PD Ammo Only?

PDA

Air,Land&Sea
September 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Does anyone use personal defense ammo only, to include at the range? I'm rethinking range ammo on the assumption that it's maybe "better" to do all practice with carry ammo.
Prolly not a wrong answer, but just encouraging a discussion on the matter.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "PD Ammo Only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kanook
September 15, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have found a load that resembles my PD load. With the price of store bought vs rolling my own, I'll stick with shooting mine and carrying the expensive stuff.

Butter
September 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
What?! LOL I guess it depends on how much you shoot and what you are trying to accomplish with that shooting. I generally check functionality of the defenseive ammo I use in the guns I have, but after that it's reloads or cheap (but what's cheap these days, right?) generic boxes of ammo. Granted, because of the price of ammo currently and my new daughter I only shoot once a week compared to three times a week. But for a few years I was shooting from 12,000 to 14,000 rounds a year which would include competition and defensive pistol classes. I am not spending that kind of coinage on defensive ammo for those quantities.

Frankly, I just don't see the need. Get a .22, learn trigger control and good sighting practices. Buy an airsoft and some snap caps for malf fixes and you'd be good to go for a lot of your technical requirements for competent gun handling skills without buying huge ammounts of defensive ammo that you might never need if you are only going to use it for practice.

GRIZ22
September 15, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm rethinking range ammo on the assumption that it's maybe "better" to do all practice with carry ammo.

Seek and you shall find a less expensive practice ammo that hits to the same point of aim as your carry ammo. If you reload you can duplicate your carry ammo developing a load using cast bullets.

Elvishead
September 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
Keep using target ammo, it's much cheaper, and it keep you shooting at the range, unless your rich, than go ahead use SD ammo all day long.

TBS, shoot a few SD rounds at the end of every session

riverdog
September 15, 2009, 06:48 PM
My primary PD load is Win Ranger 147 gr JHP. I recently found some Win Ranger 147 gr FMJ (flat nose) which should do a fairly good job of replicating my carry load, so I bought a case.

If you enjoyed reading about "PD Ammo Only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!