38spl, I tried some in an S&W M-14 that I use for the NRA Distinguished Competiton. It's had the action worked (by me) and has the requisite 2.5lb s/a trigger pull. It's 100% reliable with Federal and perhaps 99.55% reliable with Winchester primers.
That said, it wouldn't pop the first Fiocchi primers in box of 50 of the 158gr RN. However, the duty S&W 686 I was carrying at the time was 100% reliable with the Fiocchi.

My impression is that they were MUCH harder primers than the Federal's and on the order of CCI or even harder........Might be just what you're looking for....

If you enjoyed reading about "Fiocchi SR Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!