Feral hogs with .45 ACP ??

PDA

Clarence
September 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
I would like to hear from folks who have actually shot a feral hog with a .45 ACP.

I'm interested mainly in whether the .45 ACP can reliably kill and if so........up to what range? How about bullet selection and penetration?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral hogs with .45 ACP ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamaBob
September 16, 2009, 08:45 PM
i would look at the thread about 45 carbines in rifle country they are talking about accuracy and such i know this does not answer the op but might give a little insight into your question

Flintknapper
September 16, 2009, 10:46 PM
It can be done, my Daughter has taken several hogs with my .45acp

In this pic. she is just 13 yrs old (10 yrs ago).
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/jessicas_hog.jpg

This is a boar I snared recently….then used the 45 to dispatch it.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/snare_boar_a.jpg

Although the .45acp can be successfully employed….I would recommend something more powerful. All of the hogs mentioned above were taken under very controlled conditions.

None of the hogs harvested by my Daughter were more than 15 yds. away… and none weighed over 160 lbs. I set up a dedicated “hog stand” alongside a heavily used trail that allowed for good broadside shots at distances from 12-15 yds.

All shots were placed in the neck of the animal followed by a quick “insurance” shot to the chest area (whether needed or not). The cartridge used in each instance was a CorBon 230 gr. jacketed hollow point. We never had any “exits” with this round….so “penetration” is something to consider if angles are less than perfect.

IMO, the venerable 45 can be “pressed” into service IF:

1. Shots are close range (under 25 yds.)

2. Shot is precisely placed.

3. Hog is fairly small (150 lbs. or less).

4. Hunter is in a safe location (elevated stand or has an adequate escape route/tree/cover).

5. Hunter is proficient at tracking. (Hogs are famous for leaving little or no blood trail when there is no exit wound).

Can the 45 be used to take hogs, yes.

But….if you have a larger, more powerful weapon….I would opt for that.

Flint.

MCgunner
September 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
I normally put 'em down in the trap with a .38, but have used a .22. Head shots are quick, just like a stun gun in the slaughter house. However, hunting, I'd want at least my .357 magnum. It carries more energy farther than a .45 ACP. Up close, the .45 Colt pushing a 300 grain XTP at 1120 fps.

Oh, the ACP can kill a hog just fine out to 20 or 30 yards, especially a 200 lb or less meat hog, I just don't normally think of it as a primary weapon, have better to choose from, and sorta prefer revolvers.

Birdmang
September 16, 2009, 11:10 PM
My friend took a 350 lber down this weekend with 5 shots from a .45 Sig.

PT1911
September 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
5 SHOTS? IT TOOK 5 SHOTS? Someone needs to learn how to shoot.

Birdmang
September 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
It was running at him and he was scared...

PT1911
September 16, 2009, 11:15 PM
HA... that would explain it.. .so it was 5 shots and a new pair of shorts.

Beetle Bailey
September 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well, one of my hunting buddies used his 1911 (Springfield Loaded) with 230 gr. Remington Golden Sabers to finish off a 180 lbs. hog. He first completely severed the spine with a .30-06, anchoring the pig. It was still alive but unable to move, so he got real close and used the .45 on the top of the pig's head. The Golden Saber had no problem penetrating the skull and it was lights out for that pig. Personally, I would have just shot the pig again with the .30-06 but the .45 worked just fine for a coup-de-grace. Range was less than 7 yards, as he just walked up behind the paralyzed pig.

kanook
September 17, 2009, 08:15 AM
Lastnight I let a 250 to 300 lb boar walk because I was unsure my crossbow would be addaquite at 60 yds. It was almost dark and I hate to track something that has the ability to do bodily harm to me if I can't see it.

I have used my Raptor Ultra Carry at 30 yds because I was very sure of my shot. I practice a lot with my daily carry and I am aware of it's limitations.

Stay away from soft point (I have seen them deflect) and learn where to shoot. If you have another choice of caliber that might be better.

Marlin 45 carbine
September 17, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've used my Marlin Camp .45 to take wild/feral hog at range around 30 yds/100' or so from a ground blind near bait. I use hot handloaded 185gr Rem GS slugs. all one shot kills, head (one, took off a sizeable chunk of skull & brain tissue)) and base of skull/neck (one, punched through the spine) and neck/shoulder juncture (one - broke the spine, this one was a big boy and the slug did not exit).
I've also taken 2 with my Black Powder revolvers a '58 Rem and an ROA. the one I took with the ROA I shot a 'trotting' sow of about 300lbs and hit too far back for a quick drop so a long track of nearly 1/2 mile following blood before we found it piled in thicket near bled out but another 'coupe' shot to the head was in order.
IMO a rifle is needed, at least a .22 Mag. a 30-30 would likely be ideal.

MCgunner
September 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
I like big, flat SWCs. When I was chasing pigs in my younger days with a guy that had dogs, I worked up a load for my AMT Hardballer, amazingly would feed it, but only when I seated it out to the point the thing was head spacing on the bullet touching the rifling. :rolleyes: That gun was sensitive to OAL. Anyway, it is a 200 grain SWC from a Lee mold and I was juicing it up, I think with Unique, to over 500 ft lbs. It was hot enough that a recoil buffer lasted about 10 shots and came out flat as a pancake and that with a 22 lb recoil spring. That's when I traded out for the .45 Colt Blackhawk and worked up my 300 grain load, when I was hunting with that guy and his dogs. It wasn't the kill weapon, a knife was. It was a "just in case" gun. The guy really didn't wanna shoot around his dogs, but he'd seen me win competitive shoots and knew I could handle the gun.

That 200 grain SWC mold is very accurate. I still shoot that bullet in front of 5.0 grains of Unique for practice with my Ruger P90. It needs +P levels for hunting, though.

Olympus
September 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've seen a hog taken with a 9x18 Makarov just last year from about 15 yards. I wouldn't have believed it, but I saw it myself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral hogs with .45 ACP ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!