Some thoughts on the .40 S&W

PDA

MagnumDweeb
September 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
This isn't a .40 S&W bashing thread, just some thoughts I had. I had not too long ago acquired a Glock 23, and my first thoughts originally were 'great get a 9mm conversion barrel and work on getting a .22lr conversion'. Well at Wally World I can get Federal .40 for less than $14 a box of fifty and the local ranges are charging $15 per 50 rd box of 9mm. So safe to say I shot a few boxes of .40. It was considerably pleasant in comparison to 9mm.

Most .40 seem to utilize a 185 grain round. More and more .45 ACP ammunition uses the 185 grain load. Most of us who are fans of the .357 magnum commonly use 158 grain loads. And us 9mm fans commonly use loads that are between 115grain and 130 grain(there are some 140 grain for SD).

There are those who say the 9mm is more powerful than .38 special because of its higher velocity, but commonly utilizing a lighter grain round, that is up for argument.

It is commonly asked what does the .40 do that the .45 ACP or 9mm doesn't. It seems to be a good compromise between high capacity and diameter and bullet weight. I like to shoot for penetration of my rounds not diameter expansion. I do prefer hollow points because of the lesser chance for richochet, but if I ever have to shoot in self-defense I want the round to be able to travel from the chest to the spine(breaking the spine). If I could find .40 with JSP or SWCHP I think the little round would be an excellent round for personal carry. As a target shooter it groups nicely at twenty yards out of the Glock 23 I own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some thoughts on the .40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
September 16, 2009, 11:56 AM
I shoot a 9mm or 38 . Don't want the weight of a heavier caliber gun and can place quick followup shots with these two. Have bought two new and lighter guns this year after 26years of carry'n. I have a full sized witness in 40 and 9mm conversion kit. Use it in matches and as a play gun and house/travel gun . Great shooter in either caliber with no preference to caliber but to big to carry. I will not own a 45 or 10mm as i allready have 357mag and 44mag and these do more than either of the pistol rounds can do. These 2 only go hunting and are loaded heavy and hot. I do like 115gr Cd ammo for the 9mm and 38, 165gr gd's or dpx for the 40. My witness does not seem to care what it shoots in either caliber, all the ammo i have tried shoots better than i can shoot it. Good gun.

Zeke/PA
September 16, 2009, 04:13 PM
I really like my Beretta Mod.96 in .40 S&W especially for ease of shooting and accuracy.
It's a bit large for a daily carry but it's a good "nightstand" piece.
Just recently, I bought a good supply of .40 cal ammo from Wally World and as you said, the price is right.

Mike J
September 16, 2009, 07:11 PM
I like both of my .40 caliber pisols XD-40 & Ruger P-944. The cool thing is all through this ammo shortage I can only think of once I went to Wally World & couldn't find .40. I actually regretted buying a P-11 in April because I couldn't find ammo anywhere. Well I did find some but had to pay twice what WalMart would have charged for range ammo.

REAPER4206969
September 16, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

NMGonzo
September 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
I, for one, I am happy I have a Glock 35.

Ammo is available and plenyful on a weekly basis.

Now ... when will I have time to shoot the danged thing?

cookekdjr
September 16, 2009, 11:53 PM
I can tell you that the .40 is a man-stopper. I have investigated a lot of shootings. It is roughly equal to .357 and .45 when it comes to social work. Any common loading from 155gr-180gr, hp or fmj, is a good load for this weapon.

hogshead
September 17, 2009, 12:01 AM
Reaper you clipped the 10 mm and girly wrist thing.

Thekid90
September 17, 2009, 03:21 AM
love my xd40. perfect sd round in my opinion, with gold dots of course.

c919
September 17, 2009, 03:58 AM
Well your OP pretty much says the most basic point: It's a compromise of power and capacity.

I personally love the .40 S&W. I think that many people who bash it have yet to find the right .40 caliber gun for them. It's all about finding your platform IMO.

It's a great round for it's intended purposes, no matter what anybody says. It does the job, period.

I can always find the rounds I'm looking for when it comes to .40 S&W, and I sure can't say that for .45, .357, 9mm, .38sp, or .380 right now. Things are getting better, but just today I went out to buy some TAP's and the only caliber available, that I needed at the store I was at, was .40.

LoneStarWings
September 17, 2009, 04:21 AM
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/10mm-1.jpg

Jokes aside, I carry a .40 and like it.

1911 Operator
September 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
40 cal is a nice effective round. it's a good compromise of weight and power. many of it's jhp offering deliver more enegry than some 45acp's.

i prefer the lightweight jhp's in this caliber, as i like the most energy delivered.

some folks say they prefer the extra penetration of the 180grn jhps, but for me, the 165 grn penetration is more than adequate form me. :D

i have the federal hst's 165grn jhps in my mp 40c. the energy is something like 465 ftlbs. :cool:

Just One Shot
September 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
There's nothing wrong with a .40 when it comes to self defense. In fact, I'm comfortable with calibers from .380 thru the .45 for CCing.

I have a tendency to think some of the .45 owners bashing of smaller calibers is due to the fact they are compensating for a shortage in some other area of their life.

:what:
:neener:
:D

9mm+
September 17, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love my XD40 and shoot it more often than anything else. There's no doubt in my mind that it's a man-stopper, especially with my Cor-Bon JHP's loaded, but the real reason I prefer shooting it is that it gives great feedback. The 9mm is a bit too poppy and shrill for my liking; nothing wrong with that, but it's not as sweet of a sound as the .40S&W. Afterall, shooting should be fun, and since we all have our different preferences and interests, I wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same about every caliber.

GunTech
September 17, 2009, 11:45 AM
40 S&W is about the biggest round you can get into a 9mm sized frame. It's all about the most power in the smallest package. It seems to be an effective and popular compromise.

possum
September 17, 2009, 11:55 AM
all of my handguns are .40 for a few reasons.
1) i reload .40 and i don't want to have to load different calibers, i want as few calibers as possible. i have been reloading it since i was a kid with my dad, so i know the loads by the book from memory.
2) i was raised on the .40, the first handgun i shot was a .40 and the first handgun i bought was an xd .40 that i still have.
3) i have so much brass (probably enough for a lifetime of shooting), and reloading components that it would be dumb for me to switch and or not continue to use it.
4) i can manage a .40 just fine, it is accurate and shootable in the platforms i own.
5) i like the fact that i can have larger grain bullets moving faster than .45 and the fact that i can have lighter weight bullets moving fast real fast. IE 155gr speer gold dots that i load at 1,220fps.
6) additionally like Guntech stated. it fits in a 9mm framed gun, which is good for me as i have small hands.

HardShell
September 17, 2009, 12:03 PM
I currently own a hundred handguns (more pistols than revolvers by >2:1) and don't own a single .40S&W, by choice. (I have owned them in the past.)

Nothing wrong with the cartridge's performance in either gel or real-world shootings, of course, and my best friend (a local PD Detective Sgt.) swears by it and wouldn't carry anything else. It just didn't do anything special for me and, in the course of a massive, long-term platform and caliber consolidation process, I kept only 9mm and .45ACP for my full-size pistols (for many reasons) and eliminated .40S&W along with a half-dozen other, even less-common calibers.

I have zero regrets about that. YMMV, as always.

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2009, 04:14 PM
Reaper you clipped the 10 mm and girly wrist thing.
The 10mm one is a photoshop. Here is were the real pic came from:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

C-grunt
September 17, 2009, 04:53 PM
I like the round after getting used to it. It has some kick to it which, when learning to shoot a pistol, can be a hinderance.

Now I shoot it more than any other round mostly because its my duty round and I get lots of free ammo from my department.

I think it has a good compromise of caliber, numbers in a mag and velocity. My PD has had good success with this round in the Federal HST 180 grn loads.

1911 Operator
September 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
some of my friends don't like the 40cal just because it has snappier recoil in a lot of models. not all though, my cz75b 40cal hardly recoils, but my m&p 40cal is quite snappy. (one of my buddies didn't like it because of that).

it's just what you prefer.

wrs840
September 17, 2009, 10:14 PM
I think "snappy" is the gun, not the round. My buddy's wife's PPS in 9mm is "snappy", my 3rd gen Smith alloy (410) and stainless (4006) frame .40s are, well, not "snappy".

Les

chieftain
September 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
Find the most reliable platform that fits you or as in the case of the 1911 can easily and inexpensively made to fit you.

Then choose that platform in the caliber it was originally designed in and for. The original caliber is usually much more reliable than any derivative.

As to which caliber? As history and science has proved over and over again, as long as it is one of the fighting calibers, the ability to “stop” the bad guy sucks equally. If you are aware of the fight that is coming, take a shoulder weapon. NO PRACTICAL HANDGUN CALIBER IS VERY GOOD. THEY SUCK EQUALLY. NO MATER WHAT MYTH OR RELIGION YOU PROFESS.

It doesn't matter how good you are with it either. It is a handgun.

The professionals about fighting with hand guns, Dr Gary Roberts and the FBI.

No doubt your opinions and experience is vastly superior to these two learned men.

Simply amazing.

Dr Gary Roberts, the leading researcher in terminal ballistics in America today:

Basically all the standard service calibers work when fed good quality ammunition. The platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. For example, Glocks and Sigs tend to run best in 9 mm; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package; while a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P, HK45, S&W 4566, or possibly the SA .45 ACP XD.

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios.

The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset

-- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice

-- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system

-- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

-- Keep shooting until the threat is neutralized; absent CNS hits, incapacitation is very frequently DELAYED until blood loss is sufficient to cause the onset of hypovolemic shock--this could be seconds, minutes, or hours...

-- If you are in a potential threat situation where you are feeling unusually suspicious, your senses are on high alert, you have "alarm bells going off" in your head, etc... if at all possible, it is time to employ a long gun instead of a handgun.

--Dr Gary Roberts Leading American terminal ballistics researcher.

The cogent advice by Urey Patrick of the FBI FTU should be routinely heeded:

“Experienced officers implicitly recognize...when potential violence is reasonably anticipated their preparations are characterized by obtaining as many shoulder weapons as possible.”
and
“...no law enforcement officer should ever plan to meet an expected attack armed only with a handgun.”

Is there anything the professionals said, that is not understandable?

America were we are free to choose to prove that Darwin was right.

Go figure.

Fred

Seven For Sure
September 18, 2009, 12:32 AM
The .40 uses 180 not 185. I like the caliber and the heavier the bullet, the more it shoots like a 45ACP. Nice, slow recoil, not snappy at all. The 165 and 155 gr. bullets are more snappy IMO. It's my first choice in a handgun caliber for carry. I like 10mm for the truck and nightstand. The .40 is'nt a compromise IMO, .45 and 9mm are.

chieftain
September 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
The .40 is'nt a compromise IMO, .45 and 9mm are.

Over 100 years of compromise?

I don't think so. There is a reason both 9 and 45 have stood the test of time and combat, military and civilian. They both work.

Go figure.

Fred

Blank Stare 73
September 18, 2009, 09:53 AM
I own an M&P .40 and really like it. It's my first semi auto, I'm typically a revolver guy. I have nothing negative to say about the M&P platform or the 40 round either.

Of course, I typically am not a negative person and don't see the point in the caliber wars.........though I do enjoy reading them....:evil:.......Most of the old timers like the 45, especially the 1911 paltform.......The younger crowd typically favor the 9mm.........and those of us who are in the middle....:neener:..... like 40!

NG VI
September 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
If I could find .40 with JSP or SWCHP I think the little round would be an excellent round for personal carry. As a target shooter it groups nicely at twenty yards out of the Glock 23 I own.

.40 JHP, especially in 165 or 180 grain, will definitely penetrate plenty deep enough while opening up and having more immediate effect than an FMJ bullet. If you want a lot of penetration, why not go with something like Hornady's XTP, that bullet typically penetrates deeper than any other functional JHP I know of. I said functional because if a bullet design doesn't open up then it might as well be FMJ, which in calibers like 9mm and .45 generally will penetrate about two feet or more in gel. I know gel isn't people but it is what we have to compare performance with, and it does a good job at it.

The .40 is'nt a compromise IMO, .45 and 9mm are.

I agree. .40 can put out a pretty hefty slug at a good clip while both 9mm and .45 have to give up one to get the other. In service pistol terms anyway.

NG VI
September 20, 2009, 01:28 PM
I have a tendency to think some of the .45 owners bashing of smaller calibers is due to the fact they are compensating for a shortage in some other area of their life.

Like muzzle velocity?

MCgunner
September 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
You can't compare a 185 JHP .45 to a 180 grain .40, sectional densities being a lot different. The 180 grain .40 will out-penetrate the 185 .45 all else being equal. So, pretty much, your whole post is sorta worthless. Just constructive criticism there. :D

There are those who say the 9mm is more powerful than .38 special because of its higher velocity, but commonly utilizing a lighter grain round, that is up for argument.

No, it's not the velocity. Out of a 2" barrel snub, my .38 +Ps kick up 270 ft lbs. My 9x19 +Ps out of my Kel Tec's 3" barrel (and it conceals in a pocket better than my snub) is pushing 410 ft lbs. That's closer to .357 magnum 2" power levels than .38 and has a lot less flash bang than .357 snubs.

Now, .38 is plenty for self defense and I'm carrying it today, in fact, but the 9 is quite superior ballistically, no arguing that! I'm plenty happy with .38 as a carry, though. The 158 grain +Ps penetrate, expand, open two holes, and have a good street track record.

The .40? Well, I don't own one, but it's a good round. I think it basically tries to satisfy the light/fast AND the big/slow crowds with a compromise. However, those camps don't tend to want to compromise. It is a good round in its own right, but just one choice in a variety of good self defense rounds. I'm not big on one particular caliber. I carry what works for me considering a variety of issues. I'd carry a .460 Smith and Wesson Magnum if I could carry one in a pocket all day, but hey, ya gotta compromise on things where carry guns are concerned. Besides, I'd worry a little about overpenetration in the .460. :D

TPD211
September 20, 2009, 02:13 PM
As a firearms instructor and police officer for 30+ years I have seen numerous of shootings with the above mentioned calibers. My Dept carry's 40 caliber Glocks.
I have seen alot of 9mm shootings in the past where the person shot is able to walk into the ER. Probably FMJ ammo or RN ammo I bet. Not a man stopper in my opinion. 9mm is very good for shot placement and ease of shooting IMO.

The 40 & 45 calibers come close or surpass the requirements to be man stoppers, either 200 + grain bullet, over 1000 FPS, or both.

Everyone knows the history of the .45 caliber bullet and its stopping power.

I'm guessing we imported the 9mm into the USA during or after WWI or WWII. I do not know the history of the 9mm in America.

If I remember correctly the 40 S&W came from the 10mm that was issued to FBI Agents in the 1980's. The 10mm is a monster to carry all day and to shoot, especially if you have small hands or are small framed. The 40 S&W was developed after complaints of the 10mm by the FBI.

I've carried a .380 as my off duty piece, not considered a man stopper by any means.

I forgot the point of the thread...... I guess I'm trying to say to carry what you have at hand, the bigger caliber the better. Heck, even a .22 has killed many a person or wild critter.

MCgunner
September 20, 2009, 03:23 PM
The 9x19 has been around since 1902. Autoloader cartridges in general haven't been popular in THIS country except in the last 30 years or so. The high cap 9 is what made 'em popular with the masses, called the "wondernines" in the press. Hollow points make most self defense rounds, not just the 9, effective and as to the definition of a "man stopper"...:rolleyes:...I've seen a fellow walk into the emergency room of Brazosport Memorial Hospital holding his guts in from being shot with a 12 gauge point blank. He survived just fine with a bit of patching up and recovery. The vaunted "man stopping" of the .45 is mostly myth, too, and comparative at best. I mean, yeah, compared to a .38 long colt, it's better. But, I don't hunt deer or hogs with it. I have killed deer and hog with the .357 magnum using handloads near 800 ft lbs at the muzzle. The .45ACP simply isn't enough gun for game past maybe 25 or 30 yards max. In it's hottest renditions, it will take game to that range limit, but not a ball round for sure. .45 ball makes around 360 ft lbs and doesn't do much tissue damage, not comparable with an 800 ft lb 165 grain Keith style lead SWC from a .357.

On human flesh for self defense uses, yes, I do want a hollowpoint bullet. The idea is to use an adequate caliber to STOP the threat and make quality hits with it until the fight stops. The 9, the .40, the .45, the .38, even the .380 is capable of that. I kinda stop with the .380 and kinda prefer at least the .38. There's really no need to go smaller than .380 considering that the LCP and P3AT type .380s are as small as the .25 I used to carry. :D

ccsniper
September 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have a .40 and love it. In fact got rid of my nines to buy more .40 cal handguns. I have read somewhere that a mortition wrote a study about 9mm, .40, and .45. He said that almost all 9mm wounds required at least 2 or 3 to completely kill the recipeint. All .40 and .45 wounds were usually one shot kills, Even if more than one round was fired into the person usually the first would have been sufficient. then again, you have stories about a guy taking 22 shots from a .40 and 17 of them hitting COM yet the guy continued to try and kill the cop who was shooting him.

DougDubya
September 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have a .40 and love it. In fact got rid of my nines to buy more .40 cal handguns. I have read somewhere that a mortition wrote a study about 9mm, .40, and .45. He said that almost all 9mm wounds required at least 2 or 3 to completely kill the recipeint. All .40 and .45 wounds were usually one shot kills, Even if more than one round was fired into the person usually the first would have been sufficient. then again, you have stories about a guy taking 22 shots from a .40 and 17 of them hitting COM yet the guy continued to try and kill the cop who was shooting him.
That "mortician" may have just been Gunkid under a brand new guise other than mall ninja. At least according to the disparity between the vast number of corpses he'd allegedly personally rummaged around in, and the general amount of time a proper autopsy takes.

Also, just because a corpse has more bullets in it doesn't mean that a coroner could tell what the body was doing when the bullet entered, or what firearm they were shot with, or whether the person who shot said corpse was firing quickly or at a slow, measured pace to tell whether their first round was effective.

BlindJustice
September 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
I saved this after extracting the information and
putting up this comparison where
you compare Light - Medium & heaviy
common weights for the caliber and
the respective cartridge for performeance

Not basing anything.

Double Tap Ammo offeringss
These are ALL Speer Gold Dot JHP
CUrrent offerings
$32.95/50 $29.95/50 $33.95/50
.45 ACP ----- .40 S&W -- 10MM Auto
185 gr 155 gr. 155 gr.
1225 fps 1,275 fps 1,475 fps
616 ft lbs 60 ft. lbs 750 ft lbs
200 gr. 165 gr. 165 gr.
1125 fps 1,200 fps 1,400 fps
562 Ft lbs 528 fl lbs 718 ft lbs
230 gr. 180 gr. 180 gr.
1,010 fps 1,100 fps 1,300 fps
521 ft lbs 484 ft lbs 676 ft lbs

With a well placed shot, think the BG is going
to know the difference?

I have a full size 1911 in .45 ACP and a CZ 75B in 9mm Parabaellum.
I've also shot the S&W M&P in .40 S&W - seems like a nice
platform just the lighter weight of the polymer frame made it 'snappy'
I thinkk They're all in the same ballpark to a degree in recoil imho.

As far as magazine capacity goes, guess it would be good in a
firefight, don't read much about that sort of thing from law abiding
citizens with CCW, though. .

Randall

M&PVolk
September 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
Not being in a "firefight" hardly seems like a justification for reduced magazine capacities. The one thing people never seem to address with mag capacity is the possibility of multiple assailants. The fact is that most criminals are actually quite cowardly, and as such, they tend to travel in groups. Let's say you are attacked by a small group of three to five people...magazine capacity suddenly becomes a very relevant matter. Even if you have the capacity, your odds are not good in this situation, so training is also of great value.

Myself, I like to have as many rounds available to me as possible in any given circumstance. Unfortunately, there are always compromises when carrying. Sometimes the max I can have is 5 shots in a J-Frame, other times it is 10+1 in my .40 with an extra mag.

This is why the .40 is so valuable to me. Greater capacity than the .45 with almost nearly identical stopping ability. All this in a frame size similar to the 9mm, allowing me to comfortably carry and reliably conceal all that power. I respect the other cartridges mentioned, but I believe the .40 is the best CCW choice of all.

MCgunner
September 20, 2009, 11:14 PM
Let's say you are attacked by a small group of three to five people.

Five attackers, five rounds in my .38. Where's the problem? :D

Anyway, once a couple of their buddies go belly up, I don't think they'll have the will to be next.

Normally, I carry a 10+1 Kel Tec if I'm going to be in big cities, though. My revolver is all I feel I need around this little town. The only murders I've heard about were in bars or caused by women. I don't know if there's ever been a murder for money around here, not to say it couldn't happen, but MS13 ain't real big here, put it that way, and me and my ol' lady are old, no one else seems to want us, so no problem there. :D Of course, if it takes a .40 to kill a man, I guess I'm screwed. But, I've heard of a few folks being put down with the lowly .25 Auto, so I don't really rely on internet wisdom for my caliber choice. :rolleyes:

Dr_2_B
September 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
I used to go with the 40 most of the time (if not 45), though I've relaxed a little and I'll carry 9's as well now.

Wheeler44
September 21, 2009, 01:58 AM
Interesting..... All this talk about a round that almost equals the .38-40 from about 105 years ago........ I can just hear my grampa and his dad...."Yeah, the .38-40 is a good round...not as big as a .45 or a 44-40 but more stoppin' power than a .36 cap and ball...

They were both law officers and carried the above....From what I hear they both preferred shotguns whenever possible....

MagnumDweeb
September 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
Eh, I was just giving the .40 its due. I like the Glock 23 mostly because ammo is quasi-plentiful and stomachbly(I know not a real word) cheap. I get a heavy grain than a 9mm, and a good amount of power behind it. Admittedly had I not gotten the Glock 23, or this ammo crisis/shortage been on, I think I would have been plenty comfortable to have never have shot the caliber. But I have, and I've ordered the Lone Wolf Conversion Barrels in 9mm and Sig. 357(have few hundred rounds in the back of the safe, hey I'm a packrat, a packrat with a ton of ammo). Pickup a couple 9mm mags locally and then I just need one of the .22lr conversion kits and I'm happy as a pig in the slop.

I think once you get above 9mm/.38 pushing a 110grain or heavier JHP in excess of 900ft/s, you've got a lethal round that once well placed will drop most BGs. But there was the Miami 1986 shootout so who knows. I've got thirteen rounds of Hydrashock riding in my little Glock, one in the chamber, in the hands of myself who can put all thirteen rounds inside a playing card at five yards in rapid succession, caliber size becomes a moot point when a jagged hole the size of a playing card gets opened up where your sternum used to be.

BlindJustice
September 21, 2009, 08:30 PM
I respect other people's choices and have nothing
against the .40 S&W. I just don't happen to have one yet.

Carry is a full size 1911 5" bbl. .45 ACP
Milt Sparks #Axiom holster and MS gun Belt,
with an IWB single mag carrier. with Wilson ETM 8 rd mags
Double Tap +P speer Gold Dot JHPs 200 gr. 1125 fps

Need a holster for my CZ 75B 9mm I like the
Double Tap Speer Gold Dot +P 147 gr. @ 1135 fps
buy the cheap Fed. 147 gr FP-FMJ for range/practice.

I've looked at various platforms for a .40 S&W
and I like the S&W M&P w/thumb safety option
nice grip and I like the trigger better than Glocks
I've shot Full size is 15 and the compact is 10 rds
mag cap. if Magnumdweeb can get cheap ammo
more apower to him.

Heck I'd like a S&W 610 10mm AUto/.40 S&W
I shoot a 625 in .45 ACP and have no problem with
the full moon clips. .45 Auto RIm 250 gr. SWC @ 900
FPS are good as well.

5 shot J Frame - MOdel 60 3" Bbl. .357 mag
but use 125 gr. Speer GD JHP .38 SPecial +P for a
more controlled recovery than those heavy magnum
loads sheeish.

have I rambled on enough? Thought SO....

Randall

WingRider
September 21, 2009, 08:39 PM
I think you know how I feel:D But I am interested in a little 9mm

BlindJustice
September 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
Forgot to mention I do have a .40 caliber

Bar Sto barrel for the 1911 in .400 CorBon
155 gr. Hornady XTP JHP @ 1350 FPS

pegan
September 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
I think the .40 is my favorite of all calibers commonly available. I have a SAXD SC in .40, a Beretta 90-two in .40, and just yesterday purchased a Cx4 in .40 with all the panic buying, the .40 has been the most commonly avail. round and is actually returning to the shelves more rapidly and more regularly than most other common calibers. I love my .40s and will probably (or not) thin out my collection and gradually move toward consolidating into the .40. It just seems a lot easier and more practical to stock a lot of one caliber ammo than trying to keep a good supply of all the various rounds my collection is chambered for.

Mike J
October 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
MagnumDweeb-I don't own one (been carrying an XD-40 service) but I really like the size of the G-23. I shot my neighbors once & it was easy to shoot. I'm not a Glock guy don't own one but I like that gun.

redactor
October 1, 2009, 12:58 PM
40 S&W is about the biggest round you can get into a 9mm sized frame. It's all about the most power in the smallest package. It seems to be an effective and popular compromise.

While it is not very popular, I believe the .45 GAP has a shorter COL than either the 9mm Luger or the 40 S&W. I don't own a 40 or a 45 GAP, but I don't have anything against either of them... Now 357 Sig, that's something we could have done without. Especially people shooting them from short-barreled Glocks at an indoor range...

makarovnik
October 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
At first I didn't want a .40. I had 9mm's and .45's so I didn't think I needed it. Now that I have one I really like it. Enough that I went out and bought a carbine in .40 also.

Good penetration and mine's fairly accurate. It looks like it might out perform the .45 acp when both are using the same FMJ.

V45C
October 1, 2009, 09:11 PM
there was a pistol i'd wanted for some time (non-H&K) and i was finally able to obtain one (won't mention the brand) , all other products from the company had worked without fail for the last ??? years , except for this accursed 40 S&W...
(apparently the factory knows about the problems but continues to ship the guns anyway)
i called the distributor because they warranty all products that they sell for life and explained the situation ...
apparently there is no 100% fix , it either works from NIB or it doesn't...
they said to return it for a 100% credit towards anything else they have , sooooooooo , i ordered a USP compact 40 V1...
since it fits the same mags and holsters as my P2K 40 LEM i figure i'm ahead of the game ...
it should be here monday...
i should have just bought the USP to begin with , oh well...

i guess i must be happy with the 40 soft and wimpy or i wouldn't keep buying them...

Hokkmike
October 2, 2009, 11:18 AM
After many years and several pistols I have settled on the .40. If I had to shoot one of the others, even the .380, I could live with it.

saturno_v
October 2, 2009, 12:38 PM
Just to clarify...the .40 S&W IS NOT a compromise compared to a .45 ACP in terms of power or stopping ability....I really do not understand what the supposed "compromise" would be.......:rolleyes:

.45&TKD
October 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
I tend to view the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp, the same way that I view 4, 6, and 8 cylinder vehicles.

A 4 cylinder will get you where you're going, and will cost less to run, but if you are driving like your life depends on it, you want an 8 cylinder. :)

pegan
October 2, 2009, 11:19 PM
but if you are driving like your life depends on it, you want an 8 cylinder.
Indy cars run 4 cylinders. I'm perfectly happy with my 6s, one is a 4.6 liter(gm), and the one in my truck is 15 liters at 550 HP (caterpillar). I feel safe saying that my 6 cyl. has more torque than half a dozen of your 8 cylinders combined(1850 foot lbs at 1200 rpm). The same can be applied to the 9mm, .40, and .45 depending on bullet weight, load and most importantly, shot placement. Keep in mind, I do own a .45 too, just no 9mm, I hate them.

Seven For Sure
October 3, 2009, 06:22 AM
My V-8's are 10mm. The .40 wins carry duty due to size of the guns.

ashtxsniper
October 3, 2009, 11:36 AM
10mm is the V10 :).

Maj Dad
October 3, 2009, 11:55 AM
I've seen grown men shot dead by 22 LRs and minimally inconvenienced by 41 mags, complaining of a headache after being shot in the back of the head with a 25 acp and everything in between. Your job is placement, the projectile's is kinetic energy transfer. Algebraically, 2 variables are not too complex, but introduce a third and you're into serious mathematics. I figure the larger the projectile, the fewer variables from that aspect; if I can reliably place a 22 but not a 45, I'd better stick with what works for me. If the job calls for a range of calibers, use whatever is in the range. One solution to all this is to have them all available: use them enough & they will become second nature. I haven't acquired a 40 yet, but I have a couple of gallons of brass, and when I hit about one more gallon, it will become necessary to get the 40 so the brass is not wasted. I'm leaning toward the Glock 22 right now... :cool:

Deltaboy
October 3, 2009, 11:55 AM
I got a 40 because the price was right it fit my hand pointed well and on paper was a more powerful round than my 9mm. It is my Cold weather CCW I carry a Old Charter Arms Undercover 38 9 months out of the year. It just works for me.

Deanimator
October 3, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've got a Glock 19 and a Glock 22. I find the Glock 19 MUCH easier to shoot than the Glock 22, which has considerable muzzle whip. That muzzle whip influenced me to buy the Glock 19 for CCW instead of a Glock 23.

rich636
October 4, 2009, 12:32 AM
I had the same experience as Deanimator. Bought a Glock 23 thinking I'd shoot it fine since I'm fine with 9mm, .38, .45acp. I couldn't shoot nearly as well with it because of the recoil and flinch I was developing. I ended up trading it off. I think I'll revisit the .40 in an all metal gun like the Sig 226 or 229. I've heard that makes a big difference.

sarduy
October 4, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've seen grown men shot dead by 22 LRs and minimally inconvenienced by 41 mags, complaining of a headache after being shot in the back of the head with a 25 acp and everything in between. Your job is placement, the projectile's is kinetic energy transfer. Algebraically, 2 variables are not too complex, but introduce a third and you're into serious mathematics. I figure the larger the projectile, the fewer variables from that aspect; if I can reliably place a 22 but not a 45, I'd better stick with what works for me. If the job calls for a range of calibers, use whatever is in the range. One solution to all this is to have them all available: use them enough & they will become second nature. I haven't acquired a 40 yet, but I have a couple of gallons of brass, and when I hit about one more gallon, it will become necessary to get the 40 so the brass is not wasted. I'm leaning toward the Glock 22 right now... :cool:

take a look at the sigma .40 for 299 + special offers from SW

m2steven
October 4, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think that the 40 hits harder, approx the same as the 45 caliber at much less the price of the 45 with the ability to carry double digit magazines of ammunition in the pistol. Simple and sweet. It's a great round.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some thoughts on the .40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!