What's this?

PDA

deanpf
September 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
I picked this up in a thrift shop. I know it's for reloading and possibly a powder measure but I'm really not sure.
Yes, I'm new to this stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ranger335v
September 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
It a powder measure, probably from a shotshell loader. That type used bushings with varying sized holes to dispense the charges by moving the sliding bar. Pacific went under a few dacades back, Hornady bought the residue equipment and started making loading tools under their own label at that time.

deanpf
September 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks! You confirmed what I had guessed.
The label does show "Pacific Tool Co. (Div. of Hornady)".

rcmodel
September 16, 2009, 01:09 PM
Due to the small hopper, I'm thinking it is a fixed capacity (bushing type) pistol measure.

Most shotgun measures that use a sliding bar and bushings have two hoppers, and measure both powder & shot with the same bar, depending on which way you slide the bar.

rc

loadedround
September 16, 2009, 01:36 PM
FYI, Hornady Mfg. Co. bought out Pacific quite a few years ago.

Steve C
September 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
The round knob on the side that's almost obscured makes it look like this current Little Dandy pistol powder measure by RCBS. I believe Pacific was the original manufacturer of this measure.

These measures use a fixed amount bushing that's available in various sizes to dispense various amounts of powder. The correct bushing for the charge desired is purchased and inserted in the measure and powder is dispensed when the rotor is turned.
http://media.midwayusa.com/HighRes/545386.jpg

Walkalong
September 16, 2009, 01:39 PM
It is an old pistol powder measure that uses interchangable brass bushings. I have a newer version (marked Hornady) I used to use years ago. They work well.

rcmodel
September 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
powder is dispensed when the rotor is turned.
Naw.
It's a sliding bar with a bushing.
The knurled nut on the end is so you can take the slide out to change bushings.

rc

Howard B
September 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
It predated the Little Dandy by several years. I still use mine from time to time and it works just fine. Finding bushings however, is on the same plane as finding chicken's teeth.

deanpf
September 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the input.
I think that it is a pistol measure because of the small bushing. Yes the knurled end knobs do come off to pull the brass bar out "to change bushings"!?!
Thanks again to all for the info.

Dean P.

Walkalong
September 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Here is my old one with my box of bushings. The springs and black metal piece on the end of the slide I made. I set it up to automatically drop powder when used on my old Projector. I am not sure where the operating arm I made is, or I would have included it in the pic. I made a couple of those bushings, and a couple are just reamed out to a bigger size (ea: 8 - M, etc)

ReloaderFred
September 16, 2009, 06:51 PM
I also used to have one. They were pretty good little powder measures, if you had enough bushings. I traded mine about 8 or 9 years ago, along with a couple dozen bushings. It was just collecting dust and a friend decided he needed it more than I did, so for a small amount of trading, it was his...

Hope this helps.

Fred

ranger335v
September 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
RC: "Due to the small hopper, I'm thinking it is a fixed capacity (bushing type) pistol measure."

You're probably right, I can't tell much about it's size from the isolated photo. It's made in the same style as some of the old shotshell dispensers so guessed that's what it is.

The RCBS "Lil' Dandy" was a copy of Lyman's "Accumeasure" rotary pistol powder measure of some 15-20 years ago. For once, I was smart enough to buy the complete set of bushings for mine when they were still available. Don't use it often but it works very good, I'm sure the Dandy does too.

Dean, if you have access to, or a friend has, a metal lathe you can easily turn some new bushings for it but unless you're REALLY lucky you won't be buying any.

Walkalong
September 16, 2009, 10:28 PM
Yep, no new bushings, but they are easy to make if you have a lathe.

rcmodel
September 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
Not sure, but these might be the ones.
They no longer make a bushing measure.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/handgun_pwdr_meas_chrt.pdf

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=86427dfcf7870e49afc63418548790bb

rc

Walkalong
September 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Interesting. I know places like Midway etc have not had them for years now. That is a newer chart than the one I have as well.

rcmodel
September 17, 2009, 12:08 PM
Do the numbers match up with the ones on your older chart?

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!