Journalist's Firearms Identification Guide

PDA

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 17, 2009, 04:13 AM
Sorry if this isn't "high road" delete it if it is please. Just thought it was funny and figured I'd share it.

Journalist's Firearms Identification Guide:

If you enjoyed reading about "Journalist's Firearms Identification Guide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
September 17, 2009, 04:24 AM
That's funny...

About right...too...

Walkalong
September 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
Yep, just about right...

grilledcheese
September 17, 2009, 09:16 AM
Awesome. I'm always getting those confused...:)

Jeffrey

hammerklavier
September 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
Not quite right. They do know what an RPG is, and the pistols are all 9mm AK-47s. The car is a small SUV (with a trunk full of AK-47s, no doubt).

Mike J
September 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
That would be funny if it wasn't true

lebowski
September 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
It leaves out the ubiquitous application of "machine gun". To a journalist, anything with even semi auto fire and more than 10rd capacity is a "machine gun".

Legionnaire
September 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't the pistols all be "Glocks?"

Mp7
September 17, 2009, 10:23 AM
nah, now that would be the rapperīs guide to firearms :)

herkyguy
September 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
I almost had a panic attack just looking at all those AK-47s at the same time. Someone could have been seriously injured or killed by the mere presence of all those photos on one page. Perhaps someone should write an op-ed about the senseless violence that arises from multiple assault weapons shown in one image.

RS14
September 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
This thread reminds me of a gem of a statement I found recently: "Civilian semiautomatic assault weapons incorporate all of the functional design features that make assault weapons so deadly. They are arguably more deadly than military versions, because most experts agree that semiautomatic fire is more accurate and thus more lethal than automatic fire. 1 (http://www.vpc.org/studies/hoseone.htm)"

Too bad they're serious about it. :banghead:

ishida
September 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
Don't forget credit where credit is due.

That was created by Robb Allen, of Sharp as a Marble (blog.robballen.com)

hso
September 17, 2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry if this isn't "high road" delete it if it is please.

Moderator endorsed, kid approved.:cool:

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 17, 2009, 06:41 PM
Nice!

A gem I heard the other day (gotta love NYC newspapers):

"Rapid fire semi-automatic assault weapons"

mljdeckard
September 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
They call RPGs Stinger Missiles.

All joking aside, remember Goebbels: "If you tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth." DON'T LET LIES GO UNCHALLENGED. Write letters to the editor. For TV news stories too. YELL AT THEM. Turn political correctness against them and GET OFFENDED.

searcher451
September 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
It would be funnier still if there wasn't at least a hint of truth to it.

Erik M
September 17, 2009, 11:38 PM
One of the mods actually posted that in a thread about a week ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5899181&postcount=243

pikid89
September 17, 2009, 11:43 PM
nah, now that would be the rapperīs guide to firearms

lol no i think a rapper would refer to the pistols as a "gat" and the AKs as a "Choppa" but im just a white kid from south florida so i may be wrong lol

2aHawaii
September 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
That was great :)

iHateRodents
September 18, 2009, 08:59 PM
Can't forget the .50 Caliber Sniper Rifles :D

Starship1st
September 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
I am surprised they are not labled, "Assualt Weapons". :cool:

PandaBearBG
September 19, 2009, 10:34 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, love it!

DeadLiver
September 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
IHateRodents beat me to the ubiquitous .50 cal sniper rifles.

scott5
September 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hello all,
If we all will complain to the FCC and the newspaper/TV station/TV newsmagazine, whatnot that gets everything gun related wrong, at the end of the year we can complain to the FCC come renewal time for the TV station licence and maybe the station will take notice when they have to fight to retain their licence.

Just a thought.

NMGonzo
September 19, 2009, 09:24 PM
Can I call my .44 "Revolver of Manly Mass Destruction"?.

Six shooter was taken!

fattboyzz
September 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
sad truth about people who know everything about nothing !!

The Lone Haranguer
September 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
"They are arguably more deadly than military versions, because most experts agree that semiautomatic fire is more accurate and thus more lethal than automatic fire. 1"

There is actually a grain of truth in this.

offroaddiver
September 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
I had a conversation with my manager about guns, and which ones would be good for home defense. My first response was doesn't matter what you buy as long as you are accurate with it and have some training and range time. He said he wanted a glock and described to me what was any semi auto pistol. Then said an assault rifle would be nice for taking out rabid animals as he described any semi-auto.

After a few minutes of discussion he understood that the general description of guns was very misleading, I proceded to take him out to my car and show him my black sniper rifle used to take out vermin at long ranges (22lr bolt action)

People are stupid. Sure a person can come up with beautiful ideas, even 2 or 3 persons can have great insight. As soon as it is a crowd of people the intelligence is no longer evident.

RS14
September 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
There is actually a grain of truth in this.

You're right, in that there are times when semi-automatic fire will be more effective. But military assault rifles are selective fire. If semi-automatic fire is more suitable for your task, flip the switch, and the military rifle becomes just as capable as the civilian one.

Hello all,
If we all will complain to the FCC and the newspaper/TV station/TV newsmagazine, whatnot that gets everything gun related wrong, at the end of the year we can complain to the FCC come renewal time for the TV station licence and maybe the station will take notice when they have to fight to retain their licence.

Just a thought.

The FCC has little if any authority over newspapers. You may want to take a look at what they say about complaints against new broadcasts here (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/journalism.html). Notably, "It is not sufficient for a complaint to allege only that a broadcast station made a mistake in reporting a news event. The complaint must include documented evidence showing deliberate misrepresentation." Specifically, "This kind of evidence could include testimony, in writing or otherwise, from “insiders” or persons who have direct personal knowledge of an intentional falsification of the news. Of particular concern would be evidence about orders from station management to falsify the news. In the absence of such documented evidence, the FCC has stressed that it cannot intervene. "

Frankly, I don't feel that identifying and censoring false information should be within the powers of our government, at least not when it comes to the press.

stchman
September 21, 2009, 04:09 PM
I think as far as rappers and gang bangers are concerned:

All semi-auto pistols are Glocks

All revolvers are Smif & Wessuns

All semi-autos with bling are "Deagles"

Got it.

PhilA
September 21, 2009, 09:15 PM
You forgot the words "cop-killer" or "high-powered" before each of those descriptions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Journalist's Firearms Identification Guide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!