Storage in a garage

PDA

Smiley
September 15, 2009, 12:23 AM
Does anyone store their firearms/safe in a garage? It is locked and certaintly secure enough. My cocnern is that it is not temp control. Winter it gets just a few degrees warmer than outside and summer a few degrees cooler. Obviously all my tools and other metal machinary are stored there. I just wanted to see if anyone else does this and has a problem with rusting or humidity for ammunition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Storage in a garage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
russ69
September 15, 2009, 01:32 AM
Not a good idea IMO. They do better inside plus I can just back in a truck and take the whole safe.

Thanx, Russ

Sav .250
September 15, 2009, 07:52 AM
Not a good place .....IMO

kanook
September 15, 2009, 08:09 AM
In the winter months during season, I keep my rifle in the garage to help prevent the scope from fogging. My ammo in a OD can also. Just remember, if it has condensation on the outside, chances are it will on the inside.

cuervo
September 15, 2009, 08:57 AM
From a temperature standpoint, the heat and cold won't make a big difference to the guns. Be sure to buy a golden rod or two to prevent condensation. You could also use a low-wattage light bulb or renewable silica packs from some place like Cabela's. Be sure to give a good coat of oil to the ones that don't come very often, or have an annual "cleaning day" to take out every one, oil it, and put it back. This is a good way to inspect each gun and maybe rediscover something you'd "forgotten" you had.

From a security standpoint, a garage isn't very good because your safe will most likely be exposed on at least one side. Short work with an axe to go through 12ga steel, or as Russ69 mentioned, wrap a chain around it and pull it out and load it on a pickup to open later. If you can, place it in a corner and try to make it accessible from only the front.

oneounceload
September 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
I used to when I lived out West where the average humidity was 7% - no issues. I also had it hidden between storage shelving units, covered up, etc. It just seemed to fit in as a big nothing in the middle of the typical messy garage. Had one of the dessicant boxes in it - would have to refresh it maybe once per year. Now in FL, indoors, I have to do three of them once a month - and that's with a golden rod running in there too. If it gets humid where you live, and I suspect it does, I would NOT store that stuff in the garage, or even a basement (unless either were being dehumidified)

Robert
September 15, 2009, 11:39 AM
In a perfect world I would not store my safe in the garage, in a perfect world. But it is bolted to the studs with 4 good sized lag bolts and i make sure to keep the door down and locked since we don't/ can't park in there. I do not have anything of great value and I take them out every now and again for an inspection.

Lakeshore
September 15, 2009, 01:08 PM
Probably not a good idea.

But fwiw, about two years ago I came across a forgotten crate full of .22 and .38 ammo and 12 ga. slugs that had been lurking in my garage for at least 30 years of hot, humid summers and freezing cold winters. Since then I've shot every bit of it. There was not one dud in the whole bunch.

Nanook
September 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
I have my safe and reloading bench in the garage. It's heated in the winter, and it's got AC when I'm in there in the summer.

I have a golden rod in there, along with three dessicant packs. So far, after seven years, no problems.

I inspect all of the guns regularly, just in case. It does get pretty humid at times in Illinois.

The safe can't be seen from the street unless the door's open and the garage overhead door is too. I make sure that the two things don't happen at the same time, so the safe is pretty much invisible. It's also bolted to the concrete floor in four places. Very sturdy,although nothing is foolproof.

I've had zero problems with any of the loading components, and I leave them in their original packaging. The only thing I ever had a little oxidation on was some dies. I wipe them down now and it hasn't come back.

I thought if I had any problems, I could get a portable dehumidifier and run the hose outside. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

WoofersInc
September 15, 2009, 02:32 PM
My safes are in the garage. Only place I could put them. Both are bolted to the foundation and the walls. I'm in Nevada, so humidity isn't a problem here. It has been 7 years that I have been here now and haven't had a problem with any of the guns or ammo because of their location.

Red State
September 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
I also store the safe in the garage. I just dont have the space inside the house for it.

No temperature/humidy concerns where I live, but I do worry about theft - even though it is bolted into the concrete slab.

I built a small closet in the corner of the gargage. The closet conceals the safe from view from the street when the garage door is up. The closet also has built in shelving to store all my accessories and ammo, ect.

Nanook
September 16, 2009, 02:13 PM
Red State, that's actually a great idea. I've got mine covered as I mentioned above, but the closet may work better especially with the storage angle.

I can always use more storage, that's for sure.

Quoheleth
September 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
Someone in my CHL class told me he liked his garage for gun storage b/c most burglaries are smash & grabs in the home itself - and the #1 and #2 targets are living room (electronics & computer) and master bedroom (electronics, jewelry and guns). If it's a group of guys looking for bigger (read: heavier) stuff, they might hit a garage with mowers, weed whackers, and larger power tools, but most of the time it's TVs, computers, jewelry and guns. For this guy and his rationale, the garage was the less-likely place for them to hit. He keeps a gun or two in his house under lock & key for relatively quick access, but the collection is out in the garage. Plus, to move his safe would require a fork lift or Bobcat...most burglers aren't equipped with that kind of gear.

Q

oneounceload
September 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
I built a small closet in the corner of the gargage. The closet conceals the safe from view from the street when the garage door is up. The closet also has built in shelving to store all my accessories and ammo, ect.

Friend did that to his safe as well - and then locked the doors and put "Danger High Voltage" stickers on it to keep nosy folks away.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Storage in a garage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!