S&W Mod 57 - 2 questions

PDA

george_co
October 31, 2003, 12:28 AM
I was in a gun store today and saw a real nice Mod 57 6", blued for $650. I mentioned to one of the owners that I was going to have to be nicer to my 57 if that's how much they are worth. He said that if I had a pinned and recessed 57 it would be worth more than that. So I had him explain what that was and sure enough my 57 is pinned and recessed.

So my two questions are: Is the $650 a fair price for what looks like a safe queen?

And, what would be the approximate value of a blued, 6" Mod 57 No Dash serial # N451***that is pinned and recessed and in good condition?

I guess a third question would be: should I put mine away and buy this one to shoot?

As you can tell I am not a collector, I just like the .41 mag Mod 57.

Thanks for comments.

George

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Mod 57 - 2 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C.R.Sam
October 31, 2003, 01:18 AM
N451xxx was made in 1978.

Fjestad's blue book says worth ......$350 plus $10 for pinned and recessed if in 100 percent condition.

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson says it is worth about $400.

Either you are in an area where they draw a premium or that dealer was horribly high.

Sam

Mike Irwin
October 31, 2003, 01:49 AM
Far too high a price on it, even for where I'm at in Northern Virginia, where 57s bring an arm and a leg.

M58
October 31, 2003, 02:09 AM
Sorry, too high!
For comparisons, take a look at: www.gunsamerica.com

N # bring less than S #.

Kevinch
October 31, 2003, 09:56 AM
As mentioned in another current thread, I bought a nice 4" 57-1 last year for $350 & I thought that was too high, but it was exactly what I was looking for so I jumped on it.

At best this dealer just doesn't know what he has, at worst he is really trying to take someone to the bank.

george_co
October 31, 2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the comments, that is kind of what I thought.

George

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Mod 57 - 2 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!